• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Pre-match Promo?

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Over the years, before a main event or a high-profile match at a PPV, the WWE put together a promo that's played to build-up the following match even more to add to the excitment and to explain whats happened up to now. There have been some great promos and there have been some shit promos, but which one, in your mind, is the best pre-match promo of all time and why?

Personally, I believe it's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29obGgAhO0

Shawn Michaels v.s Triple H, Hell in a Cell match, Bad Blood 2004.

The reason why I believe this is the best promo of all time is because it fully explains both, how personal Trips and Shawn's rivalyy was and how brutal the following match would be. The things I love about it is when the song 'Back Up' by 12 Stones kicks in, that's one kick-ass song. Plus from that point the confrontations on show are all hugely intense.

The few that immediately spring to mind for me are:

Shawn Michaels vs Triple H: Unsanctioned Fight [Summerslam 2002]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgIxksw_uc

At the time, I totally marked out over HBK's return! Fair enough, HHH's heel turn on HBK was premature, but the idea of Michaels coming out of retirement, and the build up to this match, combined with Angle vs Mysterio and The Rock defending the Undisputed WWE Title against 1st time challenger Brock Lesnar, made this an unforgettable card. If WWE put this much forethought, and effort into it's product, WWE wouldn't be in the predicament that it is now...
This pre-match promo video is pretty sweet too.

Stone Cold vs The Rock: WWF Championship Match [Wrestlemania X-7]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTKxoQfp7E

This package was expertly made by the WWF's production team lead by Kevin Dunn. It built up this confrontation so well. They even make the 2 week 'Debra as The Rock's manager' angle seem adequate. The only real letdown, was the anti-climatic, civil sit down interview between the two men just 1 week from the event itself. Nonetheless, It doesn't take away from a good buildup.

Goldberg vs Diamond Dallas Page: WCW Title Match [Halloween Havoc 1998]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2oka5SnPZs

Yeah, I'll admit it...I was a pretty big Goldberg mark at the time. In the world of Pro Wrestling, Goldberg almost seemed like a legit World Champ! Even though he never learned how to work properly, and was still pretty green at the time of his Title run, Goldberg was f*cken charasmatic and had a very good run with the belt. DDP was over huge with the WCW fans too. WCW built Page up to be a credible challenger for the gold and the result, Goldberg's 2nd best match he ever had...

Others from the WWF in '96 and '97 were produced well...Back before Russo lost his mind.

I chose these two because they were on the money! Stone Cold vs Vince was a hell of a feud and sold a lot tickets and ppv's. The extra added element of the WWF title plus, Kane & Undertaker made it that much more explosive!

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Kane vs Undertaker Breakdown 1998 Promo:
[youtube]tkc_FCHYbAw&feature=related[/youtube]

Undertaker vs Kane Judgment Day 1998 Promo:
[youtube]y1adwE8mAoo&feature=related[/youtube]

If I had to pick one pre-match promo, I would have to say the Ultimate Warrior before he faced Hulk Hogan at WM6. It was not his usual shouting and screaming promo, it was dark and humble. It was so creepy and cool that suddenly I was not sure if Hogan was going to win. Everyone expected Hogan to win. I watched the PPV live, and at that point as a child it put instant doubt into my head as to whether Hogan could control this freak. And Warrior won in a good match. Excellent. Wish I had the link, but I know its on youtube somewhere.

The Zach Gowen vs. Mr. McMahon promo. I was on Hulu, randomly trying to find SD, and I stumbled up this video package. It gave me chills. Mr. McMahon was like an uber-heel and you felt so sorry for Gowen.
It was pretty epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back