Best types of wrestlers from every corner of the globe?

DarksideEric

Call me "Hadouken." I'm ↓→ fierce.
I don't think I've seen many discussions on this, so I thought I'd throw this out there. A small note, I personally don't know a lot about wrestling much outside of the States (hence I can learn through this thread hopefully), so I won't put my input in for what I'm asking.

Who do you guys think are the best types of wrestler from each major areas of the globe and why?

Brawler
Technician
High Flyer
Powerhouse

North America
Europe
Japan
Other

Hmm well before I answer are we talking about present day active wrestlers or this of alltime?

And my second question is what's the difference between a powerhouse and a brawler? The likes of Hogan, Cena etc I would consider brawlers AND powerhouses, is there any wrestler who is solely one and not the other? I guess someone like the Miz is just a brawler since he sucks at everything else, but is anyone out there JUST a powerhouse?

Hmm well before I answer are we talking about present day active wrestlers or this of alltime?

And my second question is what's the difference between a powerhouse and a brawler? The likes of Hogan, Cena etc I would consider brawlers AND powerhouses, is there any wrestler who is solely one and not the other? I guess someone like the Miz is just a brawler since he sucks at everything else, but is anyone out there JUST a powerhouse?

You can do active and all time.

Austin was pretty much a pure brawler I would think. When I think "powerhouse" I think of people who are really known for their strength/size. I'd put Mark Henry, for example, as more of a powerhouse than a brawler.

I'll attempt to answer your question, but it's a little confusing so it might not be what you want. Really there is no "best type." It's all about the style and the norm of what audiences want to see in the product. Pro wrestling matches have always been about delivering realistic looking matches that people can connect to in some form or another. Brawlers, hookers, strikers, and grapplers really accomplish this. If you look at matches from the 40's through the 70's you'll find a myriad of all these types of wrestlers in every part of the world. Two technicians could have the same type of deliberate, paced match as two brawlers. And they could mesh together. We see these kinds of fights in Hollywood movies and television and games all the time. Pro wrestling just emulates this and brings it down to Earth a bit more.

High fliers to me are the only class of performers that are like odd men out. That style didn't really come into prominence until the late 80's and early 90's. Even then it's been met with resistance in America because allot of high flying maneuvers don't look that realistic, or don't look like they would be effective in a real fight.

case in point...

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=248379&highlight=

Even in lucha libre the research I've done all the well known stars that were really prominent for years and years like Santo, Demon, and Guerrero weren't high flyers. They were technicians, brawlers, and grapplers. More than likely the high flying style became prominent in Mexico because of a cultural change that spread. Inoki in Japan would introduce the idea of emphasizing a shoot style, which All Japan in the 80's and 90's adopted the "bigger is better" idea. Where a wrestler performs all these high risk looking finishers that look like they could kill someone. For Americans that were watching WWE back in the 90's that kind of style wouldn't have made sense from a realistic standpoint, and I think it really was mirroring the way the Japanese now saw their popular culture with all these over the top manga characters. So we had New Japan with the shoot style, and All Japan with the "over the top" style.

High flyers in America haven't really seen prominence for the reason of the style not being realistic enough. I don't really know many real big stars besides Mysterio or Jeff Hardy or Van Dam that were primarily high fliers. Since the Attitude Era we've seen allot of hybrid wrestlers that mix in some high flying maneuvers, but were still primarily something else...

Undertaker = brawler
Kurt Angle = technician
Punk = striker/grappler
Eddie = grappler

Most high flyers never got beyond mid card. You see that style allot on the Indy's and we see those that primarily use it and have no talent otherwise being referred to as "spot monkey's" because they can't work a realistic looking style. I can't think of any other style of wrestler with a derogatory term like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back