• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Backlash match ever!!

Would you have liked to see Backlash to continue?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
From 1999 to 2009, backlash was the backlash of wrestlemania, all the aftermath took place at this ppv. Some wished it had never ended, but it has come to an end. Out of the 11 shows, what i want to know is what was considered you best match of all time to take place at backlash. It doesn't have to be main events, it could be any match.

For me it would have to be Backlash 2000 main event. We was Triple H take on The Rock for the WWF champion with shane mcmahon as special referee. The odds were totally against The Rock. Vince had told the fans, austin wasn't here tonight, and throughout the match, it was still back and forth between the two. Just when vince brought in his minions gerald briscoe and patterson, Austins music hit and he took control with a steel chair, then it was up to the rock to finish the pieces, he hit the spinebuster followed by the peoples elbow and the 3 count got the crown hitting the roof, what an atmosphere..

Thats my all time favourite match of Backlash, what's yours??

backlash 2000 was probably the best overall. the fans were really into it, all the matches were exciting. this was when wwe cared about the undercard with matches like malenco vs scotty 2 hotty and xpac/road dogg vs edge n christian. but for best match i would have to go with raven vs rhyno for the hardcore title at 2001

I'm going with Randy Orton vs. Cactus Jack from 2004. This was an awesome hardcore match. This was so much better than the hardcore title matches from the attitude era. Those were lame matches where the participants just tried to find unusual weapons to use. This was a great fight. Cactus made Orton a star. In my opinion this is the match that took Orton to the next level and lead him to winning the world title at SummerSlam.

Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin 2005. It was the opening contest and was pure energy with near falls, great counter wrestling and a very good small package finish. It was the first time I remember seeing Shelton take that leap from canvas to the top turnbuckle and hook a perfect suplex. It wasn't a fallout match from WM or a main event; but it set the tone for a good show and was not matched skillwise by any other contest that night. I would put it up there with Angle/Mysterio from Summer Slam '02 as one of my favorite opening contests to a PPV.

the fatal-4 way match between DGE,ORTON,CENA nd HBK has to be one of the most amazing match to take place at backlash....the match was like a four-way sew-saw kept on shifting to each superstar nd cena came outta top a the sign of pure luck for the champ...
The storyline was perfect as cena did the unthinkable by beating HBK at mania...nd EDGE and ORTON had just broken up as a tag team had a lotta ego problems...where each wanting the world championship.....an amazing match nd an unpredictable end where HBK super kicked cena onto orton....cena knocked out falls dright on orton to get the pin...twas rainin SPEAR,RKO,SWEET CHIN MUSIC ND FU'S
amazin match

I personally thin that hhh vs the rock was the greatest. I thought it was a genious match betweeen the biggest wwe superstars at the time, It was an hour long iron match, which should have happened at wrestlemania 2000 instead of that dreadful fatal fourway match.

I would really have to say the Fatal 4-way at 07. It was amazing, the biggest dawgs of raw in one match, where everyone had a upperhand. The match kept going back and forth, and the end was amazing, everyone hitting their finishers. Cena won 'by accident' so it showed that Micheals could have won it. Then after the match the frustation on SM' s face. Great

I gotta say that I really liked Edge vs Benoit from 2005. Benoit was about to win MITB at WM21 but Edge came in with a chair and stole it from him in a huge shocker. Wanting revenge, they set up a LMS for the MITB. Great back and forth match, which ended with Edge pulling a brick out of the briefcase and hitting Benoit in the head with it. And if I'm not mistaken, it was the longest match on the card.

i would have to say an unexpected match ken shamrock vs the undertaker kenny n mark worked real well in that match it was very exciting

I would have to agree when people say that Triple H Vs The Rock from Backlash 2000 was the best. Stephanie, Vince and Shane all tried to screw The Rock out of the match but Linda and Stone Cold saved the day. It was a great match and could possibly be the best Rock Vs Triple h match. Close seconds for matches at Backlash are Cactus Jack Vs Randy Orton from 2004 and Edge Vs John Cena in a last man standing match fro 2009

Man there were a lot of classic matches at Backlash its hard to pick. But I think Rock and HHH in 2000 had to be the best single match. Had a great background to it and was well presented, finally the Rock was able to overcome and stick it to the McMahons after being screwed at WM16.

