Who currently is the best 2nd baseman?

• Robinson Cano

• Ian Kinsler

• Dustin Pedroia

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
These type of threads were done a few years ago by Blue Cardinal, and now that a few years have passed, times have changed and we may (or may not) have a new perspective on who we think is best. This series will be used to help identify who WZ think is the best current baseball player. While some positions are deeper than others, if you aren't the best at your own position you can't be the best in the game. With that being said, here's the criteria I'd like you all to use:

Who you think will play the best for THIS season only? Not in 5 years, not who's been the best in the past 5 years. Salaries aren't accounted for either. If you choose Jason Kipnis over Ian Kinsler, it better be because you think Kipnis will have a better season, NOT because he will give you more bang for your buck.

This ISN'T a lifetime achievement award. Think of it like this: if you are a GM, and you have any 1 second baseman you can take for THIS YEAR ONLY, who would it be?

Also, for 2nd basemen, try to use guys that will play primarily at second (so no DH-first or multi-position guys (unless their primary position is second))
---
For second basemen, I think it comes down to two guys, with a few others being slightly a notch below.

With that, here's my top 3.

3. Ian Kinsler - He's a capable 30/30 guy that slightly takes advantage of the favorable dimensions at Texas, but he's legit. He doesn't hit near .300 like the next two, but he's right there in that top echelon.
2. Robinson Cano - No Yankee fans, I'm not being 'biased' or anti-New York. Pedroia, by all accounts, is the more complete player. The key to baseball is getting on base. Cano, while batting in the middle of the Yankee lineups for most of his career, has gotten on base at a clip above .367 only once in the 7 completed seasons of his career. Also, his defense is quite shoddy, with his UZR/150 being in the negatives in all of his years but 1 - 2007.
1. Dustin Pedroia - On the otherhand, this guy gives you a little bit of everything. He's got 20/20 potential, plays solid to above average defense, and, most importantly, gets on base. Remember what I said about Cano only having 1 season above .367 OBP? Well, Pedroia has had at least that percentage every full season of his career, with it normally being in the .370-.380 range. Also, I just like the way this guy plays. I know that's not a valid reason to vote for a guy, but someone who can do a little bit of everything well excites me more than a guy that can hit at a decent average and for power but plays below average defense, strikes out at a higher rate, and doesn't walk as much. It'll be interesting to see if we hear some arguments out of Yankee fans, even though they won't change my mind.

Previous Entries
1st base: Albert Pujols

I voted for Cano. If I knew Kinsler would be healthy all year he would've gotten my vote but it seems like he always misses games(even though he was pretty healthy last year) so I'm going to assume he'll miss some time this year. I like Pedroia alot but I just think Cano will hit 10 or so more Hrs which will offset the likely OBP edge that Pedroia will have. Pedroia is the superior defender but I think Cano is solid as well, certainly better than what his UZR gives him credit for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back