Biggest Bust: NBA

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Round 2 in the biggest bust series as we move on to the NBA. Here are some candidates:

Chris Washburn- This is my pick. He was the number three pick overall in the 1986 draft by the Warriors. Poor work ethic and drug problems led to his demise. In 72 career games for Golden State and Atlanta he only averaged 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. Just an awful career as he was never even able to become a serviceable back up and was out of the league after three years.

Kwame Brown- Number one overall pick in the 2001 NBA draft by the Washington Wizards he was given plenty of opportunities to succeed but never even came close to living up to his draft status. He has been a decent back up center since entering the NBA but nothing more then that. His best year came in his third season when he averaged 11 points and 7.5 boards per game while playing 30 minutes a game. Other then that he has never averaged over 8.4 points per game in any season. As a second rounder he would have been a good pick but not at number one.

Darko Millicic- He was the second pick in the 2003 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons. A lot of people will pick him because he was taken over Carmelo, D Wade, and Chris Bosh, but at the time the Pistons had very good and young players at the 1, 2, and 3 spots with Chauncey, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince so Melo and Wade weren't a need. They needed a big man and now it's obvious they should have taken Bosh but instead they got Darko. He never got much of a chance in Detroit because he was an 18 year old learning the game with a team that was in the championship hunt every year. Like Kwame he has had some decent years as a back up big man in Orlando, Memphis, and more recently Minnesota getting 20-25 minutes a game and averaging around 7-8 points and 5-6 boards. Again, would have been a solid second round pick, but he's a bust at number two overall.

Other candidates: Robert "Tractor" Traylor, Michael Olowokandi, and Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

Be prepared if you pick Sam Bowie for me to debate you on why he shouldn't be considered the BIGGEST bust.

Has to be Kwame Brown without a doubt. The guy averaged 6.7 points per game in his career. That 3rd year was his best with 11 points and 7.5 rebounds. He was also extremely immautre and couldn't handle the pressure of being a number one pick. The good he did for the Wizards was help them in a trade with LA for Butler.and the only good he did for LA was be used to get Pau Gasol. Other than that, he has done nothing as a top pick. Terrible draft choice.

Honestly it has to be Len Bias. The guy ODed on coke before he even played a game, I don't know if he even got signed but truthfully Bias is the biggest bust ever since he never ever played a game after getting picked number 2 overall in '86. I know this is really a cop out but it's true. Other than Len I would say Kwame since he never panned out after being the 1st overall pick.

I hate saying it but because of injuries alone Greg Oden has to be mentioned seeing as how portland choose him with the first pick in the draft over Kevin Durant and he's became one of the premier perimeter players in the nba

I hate saying it but because of injuries alone Greg Oden has to be mentioned seeing as how portland choose him with the first pick in the draft over Kevin Durant and he's became one of the premier perimeter players in the nba

Mentioned maybe, but by far not the biggest. Oden is still on the team and yes injuries have plagued him but when he is in there he is a solid defensive player. Maybe if he falls of the face of the Earth and Durantula wins a ring or two, then maybe we can call Oden the biggest bust, but not yet.

With the talent that there was at the big man position in the 2001 draft that was taken after Brown, it has to be Kwame. There were seven big men that could've been taken before him that have at the very least been better than him, most notably Pau Gasol. Darko had a better draft class surrounding him overall, but there were only 3 other big men in that draft that have turned into anything.

I'm going to go with Kwame as well. He was chosen over Joe Johnson, Pau Gasol, Gilbert Arenas(though he isn't exactly having a great time right now) among other. He's gotten in legal trouble twice, skipped practices for clubbing and has been with 4 different teams. He gets injured often, not that bad though, and the fans show how much they hated him. Especially Laker and Wizards Fans. He's missed layups, and open shots. His career averages are 6.7 points and 5.4 rebounds. He had so much hype, and shit on everyone's hopes. His best season was his third year, and then he flushed everyone's expectations down the drain. He does help out his teams though! He's given some of his teams Pau Gasol and Caron Butler!

Chris Washburn He gets my vote! He had great size and speed. Was drafted 3rd overall in the 1986 draft by the Golden State Warriors. He made it only through 2 seasons 1.5 with the Warriors and half with the Hawks playing in just 72 total games and averaging only 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game. Then in 1989 he gets the life time ban for failing three drug tests in three years. Throughout his college and very short lived NBA career he was criticized for his work ethic, have to say mainly because he was more interested in blowing coke then playing basketball.

Now I have to agree and saying Sam Bowie shouldn't be picked as the biggest bust at all really, since he averaged 10.9 points a game and 7.5 rebounds, but you definitely can say that the Portland Trail Blazers are the biggest bust for drafting, since the could've had Michael Jordan but took Bowie instead. Probably should throw in the Detriot Pistons in the mix too from their 2003 pick in drafting Darko Milicic ahead of Melo,Bosh,and Wade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back