Better Call Saul

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Since we have Breaking Bad fans on here, I figured this would be something you guys would find interesting.

There is an upcoming show called Better Call Saul. It's a Breaking Bad spinoff that will star Saul Goodman as the main character in a prequel that takes place before Walter hired Saul in Breaking Bad. Vince Gilligan who is one of the creators of the original series had stated his intentions to direct the pilot for this show and it's estimated to air in October of 2014. That's a long time away, but having just recently discovered the Breaking Bad show myself, I'm interested in this prequel show. I'd give it a chance and think it could be cool. Saul was one of the characters I liked the most in Breaking Bad.

Would you watch this show? Why or why not?

Any other thoughts on this topic are welcome as long as you remain on topic and within the rules.

:) Discuss!

With Breaking Bad being my favorite show of all-time, I'll definitely be watching this. I'll won't have high expectations so I'm not disappointed, but with Vince Gilligan being the creator and it airing on AMC, I have to believe it will at the very least be watchable since they both have pretty great track records. Something tells me it won't do very well ratings wise though, because a lot of people will not be smart enough to understand that Walter White, Jesse Pinkman, or any of the other BB characters won't be involved in this show since it's a prequel. So once they figure it out that it's based on a a time before he even met them. I would imagine the only other BB characters we might see are Saul's security guard Huell and the receptionist.

A massive Breaking Bad fan and I think this prequel has a lot of room to explore in the BB universe and particularly by delving into a different side of the BB writers room. The comic relief in the show was always wonderful and Saul was able to provide a lot of it. Plus, Huell!

I'll be watching because I love Breaking Bad and Saul. He was a funny character and this series has the potential to be very entertaining. Obviously they can't use Jesse or Walt but there are others. Maybe guys who had run ins with them whilst they were distributing. For example, the couple with the ATM machine.

I suppose that they could use Hank in a couple of shows which would be fantastic. I have faith that this won't be awful and, since Breaking Bad is so great, that this can be another very enjoyable TV show.

It would be interesting to see what led Saul to become what Jesse referred to as a "criminal" lawyer. The whole backstory intrigues me, plus I see the spinoff as being a lot more comical. Bob Odenkirk was superb as Saul, and I wonder what other assorted characters will drop by.

I've been a Breaking Bad fanatic since the very first season, as well as a huge fan of both Bob Odenkirk & the Saul Goodman character, so I defintely intend on watching the Prequel series. The original episode where Saul Goodman is introduced (which the series it titled after) is also one of my all-time favorite episodes of Breaking Bad & from what I here Peter Gould who worked on BB & wrote the episode 'Better Call Saul' will basically be heading the entire project alongside the creator of BB, Vince Gilligan who is attached to the project as a Co-Creator/Executive Producer if I'm not mistaken. & like you mentioned I hear he plans to direct the pilot & they're aiming for a Fall 2014 release on AMC (the same time of year that Breaking Bad had it's season premieres). Also I heard that Gould & Gilligan have planned for it to be the same hour long format as BB, they just paln on the series being less dark & more comedic than BB. Finally I've heard that both Bryan Cranston & Aaron Paul have expressed interest in making some sort of cameo appearances in the series & that Gilligan wants that as well.

Beyond that I'm just excited to see that the Breaking Bad universe will live on in some form or fashion & (***MAJOR SPOLIER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BREAKING BAD***) with Saul leaving for Nebraska in the penultimate episode to never be seen again I think there is PLENTY of places & subjects for the show to explore. From us getting to see Saul as a weasly little kid gaining a love for lies & money, to the Saul Goodman we all know & love making his connections with Gus, Lydia, Mike, etc. & hiring Huell, Kuby & Francine, all the way to Saul managing that Cinnabon in Omaha. I just can't wait to see what Gilligan & Gould come up with next!

I'm not sure what to think about this, I'm a huge fan of the show and I have faith in something that Vince Gilligan would put his stamp on but I don't know how this is going to go. I'm just curious what the vibe of this show is going to be, with BB you had a serious show with some goofy stuff thrown in and Saul was often a source of that humor. With it being tied to Breaking Bad will it still have that darker feel or is it going to be totally different and comedy driven? With the kind of character Saul is I feel like this could be a bit like the show Rake with Greg Kinnear but we will have to wait and see.

But in response to the original question yes I will be watching regardless of which way they decide to take this show. With as much as I love Breaking Bad and Bob Odenkirk's portrayal of Saul I can't pass it up.

With Breaking Bad being my favorite show of all-time, I'll definitely be watching this. I'll won't have high expectations so I'm not disappointed, but with Vince Gilligan being the creator and it airing on AMC, I have to believe it will at the very least be watchable since they both have pretty great track records. Something tells me it won't do very well ratings wise though, because a lot of people will not be smart enough to understand that Walter White, Jesse Pinkman, or any of the other BB characters won't be involved in this show since it's a prequel. So once they figure it out that it's based on a a time before he even met them. I would imagine the only other BB characters we might see are Saul's security guard Huell and the receptionist.

i think the show could be tense at times, mike is confirmed to be in the show too, he was one of my favorite characters

edit i looked it up and it appears jesse might show up on the show after all, hes in "serious talks" about appearing, we could even see walt cameo

http://www.eonline.com/news/516164/aaron-paul-and-bryan-cranston-may-appear-in-multiple-episodes-of-breaking-bad-spinoff-better-call-saul

Anyone who has seen Breaking Bad should be interested to see Better Call Saul. Saul Goodman was perhaps one of the funniest characters on Breaking Bad and a prequel could only help make him an even better character. Vince Gilligan is a great writer and show runner, so I'll definitely be checking the new show out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back