• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best WM Main Event Match!!

killswitch3:16

Dark Match Winner
Just straight to the point. As said from the title, what was THE best WM Main Event Match? In my perspective, I loved the Triple Threat Match for the WHC at Wrestlemania between HHH, HBK, and Benoit. Man was that match awesome!!!! What's your opinions dude? Just curious to know. I'm sorry if this thread ever came up before

I think this years main event is the greatest of all time. Amazing fued, amazing match. The triple threar was awesome but Hbk vs Taker is just so much more epic and meaningful.

Gotta Say Angle vs Guerrero. On paper doesn't sound like a match but one is an a olympic gold medalist and the other is a high flyer with power based moves and a knowledge of mat wrestling skills.

HBK vs Taker at WM26. I never did think in my wildest dreams that they could top their match at 25 but they far surpassed my expectations. The slap in the face was pure HBK and the following Tombstone was pure Taker!

I like everyones answers but what about Angle Vs HBK. Wrestlemania 21 which I also think was one of the more solid Manias. The match told a story and also led to a second feud between the two.

i rekon triple h and batista from WM21 was an awesome match with an awesome build up, my favourite build up to ANY match, in my opinion it was the passing of the torch from triple h to batista and a great way to do it, awesome match!!

wow quite a few matches to choose from......hmmmm.savage/flair was a great one that i had the privelage of seeing live so part of me leans that way. wow this is actually harder then it sounds. i do like the angle vs lesner, cause that was the closest we will get to seeing pure wrestling in the last 10 years i think. but i will ultimately say hogan vs warrior wm 6. it was the first time a face vs face which was damn near unheard of at that time. the first time the ic was pitted again the world champ and it was title for title too boot. warrior did something i dont think had ever been done, not only beat hulk hogan, but cleanly pinning him in the middle of the ring. thats why i believe this was one of if not the greatest wm main event

MoizH28, umm the build up for the match was good, but the match itself sucked, it was one of the only one that meltzer didn't pass that night.

My favourite wrestlemania main event would have to be Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit, it was an amazing match, it was unpredictable, emotional and fast paced, sorry folks but Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels was one of the greatest ever but shawn michaels gave himself away by saying he was going to start a show called "Life after wrestling" making the prediction more obvious.

wow quite a few matches to choose from......hmmmm.savage/flair was a great one that i had the privelage of seeing live so part of me leans that way.

I like everyones answers but what about Angle Vs HBK. Wrestlemania 21 which I also think was one of the more solid Manias. The match told a story and also led to a second feud between the two.

Gotta Say Angle vs Guerrero. On paper doesn't sound like a match but one is an a olympic gold medalist and the other is a high flyer with power based moves and a knowledge of mat wrestling skills.

As good as those matches were, they didn't close the show therefore i wouldn't count them as main events. Taker/HBK at WM 26 was a great main event but i feel that the match the previous year at WM 25 was better which in a way tarnishes this match. As difficult as it was, i felt they had to top the previous year's attempt so while it was a great match, it doesn't get my vote for best Mania main event.

My vote would go to Austin/Rock at WM X7, which i believe had everything. The no-DQ stipulation really let these two brawl and showed the intensity of the feud. It was no mat classic as the two brawled through the crowd and busted each other open but it was entertaining and Austin's turn at the end was a real 'OMG' moment for any fan of the Attitude era. I think this match perfectly topped off on of the best Wrestlemanias of all time and really showcased the extraordinary talents of both men.

Brock Lesnar VS Kurt Angle Wrestlemania 19: two collegiate champions who had been trying to 1 up each other through out the either match great technical match and even the botch was phenomenal, I mean if your going to mess up might as well do it with a bang.IMO

I think Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant was the biggest build up and put Wrestling on the MAP. I can still remember all my friends gathered around to watch that over 20 years ago...Andre was the 550 pound immovable object, and Hulkamania was ON FIRE back then. I would say HBK vs Taker part 2 this year was a close second. The streak or HBK retiring? I was there in person and there were many tears in that audience...including my 8 year old son who has basically stopped watching wrestling since HBK retired....he still likes Jericho but its not the same

honestly anyone who says anything other than austin vs rock wrestlemania 17 has not seen the match or hates both men.

