Austin Region, Portland Subregion, First Round: (15) Chris Benoit vs.(18) Sid Vicious

Who Wins This Match?

• Chris Benoit

• Sid Vicious

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Austin Region, Portland Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Moda Center in Portland, Oregon.

untitled-1_22.jpg

68f81485e7chris-benoit.jpg

#15. Chris Benoit

Vs.

20120625_raw_exclusive_sid.jpg

#18. Sid Vicious

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

One of the most overrated wrestlers ever vs one of the most underrated. Sid was an awesome heel, and somehow he was even a better talker than captain boring.

Vote for the guy who didn't murder his family.

When they met on the biggest stage, a ppv main event with the world title on the line, WCW put Benoit over despite knowing he was possibly right out the door. He left put over strong.

He also went on to win the WWE world title at Wrestlemania. That's the kind of spot Sid had previously been built up to lose.

There are plenty more interesting monsters in this tournament than Sid to vote for. And there are plenty of potentially interesting matches for Benoit after this one. Its hard to argue against this being a clear vote for Benoit.

Its hard to argue against this being a clear vote for Benoit.

I disagree that it's hard to argue against Chris Benoit. One of the performers in this voting poll on an internet message board murdered his wife and family; the other did not.

Vote for the guy in this poll who isn't a child killer.

Also, in before someone tries the moral equivalence argument.

If we're not going to use the criteria of Benoit's wrestling career to evaluate him in these matches, why include him in the tournament?

He's clearly not going to win or make a deep run. But he should be advancing through this first round matchup, as history already tells us that this is a matchup that Chris Benoit was tabbed to go over in for a world title.

There's no reason to add Benoit every year just to see him get eliminated by the same reason. We all know about what happened. We all know that it was wrong.

I'm going to vote for Benoit here. He had classic matches and he was a machine in the ring. I still get excited when I hear his entrance music. Diving headbutt and crossface are included in my favorite moves of all time as they're damn good. I don't remember him speaking on mic but I continue listening that Benoit wasn't good on mic. But for me, in-ring skills >> mic skills.

So, Benoit.

I'm going to be voting against Chris Benoit for wrestling reasons. Sid was consistently on top of whatever promotion he was in, Benoit was occasionally placed there in desperate times, and then went back down or out the door again. Chris Benoit, from a wrestling perspective at least, was a safe pair of hands, but a promotion full of Chris Benoits wouldn't get out of high school gyms.

Match history, title legacy, all around badass, points to Chris.

Sid is known for sweating, yelling and breaking his leg.

Until Benoit is removed for his personal choices, along with anyone else with a sketchy/tragic outside life, then we should vote on in ring merit. I wont yell at you for making the choice against Benoit, but if thats the case, I assume any straight edge or devout religious folks should kindly vote against anyone listed who fails the moral checklist.

Vote against Chris if you must, but dont make a hypocrite of yourself by ignoring the same criteria later on.

Sid was a great spectacle, who dorked up his chances of being the next Hulk Hogan or Bruiser Brody.

Chris sold tickets, captured the hearts of the fans and had the kind of big moments that few wrestlers ever have.

I don't think that anyone who votes for Chris forgives him for what he became, I think they recognize that Sid didn't have half the heart or popularity that Chris had.

Vote Chris Benoit.

I'm going to be voting for Sid, but rest assured that it has not a damn thing to do with Benoit's personal life and what he did.

Bottom line is that Sid, while not the best in the ring or on the mic, was a consistent top draw in wrestling during the early and mid 90s. Also, the type of performers that he beat were the Benoit type of performers. Like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. Yes Benoit could wrestle circles around Sid, but honestly, that's about all Benoit had on Sid. He was a bigger spectacle, draw, and name. Going by that, how could you not vote for Sid?

Vote Sid.

Vote against Chris if you must, but dont make a hypocrite of yourself by ignoring the same criteria later on.

I promise a consistent stand on voting against child killers.

For those of you arguing that out-of-ring factors should not influence how people are perceived as a professional wrestler, let us bear in mind that this is a scripted performance with the object of bringing in money. The WWE's stock nose-dived in the immediate aftermath of Chris Benoit murdering his wife and child.

Another thing Chris Benoit can be directly thankful is a strong revamp of the Wellness Policy, as well as the prohibition on moves targeting the head- including people's beloved chair shots to the face. If you find these to be good things (and in and of themself, they are), then you find yourself trying to argue the upside of a child murder.

