BNB and the curse of IC title

CyberPunk

The Show himself
So SD happened. A few feuds progressed. Amidst all of this something significantly insignificant happened. Yes, the IC champion Bad News Barrett lost to R-Truth. Nothing significant. He lost and yeah, that's it. And I was left scratching my head.

Why does WWE put IC title on Barrett? Every time he has the title, the only thing he ever does is lose. During this run, he has already lost to likes of Sin Cara and R-truth. I kinda feel for the guy because every time he's been given the title, it has pegged his career back. The only good run he has had with the title was cut short by an injury last year. It's like kiss of death for Barrett. I don't understand this and it irks me. He is not a chickenshit heel, but majority of his IC title reigns are booked like he can't win to save his life. Why give him the title if he's supposed to job almost all the time?

I just don't get it. Why is Barrett cursed with the Intercontinental Championship?

Well to be fair to Barrett, Ambrose was sitting outside the ring distracting him the whole time. Yes Barrett could have just said to hell with him, but for some reason they always have to start the trash talk and lose the match.

It was quite funny how Ambrose sat there with his back turned. I see Barrett winning on Sunday though, and the rematch at Mania where Ambrose will win.

Shortly after Barrett returned, I posted a thread anticipating an "inevitable" feud between Ziggler and BNB. In a reply, Jack-Hammer said something along the lines of suggesting Barrett stay away from the IC title, as his runs have always seemed cursed. To which, I accused him of some superstition. He was right, though, and I can't refute this thread either.

I had such high hopes for this run, because despite some hot-shotting of the Intercontinental Championship, the belt was beginning to develop some traction and consistency in booking. This consistency was bolded and underlined by Dolph's fantastic contests with Harper, Cesaro, and other various contests on Raw or Smackdown. Unfortunately, Barrett's run has coincided with a return to lackluster booking, and he has yet to deliver a great match.

Until the mid card championship picture is embedded in a long term plan, BNB, or whoever is holding it, might be cursed. That curse shall hence forth be called "creative".

I honestly don't know what it is to be perfectly honest. Wade Barrett is someone with a lot of ability. He's very solid on the mic, he's a good sized guy with a good natural look and he can often deliver strong matches inside the ring. If I could ask Vince McMahon a question and if I know I'd get a straight answer, I'd ask what the deal is with Barrett as Intercontinental Champion.

Barrett's a 5 time Intercontinental Champion, yet there have been very, very, very few people since its creation in 1979 who have gotten less out being champion than Wade Barrett has. And, for the life of me, I can't think of one logical reason why and it frustrates the hell out of me. I've been a fan of Barrett since his days in NXT 5 years back and while it'd suck if he was just floating around the card, it's much worse because he's a champion. Being a champion is supposed to mean something, yet Barrett is jobbed out week after week and has been every time he's been champion.

I honestly don't know what it is to be perfectly honest. Wade Barrett is someone with a lot of ability. He's very solid on the mic, he's a good sized guy with a good natural look and he can often deliver strong matches inside the ring. If I could ask Vince McMahon a question and if I know I'd get a straight answer, I'd ask what the deal is with Barrett as Intercontinental Champion.

Barrett's a 5 time Intercontinental Champion, yet there have been very, very, very few people since its creation in 1979 who have gotten less out being champion than Wade Barrett has. And, for the life of me, I can't think of one logical reason why and it frustrates the hell out of me. I've been a fan of Barrett since his days in NXT 5 years back and while it'd suck if he was just floating around the card, it's much worse because he's a champion. Being a champion is supposed to mean something, yet Barrett is jobbed out week after week and has been every time he's been champion.

Could this be something like Ziggler and his concussion? When I restarted watching after SS2013, Ziggler was losing almost every match after returning from a concussion, and I feel Barrett's injury record is playing a part in how he is booked, so that fans don't get wholly invested in him as a performer.

That's about the only explanation I can give, and even I am puzzled by it myself. Last night's match was for storyline purposes, but the fact that this Ambrose vs Barrett match has been done with Barrett looking like pure chump means that I can totally understand the frustration... that said, I did mention some point before, that this IC title run was given to Barrett just to keep him somewhat relevant but nowhere near being an important part of the show, thus this programme with Ambrose is strictly to give Dean something to do, rather than it being anything for Barrett.

I swear to God, R-Truth has gotten some huge wins this year. I remember he upset somebody else but I can't remember who (Rollins?). R-Truth for IC Champ!

But seriously... I don't know what's going on with Wade Barrett and his awful booking. I can't see him holding the IC title past Mania and that will make him a 5 time lacklustre IC Champ. 5 times! This guy was supposed to be a clear cut main eventer 3 years ago already, but injuries and other factors obviously have derailed his progress. I fear Wade Barrett will become one of the many wasted WWE talents. 10 years from now, people will be looking back wondering how the hell this guy never won the World Title. I hope that's not the case, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Every time I think Barrett is in line for a push, he either gets hurt or WWE decides to do something with him that kills his momentum (BNZ...) I hope he eventually gets his chance, but time is starting to tick away.

