Baseball Etiquette

Milkyway!

Hodor!
Baseball is a very interesting sport when it all comes down to it. Everyone has a role, and Baseball definitely has an unwritten set of rules known as "Baseball Etiquette"

It's pretty simple. Just as you eat your salad with the fork furthest to the left, you have "proper" things to do in Baseball.

I'll give some examples.

A) When you hit a home run DO NOT make eye contact with the pitcher, DO NOT dance, DO NOT stare down the ball. It's improper Baseball Etiquette.

Now If you break these cardinal rules of Baseball Etiquette, then it's very likely the next batter the pitcher faces will either 1) be taking a ball to the ribs (Usually no consequences unless the benches have already been warned according to your average "Baseball Etiquette" or 2) be dodging a ball thrown at the head. (Improper Baseball Etiquette! Usually an ejection, or warning if the Umpire is having a good day follows)

B) If your team hits back-to-back Home Runs, then it is considered improper Baseball Etiquette to swing on the first pitch. It's to be "courteous" to the opposing team.

There's even Baseball Etiquette towards your own team mates, such as pitchers NOT showing up their infielders even if they can make a tremendous play. When that's done your team mates take notice, and generally do not like what they see. You're likely to see a few "errors" on the next few ground balls if you do this to your infielders.

Baseball is an interesting sport. It's considered to be "okay" for a manager to spit, yell, scream, kick dirt, and curse the living hell out of an umpire for a few bad calls. It's merely looked over, and generally speaking, the manager is looked at to be on the right side of things whereas the umpire is trying to screw over that team! It shows Baseball Etiquette makes it okay to throw temper tantrums when things aren't going your way.

1) Of course there's many many more examples that could be tossed about, and I would like for you guys to throw out anymore examples of Baseball Etiquette you may find funny, interesting, or just plain insane.

2) What do you think about Baseball Etiquette? Does it really make some of the "childish" behaviors acceptable seen in Baseball?

3) How much does Baseball Etiquette add to - or take away from the sport of Baseball?

Baseball Etiquette is a load of bullshit for the most part. I get the whole tradition aspect but with all of the unwritten rules it gets a tad bit ridiculous. There is also no continuity. Different players and managers get upset at different things and there is all of differing opinions over what is ok and what is not.

Just last night during the Tigers/Angels game there were multiple unwritten rules that were broken and there was a differing of opinions over what was acceptable and what wasn't. The pitchers, Justin Verlander and Jered Weaver, were upset over different things that happened in the game but neither of their managers were overly concerned with anything that happened.

This is no longer the 1950's. The game of baseball and professional sports in general has evolved so much that this so called "baseball etiquette" doesn't really exist all that much anymore. Some Baseball traditionalists may still talk about it and think it should be followed but I find it outdated and borderline ridiculous.

Not being able to bunt during a no-hitter is as silly as they come. If you're in a close game and just need a runner or two (especially a strong base stealer) it makes sense to bunt on a pitcher whose seems untouchable. It gets you a base runner, increases his pitch count and gets in the pitcher's head. If the pitcher's defense is unprepared and can't handle it, it is their problem.

Baseball Etiquette is a load of bullshit for the most part. I get the whole tradition aspect but with all of the unwritten rules it gets a tad bit ridiculous. There is also no continuity. Different players and managers get upset at different things and there is all of differing opinions over what is ok and what is not.

However ridiculous it may be, you cannot deny the existence of it. There are a few things that managers, players, etc differ on, but for the most part there is an unwritten set of rules most anyone can pickup on even after 5-10 games of watching a full baseball game.

Just last night during the Tigers/Angels game there were multiple unwritten rules that were broken and there was a differing of opinions over what was acceptable and what wasn't. The pitchers, Justin Verlander and Jered Weaver, were upset over different things that happened in the game but neither of their managers were overly concerned with anything that happened.

You're correct from the offensive stance of the ball, no doubt. However put yourself in Justin Verlander's shoes, or even Weaver's shoes throughout this whole game. They're in the race for 1st, they're both teams Aces, and both of them are chasing after the CY-A this year.

