Black Ops VS Modern Warfare?

MrAnderson123

Occasional Pre-Show
Simple as peas.
Which one do you prefer and why?

Simply, I prefer BO2 at the moment, as it's the newest game from COD.
But before that, it was MW2. It was just the perfect game to play.

So this thread is pretty much asking which pile of shit you prefer to eat, with the only difference being the smell? The only redeeming quality so far that any of the Call of Duty games can say they have is that their single-player stories are pretty decent, but nothing to rave over and not worth the $60 price tag. Call of Duty 4 was freaking great, hell one of the best shooters in the past 8 years. It was simple, fun, and everyone was playing it with little to no issues. With the fact there was no learning curve anyone could pick the game up and play. However the fuck-wits at Infinity War and TreyArch learned the little lesson going. "Hey, if ain't broke, why fix it? People loved Call of Duty 4 so much we can plaster Call of Duty sticker on a coconut and people will pay $60 for it."

Worst part about that, is they were absolutely right. Modern Warfare 3 has the same NPC, and building models from Call of Duty 4, only difference is they look prettier now. You hear that? They didn't even bother to remodel the fucking cover and trucks you mindlessly run circles around as you work toward getting your RC Car or some shit. Yet people are willing to pop open their wallets, give Infinity Ward for that $60 coconut to bash over their heads while they tell themselves the Call of Duty games keep getting better and better, while in truth, they have been running in place, if not sliding backwards.

If I had to eat one of the two shits, I would have to pick the one that smells like Black Ops 2. Simply for the better story, and zombies can be fun from time to time if you don't mind going a bit insane. Speaking of insanity, have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Have you ever learned what insanity is? Insanity is playing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again, expecting... shit to change. That... is crazy; but the first time somebody told me that...I dunno, I thought they were bullshitting me, so boom - I played Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3. The thing is, okay... He was right. And then I started seeing: everywhere I looked, everywhere I looked, all these fucking pricks, everywhere I looked, playing the exact same fucking game... over and over and over and over again thinking: "This time, Call of Duty is gonna be different; no, no, no, please... This time it's gonna be different."

I played the first two Modern Warfares, realized I was paying $60 for a subpar solo experience, and never cared again. So...Modern Warfare? I guess?

Personally I prefer the Modern Warfare series. Modern Warfare 2 was BY FAR my favorite. The story mode was intense and well written, and the Multiplayer was a lot of fun and had a lot of cool maps. I'm going to have to go with Payne and Sly though and agree that the games have pretty much been the same sense MW2 came out. While I will admit to owning Black Ops 2, it's just not as much fun as MW2. Better maps, better weapons, etc.

First the campaign. I'd take modern warfare over black ops. I actually enjoyed the storyline of modern warfare 1 and 2 & 3 continued said story while improving the game play (less grenades). On the other hand black ops 1 had an okay story but it was rather forgettable featured many bugs and confusing parts (such as during the Vietnam? war where there is no information on how to complete an objective). Black ops 2 was allot duller as all their so called "gaming changing" moments were far to predictable and didn't add anything what so ever.

On other features, spec ops was shit in mw3. I do not enjoy zombies in blops. Multiplayer just gets worse every single year.
Overall I'm glad i only payed a couple of $$ for blops 1. My first game was mw3 which i bought with tf2 items (got cod4 with it). Then purchased mw2 with tf2 items and again got blops 2 with tf2 items. GJ valve for making a hat market that i can merchant with so i never have to buy pc games on steam with my own money.

They didn't even bother to remodel the fucking cover and trucks

So? Its not like they are the only ones that do that. Look at say any number of games made by valve on the source engine (people generally like something they've made whether it be half life, portal, left 4 dead, counter strike, team fortress 2 etc) you'll find the exact same models and textures from hl2/css in portal/l4d1&2/cs:go and so forth.

I couldn't tell you the difference between any of those games. I've never bought any of them, my friend always has them and I usually just play whatever he puts in. Is there really a distinct enough difference between them to call one better than the other? You run around shoot people in the face. It's fun.

I'm very well-versed in the Call of Duty franchise because unlike most people on here, I still enjoy playing this particular series. I've played others and nothing came close to touching it with the exception of Battlefield but I digress.

The Campaign for both series have been explosion after explosion after explosion to the point where some of the scenes don't feel as jaw-dropping and exciting as they should. To achieve any shock factor in these games, both companies have had to make cut-scenes or entire levels just to compensate (i.e. Terminal level on MW2). Modern Warfare 1 was the only campaign which had missions that were not only difficult but provided the shock factors at the right time, not every mission like all the other games. However, Black Ops 2 provides challenges and lobby leaderboards to make it a bit more competitive to play, as well as the added edition of customising your entire load-out prior to a mission. Splash in the added factors of choosing multiple paths for different scenarios that will affect the ending and certain missions acting like C&C's Red Alert/Generals were you control various troops to reach the objective is also a nice touch. For Campaign, BLOPS takes precedence over MW as COD4 cannot carry the load that MW2/MW3 left behind whilst BLOPS1 wasn't as bad as MW2/MW3 campaigns were.

