Austin Aries Heel Turn: Yes Or No?

Should Aries Go Heel?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
This past Thursday on IW, I believe we saw the initial steps of Austin Aries turning heel. For their match at BFG, TNA seems to be going the route of having Aries having the attitude of "I want what you've got" in terms of career success and accolades to build tension between the two. TNA also seems to be going down the route of having Aries come off as someone with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. His proclamation that he intended kind of one up Hardy, beginning with his match against Bully Ray last Friday, and then losing the match only to be saved by Hardy seems designed to only make that chip even bigger.

While it's true that Aries probably isn't 100% babyface, he's certainly not been a heel for several months. While I don't think they've really given Aries nearly enough time to flesh himself out as a babyface, and despite that he's getting a positive reaction, I think it's the better move to turn him heel right now. Aries' feud with Hardy needs some heat that TNA has to seriously build over the next few weeks. Aries has the personality to pull off this sort of heel character and Jeff Hardy doesn't. On top of that, Hardy is TNA's John Cena when it comes to merchendise. They make much more money from Hardy merchendise than anyone else on the roster, so they're not turning him anytime soon.

As I said, I think it seems too soon for Aries to go back to being a heel. But, given the circumstances, I can understand why. We've all heard the rumors about Hardy possibly heading back to WWE once his TNA contract expires next year for one more "big money run" with the company. We've also heard rumors that this isn't true and that Hardy hasn't lost any money due to his legal troubles. Regardless of whether any of these stories has any truth to them, the one aspect that does seem accurate beyond any doubt is Hardy's contract expiring. He's in the main event at BFG, which I think he'll win, and is back in the main event picture as a whole as part of a push designed to keep Hardy from possibly straying once his contract is close to running out. TNA wants to keep Hardy, which means that they're going to do what they have to do in order to keep him happy.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I've always suspected that Aries' TNA WHC reign would be relatively short. It's just a feeling that I've had, partially with his run beginning not too far off from BFG. I've enjoyed Aries more as a straight up heel than as a face and while I have little doubt he can do both roles quite well, I think TNA wants a solid hero and a solid villain for their BFG main event and the villain is going to be Aries.

Do you think TNA should turn Austin Aries heel again?

Well turning Hardy heel would be asinine because they've built up this redemtion storyline pretty much for a year, I highly doubt they'd squander that feel good moment by turning him heel.

But Aries does seem poised to turn heel. Whether that be full blown heel or just the 'anything it takes to show he can do it' heel is up for debate. Aries can do heel well (pretty much last year that's what he was doing)

But I see this more along the lines of Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker. Michaels wasn't heel, but he acted like one just so he could face Undetaker again. I see Aries doing something similar just to show that he can hang with Hardy.

Aries Promos seem lackluster as a face and I think much like Punk certain talent just perform better as a heel especially through their promos. You can't turn Hardy heel at BFG been there and ended in disaster from a creative standpoint. If JJ is the leader of A&8's you need a star of the company to either be in the main event picture or the actual champion. Aries as a heel is the right direction and should stay heel for a while seeing he feels more comfortable as a heel throughout his career

Well turning Hardy heel would be asinine because they've built up this redemtion storyline pretty much for a year, I highly doubt they'd squander that feel good moment by turning him heel.

But Aries does seem poised to turn heel. Whether that be full blown heel or just the 'anything it takes to show he can do it' heel is up for debate. Aries can do heel well (pretty much last year that's what he was doing)

But I see this more along the lines of Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker. Michaels wasn't heel, but he acted like one just so he could face Undetaker again. I see Aries doing something similar just to show that he can hang with Hardy.

I agree with this. I do smell a swerve on the horizon at BFG, but Aries could be the heel in this match. Yet I don't think he will be a heel past BFG for long. We'll see though.

I think Aries is much better as a heel. Honestly, I'm surprised that his run with the title has lasted as long as it has, pleasantly so...but the only real heels are Roode & Bully Ray, and Ray hasn't been presented as a credible title threat, so I'd say go ahead with Aries. Hardy can't talk...has he said anything in the last couple of weeks? And is their main merch seller...RVD can't talk, and is not really capable of being an effective heel...AJ, Angle, Storm, all faces. I don't see anyone from Aces and Eights emerging as a credible heel threat. I suppose you could turn Anderson again, but he's been thankfully de-emphasized of late. Joe could go face or heel...what is he now?

