Assemble a dream line up

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
Imagine you could hand pick a line up of musicians to creat music together, regardless of their differences in style, time period, personalities ect. You can have a vocalist, guitarist, bassist, and drummer. If you wanna go all out, give your band a keyboardist, back up vocalist, cowbellist (even though Will Ferrel is the unanimous pick,) hell, even name your band if you wish. Who cares if their styles clash; ignore this for the purpose of the thread. Assemble your dream line up.

My dream line-up would be as follows:

Vocalist - Kurt Cobain

kurtcobain.jpg

I'm gonna take the guitar out of his hand. Not for lack of ability because he's quite incredible, but for the purpose of this thread. Can't pass up on having his famous, raspy screams in my line up.

sample
[YOUTUBE]5ZaWMaN6Wdc[/YOUTUBE]

Guitarist - Johnny Greenwood

2ee06769.jpg

The absolute killer guitarist, Johnny Greenwood, is getting the nod as guitarist here. He is essential member number 1b to Radiohead's iconic sound and is one of the great musical talents in the industry.

sample
[YOUTUBE]g9l1K7uGaLk[/YOUTUBE]

Bassist - Les Claypool

images

Having Les Claypool play bass for this line up is invaluable. Taking the microphone away from him letting him groove to the lead of Greenwood and Cobain.

sample
[YOUTUBE]w_8NtbKsYuA[/YOUTUBE]

Drummer - Danny Carey

danny_carey.jpg

Danny Carey doesn't disappoint on a single track he's on. Needless to say, he's in my dream line up.

sample
[YOUTUBE]y9jterQXmDM[/YOUTUBE]

Robb flynn- Vocals and rythum guitar

I think Robb flynn is on par with anyone today in gutteral singing. And might be one of the best clean vocal singers today in the metal genre. I also think his guitar playing would fit rather well with this man on lead guitar.

Dimebag darell- Lead guitar.

I'm trying to put together a band that could shred and have a huge image. Well the hard part is trying to find people together that in my mind could work well together. Dime and Flynn started around the same time, in music. Are oldschool kind of guys. I think they would work great together as leaders of the band.

Jack Strong- Bass guitar

For the people who don't know this guy, he is the bass guitarist from the Acacia strain. I'm trying to make a heavy ass band. Outside of Canibal corpse, what is the heaviest shit going today? Im my mind, Deathcore. Some bands are just so fucking heavy it's crazy. I think Jack's heavy playing can add a real nice element with the drummer I'm picking.

Chris Adler- Drums

A man that in my mind has gone from a great drummer. To someone that in 25-50 years that will be talked about. I think he can add a great dynamic to Dime and Flyn, but I chose him to mesh with Jack strong more than anything. Dime and Robb can get heavy. But if you want a brutal band your drums and bass have to mesh.

All in all, u said to make your dream line up. Well this is my dream line up. You can have huge names, like Lemmy, slash, and more all on a show. But I want to see a group of guys that could come together a play a show that would blow me away.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death/Control Denied) - Lead Guitar. In my opinion one of the best guitarists ever. His witting was always very forward thinking for the time and had a profound effect on death metal.

Michael Poulsen (Volbeat) - Rhythm Guitar/Vocals. I absolutely love Volbeat. I think Poulsen has a very unique vocal style and can write brilliant songs and he's got a great stage presence.

Cliff Burton (Metallica) - Bass, because it's Cliff Burton

Jerod Boyd (Miss May I) - Drums. When I first heard Miss May I the drumming really stood out, there are just tiny little things that you can hear in his drumming that make the song complete. He's not the most technically proficient drummers, but he does what is needed to improve the song.

Oooh, fun thread.

Vocals:
tumblr_m09l9kR9rC1qhx3fzo1_400.png

Ben Burnley (Breaking Benjamin) has some of the greatest rock/grunge vocals I have ever heard, my favorite vocals of his coming from the acoustic version of "So Cold." Easy pick.

Guitar:
200px-Jimi_Hendrix_1967.png

Hendrix was, is, and always will be, THE best guitarist, EVER. Best guitar riffs of his comes from "Voodoo Child."

Bass:
220px-Paul_McCartney_black_and_white_2010.jpg

Paul McCartney (Beatles) is one of the greatest bassists ever, and has great back-up vocals (such as in Michael Jackson's "The Girl is Mine") to boot, and he would suit Ben well.

Drums:
JustinFoley-460-100-460-70.jpg

Justin Foley (Killswitch Engage) has some of the best drum solos I've ever heard, my favorite being in the 2nd verse of "Daylight Dies."

Yes, all of these guys are jumbled up, but that's the point- I have a various taste in music, and these 4 men, being IMO the best musicians of their fields, EVER, coming together would be a dream come true. I'd die just listening to it.

I ended up making one ages ago using deceased musicans (a bit morbid I know, but it works)

cards2.jpg

I made what I'd call a dream metal line up.

Vocals-Layne Staley

I don't care what people say Alice In Chains were a metal band and Layne Staley was a metal singer. He had great range and could convey emotion brilliantly. He also had range. He could do screams, snarls and great melodies. Alice In Chains more melodic stuff as well as the songs from Mad Season (the band he was in with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready) shows how much of a vocal range he had.

