• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Billy Gunn and Dolph Ziggler

kingk12

King of Rings
I was thinking today after seeing Dolph and Billy exchange words on twitter, Billy Gunn would make an excellent manager for Dolph Ziggler. Get rid of Vickie, and pair her up with Swagger and other members that could join her "Wrestling Family" and turn Dolph heel and have Gunn manage him. Gunn and Ziggler have similar gimmicks and he can be like a veteran mentor for Ziggler. But my question is
a. Do you think Gunn would make a good manager for Ziggler.

b. Who else do you think would make good managers for current WWE stars that would help elevate some of the smaller names to the next level.

So you're suggesting that a guy who was a part of a tag team where he wasn't even the mouth piece should be a manager for a guy who can talk and is being booked as "too good for a manager" now? Riiiiiiiiiiiight, that'll work just fine. I don't think Monty Sopp has ever cut a great promo, and he was never really that over as a heel OR babyface. This seems like a pretty pointless thread/suggestion.

Meh disagreed, he was never special on the mic and the only reason the DX/NAO/VKM were so over, was because of The Road Dogg's promo cutting. Why do you find it so important to replace Vickie, she is doing fine. I think if she were to be replaced, the best candidate would be his NXT Rookie Byron Saxton. He is great on the mic, and when given the chance in WWE.. He'll get heat, some good heat.

Dude, sometimes I used to think to myself how similar Dolph and Billy are. You have two blonde haired, athletically gifted, self professed young studs who work best as heels. I say if Billy's in good condition and (hopefully) on good terms with WWE and co., give 'em a try. Hell, maybe make a short run as a heel tag team. But I'd trade them to Smackdown. Very good thread, I'm all for it.

We are talking about two completely opposite careers here. Gunn was terrible other than his time in the New Age Outlaws. His singles run was pretty forgettable. Ziggler on the other hand emerged as a successful singles star after becoming the only survivor of that awful Spirit Squad team. Ziggler doesn't need a manager at all right now, whether that be Vickie OR Gunn because he is on his way into the main event and no longer needs a manager to get him over. Gunn would only make things worse. Not a very good idea. I would be against Gunn managing anyone really.

have to agree, there is no need for Billy Gunn. if Gunn was 15 years younger and Ziggler was just starting, maybe but not now. besides, Ziggler is better on the mic than Gunn ever was so he wouldn`t really be adding anything.

I liked Billy Gunn but never saw him as a mouth piece really, I thought his ring work was great but not his promo's, HOWEVER, I read in a different post about how lame and useless wwe is making Bret Hart now a days... NOW HERE is a prime example of an older named talent who has realized and accepted that his in ring career is over but still is somewhat known by younger fans and could still be used in todays product settings. Put Bret in an manager type role of someone like a Danial Brian... DB has in ring talent but (personal opinion here) doesnt have the skills on the mic just yet.. Or maybe some one like Alex Riley who"s somewhat well rounded but could use alittle guidance.. or even give him Zac Ryder to set straight...

I hate to gang up on you, but Billy Gunn's biggest problem was always that he couldn't talk. He had a good look, developed a good gimmick, was half of a legendary tag team, but he just couldn't carry a story on the mic. He did best when he was paired with Road Dogg, who was pretty slammin' on the mic, and by the time he kind of got the hang of it, he'd wasted his best years and was put in a, "gay," tag team with Chuck, which is a shame that they had such an offensive gimmick, considering they were a talented team.

I think you can catch the theme of my critique: Billy Gunn was best when he was in a tag team; he was a pretty great tag team wrestler and I don't think he gets enough credit for that. But, should he be the mouth piece? No, not at all. That's like saying Hulk Hogan should have been a body guard. I'm not saying Hogan looked the part, but his in-ring work was always his weakest characteristic, so why would you highlight that? You wanted Hogan to talk, because that's what he did best. It's the opposite for Billy Gunn; he was a pretty great worker, but he couldn't talk at all.

They should keep a mouth piece on Dolph, too. Unless he has a hidden talent for working a mic, I haven't seen anything from him yet to make me think he could be a top star in the main event. Maybe he ditches Vickie and gets a better manager. That would probably work pretty well for him, but he still needs a manager.

Meh disagreed, he was never special on the mic and the only reason the DX/NAO/VKM were so over, was because of The Road Dogg's promo cutting. Why do you find it so important to replace Vickie, she is doing fine. I think if she were to be replaced, the best candidate would be his NXT Rookie Byron Saxton. He is great on the mic, and when given the chance in WWE.. He'll get heat, some good heat.

Vickie is doing a pretty good job, she's underrated as a heel. Screaming "EXCUSE ME!!" at the top of her lungs was pure cheap heat, but what she's doing now is pretty good. Her persona isn't old yet and it has new life with the Ziggler / Swagger feud.

Sidenote: The Ziggler / Swagger match, if there will be one, should be extremely heated and fired up. Trade 10-15 punches in the middle of the ring, do all the high spots they know then show off to Vickie after each move. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back