Ascension 118 - GR 2 - Tony Mancini versus Constantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Constantine is the favourite to win the Gold Rush tournament. This week he faces off against Tony Mancini. The question on everyone’s mind is can Mancini shock the world? It would be the biggest upset of the tournament and one of the biggest of all time. These two wrestled in a tag match at Kingdom Come VIII when Constantine was still the leader of Vis Imperium. Can Constantine continue his winning ways when he doesn’t have a group supporting him? Announced last week, this will be the final year of Constantine’s career so this will be the final chance he has to win the Gold Rush tournament. Can Mancini put a stop to those dreams and undo the wrong that occurred at Kingdom Come?

Deadline for RP submissions is Tuesday the 13th of June at 23:59PM.

Extensions are available on request.

"He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion."
-Proverbs 28:13

Years ago...​

It was a oddly cold and damp day in St Louis, Missouri.

In the kitchen of the Constantine manor, a young boy by the name of John sat playing with the raindrops on the window. Concentrating hard, he traced his finger down the glass as each rain drop fell to the bottom of the pane. As each one reached it's end, he simply raised his head and his finger, selected another rain drop to follow, and did the same again.

Working behind him busily, his mother paid him no attention. Hastily preparing a meal for incoming visitors, she looked flushed, unsettled and a little unkempt. Constantine turned his head to his mother and watched her race from station to station, wondering in his mind what the fuss could be about.

DING! DONG!

Suddenly, he didn't have to wonder no more.

With the ringing of the doorbell, the expression on Constantine's mother's face dropped significantly. She hurried over to her soon, bent at the knee and fixed his little three piece suit. She wet her thumb with her tongue and ran it across his cheek. Constantine reluctantly accepted the nurturing from his mother but could forget the look on her face as she rose again. Suddenly, his 1father burst into the room. The look of worry on his face spoke volumes for the urgency of the situation. He stared a traumatised hole through his wife before turning on his heels and making his way towards the front door – his voice carrying down the empty halls and into the kitchen.

Alexander: Ah, Don Vincenzo! What a wonderful honour to welcome you to my humble home. Please, come in out of this horrendous weather.

Soon, the sound of multiple footsteps could be heard coming up the hall. The silence, however, was deafening. Without warning, Constantine's mother bent at the knee again. Looking deep into the eyes of her son, the worry on her face was clear to see.

Martha: Stay quiet, John. No matter what anyone says to you, and I mean anyone, you just stay quiet, Do you hear me?

Constantine's eyes fleeted between the eyes of his mother and the open door some way across the floor from their position – knowing at any moment that they would be alone no longer. His mother shook his shoulders, summoning his attention as she continued staring through him.

Martha: Do you hear me, John?!

Constantine nodded his head – an action that brought the faintest of smiles to the face of his mother. Nodding her head and taking a relieved breath in, she got to her feet as her husband made his way round the frame of the door and into the kitchen. He sported the look of someone who was absolutely terrified but who was too afraid to show it. Constantine had never seen that look before. And he would never see it again until 3 months later when his father was dying from a gun shot wound to the stomach.

* * *​

Later that evening...​

Constantine hated pasta with a passion. He always had and always wound as it turned out. In truth, his mother and father never actually made a meal for guests, or for him, but tonight was different. It wasn't about what John wanted. Far from it, in fact. No, it was quite clear from the off that this meeting was about something far more serious than having dinner. And, perhaps, something far more sinister.

He sat at the table like a good kid, his hands resting on his lap as he looked around the dining room. To his right, his mother sat nursing a phony smile. To his left, his father sat reciprocating. Across from him though, were two men that Constantine had never seen before. One man sat with a beautiful fur coat draped over his shoulders. Constantine was very taken by the presence the old man had. His hair had started to recede back on his scalp and the many fine rings on his fingers told a story of wealth and unerring respect for him.

The man directly across from John was a much younger man, cocky and brash throughout the meeting. He was finely dressed but not to the extent of the older man. He made comments about everything, sometime just for the sake of talking, Constantine had thought.

The conversation had not flowed well all evening but it had been initially light hearted. The younger man, known as Sal, had constantly remarked on how well-presented the Constantine manor was. He had thanked John's parents for their kindness in bringing them into their home multiple times. And, rather oddly, he had continually complimented Martha Constantine on her looks. It didn't mean a lot young John. But the wincing pain behind his mother's facade told him everything he needed to know about how she felt about the two men she had welcomed into her home.

Sal: You know, Martha, this really is a lovely home that you have.

He turned his head to Martha, sitting upright in her chair and looking straight down the table towards her husband.

Sal: Nice things, nice food... You really got it good up in the suburbs.