Other matches though, like Shane McMahon and The Big Show from Backlash 2001. THE, without a doubt, crazy WWE spot of all time with Shane doing the leap of faith from the giantic stage setup. The Twoman Powertrip vs. The Bro's of Destruction wasent too bad either. Rock vs. Goldberg was a dream match in 03. Hogan and HBK teaming up at 05 was great, so was the main event Batista-HHH 2. I didnt see 06-09 though.

Yeah off topic but the best IMO was 04. Cactus vs. Orton was crazy and the Final Encounter was better overall then the first.

Oh and too lukedangerfallon. You mentioned the Malenko vs. Scottie Too Hotty match, easily one of the best finishes of all time.

I'd agree with some people and say it was Randy Orton vs Mick Foley, this match really showed the worth of Orton to the company and the fact he was able to pull such an extreme match would be one of the reasons that he Won his first world championship only a few months later

Jeff vs. Matt I quit Backlash 09. Fantastic match, hardcore, and one of the best matches I'd seen in a while. I think it put a great ending to a subpar feud.

It's Difficult.

There were a lot of good matches at Backlash, such as the The Fatal 4 Way at 2007, the The Rock vs HHH at 2000, Goldberg vs The Rock at 2003, i really liked the Shelton Benjamin vs RVD at 2006, but i have no doubt that , the greatest, for me, was the Triple H vs Benoit vs HBK at 2004 :)

the fatal 4 way between edge, orton, hbk and cena was amazing. It was amazing throughout with a good finish.

Backlash has produced some quality matches, some better then Wrestlemania matches that very year.

A few that stand out are,

Al Snow/Hardcore Holly 99, at Mania they had Billy Gunn in the match, and it wasn't all that great, this one however was awesome, not quiet as good as their first match (St Valentines Massacre) but this match stand out to be one of the best I can remember.

6 way hardcore 00, someone else commented on this match, very good match, and IMO was better then the battle royal at mania 2000.

Hulk Hogan/HHH 02, This match never gets a lot of credit but this was a match that could of happened at Wrestlemania and the match they produced (apart from taker helping hogan win) could of been wrestlemania quality (compared to Mania 18 anyways)

Orton/Foley 04, this match gets ikt's fair amount fo respect, either way good match.

Triple threat 2004, Benoit/HHH/HBK, from what I can remember this match was just as good as Wrestlemania 20 if not better, would need to rewatch it tho, but i remember at the time thinking it was better then Mania 20.

Fatal four way 2007, Edge/Cena/HBK and Orton, great match gets a lot of respect great ending, probably the last great Backlash match.

I'd personally have to say Batista v Undertaker at '07 in LMS. It was like a mirror reflection of the WM match in some ways. For example, in the WM match Batista speared Taker in the first few seconds and then wailed on him for the next 5 minutes and Taker was constantly having to battle back. In the LMS, Taker was countering Batista repeatedly and it seemed like the Animal was in over his head.

Great finish with Batista spearing Taker off the stage and some of the equipment collapsing (to the point where the ref had to dive out of harms way), leaving both men unable to answer the 10 count.

I remember in 2007, that kid from Make-A-Wish-Foundation made the Fatal Four Way match between Randy Orton, John Cena, Edge, and HBK. Of course Cena came out on top, but I also remember the pretty funny promo between Cena and Orton earlier that night. This match had a great ending too! Near the end of the match, Orton attempted to RKO Cena. Cena, however, pushed Orton into Edge, which made Edge execute a Spear to Orton. Cena then performed an FU to Edge. When Cena turned around, Michaels superkicked Cena. When Cena fell, he landed on Orton and the referee counted
the pinfall. With all that, I remember having no idea what happened, and that must've been good.

This is also around the time the Undertaker and Batista rivalry was going on, and that night at Backlash, it was a Last man Standing match. I recall these two beating the living hell out of each other so much, they both couldn't get up, and the match ended in a draw. Plus, this match led up to the sick Steel Cage match, where both men made it out at the same time!

Backlash 2008 was a sick match, a Fatal Fourway Elimination Match, with John Cena, Randy Orton, JBL, and Triple H. Coming of Wrestlemania 24's Triple Threat match with Orton, Cena, and Trips, I knew this match was going to be epic. Triple H is my favorite wrestle, and I've been pulling for him all year, just waiting for him to end the Age of Orton (Remember that?). This match seemed to go so smoothly. John Cena just made JBL tap to the STFU, where Randy Orton then kicked Cena in the head, pinning him, and thus it came down to Orton and HHH. After a good more amount of fighting, Triple H finally won the WWE champion ship with a Pedigree to Orton, this match was nearly 30 minutes!

