Best NWA/WCW names never to compete for WWF/E other than Sting

Evenflow DDT

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have to say my top five are:

Kevin Sullivan - Twisted and demented character. Would love to see him interact with Jake the Snake or The Undertaker. Would have made a great villain for the likes of Randy Savage or Bret Hart when they were champion. Not the greatest technician but one hell of a story teller.

Bobby Eaton - would love to have seen him enter WWE between 1990 & 1993, especially with Jim Cornette as his manager considering he wasn't very good on the mic. Would have made a great IC champion.

Vampiro - I always liked him during the dying days of WCW as well as XPW & AAA. During the Invasion I always wanted him to be revealed as Sara's stalker.

Magnum T.A.- Back in the 80's this guy seemed to have it all. A tremendous look, great ability, and the fans were behind 100 percent. Unfortunately a car accident cut his career short 1986, he never got to be world champion and he never got to take a trip up north.

Baby Doll - She competed in Texas and the old NWA. She was valet for Dusty Rhodes, Tully Blanchard, and Ric Flair. Her size alone would have made her an instant attraction. She was married to Sam Houston and is the sister of Jake Roberts. I would have put her with the Million Dollar Man and Andre in 1988. I could just see her towering over and intimidating Miss Elizabeth.

My Dad once told me he distinctly remembered Kevin Sullivan as a good guy in WWWF in the mid-70's, possessing a real-life baby face and an oversized gut as he got squashed in every match he engaged.

The guy I wonder about was Bullet Bob Armstrong. His name is occasionally bandied about in WWE, but as far as I know, he never competed here. Isn't he in the WWE Hall of Fame? He was a pretty big deal in the South long ago.....and I recall seeing him on a few Smoky Mountain broadcasts.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Larry Hennig also not wrestle for WWE, but was also considered a great for the NWA/AWA/What have you.

Kevin Sullivan (as Mustang Sally pointed out) and Larry Hennig both spent time in the WWWF.

Daffney.
I really liked her work over the years and I think she could have had a good role in the WWE. She had a good look to her. The whole "goth" thing was different than what WWE was doing at the time with the divas.

Kevin Sullivan (as Mustang Sally pointed out) and Larry Hennig both spent time in the WWWF.

Ah, thanks... I really wasn't aware of Hennig's time in WWWF... I hadn't even taken that into account.

Suppose we don't include the WWWF run, I would be inclined to say Bruiser Brody... oh well.

The Midnight Express is one team that never had a run in WWF according to WWE.com

Nikita Koloff is another one.

How could anyone forget the Great Muta!?

Abdullah the Butcher is another famous one...

I think maybe these names are too early for WCW days... but they could've definitely been in NWA.

Moved to the spam section since apparently listing names is as far as people's imaginations go around here. Barring Sally, of course. She's awesome.

I have to say my top five are:

Kevin Sullivan - Twisted and demented character. Would love to see him interact with Jake the Snake or The Undertaker. Would have made a great villain for the likes of Randy Savage or Bret Hart when they were champion. Not the greatest technician but one hell of a story teller.

Bobby Eaton - would love to have seen him enter WWE between 1990 & 1993, especially with Jim Cornette as his manager considering he wasn't very good on the mic. Would have made a great IC champion.

Vampiro - I always liked him during the dying days of WCW as well as XPW & AAA. During the Invasion I always wanted him to be revealed as Sara's stalker.

Magnum T.A.- Back in the 80's this guy seemed to have it all. A tremendous look, great ability, and the fans were behind 100 percent. Unfortunately a car accident cut his career short 1986, he never got to be world champion and he never got to take a trip up north.

Baby Doll - She competed in Texas and the old NWA. She was valet for Dusty Rhodes, Tully Blanchard, and Ric Flair. Her size alone would have made her an instant attraction. She was married to Sam Houston and is the sister of Jake Roberts. I would have put her with the Million Dollar Man and Andre in 1988. I could just see her towering over and intimidating Miss Elizabeth.

Jake's half sister was Robin, and wrestled as Rockin' Robin. Sam Houston is his brother. If Baby Doll was his sister then there was an even bigger problem in their family then people would admit. Watch the Jake doc, Pick your Poison. There's hints there from Jake that his sister was molested by their father, and was eventualyl killed by her husband's ex (she was 18 adn he was 53 when they married).