So SD happened. A few feuds progressed. Amidst all of this something significantly insignificant happened. Yes, the IC champion Bad News Barrett lost to R-Truth. Nothing significant. He lost and yeah, that's it. And I was left scratching my head.

Why does WWE put IC title on Barrett? Every time he has the title, the only thing he ever does is lose. During this run, he has already lost to likes of Sin Cara and R-truth. I kinda feel for the guy because every time he's been given the title, it has pegged his career back. The only good run he has had with the title was cut short by an injury last year. It's like kiss of death for Barrett. I don't understand this and it irks me. He is not a chickenshit heel, but majority of his IC title reigns are booked like he can't win to save his life. Why give him the title if he's supposed to job almost all the time?

I just don't get it. Why is Barrett cursed with the Intercontinental Championship?

I have no idea. I can't even make sense of this at all. All I can speculate is who I think he'd lose it on Sunday. I still remember WrestleMania 29, he lost the title to Miz then won it back the next day.

If it was up to me, I'd turn him face and just move him to the US title division or have him form an alliance with Sheamus.

The problem isn't the IC title or Wade Barrett as a performer... and before the dreaded R word gets bandied about it's not necessarily that... but the reality is Vince is NEVER gonna go with a non North American as his main guy.

Barrett is great at what he does, just like Davey Boy and Regal were... able to get the fans onside or drive them crazy with their heel antics. Wade arguably is the most naturally charismatic of all 3 guys, he comes across as the one guy from WWE who you'd want to hang out with... knowing full well he'd kick the shit out of you at the end.

From a business perspective, having UK based talent like those 3 guys (add Sheamus and down the line Balor and even Paige) to that equation is a useful thing. It guarantees strong houses on European tours and gives international depth to the roster. But when your core business is US based, how many Americans are gonna be happy to pay for a Mania main event of Balor v Bad News Barrett for the title? Sad as it sounds the US audience want US involvement in the top matches and "USA...USA..." is what has built the WWE.

So guys like Regal and Davey had to settle... they had to settle for the odd main event run but being used as that Upper midcard guy who never quite makes it, but the fact they could would sell a show or two in their homeland...

Barrett himself has had a bit of a journey within WWE himself and that he's one of the more intelligent guys on the roster has probably worked against him (Marine Biology degree no less) along with dumb luck. His arrest that never was nearly got him deported and caused problems with his greencard... the cop got it wrong but Barrett paid a price... likewise with his injuries... but the one he got wrong himself and that probably still causes him the most trouble was the interview where he said he would be retired in 5 years... That was 3 years or so ago and it basically killed his career for a long time... Why is WWE gonna invest in a main event push on someone, which will take 2 years to bear fruit if it's only gonna last 3 more before they're looking for the door... Someone like Mark Henry could say that and still get it... BNB couldn't and it's taken until now for them to even look at him seriously again. He was clearly looking at WWE as a "stepping stone" at the time. Arguably he now perhaps has more fire and passion but injuries have shortened the career potential... be careful what you wish for is probably the moral.

Maybe they just never will get behind him... or perhaps they are waiting till Balor is up there or heel Sheamus is ready and they headline a BIG UK show where BNB gets the big one... if he ever does, it won't be for long cos of the USA stuff above... but he's the kind of guy who could cash in the case for a month or two reign or walk out of a Chamber or Scramble with the belt for a short reign... He's never gonna get a prolonged reign as the top man.

So is the IC the curse? or is it just a combination of unfortunate events? No one can deny BNB has the potential, not even Vince... I liken him to the modern day Scott Hall in terms of career overall... not for his demons etc but for the fact he could still be a "top name", major part of the show but never really get near a World title and it not be a problem. BNB has more IC titles than Hall already, his run has been almost identical to Razor's... and he still got in the HOF... so there is hope for Barrett.

Let's face it, he's not like a Ziggler where he is booking comedy gigs and causing problems... so he's more likely than him to get it... but at some point Vince might have decided "This guys more trouble than he's worth" and it may take Trips taking over for him to get over that hump.

To be fair, BnB actually did win quite a bit during his previous run as the IC champion. The only times he lost tended to be against the bigger fish, like Sheamus and Reigns. I have no idea why WWE is booking him to be so weak right now. Ambrose won't benefit from this feud at all, as he has either defeated a weakling or loses to a weakling.

The problem isn't the IC title or Wade Barrett as a performer... and before the dreaded R word gets bandied about it's not necessarily that... but the reality is Vince is NEVER gonna go with a non North American as his main guy.