Weaver usually pitches better than at the level which he performed, wouldn't you be frustrated; to the point of throwing a pitch at a guy? Imagine, you've thrown 110 pitches, and some douche bag smacks a home run off your one-two bad pitches of the night. He then proceeds to stare the home run down, and even side-shuffle all the to first staring you down! Yeah, I'd throw a ball at someone too.

As for Verlander I'm not saying what the batter did was wrong, but I will say it's in poor tastes in a sense. A no-no is something very very special. Whether it's been done several times throughout history at this point, a no-no was once a pitcher's World Series in a sense. Their name goes down in history next to the likes of Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Hippo Vaughn; and done something the likes of Greg Maddox, Roger Clemens, Lefty Grove, and Pedro Martinez failed to do. Wouldn't you be upset that someone in a sense cheated your no-hitter?

This is no longer the 1950's. The game of baseball and professional sports in general has evolved so much that this so called "baseball etiquette" doesn't really exist all that much anymore.

Upon watching 5-10 games of baseball you will find out really quick some of the rules of Baseball Etiquette. It pops up all the time. It may not be the 1950's but one thing baseball has done is keep many many traditions throughout time. Such as why Baseball doesn't want to bring technology into the game, it takes away an aspect of the sport, Human Error; but that's an entirely different topic.

Some Baseball traditionalists may still talk about it and think it should be followed but I find it outdated and borderline ridiculous.

There needs to be some rules. Unlike football, where they literally penalize you for excessive celebrating, unlike Basketball where you get a technical when overly celebrating, Baseball has Etiquette, in which you excessively celebrate, your next batter gets a pitch to the ribs.

Like Big Sexy, I am from Michigan, and a Detroit Tigers fan. Also like Big Sexy, I think the "unwritten rules" are bullshit. I look at it this way: If Jared Weaver had been pitching a no-hitter, and a Detroit Tiger bunted to try to break it up, would I have a problem with it? Hell no, I want my team to do anything it can within the WRITTEN rules of the game to win. If that means bunting to get a runner on base, then it means bunting.Even during a no-hitter. Why is it the job of the other team to make it easier for the opposing pitcher? Is a no-hitter special? Sure. But it isn't the job of the batters to help. Their job is to help their team WIN. Was I mad that Verlander's no-hitter got broken up? Yeah...but not because Aybar bunted, it was because it got broken up. But Verlander still got the win, which is all that matters.

The goal in baseball isn't to pitch a no-hitter, it's to win the damn ballgame. The Angels were doing what they thought gave them a better chance to win the game. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I cannot understand why baseball etiquette makes it so offensive to try to disrupt a no-hitter via the bunt. Isn't the job of the batter to get on base any way possible, to try to give your team a chance to score runs and ultimately win the game? I have no problem whatsoever with trying to end a no hit bid with a late bunt single. It's up to the defense to make the play and preserve the pitcher's opportunity. If he can bunt his way on base, more power to him.

With regards to throwing at the head of the batter after the guy hit the homerun and taunted the pitcher severely, I say good for him too. Admittedly he should not have been near the guy's head but if I were Weaver, that next batter was getting a fastball in the rib cage or between the shoulder blades, no doubt about it. And if they play each other again later this season, and Weaver gets the opportunity to face the guy who taunted him, again, right in the rib cage on the first pitch with as hard a fastball as I could throw. Etiquette aside, it was ignorant and inflammatory. It's one thing to stare at the ball and pose and flip the bat as the ball leaves the park. It's something else altogether to stare directly into the eyes of the pitcher, face on and then sideways as he shuffled up the baseline. If I were Weaver I'd have a good memory, and I'd give that guy reason to think twice next time he showed me up in such a manner.

With regards to throwing at the head of the batter after the guy hit the homerun and taunted the pitcher severely, I say good for him too. Admittedly he should not have been near the guy's head but if I were Weaver, that next batter was getting a fastball in the rib cage or between the shoulder blades, no doubt about it. And if they play each other again later this season, and Weaver gets the opportunity to face the guy who taunted him, again, right in the rib cage on the first pitch with as hard a fastball as I could throw. Etiquette aside, it was ignorant and inflammatory. It's one thing to stare at the ball and pose and flip the bat as the ball leaves the park. It's something else altogether to stare directly into the eyes of the pitcher, face on and then sideways as he shuffled up the baseline. If I were Weaver I'd have a good memory, and I'd give that guy reason to think twice next time he showed me up in such a manner.

