• Roy Halladay

• Felix Hernandez

• Clayton Kershaw

• Justin Verlander

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
These type of threads were done a few years ago by Blue Cardinal, and now that a few years have passed, times have changed and we may (or may not) have a new perspective on who we think is best. This series will be used to help identify who WZ think is the best current baseball player. While some positions are deeper than others, if you aren't the best at your own position you can't be the best in the game. With that being said, here's the criteria I'd like you all to use:

Who you think will play the best for THIS season only? Not in 5 years, not who's been the best in the past 5 years. Salaries aren't accounted for either. If you choose Jordan Zimmerman over Clayton Kershaw, it better be because you think Zimmerman will have a better season, NOT because he will give you more bang for your buck.

This ISN'T a lifetime achievement award. Think of it like this: if you are a GM, and you have any 1 pitcher you can take for THIS YEAR ONLY, who would it be?

Also, for pitcher, try to use guys that will play primarily at pitcher (so no DH-first or multi-position guys (unless their primary position is pitcher))

---
This is the final thread of the position rankings, and it features the position with the most options - pitcher. With so many available options, I'm going to try to cut it down to the top 5 I'd consider in the game. I'll include #'s 4-5 in the poll, but just list my top 3.

3. Zack Greinke - 3 of his past 4 years have been very good, and would likely have been better had he had a better defense surrounding him. He's had 26 WAR in his past 4+ years, can K at a pretty good rate, and should be landing a pretty nice paycheck this offseason. Always has been a bit undervalued due to the fact that he has played in two smaller markets (KC and Milwaukee).
2. Clayton Kershaw - The best lefthander in the game and he's the ripe age of 24. He already has a Cy Young in his pocket to go along with over 15 WAR in his 3 full seasons, and he will likely improve and benefit from pitching in a pitcher friendly ballpark. He and Kemp form 2 very nice pieces to begin in LA.
1. Justin Verlander - What, you're surprised? ;) Seriously, though, I get to watch this guy pitch every 5th day, and it's just a joy to watch the guy work. Every year he's been either good or great aside from his sophomore season, which was 5 years ago. You know about the Cy Young and MVP, so I want to point out one amazing stat. JV has gone at LEAST 6 innings in each of his last 51 starts (I believe that's what the number is up to now). Think about that. Even when he doesn't have his best stuff, he gets you 18 outs. Also, he's one of the few pitchers that can INCREASE his fastball speed as the game goes on. Even after 100+ pitches, he can dial it up to 98, 99, 100 mph. Look at his CG about a month ago against KC if you don't believe me. The dude is straight up boss and you can't convince me otherwise that he's currently the best pitcher playing, with apologies to Kershaw, Greinke, Halladay, etc.

I feel this could be an interesting discussion (if there was one...) so chime in with your thoughts. Please :eek:

Previous Entries
1st base: Albert Pujols
2nd base: Robinson Cano
3rd base: Miguel Cabrera and Evan Longoria
Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzki
Catcher: Brian McCann
Outfield: Josh Hamilton and Matt Kemp

For sure the best pitcher right now is Verlander. Guy is a beast year in and year out. His arm is out of this world, and by the end of his career he could be up there with Nolan Ryan, if the comparisons haven't already been made. He's probably got a few more Cy Young awards coming his way if his arm stays healthy.

2) I'd go with Kershaw. His season last year was awesome, and while his wins aren't up there, he is still have a very nice current season. Hell the Dodgers have a chance to win the division this year and he is a top reason for it. Along with Matt Kemp but that's another story.

3) I'm gonna take King Felix for this one. If he didn't play on a shitty team he would have more wins without a shadow of a doubt. His ERA is 3.50 or below the past 4 seasons, and is this season too. His strikeouts are usually high, been higher than 200 the past three seasons, 200+ innings. Seattle is holding him back, but the guy is a crazy talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back