• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bands and deceased members

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
Now some band members leave because they think they can make it on their own or don't like the direction the band is going or they don't like the other members. But what about when a member dies???

Most of the bands I listen to have a member who died when the band was still together. (So The Beatles don't count) Some of these bands replaced the member with someone else (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains) and some broke up and made a new band (Nirvana broke up and Dave Grohl made Foo Fighters and the remaining members of Joy Division made New Order) Sometimes a band stays together with the remaining members (Manic Street Preachers and The Doors)

So if the band stays together do you think the new member/s have a lot to live up to (filling in someone else's shoes) and do you think the music is better/same/worse than before with the new member???

Red Hot Chili Peppers music stayed the same for me. When Hillel Slovak died and was replaced with John Frusiante I thought it was still similar yet different which I liked and what was good was John wasn't trying to fully copy Hillel, he took inspiration from him and did his own thing as well which I liked.

If a new band is formed do you think of them as a knock off of the original or do you think that they've come into their own.

I feel Foo Fighters took inspiration from Nirvana but did their own thing which I appreciate, they're two different styles that are similar.

Manic Street Preachers have continued on without Richey Edwards and had several hits without him but they still take inspiration from him (their last album was made entirely from lyrics he left behind) The Doors carried on for a while without Jim Morrison but it sounded shit to me (they then broke up)

So what do you think???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back