Guitar-Randy Rhoads

The guy was a brilliant guitarist, only doing four albums in his entire lifetime and people class him as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. His classical influences show he could blend styles brilliantly.

Guitar-Dimebag Darrell

The guy could write brilliant riffs which would allow Rhoads to lay something over the top of it, allowing them to compliment each other brilliantly. They could also write some awesome solos together.

Bass-Cliff Burton

The guy was a beast on bass, many people think some of his bass parts are actually guitar, they guy knew how to use effects and like Rhoads had classical influences (it was his idea of an orchestra that got Metallica to do S&M)

Drums-The Rev

Say what you want about Avenged Sevenfold but The Rev was a great drummer. His drum solos were good and he just had a good sense of rhythm.

tumblr_m45nskc5gU1qzzzg3o1_1280.jpg

Claudio Sanchez- Coheed and Cambria, Prize Fighter Inferno

Fantastic vocal range and can shred with the best of them. He has shown to have a nice balance of melody and power. Great frontman who brings the power of the guitar solo back to glory. His work with Coheed has turned out some of the best music I have heard and his creativity has seemingly limitless potential.

1005059-a-perfect-circle-617-409.jpg

Billy Howerdel- A Perfect Circle, Ashes Divide

He has the atmospheric chops to create eerie melodies and can shake the walls when he decides to get down and dirty. Howerdel helped spawn one of the most succesful side projects ever with Maynard (APC) and he is great at what he does. He has absorbed things from being a tech for everyone from Bowie to NIN and evolved into a style that is simply unique.

deftones_chicheng_082006_3.jpg

Chi Cheng- Deftones

If you are a fan of music, I dont really have to say much. Chi speaks volumes enough for himself. Simply a bad ass.

danny-carey-9.jpg

Danny Carey- Tool

Progressive, Hard Rock, Jazz... this guy can do it all and anything in between. His drum kit is simply filled with many assorted gems and he knows how to get the best out of it all. His time with TOOL has shown us a wide range of talent and he is easily one of the best drummers ever to pick up the sticks.

This sounds like a fun thread! Okay, here are my picks:

Drums: David Grohl (Scream, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, too many others to mention)

Dave has played drums with so many artists over the years, it's hard to pin down my favorite time period of his drumming. I'd probably have to go with his drumming on Foo Fighter's "The Colour and the Shape", I just love the drums on that album. Okay, I know that William Goldsmith played on 1.5 tracks on that album, but it doesn't really count. As far as I'm concerned, Dave played drums on that record.

Dave wasn't the best drummer in the world, he could just hit the drums hard back in his days with DC powerhouse Scream. He became so solid because of all the touring he did, and today he is by FAR my favorite drummer that's still playing (even though we're more likely to see him with a guitar these days).

Bass Guitar: Colin Greenwood (Radiohead)
This was a hard decision for me, but I ended up going with my man Colin. Nate Mendel (from Foo Fighters, and the original Sunny Day Real Estate bassist) was a close second, as these two are my all-time favorite bass players.

Neither one of these guys does anything like Les Claypool or Flea (or Burton) does on the bass; they don't try to make the bass guitar a lead instrument. They do their thing in the background, and you don't realize their genius on the instrument until you start paying attention to what they're playing. Their bass lines are complicated, yet understated. Either one of these guys would be a perfect fit for my dream lineup, they're both just incredible on the bass.

Keyboards/Guitar: Travis Morrison (Dismemberment Plan)
Another overlooked band, The Dismemberment Plan is amazing. Travis is known mostly in the band as rhythm guitar and lead vocals, but in this band I'd relegate him mostly to keys. I absolutely love what he does with that thing, and he would be an amazing "everything" man to add to this band. He would also be able to play guitar when needed, although I'd stick him with keys most of the time.

Rhythm Guitar: Izzy Stradlin (Guns n' Roses)
Izzy was so underrated in GnR, and how could you not be when standing next to a guy like Slash? It's my personal opinion that the reason GnR fell apart when they did is because they didn't have Izzy around anymore to write all the great songs he wrote. Many people don't give the guy enough credit, he's also just an amazing rhythm guitarist (as well as a song writer).

Lead Guitar: Greg Edwards (Failure)
Failure was known as a "space rock" type band, and Greg could be classified as a "noise" guitarist. He used a lot of effects with Failure, but could also solo with the best of them. I think a versatile player like Edwards would fit perfectly with Colin's bass work, and just add another element to the group.

Vocals: Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer)
Okay, he might be a bit obvious for a lead vocalist, but I love the sound of his voice. His voice is so versatile, and he sings in my favorite style - which just sounds angry and sad. Personally, I wasn't the biggest fan of his until I got into A Perfect Circle. I liked Tool, but never really got into them like I did APC. Tool is amazing, don't get me wrong...they just don't "do it" for me like APC does.

Morrison, Grohl and Izzy would be able to take care of all the background vocals/harmonies. All four of these guys being able to sing helps the group even more. Man, I'd give up a few fingers to see this band actually form and write music! lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back