Barbosa Critiques Your Character

Lets hear it

Barbosa on Showtime

I am not going to beat about the bush - Showtime Dave Cougar is second only to Ty Burna as the best character in the fed's history (well, for what I have been around for anyway).

However, this is not because of being particularly stand out or innovative - there are several others who are head and shoulders above Showtime in that regard - but because you have been careful to make sure that he does not become stale. Timely turns have helped his character immensely by giving him the edge that the likes of Reynolds and Runn lack.

Indeed, the similarities/contrasts between Cougar and Reynolds are rather striking - at their core, they are essentially the same character but one is gone and the other has just been voted Superstar of the Year and is a two time and current WZCW champion. This is not a dig at Numbers in any way, rather a pat on the back for Showtime - Cougar could easily have meandered aimlessly after having feuded with all the talent of his 'generation' but you were able to keep his head above water long enough to plug him into a whole other set of feuds with newer talent and already look like you are preparing for the next generation as well.

I want it. Go ahead and shoot me.

Barbosa on Chris KO

This is going to be nowhere near as bloody as you seem to think.

Actually, I have nothing against Chris KO or the White Knight gimmick itself, just that it was used for a face when it is an archetypal heel character and on top of that it was essentially a "self-proclaimed" title, which makes it even worse. IRL, the moment Chris KO announced himself as the White Knight of WZCW, he would have had the absolute shit booed out of him.

Others might have had their rub stunted - Bowen, some got perhaps as much as they could/needed from it - SHIT, but while it would seem that Chris KO was the main beneficiary of the end of the AoC, I see it the other way - he ended up the biggest loser because of it.

On top of it never really making all that much sense to me, with Ty leaving, KO's face turn was rushed and because of that it imbued KO with more heelish rather than face traits - essentially, he was stabbing his mentor in the back, despite being elevated by his association with him and stealing his girl in the process. Add in the self-proclaimed White Knight title and you have all the hallmarks of a heel rather than a top babyface. The "face emerging from an heel stable" can work but the heel leader has to be the betrayer of his underling - see HHH and his turning on Orton and then Batista - rather than the other way around.

If I was being honest, I think criticism of White Knight KO and the handling of it was not dealt with well by both sides of that divide. One side stuck to their snap judgement of it being a bad idea from the start, not recognising that circumstances beyond Creative/KO control had played a major role in creating it and the other seemingly trying to forge ahead with original plans that had been irrevocably smashed.

I think you yourself took it a bit too personally (and why wouldn't you with the work you put into the fed) and tried to fight against the irresistible "Chris KO is a heel" tide and it was reflected in your RPs. However, now that the bitching has subsided (for now, it is always there under the surface waiting for an excuse) and you have looked at the situation in the cold light of day and embraced it, I am excited for what the next 6 months could bring for Chris KO both in terms of character and storylines.

If done right, he could become the most detestable prick in WZCW history.

For the lulz.

Barbosa on Cooper

For long periods, Cooper was about as inconsistent as it gets - able to challenge the top brass or win titles one week, the next he would have trouble beating a corpse.

Not having something to rage against would seem to have been that something that was missing - seriously, your conspiracy theorising makes Drake look merely inquisitive and can be a pain in the arse but it definitely correlates with an upturn not just in direction but in the quality of your RPing.

Of course, having an actual storyline to get your teeth into could also have something to do with it (you're welcome - I'll have a beer and Miko will have a scotch on the rocks, with a twist)

I never understood why Cooper did not jump on the religious heel bandwagon and ride to the moon rather than just have it a gimmick - Winters/Cooper could have formed a stable that combined the "New Church/AoC" angles, perhaps even with Ty revealed as their orchestrator.

I'm overtaken by curiosity, so if you please could...

Barbosa on Overlast

When I think of Overlast, I immediately think of Blade and not just because of the SoD, a stable that I thought had some legs.

No, I saw Overlast the successor to Blade. Now there are some who would consider that something of a put down and while I did not find Blade all that entertaining, he filled an important role within the fed and when he left there was something of a mid-card heel shaped hole that has only recently been filled by Rush/Smith.

Therefore, when I say that I saw Overlast as the future Blade, I mean as a dependable anchor in the mid card and used as something of a workhorse, occasionally challenging for titles, having an extended feud with any number of people - elevating lower card, fellow mid carders and testing main eventers. For example, had either Blade or Overlast still been around, I would have expected one or other of them to be placed in front of the likes of XXX as a test or even be an opponent for Showtime early in his reign.

While that might not seem overly glorious, when you look at it, such a role can be where all the variety of competitors is and it is that variety that breeds the enjoyment in RPing and the shows.

Pardon me, my good sir.

Might I trouble you for some criticism of my character?

Sorry that this is so late.

Ok, this has gotten me curious, James and Jimmy.

Barbosa on James King

Was surprised that you gave up on him. Not only was he part of one of the more interesting tag teams we have had in the Forgotten Powers but he was also just starting to find his feet as a singles competitor (AoC helped him there too).

Barbosa on Jimmy Flynn

Early days for Flynn yet but I think there is potential. If my suggested Old School faction/feud started by Rush came about I could easily see Flynn joining up with him.

Pardon me, my good sir.

Might I trouble you for some criticism of my character?

Barbosa on The Masked Gentleman

En francias? Non. An interesting character here. You write him well and have gone with a tag team combination that is perhaps even sillier than Saxoteur.

At the start, I thought that it was going to be a shortlived thing but both you and Theo have embraced it, meshing your two extremely different characters into an effective team that is now just one match away from a tournament final. Kudos.

Reactions: TBK
Alright my good man, have at it. I'm also curious what you'd want to see out of Fairy Glitter Armageddon here in the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back