The point being, Aries is best as a heel, and TNA has a lot more faces now, so go ahead and turn him, I think it's what would work best in the long run, if not the short term.

I think they are going for the feel good moment at BFG where hardy overcomes everything to win the title. I think making Aries heel will just add to that. Honestly I like Aries better as a heel. I compare him to Punk in that they are better when they have that heel edginess to them. Although Aries is a good face to, I think this match is going to get set up as face vs heel with Hardy being triumphant. I am looking forward to this feud even more now with the strong possibility of an Aries turn.

It would make sense to turn Austin Aries heel over Hardy. Aries can play the arrogant heel that he always was or a more aggressive heel, if TNA would allow it. That's what we need - a violent, intense heel that really brings misery and pain into the babyface. TNA doesn't have any right now but try it with Austin.

The comparison to Shawn Micheals vs The Undertaker is probably a pretty accurate assumption for the Austin Aries vs Jeff Hardy match at Bound For Glory. This past weeks Impact got me thinking that they are leaning towards Aries being a heel character.

However as mentioned in a previous reply, Austin Aries is a way better heel then face. His face run has gave us good matches with him facing Bobby Roode and Bully Ray. It has brought him his first World Championship in TNA and it has helped him become the face of the Company. But in the long run I just don't see him being the top face of TNA. Someone like James Storm, Jeff Hardy(see his last heel run),obviously AJ Styles are more likely the top faces for TNA.

Austin Aries much like Triple H are simply better being the Heel. They're better at drawing heat on the mic then they are at face promos. Their attitude, tactics, and so fourth are way better. I think that eventually TNA would be smart to turn Aries into a full fledged heel. Just my opinion.

My question is would Hardy then be the number one face of the company?? While yes he is selling more merchandise than anyone else currently, I just can't imagine him doing any sort of television promos promoting BFG or any other big event. Try picturing Jeff Hardy on the tonight show with Jay Leno or Live with Kelly and Michael. His mic skills as a face have always been lackluster at best (then again the only time I was even a fan of Hardys work was right after he joined Immortal and would cut those brief screen promos as I felt they were brilliant). With that said he IS their number one merchandise seller to the kiddies so turning him heel isn't really in the best interest of TNA at the moment either.

I've always felt AJ Styles should be the centerpiece of TNA as he has been "Mr. TNA" since its inception 10 years ago. However with him seemingly having more interest in Daniels than Aces'n'8's it's hard to see him any longer being the centerpiece of the company.

I would love to say James Storm since last year I kept preaching on this very forum how he could be TNAs version of SCSA but he just hasn't delivered the way I thought he would. With all of that said, Aries should NOT turn heel.

Try picturing Jeff Hardy on the tonight show with Jay Leno or Live with Kelly and Michael.

Has any TNA World Champion - or TNA wrestler or TNA manager or TNA... golf caddy for that matter - appeared on Leno or anything akin to it? Genuine question. I don't think being the face of TNA is quite the same as being the face of WWE. Fewer late night talk shows, fewer tributes to the troops, even fewer Make A Wish appointments. The only magazine covers you're likely to make are Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Fighting Spirit or Power Slam. You're definitely not getting your own ice cream bar.

That aside, Jeff Hardy should stay babyface; that much is clear. Jeff sells merchandise, Jeff sells pay-per-views and, perhaps most importantly of all, Jeff gets a big fat pop. In fact, dare I say it, Jeff gets the biggest, fattest pop.

I love Austin Aries. I adore Austin Aries. I go to bed and have dreams about brainbusters, suicide dives and well sculpted facial hair. Aries will always be a babyface to me (despite, you know, the beard). But Austin Aries just cannot hope to compete with Jeff Hardy in the popularity stakes. Aries is number two - and what does number two do? He gets angry because he's not number one. The wheels are already in motion.