Did Verne Gagne wrestle for wwwf? I know there were a few of the Von Erich boys who didn't live long enough to make the trip up north and poor Kerry was saddled with the mediocre Texas Tornado gimmick and was never the star in wwf that he was back in Dallas.

Great shout to the original poster on Vampiro. I know he isn't a huge name like some of the other names suggested, but I would have loved to have seen him wrestle in the WWE. I have a always been a fan of his gimmick, and thought it could have had a lot of potential to go further with it in the WWE but unfortunately we never got that chance.

I think that guys like Bruiser Brody, The Junkyard Dog, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race and so on would have been legends like Sting without ever needing to step foot in the WWE. But if you want big stars you can always go with a lot of Japanese Wrestlers like The Great Muta, who were/are pretty big in Japan and in the wrestling world in general.

But we do have big american names like Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel, Magnum T.A, The Brisco Brothers, Dory Funk Jr. None are probably bigger than Sting but they were once very popular. I know they're not WCW/NWA guys, but well that's the closest thing I can find. By that era only Sting and Abdullah The Butcher are the two guys to never step foot in the WWF, with the japanese guys like Chono, Muta, Sasaki...

If memory serves me right, he either participated in the 1996 or 1997 Royal Rumble. And I would completely agree on Dory Funk Jr. if this weren't true. Dory was one of the more technically sound wrestlers of his age, in my belief.

If we are going for those little things I'm pretty sure that WWE already owned WCW by the time the last episode of Monday Nitro saw Sting vs. Flair in the main event, so making Sting a wrestler that indeed worked for the WWE.

Crowbar to go with Vampiro for no other reason than him being quite good in the ring also. As evidenced by:

[YOUTUBE]u3sSu9wWTv8[/YOUTUBE]

Do try out matches count?

A few of those late WCW/ECW guys would've been nice if the show wasn't too stacked from all the carry-on talent from both companies. Norman Smiley, Kaz Hayashi, 2 cold scorpio, Mikey Whipwreck. Nobody earth-shattering, but all decent workers.

2 Cold Scorpio had a run as Flash Funk and it was horrible. Not because he was a bad worker but because they gave him a terrible gimmick. When I saw the difference between him in the WWF and in ECW I was surprised.

I don't know if this is the reasoning on Vampiro but he has been trashed by guys like Eddie and Jericho about his personality and attitude. Supposedly in Mexico he would make false claims about guys so they wouldn't get pushed. If that's true maybe WWE didn't see him as marketable enough to take on with his reputation. He was/is huge in Mexico though.

Going through the list of WCW alumni honestly all the best people that stand out either worked in WWE for a short time even if it was a few matches or had developmental contracts.

If we are going for those little things I'm pretty sure that WWE already owned WCW by the time the last episode of Monday Nitro saw Sting vs. Flair in the main event, so making Sting a wrestler that indeed worked for the WWE.

Dory worked in WWF in the mid 80's as Hoss Funk in the tag team/stable The Funks even working at wrestlemania 2 with Terry against JYD and Santana I believe (not sure if that's the right tag team but they did work WM2 for sure). Brody, Scorpio and Sullivan all had runs in WWF as well. There's a lot of names mentioned in this thread who have had runs in WWF actually.

Vampiro was really good, I thought he had a lot going for him and would fit in well in the Attitude Era.

Magnum TA was probably the biggest name who never worked for WWF.

Nikita Koloff could have been a main event heel in WWF.

Not sure if these guys never worked a single match but none of them had any run whatsoever.

Dory worked in WWF in the mid 80's as Hoss Funk in the tag team/stable The Funks even working at wrestlemania 2 with Terry against JYD and Santana I believe (not sure if that's the right tag team but they did work WM2 for sure). Brody, Scorpio and Sullivan all had runs in WWF as well. There's a lot of names mentioned in this thread who have had runs in WWF actually.

Vampiro was really good, I thought he had a lot going for him and would fit in well in the Attitude Era.

Magnum TA was probably the biggest name who never worked for WWF.

Nikita Koloff could have been a main event heel in WWF.

Not sure if these guys never worked a single match but none of them had any run whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back