Bad News Brown (1943-2007)

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
SLAM! Wrestling out of Canada is reporting that former WWF star Bad News Brown has passed away. Here is the article:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2007/03/06/3704792.html

Bad News Allen dies suddenly

Former Olympic judo bronze medalist Allen Coage -- better known to wrestling fans as Bad News Allen and Bad News Brown -- has died suddenly. He was 63.

Coage died early Tuesday morning in Calgary at Rockyview Hospital, having been rushed to the hospital, complaining of chest pains.

Three weeks ago, Coage underwent hip replacement surgery and had been making progress on his recovery. Monday night, he was home alone and called longtime friend Gerry Morrow, complaining of chest pains. Morrow got him to the hospital.

Coage broke into professional wrestling through the New Japan Pro Wrestling organization, training in Japan and spending the first few years after the 1976 Montreal Olympics in that country.

He was a star in the Calgary Stampede promotion as Bad News Allen, having bloody feuds with the likes of The Dynamite Kid, Archie 'The Stomper' Gouldie, Bret Hart and others.

In the WWF of the late 1980s, he was known as Bad News Brown, and feuded with Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper.

He had been working the last number of years as a security guard at a mall; "Teenagers are a pain in the ass. You always have to run them off," he said in July 2006. Apparently they didn't know who they were messing with. "It don’t matter to them, they're tough."

Coage is survived by his wife Helen and their children.

Date of birth
22 October 1943, New York City, New York, USA

Birth name
Allen James Coage

Height
6' 2" (1.88 m)

Mini biography

Allen J. Coage made history as the first African American to win a Judo Olympic medal Bronze at the 1976 Olympics and the second American to win a medal for the USA team. To date Allen Coage remains the only American Heaveyweight to win an Olympic medal in Judo. He also won a Gold medal for 1967 heaveyweight Judo in 1967 at the Pan American Games and another Gold Medal in the 1975 Pan American Games for Judo in the heavyweight division. Coage was also the first American to win a Gold medal in two consecutive Pan American Games.
IMDb mini-biography by: [email protected]

Spouse
Helen (8 April 1983 - present) 3 children

Trade mark

Finishing move: "The Ghettoblaster"

Trivia

Father of 9 children (3 boys and 6 girls).

Was the first person ever to refer to Hulk Hogan as Hollywood Hogan, a nickname for many years.

He arrived in the World Wrestling Federation in 1988 as Bad News Brown, and it was during this time that he would achieve his greatest notoriety. While the roster was mostly filled with ultra-virtuous good guys and cowardly and monster heels, Bad News was something entirely different; a tough loner who stood on his own and fought to his last breath. While booked as a heel, Bad News Brown was more a good and bad guy, and his character would become the template for later characters such as Stone Cold Steve Austin. Some memorable moments from his WWF tenure included winning the battle royal at WrestleMania IV, and attacking Jack Tunney on The Brother Love Show. he eventually left the WWF in 1990 due to, as he claims, Vince McMahon's failure to live up to his promises.

Where are they now

(2005) Bad News" Allen Coage and Rick Bogner now run a wrestling school out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

My first memory of Bad News Brown was at W.M. 4 when he last eliminated Bret Hart from a Battle Royal. Hart then went absolutley ape shit. It was the only highlight of the card.

Bad News Brown was the man. he was one of my favorites when i was younger...i always thought during the Monday Night Wars that WWF shouldve brought him in, he was the Attitude era long before it existed
another side note that hasnt been mentioned...does anybody remember when he fueded with Jake Roberts, he had this "sewer rat" ( actually a possum if i remember right) to counter Damien...plus i loved his GhettoBlaster finisher...just a stiff ass enziguri back in a day when you didnt see stuff like that

RIP

I never knew much about the guy but I knew he was a great athlete and wrestler in his time. He was a mentor to Edge when Edge was first training, and according to him, Brown was a really nice guy. Just another death to hit the wrestling world and it is a little sad to see how many guys are dying.

I know third in two month's. He was always over despite the fact he never really did much. I think the last time I saw him on T.V. was his match against Piper at Mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back