Austin Region, Portland Subregion, Second Round:(2)Shawn Michaels vs.(15)Chris Benoit

Who Wins This Match?

• Shawn Michaels

• Chris Benoit

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the Austin Region, Portland Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon.

moda-center-2.jpg

5c0319a593hbk.jpg

#2. Shawn Michaels

Vs.

Chris-Benoit-5-1.jpg

#15. Chris Benoit

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I feel that this match will be classic since both Chris Benoit and Shawn Michaels are very good in the ring.

I am favoring Chris Benoit here as a match between both has already happened and Benoit won that match via submission.

Vote Benoit since this match has already happened and we all know the outcome.

This match would be one for the ages, that's for sure.

I'm torn here. When it comes to accomplishments, success, and everything we judge professional wrestlers by, HBK has Benoit beat and it's not even close at all. The kayfabe argument, on the other hand, says different. These two have faced each other a number of times and a couple of those times was for the WHC. We all know that Benoit beat HHH and HBK at WrestleMania XX, but that was a Triple Threat Match. They've also faced each other on Raw, twice to my recalection, in 2004. One was leading up to WrestleMania XX and the other was after WrestleMania XX and was for the WHC. Triple H interfered in both of those matches. The one that was for the WHC HBK had Benoit down with Sweet Chin Music (correct me if I'm wrong), but the ref was down too. Allowing Trips to come in, Pedigree HBK, and giving Benoit the win. Now you could say that HBK had Benoit beat, but the ref was down and there would've been an excellent chance of Benoit kicking out by the time the ref started the 3 count.

That's why I'm torn. HBK is far and away the bigger and more successful wrestler of the two but every time they've faced each other when it counted most, Chris Benoit won. I'm not going to make my decision yet until I read some more arguments. Preferably arguments that aren't about voting for the non-murderer.

Benoit was probably my favorite wrestler ever. One of the few people who understood that was supposed to look real.

That said, he was never anywhere near the star Michaels was. Surefire classic match with Michaels getting the pin.

So let me make sure I've got this straight:

Benoit wins two triple threats and splits his singles matches with Shawn and that makes up for the vast difference in their entire careers? No.

Benoit, while great, is just not the performer Shawn was. Michaels had more classics, more World Titles, more time on top, was a better talker with more charisma and even main evented a pay per view when Benoit was World Champion. I really don't see a way around Shawn here, who had two careers, both of which were arguably better than Benoit's. Couple them together and there's just not much of an argument for Chris. Especially not "well he won two triple threats with Shawn involved."

I'd pay real money to see this match.

I have to agree with KB in that Benoit was great, but HBK's more successful career gives him the edge. HBK is someone that's synonymous with greatness and MIGHT arguably be the overall best pro wrestler to debut in my lifetime. HBK had more classic matches, classic feuds, classic moments, was hands down the more charismatic & personality driven.

It wouldn't bother me to see Benoit go over here but I see HBK as someone who ultimately comes out 7 or 8 times out of 10 going up against Benoit. HBK also had the stronger career, so I can't really see myself going against him here.

While it's true that Benoit has a decent record against Michaels, all of those wins came within one year of each other, and that was undoubtedly Benoit's hottest and best year of his entire career. WWE seemed like they were going all-in with him and Michaels, already a legend at this point, was basically used to get Benoit over as an incredibly big deal. Choose any year but 04 and Michaels likely goes over 9/10 times, especially if we're talking about the 96-97 Michaels and not the guy who basically came back to play the resident legend.

Michaels is just the better all-around performer. More charisma, more popular, more impactful, and just as good in the ring as Benoit was, albeit in a different way. For years Benoit sniffed the main event but could never really get there until he did. And than he dropped down the card within a year. Michaels as a main event player was almost a given. Once he cemented himself as the co-face of the company in the mid-90s his status was never in question, not even when he came back for his second stint.

Michaels, one of the greatest of all time, should win this one.

Benoit beat Shawn while Benoit was on a hot streak and Shawn was on a nostalgia tour. That kind of argument would work if these two worked together while they were in their primes.

Shawn at his best could beat Benoit at his best, and he would have had the crowd firmly on his side.

Vote Shawn.

The basics have already been covered...

Benoit was a good performer. Shawn was better. Benoit won some championships. Shawn accomplished more. Benoit drew some money. Shawn drew more. Benoit won a Royal Rumble. Shawn won 2.

Seriously, Shawn had everything over Chris Benoit. Even comparing Shawn's career in the mid 90's to Benoit's in the early 00's, Shawn would still be superior.

Classic match, either on a RAW or PPV, but in the end Shawn would win.

Shawn wins as a result of a screwjob.

Given who and what beniot is, it makes sense... Esp with the hart tie.

Both men are/were gigantic pieces of shit. Only one of them killed their family, though.

Oh, also Shawn was better in every way, shape, and form. Better worker, better talker (that's how you KNOW you suck at something. Shawn's promos are the Mendoza line), and better draw.

Vote Shawn because he's better. Also because he didn't kill his family.

Since this is to determine who would win a match, and Benoit has beaten Shawn IRL, this should be easy math. Except for everyone ignoring that fact because, you know, murder and all.

When Lesnar finally goes crazy and kills someone, do we throw out his wins too?

Again, if the man's career merits entry into this shindig- his wins against opponents he is facing should count. If people are going to ignore otherwise completely logical arguments based on facts, then keep Benoit out. Otherwise he will never have a shot, especially when the cards are in his favor & all anyone can type is "Yeah, but murderer."

Benoit should win this one, because it has happened before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back