really guys these two were the biggest stars of their generation and perhaps of all time.both were more or less at the zenith of their polpularity.the build up was amazing and that "my way" song by limp bizkit got stuck in my head for a month or so

now we all know that wm 17 had great matches from top to bottom but none of them mattered even a little by the time you came to the main event.after it was over the only thing people were talking about was austin/rock.

hbk/undertaker 2 and hogan/andre do come very close but hogan/andre wasnt exactly a great match while i dont think there was much doubt about the result of hbk/undertaker.the build up too while being great wasnt as personal as austin/rock

Austin vs. Rock - WM 17 - Great build up, great history behind the match, shocking ending, it was a back & forth all out war where both guys were bringing back old spots & moves like the Austin vs. Bret - WM 13 ending & Million Dollar Dream, both stealing each others finishers. Also like the guy above men mentioned, clips of the match playing to My Way by Limp Bizkit is one that sticks in my head also.

AUSTIN VS THE ROCK wrestlemania 17 was hella exciting watching this on ppv i was shocked by the ending and the hole match in total didnt have a boring moment at all in it and it was it got changed to no holds bar last second WICKED match 10 out of 10

I'm going to go with HBK/Undertaker from WM 26...no other wrestling company will ever have anything that epic and I really believe it will be the last big match in wrestling period.

This 1 has ALWAYS been hard 4 me 2 pick, So I fink im gonna have a #1 & #1a.

Im going 2 put Taker vs Michaels from mania 25 as #1 (Because that match was PURE old skool wrestling with a slow start then @ the 1/2 way point they kicked it up a gear. Plus with Taker doing that dive and landing on his head, Then wrestling on afterwards like it NEVER happend 2 me is just breath taking.)

So #1a is going 2 b Rock vs Austin from mania 17 (Although up untill Taker vs Michaels @ wm25 was my #1 undisputed best wm main event match) Which I find funny because when I found out it was gonna b Rock vs Austin again after 2 years I was`nt that much in2 the feud. But when Rock layed out Austin with his own stunner @ the end of a match, Then the pull apart they had wen the WRESTLERS had 2 split them up which is normally the REFEREE`s job. That just made it SOOO much bigger 4 me n I could`t WAIT 2 see the match.

My reasoning 4 putting Taker n Michaels as #1 is because I will always put a pure wrestling match over a stunt fest or a brawl, Which what Rock vs Austin was. But MY GOD!!! What a brawl it was, Plus with the build up, "My way", And the aftermath it was a EPIC feud.

And honorable mentions go 2 Michaels vs Angle from mania 21 (Not sure if that match was 1 of the main events of that years mania, But if it was then that is my #2

HBK vs Taker at WM 25. I know that the second one had more stipulations in it and was emotional, but the quality of the first one was better. Far more better. And the fact that HBK was doing anything and everything for beating Taker was awesome. Too good.

Steve Austin vs. The Rock (WrestleMania X-Seven - No Disqualification Match) - had it all. Great feud, great story behind the match, great action, great atmosphere, shocking twist and the match also represented the culmination of the greatest era in WWF/E history, The Attitude Era.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker (WrestleMania XXVI) is my 2nd favorite main event.

Wrestlemania 25 and 26, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. Both Wrestlemanias were just awesome. Some of the greatest match-ups between two major legends in the business and neither one showed any stopping during their match. Undertaker's streak vs. Michael's career had a great build up to the match and the way Shawn Michael's career ended was amazing. Both matches had an amazing 30-45 minutes of non stop action. It was money well spent and worth the 60 bucks. I'll also say of course WM17's match-up between the Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. The two biggest names in the WWE at the time headling the main event. At the start of the match The Rock went in as the Heel/Tweener and Auston went in as the obvious Face. At the ending, the roles were flip flopped. The match was so over with the crowd and one of the most amazing matches in the history of not only WWE but wrestling. One of the most memorable matches I've ever seen.

WRESTLEMANIA 12: Iron Man Match: Bret vs Shawn

The two best wrestlers of all time meeting in the prime of their careers in a pure wrestling match. How many times has that happened? Especially at a Wrestlemania in the main event. Doesn't get any better than that.