It seems the seed were planted on the last Impact to turn on jeff. let's face it, there IS something very unlikeable about him, he comes across as arrogant. Not in a cool / cocky RVD in ECW 1997 kind of way - but in a jobs worth kind of way. The problem he has is, because he is so small - if a face starts beating on him - it will only get him sympathy. Smaller guys are better as faces for that reason.

Not yet.

Aries will be a tremendous heel again, no doubt about it, but he's still hot as a babyface. Now one could argue that the most suitable time for a heel turn would be when you're hot as a babyface and I can't disagree. Very true. But for me, as a viewer, I want Aries to keep the face attitude for a little longer. I just don't think we've seen everything he has to offer as a good guy. Let it die down a little, let it simmer down and get stale and then initiate a heel turn. Now's not the time.

But as other people have already mentioned, I think he'll turn the edge up a bit for this match with Hardy (IF Jeff makes it to Bound for Glory. I'm holding tight to my theory that Bully will replace him somehow). Aries is on the verge of a heel turn all the time anyway. He called his fans sheep last time. But at least he knows how to balance it and use that fine line to his advantage, thus make himself cool. Unlike other people.

8pose_sm.jpg

Raise your hand if you completely forgot he was on the roster. What a waste of money and hype.

Last time Double A was a heel everyone cheered for him and I think they felt they had no choice but to turn him face, this is the exact same thing that happened to the Rock and is what made him the star of the company, the fans turned the Rock face when he was suppose to remain a heel.. They absolutely loved him..

In a way, I see the same thing happening to Double A, even if he does turn heel.. (I loved his heel character) I think he is going to still be over with the fans..

Why? It's a very interesting story about Austin seemingly unable to match Jeff Hardy. He doesn't need the heel turn. At least leading into Bound For Glory he doesn't. It would derail the ongoing story and what potential it can play out. Not to mention Aries isn't exactly a guy who's easy to hate right now.

There is really only one story that I am in favor of turning Aries heel for and that would be some sort of indy takeover. Otherwise I don't see the point right now. If you turn Aries heel then he and Roode are going to overlap too much unless the story is really good. I like that TNA is trying to do with Aries what I have no idea why WWE isn't trying to do with DBD.

There is really only one story that I am in favor of turning Aries heel for and that would be some sort of indy takeover. Otherwise I don't see the point right now. If you turn Aries heel then he and Roode are going to overlap too much unless the story is really good. I like that TNA is trying to do with Aries what I have no idea why WWE isn't trying to do with DBD.

That is the last thing a company the size of TNA needs in its current position. It is doing well growing. Besides, the Aces and 8's thing is a take over.

I am going to go ahead and say no. Althought Aries is very good in the heel role, to my knowledge he just turned face not too long ago. I am not a huge fan of constant character turns because IMO it leads to (i hate to stay it) being stale. Now if it came down to something like teasing a turn i'd be fine with that. So far I am enjoying Aries in his current role, he still has that arrogant air about him while still retaining his fan favorite status.

Now that i'm thinking about it the only way I would like to see him go heel would be against Bobby Roode in some sort of double turn, which ain't gunna happen.

When did he ever turn face? The Austin Aries character doesn't pander to the crowd. He is a smart ass all the time. The crowd cheers him. Not because he plays a good face, but because he is just that damn good.

He reminds me of Scott Hall/Razor Ramone. He just has this swagger about him that will get people to like him regardless of him being a heel.

I say yes, but with the week amount of faces, it isnt a good move he would only have what James Storm Jeff Hardy? Heels you got Roode, Ray, Magnus and more...

I will say that Austin's best work is as a heel but he just cant right now.... i guess if Agle gets taken out of the tag role you may have more people to fight Aries, but short answer Yes and No in a way i guess :/

I think Aries should be a heel. what I would like to see happen is for Aries to lose the title at BFG and then on the next Impact come out all pissed off and full on heel.
I think 2 things should happen either at BFG or in the coming time. 1- Aries should be heel. 2- Aries should lose the title. IMO he has been a boring champion.
Hardy would be a better champion, he is much better known world wide, well popular in TNA. more marketable. better story with everything he has gone through just in TNA with what happened at Victory Road and to come back and remain clean. it's a good story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back