• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best "Halloween Band"

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
We've all seen bands like KISS become huge, largely due to their outrageous costumes, and even wilder characters. I've had this thread idea for a while, but couldn't think of who to spotlight. With KISS being the obvious example, I wanted to shy away from them. There's also Cradle Of Filth, GWAR, Twisted Sister, Rammstein, and many others...

Then, this band came to mind:

lordi.jpg

Lordi is a metal band from Finland, and have slowly gained worldwide fame. The characters all original, and from the mind of the lead singer. They've gone as far as creating comic books, detailing the background of each individual member, and how the group came together. They're music and lyrics all cover the story as well, and it's all really well done. Their stage show is also quite the sight to be seen.

I know it was all done by KISS originally, and being trendsetters is great, especially in the music biz, but I'll personally take Lordi, being their my favorite Halloween-style band...

The Misfits. Not even close for any other band, including KISS. No band has ever captured the feeling of Halloween into their music like they did. Arguments could be made for Danzig's next band Samhain as well, but I'm going with the original Misfits here, one of the greatest punk bands ever.

I mean, they created horror-punk. Come on, they recorded THE official fucking Halloween song as far as I'm concerned:

Nevermind that 99.99% of their songs were about horror films and other Halloween related things. Come on, I'm ashamed you didn't say The Misfits here NSL.

Come on, I'm ashamed you didn't say The Misfits here NSL.

They were on a long list of bands that I didn't mention. I also can't hog everything for the OP, or the thread will die quickly. Didn't you see that with the "Drumo Solo" thread?

Anyway...The Misfits, or any other band of Danzig's definitely deserve a mention. They definitely created some amazing Halloween music, and it's nearly impossible to go to any show ever, anywhere, without seeing at least 3 Misfits shirts. I've tried. It just doesn't happen.

Gwar hands down, every fucking new show is another fun house for horror fans and metal heads. Gwar has undergone alot of changes in their history and allways tried to keep the same lineup. They go basically all out for their lineup and as far as I'm concerned lordi is a knockoff of gwar and kiss. And really if you look at it they are of kiss and gwar is just my add in lol. Anyone says slipknot and you will be dead to me for ever.

Nothing says Halloween to me like this song, and this band. I even love this youtube link because it sounds like it's playing on vinyl, which is just RIGHT for this song.

Nothing says Halloween to me like this song, and this band. I even love this youtube link because it sounds like it's playing on vinyl, which is just RIGHT for this song.

Are you purposely trying to make me find where you live, kidnap you, and make you my man-wife? Because posting Bauhaus videos is a pretty quick way to do that.

I fucking love Bauhaus, and right after the Misfits I'd put them there as the second best "Halloween" band ever. No one has ever made better goth music, ever. Real goth music mind you, the kind that died in the 80s with groups like Bauhaus and Alien Sex Fiend, not Marilyn Manson or any new "goth" bands. Ever seen the movie Night of the Demons Dexter? It involves the greatest Bauhaus scene ever.

Anyways, yeah, fucking adore Bauhaus. Here's some great songs.

Gwar hands down, every fucking new show is another fun house for horror fans and metal heads. Gwar has undergone alot of changes in their history and allways tried to keep the same lineup. They go basically all out for their lineup and as far as I'm concerned lordi is a knockoff of gwar and kiss. And really if you look at it they are of kiss and gwar is just my add in lol. Anyone says slipknot and you will be dead to me for ever.

Except for the fact that GWAR lacks talent, hasn't been unique in about 15 years, sure.

When Lordi was announced for Ozzfest, and people asked what they were like, Ozzy said in interviews that they were basically "GWAR...But talented". If they're not the best at their own gimmick, then they can't be the best Halloween band ever.

Good choice by Dexter, going with one of the original Goth bands. I'd also like to toss Alice Cooper out, since he was one of the original "shock rockers". He had the make-up, the stage act, and the songs to make a perfect Halloween.

Great choices thus far, and I'd certainly also endorse the great Alice Cooper.

But let me offer up another choice with Type O Negative. The song "Black No. 1" has become something of a Halloween anthem. It's an epic tune which basically tells the story of a man whose girlfriend, a devout and partially psycho goth chick, needs to dye her hair before Halloween night, hence the song title (Black #1 is the darkest hair color available) and the line "yeah you wanna go out 'cause it's rainin' and blowin'; you can't go out 'cause your roots are showin'; dye'em BLACK..." That's the story, and they made it into a very long and really quite beautiful song.

The lyrics are also poetry. "Her perfume smells like...burning leaves...everyday...is Halloween..." You listen to the song and feel like you are smack dab in the center of Haddonfield, Illinois on October 31st, it's 40 degrees, windy, and damp, and there is NOBODY around you that you can see.

Type O Negative, FTW.