Bottom line is that Sid, while not the best in the ring or on the mic, was a consistent top draw in wrestling during the early and mid 90s.
I don't think Sid was ever a top draw. He was a guy who promoters liked to build into big spots due to his look, but ultimately it was all to eventually put over other more talented guys. Sid didn't sell main events, his more popular and talented opponents did.
Also, the type of performers that he beat were the Benoit type of performers. Like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.
While Sid did have a very solid record against Bret(though most of his wins were by DQ or in gimmick matches), he was pretty much Shawn's bitch- only defeating him once, and losing to him on multiple occasions. Benoit on the other had a far better record against HBK and won multiple world title main events in which they shared the ring. He also has plenty of victories against guys like Flair, The Rock, Triple H, Cena, Angle, Eddy, Jericho, Edge, Orton etc. who were far bigger stars than Sid; as well as plenty of victories against Sid-like characters like Bigelow, Big Show, Batista, Kane, and Rhyno. Benoit has made Cena, Big Show, Kane, and Orton all tap out. No other man in the history of the business can make that claim about all of those competitors.
Yes Benoit could wrestle circles around Sid, but honestly, that's about all Benoit had on Sid.
That's all Benoit had on Sid, well aside from more PPV main event appearances, a wrestling observer Hall of Fame spot, a PWI wrestler of the year award and a number one ranking in their yearly PWI 500, arguably more overall championship success, far more high profile victories against a better list of opponents, a World title victory in the main event of WrestleMania(a main event spot Sid recieved and lost in twice), and a World Title victory against Sid himself. But you're right, aside from that, what does Benoit really have on Sid?

Going by that, how could you not vote for Sid?
Easily. Vote for Benoit.

I like Sid. He should be in the WWE HOF, but he probably jumped around a little to much for Vince's liking. He was a very good heel for any promotion he was in. Yeah, Benoit went over, but that was a desperate attempt to get Benoit to stick around.

The highlight of Benoit's career was winning a world title at Wrestlemania, as a bit player in the larger Shawn/Trips feud. He didn't even hold the title long before dropping it in lackluster fashion to Orton.

Sid may have fumbled a few words to hilarious effect a few times, but he was a bonifide main event star, something Benoit really never was.

Go with Sid.

I promise a consistent stand on voting against child killers.

For those of you arguing that out-of-ring factors should not influence how people are perceived as a professional wrestler, let us bear in mind that this is a scripted performance with the object of bringing in money. The WWE's stock nose-dived in the immediate aftermath of Chris Benoit murdering his wife and child.

Another thing Chris Benoit can be directly thankful is a strong revamp of the Wellness Policy, as well as the prohibition on moves targeting the head- including people's beloved chair shots to the face. If you find these to be good things (and in and of themself, they are), then you find yourself trying to argue the upside of a child murder.

While the impact of those outside actions do change business, they do not change what the person accomplished or how they wrestled. The statement wasnt really directed at you, more at the non level headed bunch who ignore the same terrible behavior when voting for others. Not going to open this can of worms further as this tends to devolve from a discussion about wrestling, to only being about one tragic day.

I'm going to be voting against Chris Benoit for wrestling reasons. Sid was consistently on top of whatever promotion he was in, Benoit was occasionally placed there in desperate times, and then went back down or out the door again. Chris Benoit, from a wrestling perspective at least, was a safe pair of hands, but a promotion full of Chris Benoits wouldn't get out of high school gyms.

My thoughts exactly, Tasty.

Sid was a good performer. Everything that Benoit excelled at Sid did too. Particularly his body language, which was a huge part of Benoit's charm. Sid may not have had Nash's charisma or Undertaker's athleticism, but he possessed a solid mixture of both. He could play the good or bad roles naturally, and was a popular main eventer for a much longer period of time than Benoit.

Benoit was a great hand. A solid mid carder. He just didn't have the right tools to be a top notch main eventer. Sid wasn't exactly top tier either, but he certainly excelled past anything Benoit did.

Vote Sid.

I'm not going to penalize Benoit for being better at murder than Sid. It's not his fault that Sid failed to get the job done.

Voting for Benoit because he was a better pro wrestler than Sid.

It's sad that Sid Vicious is remembered now for being a blundering dolt. He was a lot better on the microphone than Benoit ever was. He was also on top longer, and was featured much more prominently in respective promotions than Benoit was. Vicious had much more range of personality than Chris ever showed, too, and I like voting for the individual who had the better character.

Vote Vicious. He stays in character even when a guy with a bedazzled Stormtrooper helmet trips through his debut.

A big part of Benoit's legacy (to me at least) is his ability to out wrestle and out last his bigger opponent and wear them down enough to slap on that crossface and I don't see that changing here.

When you've beaten Triple H and HBK in the main event of one of the biggest Wrestlmanias of all time for the World Title then is it that much of a stretch to think he could Sycho Sid? Sid is exactly the kind of giant Benoit would be booked to go over.

Vote for Benoit.

This is easy. Benoit is one of the best ever while Sid was very overrated. He's apart of the worst Mania event in history.

This isn't about what they did outside the ring. Benoit the wrestler over Sid any day of the week.

At one point I dug Sid, but once I witnessed how good Benoit was, I was hooked. The way I see if, Chris could last in a 20-30 minute bout and still look good. Sid, not so much. And don't even get me started on the Benoit vs Kevin Sullivan wars.

Benoit all the way here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back