This is where I would disagree. When a batter taunts a pitcher, the only thing that can possibly get hurt is the pitcher's feelings. The batter doesn't have a hard object that he can throw at the pitcher at 90+ mph. Weaver does. You know the old phrase, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me? Well, in this case, sticks and baseballs may break my bones. If Weaver had actually hit Alex Avila, he could have seriously injured him.

I don't care if batters and pitchers jaw at each other, in the name of gamesmanship, but head hunting is NEVER okay, because it can cause serious harm.

If pitchers want to taunt batters after he strikes them out, fine. If batters want to taunt the pitcher after hitting a homerun, also fine. Nobody gets hurt. The two are roughly equivalent. But intentionally throwing a fastball at a player's head? Not cool at all. There is a difference between taunting and taking a cheap shot. Surely as a hockey fan, you understand the difference between two guys jawing, pushing and shoving, leading to a legit, fair hockey fight and Claude Lemeiux on Kris Draper cheap shot. Or, since you are a Bruins fan, what your own Marty McSorely did to Donald Brashear. Pitchers throwing at batters heads are cheap shots. Dirty.

This is where I would disagree. When a batter taunts a pitcher, the only thing that can possibly get hurt is the pitcher's feelings. The batter doesn't have a hard object that he can throw at the pitcher at 90+ mph. Weaver does. You know the old phrase, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me? Well, in this case, sticks and baseballs may break my bones. If Weaver had actually hit Alex Avila, he could have seriously injured him.

I don't care if batters and pitchers jaw at each other, in the name of gamesmanship, but head hunting is NEVER okay, because it can cause serious harm.

If pitchers want to taunt batters after he strikes them out, fine. If batters want to taunt the pitcher after hitting a homerun, also fine. Nobody gets hurt. The two are roughly equivalent. But intentionally throwing a fastball at a player's head? Not cool at all.

Which is exactly why I said I had a problem with him throwing at the guy's head, but absolutely no problem plunking the guy in the back, or the ribs, or the leg. Headhunting is never acceptable, but retribution for taunting the pitcher definitely is. That was one of the worst examples of taunting I've seen in a while. That guy deserved a fastball in the ribcage. Because in all likelihood this opportunity would not present itself later in this game, the next best thing would have to do. Whatever happened to respect for your teammates? He had to have known that in all likelihood, the next batter was going to pay the price for his showboating.

Let's face it, the pitch near the head was nothing more than a message. If Weaver really wanted to hit the guy in the head, he would have done so. With his stuff and his control, I doubt he would have missed by that much if he truly wanted to decapitate the guy. Message sent and message received.

What's the difference? It's still deliberate intent to harm, when the only thing that got bruised on him was his ego. Intentionally trying to injure someone, outside of the normal activity in a game, is never called for. Whether he aimed for the head, legs, body, it's still head hunting in the general meaning of the term, and it's still a cheap, dirty shot. If he wants to get even, then he taunts the next batter he strikes out. Trying to injure someone isn't getting even, regardless of where the ball is placed.

I guess it all comes back to the point being raised by the OP. There are known unwritten rules, etiquette if you will, in most sports, especially baseball. Everyone knows if you show up the pitcher, there's a price to pay, either by you personally or by a teammate. The dude had to have known that his actions would definitely elicit a reaction, this mindset goes back for decades. If I were Weaver and was in that situation, that next batter was getting a fastball in the ribs, no hesitation whatsoever. The taunter should have known that and had more respect for the pitcher and for his teammate coming behind him. Intent to injure is one thing, message sending is quite another. Batters get intentionally hit by pitchers on a daily basis for a variety of reasons, this being one of them. Protecting the outer half of the plate, keeping a hitter off balance, as well as other reasons, and teaching a little respect is another. Because nothing screams respect in baseball quite like a 90mph fastball in between the shoulder blades.

Just like in the NHL. If, for example, a Tampa Bay Lightning player cheap shots Sidney Crosby, for example. Chances are, Stamkos or someone like that will pay the price for it. May not be fully logical, but that's the way it is. Makes a player think twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back