Earlier that night in 2008, it was MVP vs. Matt Hardy for the US title. Everybody remembers that feud right? Matt came back from injury and coasted MVP the MITB. The two fought off for the title, and Hardy finally won what he deserved, and ended the long reign of MVPs. I was pulling for Hardy the whole time, as I felt he deserved a title like that, and he kept it a good amount of time...I believe till the Great American Bash.

One more match I should mention from 2008, is the match between Taker and Edge. I remember laughing my ass off seeing Edge tap at Mania, and the rest of the feud between Vickie, Taker, and Edge. I remember seeing Edge getting taken off by the stretcher, and me thinking it was finally over. Unfortunately it wasn't, and Vickie bant the move, but this feud led to the temporary end of Vickie and Edge, and it was nice to have a break from the two on Smackdown.

And in 2009, I'm sure we all remember these matches. That Six man tag team match was fantastic. It had a huge build up, from Orton's feud with the McMahon's, and Batista returning. Orton had a huge heat, and punted the hell out of Triple H, which started a whole new era on Raw. This also led to Batista's injury, and his heel turn!

Early in the night, Christain won his first title coming back to the WWE by beating reigning champion Jack Swagger. I remember towards the end, As Swagger ran to attack his opponent, Christian dodged one last tackle, having Swagger's head collide with the exposed steel, before grabbing him by the arms, and connecting with his finishing move, the Killswitch, driving his head into the mat and pinning him to win his first ECW title. This was a cool ending, and it only led to an even greater night.

Then, Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy. That feud was very intense, and very dark. I think there should be more feuds like this in the WWE, it it brought back memories of the Attitude Era. There was an awesome ending, as Jeff Hardy tied Matt to a table, and made him cry for Mercy. Jeff even ended up breaking Matt's wrist! Although, if it didn't have the amazing build up and background of the Storyline, this match would have been nothing.

Finally, we saw that Last man standing match with John Cena, and Edge. I wouldn't say this was the best, but it showed of what could have been back in 2007. In fact, it was a total Deja Vu bomb from 2007. Around No Mercy, Cena was scheduled to fight Orton in a Last Man standing match, with the segment was supposed to feature Cena getting beat down by Orton, and Orton counting to 10, which he did, but Cena go injured earlier in the match, with Kennedy. Cena of course, worked his ass of trying to make sure the night went as planned, and actually took the beat down, with a torn muscle.

Around the build up to Backlash, Edge did the same thing. Attacking Cena, and then counting to 10. At this point I had a feeling Edge was going to win, as Orton was scheduled to win in 2007 as well. In the end, Edge did win, but not without the help of Big Show, as we actually saw Cena get chokeslammed through a Stage light. In my opinion, this looked real, and only made it more exciting.

Backlash was always a great Pay Per View, but always just seemed..like backwash instead, backwash from Wrestlemania. I'd say keep Unforgiven and No Mercy, and lose this pay per view.

The 2007 event was a very good show and the two main events were the highlight and, in my opinion, are two of the best Backlash matches ever. The fatal four way was an intertersting match as it featured the very top four guys on RAW at the time, seeing as how HHH was out injured. The finishing sequence to the match was very exciting with everyone hitting their finishers on each other. Cena winning the way he did annoyed me at the time because I was a Cena hater back then, but I look back at it now and see how clever it was. The LMS match was just a brutal fight and, once again, the ending to the match was spectacular.

However, the best Backlash match ever is Orton vs Foley in 2004. This was bloody, brutal, violent and extremely entertaining. It's just a classic Foley match and the match which really made me take notice of Orton. Great match and Backlash's best ever.

One of the most memorable events was Backlash, I could not limit myself to one match.

1.) Backlash 2004 - No Holds Barred
Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack

2.) Backlash 2003 - WWE Championship
Brock Lesnar vs John Cena

3.) Backlash 2008
Shawn Michaels vs Batista

4.) Backlash 2000 - Intercontinental Championship
Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho

5.) Backlash 2000 - WWE Championship
Triple H vs The Rock
(special enforcer:Stone Cold Steve Austin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back