Black Wrestlers and Why They Suck

Pope sucks. He's the most overrated wrestler on the TNA roster, maybe on this planet (second to The Miz, of course).

Black wrestlers are still booked as black wrestlers, and I think it hurts them.

At least we agree on the bolded part.

No wait, I agree with what you said about black wrestlers too. It hurts them when they are booked simply as black wrestlers. Its like booking every American wrestler as an American hero or an all-american.

I think that they should be given a gimmick that does not make use of the fact that they are...um...black.

I think the problem could be the lack of variety of available talented black wrestlers. From what I see on TV, they are either really big and strong or are playing the suave/brash personality. When you look at physical specimens such as Monty Brown or Big Zeke, the easiest thing would be to push him as a dominating force. As for the personality on-screen, I am unsure of this but maybe those stuck with a rapper gimmick or have a brash attitude on screen display some of the characteristics behind the scene. Hence it is easier to put the gimmick on these wrestlers. I wonder whether Kofi and Orlando were different because they have a personality that is completely different from the stereotype.

Of course it is lazy booking but if you can make the crowd notice a wrestler with minimal effort why not?

Pope sucks. He's the most overrated wrestler on the TNA roster, maybe on this planet (second to The Miz, of course).

Black wrestlers are still booked as black wrestlers, and I think it hurts them.

It amuses me to no end that you're accusing the Pope of being overrated when you have Faarooq in your sig.

It amuses me to no end that you're accusing the Pope of being overrated when you have Faarooq in your sig.

:lol:

Yeah and Faarooq was WCW Champ at one point.

Pope is not bad. He was super over just a few months back but has lost his momentum after getting injured.

It also amuses me Macca that your sig is based off a guy you met on the internet.

Ron Simmons wasn't anything special, I'll give you that. But whatever he was, it was better than The Pope. Ron was a big, strong guy who actually moved quite well. Not only was he WCW champion (the Fist black champion, mind you), he went on to lead a huge stable in the WWF, and formed a great tag team with Bradshaw. So obviously someone saw something in him, even if you didn't.

He's also responsible for what may be the best wrestling-related meme ever.

Faarooq was a great example of a black wrestler making it without having one of two stock gimmicks. HE was the first black world champion,he made it plausible for the rest of them to come in and give it their all.

The Rock doesn't count because he he's A)Half-Samoan and B)Ted Dibiase Jr. done right.They took his natural charisma and family history and ran with it,and it struck fucking gold.

There are two young guys who instantly come to mind as having a shot at breaking the "typical black wrestler gimmick" mold. #1 is on NXT4; Byron Saxton. Basically a black Alex Riley to every degree. Then we have #2, Abraham motherfucking Washington. He is anything but a rapper or thug, and he might well be the most over babyface on FCW right now.

I liked Consequences Creed. And I can remember a few back in the day, JYD, Butch Reed, Koko B. Ware, and Rocky Johnson to name a few. And what about Tarver, Otunga and Young? Ok, maybe Otunga and Young do suck, but they don't have the rapper/thug gimmick...

Tarver has five kids...Otunga gets stars cut into his hair,I'll give you Young but he's an ass

I'm not talking old school. I'm talking present day

The Rock doesn't count because he he's A)Half-Samoan

So a guy who's miced race (e.g. one black parent, one white parent) who doesn't suck can't be classed as a black wrestler to you??? seems a bit strange

and B)Ted Dibiase Jr. done right.They took his natural charisma and family history and ran with it,and it struck fucking gold.

Yeah that happened during the Rocky Mavia time, but when he became The Rock, I don't remember anyone mentioning his family history on a regular basis (if at all) when he was wrestling. They only do that when the person needs something to help get them over, and The Rock didn't need it to get over, he did it on his own.

So a guy who's miced race (e.g. one black parent, one white parent) who doesn't suck can't be classed as a black wrestler to you??? seems a bit strange

It's not that it doesn't count to me,it doesn't count to them. They're only gonna slightly mention his dad and then give full credit of his success to his Anoa'i heritage.

Yeah that happened during the Rocky Mavia time, but when he became The Rock, I don't remember anyone mentioning his family history on a regular basis (if at all) when he was wrestling. They only do that when the person needs something to help get them over, and The Rock didn't need it to get over, he did it on his own.

Na,he was the blue chipper first,then the corporate champion,and then his mic skills picked up and took off.

The Rock doesn't count because he he's A)Half-Samoan and B)Ted Dibiase Jr. done right.They took his natural charisma and family history and ran with it,and it struck fucking gold.
Why does that mean he doesn't count? Maybe you worded it wrong, but are you saying that the Rock doesn't count as being black because he succeded in his gimmick? Or just saying his an exception?

Why does that mean he doesn't count? Maybe you worded it wrong, but are you saying that the Rock doesn't count as being black because he succeded in his gimmick? Or just saying his an exception?

His is an exception because he wasn't stuck with the gimmick of being a rapper/thug or the token big black guy. He was charismatic,funny, and always kept you wanting more. After he split from the corporation he really didn't even have much of a gimmick,he was just the Rock. Don't get me wrong now,I love me some Dwayne, I'm just saying it's time to see a black man get over without resorting to tired stereotypes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back