• Bill Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar, 2004

• Undertaker vs. Kane, 2004

• Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle, 2005

• John Cena vs. Miz, 2011

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Brain

King Of The Ring
With the Royal Rumble upon us I think it's appropraite we take a trip down memory lane. It has long been accepted that the Royal Rumble is the official beginning of the road to WrestleMania. With that in mind a lot of big mania feuds kicked off during the Royal Rumble match. For this thread I am speaking of only the Rumble match rather than the event as a whole. For example, Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior from 1991 would not qualify here. Even though their feud began at the Royal Rumble event it was not in the Royal Rumble match.

There are some good choices here but to me none of them are as big as Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior from 1990. It was such a simple and logical setup and those are usually the best. Hogan and Warrior were in the ring with a few other guys and it came to the point where they had eliminated the others to find themselves alone in the ring. Warrior had become really popular over the past year and a half and was viewed to be about as unbeatable as Hogan. This was the first time the two had crossed paths. The face vs. face match is common today but in 1990 it was extremely rare so I'm not sure many people ever even considered a Hogan vs. Warrior match. There was a certain excitement and electricity when the fans realized these two superstars were about to lock up. After a little stall to let the fans soak it in (an underappreciated aspect of wrestling) and a little shoving they hit each other with a double clothesline and laid on the mat until the next entry came into the match. We didn't get much of a confrontation between Hogan and Warrior but it was certainly enough to wet our appetites for more. It was a perfect example of less is more and they hype for their eventual match at WrestleMania VI was off the charts.

I came close to picking Michaels vs. Angle as that had been a dream match of mine but they just didn't match the star power of Hogan and Warrior. What's your pick? If you vote other please specify.

EDIT: I included Hogan vs. Savage and Taker vs. Kane even though their feuds got their start a bit before the Rumble because it was during the Rumble that we could safely assume a match at mania.

I would have to go ahead with Michaels/Undertaker II.

I was not going to mention it, but after seeing that you added Hogan/Savage and Taker/Kane even though the build started before the Rumble, then I think Michaels/Undertaker II is appropriate.

The feud technically started a week or two weeks before when HBK asked Undertaker for a rematch and he said no. HBK then decided he had to win the Rumble to face Undertaker, but when he was taken out by Batista, HBK went insane, superkicking referees, even Teddy Long and then cost Undertaker his World title at Elimination Chamber.

To me, HBK didn't begin his "obsession" with defeating The Undertaker until he was eliminated from the Rumble and therefore I believe the feud started there. It was a great feud and definitely my favorite compared to all the ones listed.

I would say Taker and Michaels at the 2007 Royal Rumble because it started the feud that carried on until Wrestlemania 26 (2010)

I'm really inclined to agree with Hogan/Warrior, as it really featured the best feud and payoff that stemmed from the Rumble itself.

However, I can't help but think that Goldberg/Lesnar should be up there too. If it wasn't for the terrible payoff match at WM 20, I think the feud was handled beautifully. Sure, it technically started before the Rumble, with the two briefly bumping into each other at Survivor Series, but nothing physical until the Rumble match itself.

Goldberg, who was the easy "favorite" to dominate everyone, gets rushed by Lesnar, who wasn't even in the Rumble, F-5'd, and eliminated. However, the whole brand split thing, with Lesnar as the champion on Smackdown, only furthered the tension, as they really couldn't get their hands on each other. Finally, Goldberg gets his vengeance by costing Lesnar the title at No Way Out, setting up the match at Mania. Under different circumstances, great feud, just bad timing for the payoff.

While the rumble had some Amazing moments and feuds throughout including the many great ones posted I'm going to go with a different one that I hope counts. I vote for Steve Austin and the Final 4. While Austin and Bret were feuding prior to the Rumble I think this moment is what really set up a lot for WM13 and the WWF in general. Once he interrupted the match it led to the IYH Final 4 PPV which then led to the infamous cage match with Bret and Sid that arguably was the first real shot of the attitude era. That was the first and maybe only time i've ever heard so much swearing on a WWE program. This in turn led to the WM 13 matches with Sid Taker and Bret Austin, one of which changed the fate of WWF forever (that being the Austin-Bret switch).

If this moment doesn't count then my vote is with Warrior Hogan as WM6 was one of the biggest matches of all time and in some ways was even better than Hogan Rock.

Even before I saw the options, I already knew the answer.

Hogan vs. Warrior.