Multi-player has to go to BLOPS simply because they balance their weapons and maps much better than Infinity Ward could ever do. BLOPS2 has provided us with a much higher customisation than any game and it allows for creativity, extending the life-time of any players interest in the game. Probably not the best game for maps but at least their design suits all forms of combat. Zombies also wins against any Spec Ops that the MW series provided hands-down due to better gameplay mechanics.

Overall, Black Ops is the better game series than Modern Warfare but for single titles, its a toss-up between Modern Warfare 1 and Black Ops 2, slightly leaning more towards MW1.

So? Its not like they are the only ones that do that. Look at say any number of games made by valve on the source engine (people generally like something they've made whether it be half life, portal, left 4 dead, counter strike, team fortress 2 etc) you'll find the exact same models and textures from hl2/css in portal/l4d1&2/cs:go and so forth.

No one is making any excuses to lazy programming. However, unlike the past Call of Duty games since Call of Duty 4, they've done things radically different and unique that made them critically acclaimed. Aside from the Left 4 Dead sequel, the rest of Valve series of games do things that actually make a good game while making it all fresh and entertaining.

I'm not going to sit here and rattle off about how vastly superior Valve games are compared to whatever shit Infinityward or Treyarch dump out every other year, because it seems like you are quite satisfied giving your money to companies that stopped caring about customer satisfaction and producing quality games a long time ago. The fact of the matter is, InfinityWard, Treyarch, and whatever company took the Call of Duty license now.

The current business model for anyone who owns the Call of Duty namesake has been "Do more the same, and you'll make more money." Which, in the business world, is any company owner's wet dream. So can I blame COD developers for doing more the same, while achieving more and more success? I can't, but I can be part of the vocal minority that actually enjoys quality games.

Multi-player has to go to BLOPS simply because they balance their weapons and maps much better than Infinity Ward could ever do. BLOPS2 has provided us with a much higher customisation than any game and it allows for creativity, extending the life-time of any players interest in the game. Probably not the best game for maps but at least their design suits all forms of combat. Zombies also wins against any Spec Ops that the MW series provided hands-down due to better gameplay mechanics.

I wont argue with Zombies > Spec Ops because your 100% right.

That being said I think your slightly off with the assessment of the two series overall. The only truly original concept Black Ops 2 bought to the table was the Pick 10 system, everything else can be traced back to Infinity Ward and the MW Series. Treyarch like to take credit for the score streaks which is just an extension of point streaks from MW3. Gun Levels were bought in in MW3, custom kill streaks came in in MW2.

And gun balance... Treyarch are notorious for terrible gun balance up until Black Ops 2, which still isn't the best, although all guns are viable the SMG's really win out overall. If you look back at MW3 and MW2 pretty much every Gun was not just viable but really good in most situations.

Also Treyarch are terrible at Map Design, the Head Glitching made me trade Black Ops 2 in, that and the awful Lag Comp code they put in.

That being said I think your slightly off with the assessment of the two series overall. The only truly original concept Black Ops 2 bought to the table was the Pick 10 system, everything else can be traced back to Infinity Ward and the MW Series. Treyarch like to take credit for the score streaks which is just an extension of point streaks from MW3. Gun Levels were bought in in MW3, custom kill streaks came in in MW2.

The idea that MW3 brought in with the 3 sets of killstreaks as well as assigning a set of killstreaks per class was an amazing idea, something which the Black Ops series has yet to understand and grasp the concept... however the idea of implementing streaks based on score and making the higher rewards more powerful was an awesome idea as it allowed the user to fully appreciate their work. Sure, there are loops to make it seem like you're using "hacks" but the overall idea is much better than just basing everything off kills - it promotes objective play.

The Pick 10 system allows for so much customisation that it prolongs game life without getting boring was my initial point. It might be their only "new" thing but its a pretty big change overall. Modern Warfare's biggest accomplishment for class set-ups was designated killstreaks to a class.

And gun balance... Treyarch are notorious for terrible gun balance up until Black Ops 2, which still isn't the best, although all guns are viable the SMG's really win out overall. If you look back at MW3 and MW2 pretty much every Gun was not just viable but really good in most situations.

Personally, I've found the guns in both Black Ops games to be fairly balanced with the Modern Warfare series having stand-outs and terrible weapons. Take MW3 for example - how many guns had to be "buffed" and how many guns had to be "nerfed" immensely just to make these guns playable/balanced? I believe the last patch did about nearly 10 weapons. The only thing Black Ops 2 has done is tweak the guns as every gun is mathematically balanced. In game-play, every gun is a viable choice and will do well.

Also Treyarch are terrible at Map Design, the Head Glitching made me trade Black Ops 2 in, that and the awful Lag Comp code they put in.

Lag Compensation I will agree 110% here but for Map Design, I find their maps to be much more comfortable. In MW3, there was a lot of maps where every position had a flanking route and every position was exposed to a weak point. Head Glitching was more prominent in MW3 than it has been in Black Ops in my personal opinion but with the newly added "Target Finder" (which is a terrible attachment), head glitching seems like it is a technique used much more in this game series than the MW series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back