I loved the buildup with vignettes showing Bret training in the harsh cold climate of Calgary in the dungeon with his dad, while Shawn trained in the heat of Texas with Jose Lethario.

The ending to the match also felt authentic. In real life Bret would have a right to be upset as he had shawn trapped in the sharpshooter and only let go because the time ran out. If they had told him ahead of time that there would be an overtime in case time ran out, he simply could have kept Shawn in the sharpshooter. He only let go because he thought he match was over. Plus there was the fact that every fan knew these guys really didn't like each other in real life.

I have to go with The Undertake vs Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 26.

To me, there is simply no WrestleMania main event that even comes close to touching this one. No matter how many times Hogan slams Andre or The Rock gets pounded with a chair by Vince McMahon and Stone Cold Steve Austin, thei match with always shine through as the great glowing beacon of what can be accomplished by great story telling in the ring and two wonderful competitors that you could tel the match mean everything to.

When you add that to the fact that it was Shawn Michaels' last match as a WWE representative, I think it adds much more emotion and sentiment to the match. It was never a match that needed a whole lot more meaning but the retirement due to the result just gives it that much more than anything else WrestleMania main events have to offer.

The match was absolutely incredible and it one of the very few matches that I could not take my eyes off of. From start to finish, the match was orchestrated to perfection and seeing the looks on people's faces was absolutely priceless. Everyone loves Taker and his streak but you got the feeling that the fans were divided in who they wanted to win and it wasn't spoiled by a huge main event that took the wind out of it's sails (Much like Jericho's loss to Triple H after The Rock met Hogan).

A perfect match.

Surely you would have to score a match involveing bret high up on the list, he does have a few great ones there. Personally nothing tops the WM 2000 main event for me. What made this match amazing was not completely the match itself, it was what happened aside from the wrestling. What went on the ring was great, but I have never seen build-up promo to one match last about five minutes or more, and that was because so much happened before this match, it being made a triple threat by vince but linda having the final say bringing back foley who we all mourned deeply after he left. Not to mention to have the rock narrowly get back into the match after losing his place to big show weeks earlier after the whole royal rumble foot touching the floor fiasco, that felt pretty good too. It was so feel good to have mick interjected back into the match and HHH winning just made him the future hall of famer, it seriously was THAT moment that made his entire career, everybody knowing he was the game and the king of kings.

Now filter in one of the most exciting matches in wrestlemania history for thought, on the same night as the TLC match no less, and the fact is involved the rock HHH and mick foley along with a very high big show at that time and it lasting 36 minutes in total, an astounding achievement. This is the event that as a kid would always make me say wow, those guys were incredible, this was the height of professional wrestling in my eyes and that's why it gets my vote. Plus how does it get better than a fatal four way main event....... HIAC???, I ask you...

As there are a few different eras of wrestling that's happened at Wrestlemania I've gone for one from each period:

Hogan Vs Macho Man WM5 - Savage showed what a world class worker he was. Still, to this day, the best Mania match Hogan's ever had.

Flair Vs Macho Man WM8 - Savage could still work wonders, and Flair was still able to pull it out of the bag to the highest level. Add in the personal drama of the story and the match itself was great too

Austin Vs Rock WM17 - I've skipped ahead and included this for the Attitude era as it happened right at the tail end of the last big boom. Great match, great heat, and an amazing ending.

Edge Vs Undertaker WM24 - End of the non-PG era and, IMO, the greatest non gimmick match of Edge's career. Deserved it's spot at the end of the card

HBK Vs Undertaker WM26 - PG era's best match ever. Preferred it to the first one as seemed more at stake.

The Rock vs Hulk Hogan, WrestleMania 18.

I would have said HBK/Taker WM 26 but that's been said too much.

Anyway, Rock vs Hogan in my opinion is one of the greatest if not the greatest WM matches of all times. Two of wrestlings biggest icons on the biggest stage of them all, dare I say bigger worldwide and more mainstream than Shawn Michaels?

I think the name value in itself sells the match and a great result as well with Rock winning. I see Hogan done the right thing in putting Rock over, I guess Hogan knew had had a while left in him though.

I haven't watched the match in a while but from what I remember Rock put on a great performance, the crowd went apeshit for the match and were very into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back