Kurt Angle vs. HBK was a great match, but Hogan vs. Warrior was a battle between two Gods... or at least that's how my six year old self saw it. It was pretty ground breaking as the first major event to be headlined by a face vs. face main event, and was the first WM main event where I wasn't positive of the outcome.

Even before I saw the options, I already knew the answer.

Hogan vs. Warrior.

Kurt Angle vs. HBK was a great match, but Hogan vs. Warrior was a battle between two Gods... or at least that's how my six year old self saw it. It was pretty ground breaking as the first major event to be headlined by a face vs. face main event, and was the first WM main event where I wasn't positive of the outcome.

You just said it right on. A battle between two GODS lol. I myself just made a thread on my favorite wrestling memory and it revolved around this match. I was 9 at the time. I just purchased the royal rumble and wrestlemania anthology, and the way they just briefly met up in the rumble was perfect and it escalated to an awesome mania match that no one at the time could have said for sure who would win.

yup saw the title havent read peoples answers and know the answer!! Hogan V warrior!! As a somewhat youngster i was drooling at the idea!! To mega stars clashing at the second biggest stage even though nothing happened it just sent chills down my spine!! To find out a month later or so those two would lock up at WM i was over the moon!! It was a great match at that;everything happened during their encounter. Hogan missing his leg drop and warrior splashing him for the three count great great match!!

I actually give my vote to Jericho/Michaels from Royal Rumble 2003. It was Shawn's first rumble in i think five years and Jericho used Christian to get the upper hand on michaels and embarass him and then eventually making him the first elimination in the rumble. I then believe Shawn got his revenge later in the match.

One of my favourites was the HBK-Kurt Angle feud, which started at the 2005 Royal Rumble.

Kurt Angle had wrangled his way into the Royal Rumble, but was eliminated by a "Sweet-Chin-Music" by Shawn Michaels.

Angle later returned and helped get HBK eliminated from the "Royal Rumble", and put the ankle-lock on him.

From here started a feud which resulted in a classic Wrestlemania Match between "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle.

my fav would be y2j vs hbk in 2003. I know this fued started a few weeks before royal rumble and I also know that most of these fueds in this thread also started earlier so why not add this. At the 2003 rumble the fued between these two got really heated and you could pretty much know in advance that these two would fight at wm19. I always watch their promos on youtube. Hbk had jus come off the biggest fued of 2002 with triple h and fans wondered in their minds what is next for hbk. Y2j and hbk fued was fresh and the built to this fued had u wanting more because I would say that I wouldnt mind watching a dvd of this fued because jericho really shined in this fued on the mic.

I think it's HBK Vs The Undertaker 1. At the 2009 royal rumble, Michaels, who was working with JBL at the time, was preparing to be JBL's manager against John Cena. He had a choice on who to help when from out of no-where The Undertaker appeared and said " Sometimes it's he'll getting to heaven". It was a great moment and sign of things to come

Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle from Royal Rumble 2005.

It was a classic fued that started at the Royal Rumble with an awesome buildup and led to a 5-Star match at Wrestlemania 21. Loved Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle rivalry.

I think it's HBK Vs The Undertaker 1. At the 2009 royal rumble, Michaels, who was working with JBL at the time, was preparing to be JBL's manager against John Cena. He had a choice on who to help when from out of no-where The Undertaker appeared and said " Sometimes it's he'll getting to heaven". It was a great moment and sign of things to come

Awesome choice. I was thinking of the exact same thing but i couldn't for the life of me remember the getting into heaven is hell line. Right then you knew the groundwork was laid.

wow, my pick isnt even on the list! its macho king vs warrior. feud didnt start at the rumble but went into full burn at RR '91 when savage crashed the sceptor over warrior's skull, causing him to lose the wwf title to slaughter. this lead to the AWESOME "career ending" match at WM 7. which imo, was the best match on the card..

I'm gonna go for Y2J and HBK at the Rumble '03. Michaels was number one and Jericho was two. Christian came out instead of Jericho and then Y2J beat Michaels down till he bled and eliminated him first. I think Michaels eliminated Jericho later on leading to a brilliant match at WM.
IMO it was one of the best at Mania in the past 10 years.

I'd have to go for Michaels vs. Angle. In 2005, the brand split was really quite heavily enforced and the only time of the year you were guaranteed for inter-promotional contests was the Royal Rumble. Angle was on SmackDown and Michaels was on RAW. They were both in essence the best of their brand in terms of quality, and for years this was a dream match. Quite arguably the best technical wrestler of all time versus a man who was the complete package. It was just a dream though, right?