Barrett is great at what he does, just like Davey Boy and Regal were... able to get the fans onside or drive them crazy with their heel antics. Wade arguably is the most naturally charismatic of all 3 guys, he comes across as the one guy from WWE who you'd want to hang out with... knowing full well he'd kick the shit out of you at the end.

From a business perspective, having UK based talent like those 3 guys (add Sheamus and down the line Balor and even Paige) to that equation is a useful thing. It guarantees strong houses on European tours and gives international depth to the roster. But when your core business is US based, how many Americans are gonna be happy to pay for a Mania main event of Balor v Bad News Barrett for the title? Sad as it sounds the US audience want US involvement in the top matches and "USA...USA..." is what has built the WWE.

So guys like Regal and Davey had to settle... they had to settle for the odd main event run but being used as that Upper midcard guy who never quite makes it, but the fact they could would sell a show or two in their homeland...

Barrett himself has had a bit of a journey within WWE himself and that he's one of the more intelligent guys on the roster has probably worked against him (Marine Biology degree no less) along with dumb luck. His arrest that never was nearly got him deported and caused problems with his greencard... the cop got it wrong but Barrett paid a price... likewise with his injuries... but the one he got wrong himself and that probably still causes him the most trouble was the interview where he said he would be retired in 5 years... That was 3 years or so ago and it basically killed his career for a long time... Why is WWE gonna invest in a main event push on someone, which will take 2 years to bear fruit if it's only gonna last 3 more before they're looking for the door... Someone like Mark Henry could say that and still get it... BNB couldn't and it's taken until now for them to even look at him seriously again. He was clearly looking at WWE as a "stepping stone" at the time. Arguably he now perhaps has more fire and passion but injuries have shortened the career potential... be careful what you wish for is probably the moral.

Maybe they just never will get behind him... or perhaps they are waiting till Balor is up there or heel Sheamus is ready and they headline a BIG UK show where BNB gets the big one... if he ever does, it won't be for long cos of the USA stuff above... but he's the kind of guy who could cash in the case for a month or two reign or walk out of a Chamber or Scramble with the belt for a short reign... He's never gonna get a prolonged reign as the top man.

So is the IC the curse? or is it just a combination of unfortunate events? No one can deny BNB has the potential, not even Vince... I liken him to the modern day Scott Hall in terms of career overall... not for his demons etc but for the fact he could still be a "top name", major part of the show but never really get near a World title and it not be a problem. BNB has more IC titles than Hall already, his run has been almost identical to Razor's... and he still got in the HOF... so there is hope for Barrett.

Let's face it, he's not like a Ziggler where he is booking comedy gigs and causing problems... so he's more likely than him to get it... but at some point Vince might have decided "This guys more trouble than he's worth" and it may take Trips taking over for him to get over that hump.

I agree with everything that you've said. However, my point is why give him the IC title if you're going to job him to everyone? I am sure and accepting of the fact that he might never make it to the main event. But when you have a midcard title on him, why job him to likes of Sin Caras and R-truths? IC championship is supposedly the second biggest prize in WWE. Then book your champion like that. Losing to lower card guys does nothing for those who won, and in process they've made Barrett look like an incompetent, undeserving champion.

He may very well retain his title against Ambrose at Fastlane, but again, it doesn't do much for Barrett and adds to Ambrose's already lousy record of not winning important PPV matches. Why take away credibility of your champion?

If it was up to me, I'd turn him face and just move him to the US title division or have him form an alliance with Sheamus.

I like the idea of turning him face because it goes strictly against anything we've seen from him yet. Even heels as evil as Seth Rollins and Randy Orton (as a bad guy) have their moments of "normalcy" on the mic and in the ring, even if they're being sarcastic or condescending.

Not Bad News Barrett. He's always the bellicose bully, never a nice word for anyone or anything....issuing his "bad news" pronouncements from a position he plainly considers to be above the rest of us.

I'm almost ashamed to say I tuned into that stupid diva show last night and watched a segment with BNB and Alicia Fox. Apparently, they had dated and he dumped her. Now, she was coming to him, vulnerable and upset. He spoke to her with compassion and warmth (I couldn't hear his voice but you could see it on his face and the set of his mouth) and it made me realize that the "nice" side of Barrett is something we've never seen on Raw or Smackdown. Never.

I think this "total heel" persona is the reason he loses even when holding the IC title. At first I was surprised when he won it immediately after returning from injury, but it became apparent that he's the bad guy who's going to present as a loudmouthed jerk with no virtues at all, yet doomed to take a pratfall at every turn. We enjoy seeing a wise guy get knocked on his ass. It seems to be the formula the company feels fits Wade best.

Someday, he'll be a good guy if for no other reason than everyone goes back and forth if they're around long enough. It will be really interesting to see him present the face he showed to Alicia on the reality program. Until then, he'll lose a lot, including dropping.....and regaining....the IC belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back