Bates Motel

hatehabsforever

Staff member
So after about two months or more of hype and commercials, this new series is set to debut on A&E this coming Monday (unfortunately during RAW). As I'm sure many of you already know, it's a retrospective look into Norman Bates and the history which lead into the development of the infamous character portrayed in the classic Psycho movie. I for one am really psyched for this commencement of this series, the commercials make it look pretty interesting, albeit from a modern perspective.

Anyone else eagely anticipating this one, or am I all alone?

You're not alone habs, I've been waiting for this show the day I was told about it. I'm guessing I will record it and watch it after RAW but I'm definitely going to be watching it. I'm a huge fan of Psycho and this is one of the few shows on TV I'm actually interested in.

Can't wait to see it. I only found out about this on wikipedia just 2 weeks ago after watching the entire Psycho series.

If you go ON Demand, you can catch it already, as they've released an advanced preview of the first episode. If the first episode is any indication, I won't waste my time. Vera Farminga has been very good in the past, (especially in UP In The Air), but even she couldn't hold together a pretty shoddy pilot. I don't have high hopes for it after seeing the first episode. Overall very poorly acted, cliched script, and several plot holes already in just a 45 minute episode. I'll catch probably another episode or two On Demand the next day when they come out, but won't waste much more time then that if the show doesn't improve dramatically.

If you go ON Demand, you can catch it already, as they've released an advanced preview of the first episode. If the first episode is any indication, I won't waste my time. Vera Farminga has been very good in the past, (especially in UP In The Air), but even she couldn't hold together a pretty shoddy pilot. I don't have high hopes for it after seeing the first episode. Overall very poorly acted, cliched script, and several plot holes already in just a 45 minute episode. I'll catch probably another episode or two On Demand the next day when they come out, but won't waste much more time then that if the show doesn't improve dramatically.

Where the FUCK have you been you son of a gun?

I've been extremely pumped to get into this series. I'm hoping LSNs is just one man's opinion.

Im hoping it was just one poor episode. I plan on giving it a chance for at least a few episodes. It wasn't all bad, just disapointing from what I was expecting.

Just watched the first episode of the show, I loved it and I thought it was pretty awesome. Can't wait to see how the show develops as it moves forward.

Dark, creepy, mysterious, and I really enjoyed Vera Farmiga as Norma. Bates Motel did enough in the series premiere to hook me in, and I'm looking forward to next week's show.

I quite enjoyed the 1st episode. The whole atmosphere makes you feel uneasy and hooked you into wondering what would happen next.

The only thing (and its nothing they could have avoided) whenever I look at Norman I see Charlie Bucket. I mean the kid looks just like he did in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory except he's taller.

Glad there's a thread on this. I saw the commercials and thought that it was quite interesting. Someone tell me more about it based on the first episode that was aired?

Norman and his mother move to a new city to start over. In doing so they buy a house and a motel (same one from the movie). Norman's mother is kind of impulsive and protective and you see it greatly affect Norman's psyche especially when he's trying to make new friends. Oddly enough the chicks are all over Norman in this show (I wish I got picked up by 5 chicks my first day of school, just saying). That's all I will say as I don't wanna get too much into it but it was a very good episode, it stays fairly true to Psycho and gives you an atmosphere not seen in most shows which is what it needs.

Just in case you didn't know it takes place in present day and not the 40's or 50's when the movies take place.

Watched it a second time, and I have to admit, it grew on me. There were things I missed the first time that tied in missing plot holes, and while Im still not a fan of the Norman Bates character as is(yet) Vera Farmiga really carried the episode. She's an incredibly diverse actress and while I won't skip Raw to see it, I'll catch it the next day at least in order to see what direction the series takes. Thumb slightly up.

I'm about to wrap it up and I'm totally digging this. I love the movie and was also a big fan of Smallville so the concept works for me. This should be good stuff and the pilot was excellent.

Now I may or may not watch Bates Motel (I usually get to the party late with new TV shows...), but has anyone else noticed that A&E and AMC have become two of the best channels on TV?

Wherever they're looking for their shows, keep up the great work. A&E has the best of the crime dramas (First 48, Beyond Scared Straight) and some fantastic original shows while AMC has Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.