Angle wasn't even in the Rumble match to start with. He had to beat someone backstage (probably Scotty 2 Hotty, it usually is) to get into the damn thing. He did so, and while he came in with a full head of steam, it ultimately cost him as his own momentum propelled him into Sweet Chin Music and over the top he went. That tipped Angle over the edge and he went nuts, assaulting and eliminating Michaels. It was the start of their long winding Road to WrestleMania.

The feud itself was enjoyable, and the match, as you probably know, is a classic. This feud personified just how you could achieve a dream match in this era between two star athletes who hadn't crossed paths. It's something I'd actually like to see more of, but alas, I fear we may never see something quite like this ever again. It's a product of its time, and it's a damn fine one at that.

I don't know why so many people are picking Michaels vs. Taker. Their feud did not begin in the Royal Rumble match. They happened to be the last two in 2007. They did not wrestle each other at mania until 2009. Being the last two in 2007 had nothing to do with their mania match. Their brief encounter backstage at the 2009 Rumble doesn't really count here as I specifically stated a feud that began during the rumble match. Didn't you think it was strange that the match wasn't on the poll? The reason is it doesn't fit into this topic.

Michaels vs. Jericho was left off the poll for a reason too. Their feud was well under way by the Rumble. The groundwork had already been laid for mania. This was different than Hogan vs. Savage because until the Rumble Hogan vs. Savage was simply speculation. After the rumble it was obvious they were headed to mania. Taker and Kane started their feud at Survior Series 2003 but Taker disappeared immediatley after that. We didn't know when he would come back. It was during the Rumble in 2004 that we realized he was returning as the dead man and go to mania against Kane.

I thought about putting Roddy Piper vs. Badnews Brown from 1990 on the poll before HBK vs. Taker or Jericho.

wow, my pick isnt even on the list! its macho king vs warrior. feud didnt start at the rumble but went into full burn at RR '91 when savage crashed the sceptor over warrior's skull, causing him to lose the wwf title to slaughter. this lead to the AWESOME "career ending" match at WM 7. which imo, was the best match on the card..

Really? In my opnening post I used this exact match of an example of what not to pick in this thread. Here see for yourself.

For example, Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior from 1991 would not qualify here. Even though their feud began at the Royal Rumble event it was not in the Royal Rumble match.

I really wish people would take the time to actually read a thread, at least the opening post, before rushing to get their opinion in.

It's not receiving much love but I had to go with Hogan versus Sid Justice simply because it sticks in my memory as starting purely as a result of the Rumble.

The storyline was also compelling; Who was the true villain? Justice for blindsiding Hogan or Hogan for not accepting the 'every man for himself' concept and screwing Sid who didn't break any rules. The intrigue was stretched out with Sid's anger at Hogan getting named Flair's opponent at Mania before rescinding and apologizing and, finally answered (or politiced, depending on your viewpoint) when Sid walked out on Hogan leaving him to be double teamed by Flair and Taker and then cemented by Mr Eudy's destruction of Brutus Beefcake and his Barbershop. Such was the heinousness of these acts that Hogan voluntarily gave up his Title shot to gain his revenge on big Sid at WrestleMania. Throw in the possibility that the match could be Hogan's last and the build-up pretty much had everything.

The pay off match might not have been great but the feud build was brilliant and that is what the name of the thread is 'Best Mania Feud That Stated In The Rumble', not 'Best Mania Payoff Of A Feud Started At The Rumble'. Others that Brain listed had great payoff matches but I'd argue that none had a better storyline (in particular, none had as spectacular a beginning).

I thought the build to Angle vs Michaels was terrific. It was ferocious and bloody at the Rumble and in the short time, it set up the feud brilliantly. These two were masters anyway but they told a great story in a few short minutes at the Rumble.

It helps that they didn't put on one bad match at all and had remarkable chemistry. Their Mania match was a classic encounter in a story of one-upmanship. This is the modern benchmark for Rumble to Mania feuds.

My pick is not actually the best, I haven't seen the 1990 Rumble though I've seen a clip of Warrior - Hogan from the match and I can tell just from that single clip, that everybody was more excited for that than any other feud that started in the Rumble. My pick is more of my favourite and my pick is Sid vs. Hogan because it was the moment that everybody got sick & tired of Hogan and it was funny seeing Sid acknowledge that when he was pointing out to the "Hulk Who" sign and yelling it out. It was a sign that it was time for the new generation to take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back