• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best On-Screen Chemistry

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Ever since there's been movies, there's been groups of actors that just "work" together. There's something about them that makes you believe what they're acting, and makes you see it as more than a movie. Whether it's an actor and actress falling in love on-screen, or two comedians whose material works well, we've all seen it.

The first one I'm going to list is Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet from Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Carrey was at his best here, in my opinion, and Winslet has always been one of my favorites. They both make their characters bigger than the story, and the chemistry is undoubtedly there. Everyone I know that has liked this movie has said the same thing. You forget you're watching a movie, and sink yourself into the love story as it unfolds.

The movie that inspired this thread, is Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist. I finally got a chance to see it today, and was not let down. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings work very well together, and had terrific on-screen chemistry. The movie would've been a solid "B" without them, but they really did a great job, and made the movie better than it was. As soon as they had the first kiss at the bar, you could see the chemistry between them, and you saw it constantly building until the very end of the movie.

The first couple that popped into my mind was Tom Cruise and Penélope Cruz in the fantastic film, Vanilla Sky. Of course, these two were in love at the time in real life, so maybe that had something to do with it, but still.. a lot of times, "real" love doesn't come off well on the big screen (just watch Gigli for that), so you can't take anything away from the performances these two both put on in this film. I thought what made their relationship so special in the movie was how it came off as completely believable that Cruise would give up being this ladies man with everything, just for a shot at this unbelievably gorgeous lady, who isn't even giving him any physical advances; you know, playing hard to get. And when they kiss for the first time and their reactions as Cruise is leaving the apartment.... wow, what a wonderful moment. I loved it. And throughout the whole mindfuck of the movie, the one thing that last in the chemistry between Cruise and Penelope’s characters, and that you just want them to be happy together.

I’m sure I could come up with plenty of more on-screen couples that were truly great, but that performance beats them all for me.

Who could forget Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslett in Titanic. Their chemistry is what led people tp believe that they were actually in love. It is what made them do another movie together years later. They had it all and they carried that movie to the greatness that it was. (Aside from the ship sinking). But they played off each other so well and it sent both their careers skyrocketing.

An honrable mention for me would be Ryan Reynolds and Isla Fisher from Definately Maybe. I know many people think of Reynolds as a funny jokey guy but this movie tested out his dramatic acting and he did well and the beautiful Austrailian actress Isla Fisher did a great job being American for this role and she played a great role as the friend/soon to be girl he ends up with at the end girl. Their chemistry as friends was amazing and the way they played off each other was awesome.

mcconaughey_hudson2_wideweb__470x311,0.jpg

Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey: They've worked together in 'Fool's Gold' and 'How to Lose a Girl in 10 Days'. Both movies weren't a hugely great deal, but all in all they're my movie guilty pleasure because their on-screen chemistry is amazing. Each time I see one of their films I always question why they aren't a couple.

I'd have to also follow in suite to RBH, in saying..

Ryan Reynolds & Isla Fisher: Definately, Maybe was a great film to me. One of my personal favorites. And it's all because of the chemistry and way Isla Fisher and Ryan Reynolds pull off being such an amazing on-screen friendship turned couple.

This movie, and their respective parts are so life-like and realistic that it just makes you fall completely into the storyline of the situation.

MaybeUNI0802_468x657.jpg

Reactions: RBH
I would have to say Harrison Ford and Peter Mayhew in Star Wars Episodes IV-VI. Han and Chewie were awesome, and worked very well together when it came killing stormtroopers on the Death Star, saving Luke's ass during the Battle of Yavin, getting out of garbage disposals, and rescuing Lando Calrissian. If only I knew how to speak Wookiee so I could understand what he saying...

On a serious note though, I can say Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. They both carried the entire movie (even though Lecter was only in the movie for like 40 total minutes or something like that) and they were both merited for their work with Academy Awards. Can't really beat that if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back