Can't think of a better two for my buck, except maybe something involving The Food Network.

Now I may or may not watch Bates Motel (I usually get to the party late with new TV shows...), but has anyone else noticed that A&E and AMC have become two of the best channels on TV?

Wherever they're looking for their shows, keep up the great work. A&E has the best of the crime dramas (First 48, Beyond Scared Straight) and some fantastic original shows while AMC has Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.

Can't think of a better two for my buck, except maybe something involving The Food Network.

I would argue FX is the second best network on TV in terms on delivering quality programming (behind AMC). I mean Sons Of Anarchy, Justified, The Americans, Legit, Louie, Archer, The League, etc, that's a lot of great shows for one network to be putting on the air.

HBO is still king for me. Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and the criminally ignored Treme (of course I understand that not catching on, with its slow pace and the fact that it's not even remotely plot-driven) .

AMC is great with Mad Men and Breaking Bad (especially Mad Men), but little else they put out hits home with me. Hell On Wheels was a dud, Walking Dead is just never going to be my thing, The Killing was a joke, and Rubicon didn't catch on like I wish it would have.

FX has stuff I love like Justified and The Americans and stuff I appreciate like Louie and Archer (and stuff that's occasionally good, like SOA). Still not sure I'd take it over my current crop of HBO dramas, but it's a good shout.

I've never watched an A&E original drama in my life but I'm going to give Bates Motel a go in spite of how sure I am you're all exaggerating its appeal.

HBO is still king for me. Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and the criminally ignored Treme (of course I understand that not catching on, with its slow pace and the fact that it's not even remotely plot-driven) .

AMC is great with Mad Men and Breaking Bad (especially Mad Men), but little else they put out hits home with me. Hell On Wheels was a dud, Walking Dead is just never going to be my thing, The Killing was a joke, and Rubicon didn't catch on like I wish it would have.

FX has stuff I love like Justified and The Americans and stuff I appreciate like Louie and Archer (and stuff that's occasionally good, like SOA). Still not sure I'd take it over my current crop of HBO dramas, but it's a good shout.

I've never watched an A&E original drama in my life but I'm going to give Bates Motel a go in spite of how sure I am you're all exaggerating its appeal.

Yeah, it goes 1. HBO, 2. AMC, 3. FX, 4. Showtime.

I looked over your FX list and didn't see Sons of Anarchy. Have you watched at all? Just started three weeks ago and I'm into the second season (I'm moving through them at a snail's pace, I know. Work - it's a bitch). Much like Justified - a lot of fun, not great, though.

Much like Justified - a lot of fun, not great, though.

Except Justified is great. Awesome lead in Timothy Olyphant and possibly one of the most underappreciated character actors going in Walton Goggins. A fantastic supporting cast, original premise, and excellent themes of loyalty and family and how they affect one's outcome and who they are, and why they do the things they do.

Plus the injection of humor into serious situations makes the show all the more enjoyable, and the banter between Raylan(Olyphant) and Boyd(Goggins) is always fun. There's been an episode here and there that's been filler, but not many. And they manage to tie up every loose end from season's beginning to end, which so many shows gloss over.

And I still maintain that the pilot of Bates was just decent, not great.

I've seen four seasons of SOA.

Season three was really, really bad. Thank goodness for that finale.

Except Justified is great. Awesome lead in Timothy Olyphant and possibly one of the most underappreciated character actors going in Walton Goggins. A fantastic supporting cast, original premise, and excellent themes of loyalty and family and how they affect one's outcome and who they are, and why they do the things they do.

Plus the injection of humor into serious situations makes the show all the more enjoyable, and the banter between Raylan(Olyphant) and Boyd(Goggins) is always fun. There's been an episode here and there that's been filler, but not many. And they manage to tie up every loose end from season's beginning to end, which so many shows gloss over.
And the show has Jere Burns reacting to surprising things. Can't go wrong with that.

tumblr_m1dum408HR1qc5ommo1_500.png

tumblr_m1duc1jNn71qbft36.png

tumblr_m2arb3loOs1qf4sbho1_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back