Reactions: NSL
The song "Black No. 1" has become something of a Halloween anthem. It's an epic tune which basically tells the story of a man whose girlfriend, a devout and partially psycho goth chick, needs to dye her hair before Halloween night, hence the song title (Black #1 is the darkest hair color available) and the line "yeah you wanna go out 'cause it's rainin' and blowin'; you can't go out 'cause your roots are showin'; dye'em BLACK..." That's the story, and they made it into a very long and really quite beautiful song.

I love that song...I've seen them twice, and both times they just dominated the crowd with it. The story is funny, and since we all know someone like that, it's easy to sing along and have fun with.

Type O Negative, FTW.

According to X, they're nothing but a crappy nu metal band, but I agree IC25. They are a goth band, and they write some great songs for the holiday, namely Black No. 1. Add in I Love You To Death and you have a pair of songs fit for almost any Halloween-movie soundtrack.

They always play a show in my area around Halloween, usually with bands like Lordi, Cradle Of Filth, and once they had 3 Inches Of Blood. Very good show, and very fitting for the atmosphere.

According to X, they're nothing but a crappy nu metal band

You have to remember that I use the term "nu-metal" for pretty much any modern pop-ish metal. Yes, I know Type O is a dark band, but they're a far more pop oriented band than the majority of the metal scene. Atleast the metal I listen to.

Type O has never impressed me. Dexter showed me a good song of theirs yesterday that I liked, but aside from that they've never seemed special at all to me.

If there's an exception in this thread to bands with lesser artistic quality and hated by nearly everyone, but represents Halloween, then I have to mention Insane Clown Posse. For me, personally, I have not felt that distinct eerie feel in a song that reminded me of my childhood trick-or-treat days, like that of "Cemetery Girl," "The Loons," "Dead Body Man," "Ol' Evil Eye," "Under the Moon," "Echo Side," and "In My Room."

Damn shit I forgot about icp, I thought this was just a metal thread. Jesus I would like to change my side from gwar to Icp :)! Icp is one of the most hated and blah blah blah bands on the planet. Half of this site has seen the speil that I was going over. Icp has an anual halloween concert called hallowicked. Its a great band to me and comon they have facepaint on 24/7 365 their whole life revolves around halloween basically.

I have to completely agree about this one being the Misfits. Im talking 80s devil lock Misfits not the 90s Graves version. The original ones sang purely about killers and halloween and horror things. There song Halloween is like an unofficial anthem for the holiday. I know im sort of just repeating what xbeforefear said but I just agree with him here.

Except for the fact that GWAR lacks talent, hasn't been unique in about 15 years, sure.

When Lordi was announced for Ozzfest, and people asked what they were like, Ozzy said in interviews that they were basically "GWAR...But talented". If they're not the best at their own gimmick, then they can't be the best Halloween band ever.

WOW. Im basically speechless right now.
First off, no disrespect to you NightShift since I respect most of your tastes in music but, those comments are pretty messed up.

I'll agree on the fact that they havent had any dramatic changes since the beginning of thier career, but to state that they arent talented ESPECIALLY WHEN BEING COMPARED TO LORDI OF ALL THINGS, is quite a joke.

Lordi's music is written the exact same way pop rock radio music is written. Its based entirely on a hook or chorus and the music itself revolves around one direct sequence of power chords. Simply put, there is NOTHING to the music. Its basic, plain and just overall non-creative.

Gwar on the other hand, has had many sonic shifts throughout thier career. They try different things. Some worked exceptionally well while others did not. Thier music is based around music theory. (Remember, we're talking about the musical talent of these bands...not lyrical content). Then take every aspect of the music they make into consideration, they dont just write for the sake of a catchy hook. Their albums "Violence Has Arrived", "War Party" and "Beyond Hell" showcase an exspansive knowledge and talent when it comes to thier overall songwriting ability. Why do you think the al-mightly Devin Townsend wanted to work them? Trust me, there is a very good reason and sure as hell wasn't for mainstream exposure.

Go listen to Lordi's "Bite It Like A Bulldog" or W/E the hell its called, then listen to GWAR's "Immortal Corrupter" and you try to tell me Lordi is more talented.....I really dont think you are a musician yourself because if you were it wouldn't be very hard at all to see who has the talent between those 2 bands. Also, have you ever been to a GWAR live show??? Because, NOTHING...and I really do mean nothing, compared to a GWAR live in concert experience. Lordi doesnt even have a gimmick to display, they've even openly said before, that they are just a knock off of Kiss. Which isnt really something anyone should be bragging about to begin with.

Also, I highly remember Lordi being Boo'd off the stage and having every item known to man being thrown at them at the Ozzfest show I went to.

The Misfits by a mile and a half. They are the epitome of the halloween bands.

I mean come on, they done a cover of Monster Mash and as already pointed out before, almost all of their stuff is about halloween related topics. They also have that 'halloween look' and that raw horror punk sound that have made them an iconic band for newer punk, emo or whatever bands. Not to mention making a song called halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back