The tone of Sal's voice seemed rather genuine as he flitted his eyes between Alexander and Martha. Both of Constantine's parents, however, seemed oddly quiet. The smile quickly faded from the face of the young man as the deafening silence consumed the room. Constantine noticed the young man look towards the older man for assurances before slowly rising from the table. Constantine hadn't noticed just how tall the young man was, or how burly he was under his suit. But as he rose out of his chair, Constantine was terrified. Sal removed his jacket and folded it over the back of his chair before turning back to the table. Suddenly, he picked up his plate and tossed it onto the nearby wall, smashing it into hundreds of pieces and commanding the attention of the room. Rather surprisingly, no one apart from the young Power Trip moved.

Sal: Here's me thinking that this has been a good night. Here's me thinking that we can all be friends here tonight and that we could come to some arrangement going forward your honour.

Sal looked right at Alexander Constantine as he referenced his job role. Constantine's father didn't move from his chair as Sal began rolling up his sleeves. In the corner of Constantine's mother's eyes, tears began to form. But her stoic facade did not change. Instead, the tear began rolling down her cheek and onto the corner of her smiling mouth.

Sal: But here we are, the inevitable crescendo!

With that, Sal raised his hands to the roof in a preying motion. He looked skywards and as he lowered his head, a smile began to form on his face – Almost as if he had been waiting for this to happen all night. Almost as if he had fabricated this situation out of necessity and nothing more. In the crushing silence, Sal began moving around the table until he stopped behind John. He put his hands on the young man's shoulders and leaned in towards him. As Sal leaned in, Constantine looked across the table at the older man – who was in the process of wiping his mouth nonchalantly with his napkin. Suddenly, a whisper came in the ear of the young man.

Sal: Little man, you are not going to like what happens to your parents next...

A few days ago...

Constantine sat alone in the study of the house that his mother and father had gifted to him when they had passed away. On another rainy night, Constantine watched the rain hit the window and fall to the ground – making tracks on the glass that mesmerised him. In the tranquillity, Constantine thought about that night and how it had affected him. Without warning, his peace was ended when Mia stepped into the room behind him. Walking across the floor and throwing a piece of paper down onto the table, Mia stood over Constantine with a concerned look on her face. The Power Trip slowly sat up in his chair and picked up the paper that was thrown at him. Scanning the item, Constantine knew what was coming.

Mia: Mancini? They've given you Mancini in the second round?

Constantine: Seems that way...

Mia: And you're not concerned by that in the slightest?

Constantine offers Mia a shrug as repayment for her obvious concern, turning away from her and back towards the window. Tutting loudly and moving around Constantine, Mia stands in his way one more time – looking down at him with a look of deep concern now moving across her features.

Mia: You know that this guy is a gangster right? And guess what, John? You've also let the world know that you have an injury to exploit. You were lucky to make it through against Vox but Mancini is a whole other kettle of fish. I mean, Christ, what were you thinking?!

Constantine: You know something, Mia? I thought that when I announced I was leaving WZCW that I would be sad about leaving everything behind. I thought for sure that I would be counting the days that I have left and feeling like a man with time running out...

Constantine's words trail off for a moment as he watched the rain trickle down the glass once more, finding serenity and peace in the silence.

Constantine: But I actually feel so free of all of the weight that has been holding me down for so long. I'm tired, Mia. I'm tired of worrying about where the next hit is going to come from. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder and wondering when the next attack is going to come. But most of all, I'm tired of pretending that I didn't make a living in a house of cards.

Mia studies Constantine as his words fade off into the evening air once again. Finding her voice and her temper again though, she is soon back on the offensive.

Mia: You have to realise that you're a father now, John. It's not about you finding your inner peace in your final few months as a professional wrestler. It's about you being able to come home every night without a banged up body and being able to put your daughter to bed! Please take this seriously!

Suddenly, Constantine sat up in his chair – locking eyes with his fiancé with a furious look upon his face.

Constantine: Taking this seriously?! You sincerely think that I am looking past this man, Mia?

The Power Trip waits for an answer but Mia knows that she may have overstepped the line. She backs away from Constantine as he slowly rises from his chair.

Constantine: This man, Mia, is everything I have hated in this world since I was old enough to figure it out. One night, two men just like Tony Mancini came to this house. They acted as though they were friends of my family – eating with us and complimenting us on all the finer things that we had. I was a young boy at the time but I soon figured out what was happening.

Constantine stops as the emotion of the events that took place that night came flooding back to him.

Constantine: You see, my father was a judge on the circuit court. He had done some pretty horrible things to get to that position and there were people out there who used that truth to keep him in their pocket. They had gotten him to the position that he always wanted to be in but as soon as he got their, he realised that he had inherited a poison chalice. He had initially set out to help people but, thanks to his dirty alliances, he found himself being dragged deeper and deeper into the dirt.

Mia: I'm sorry, John. I had no idea...

Mia's apology falls on deaf ears as Constantine begins pacing slowly from side to side.

Constantine: They used his power and position to make sure that everything went his way! I remember thinking to myself 'how could it be that he was the law-maker and that people could control him like that'. It wasn't until I was older that I realised how much he owed them. But when he stopped towing the line, it was time for him to pay the price.

Without warning, a defeated Constantine slumped back into his chair.

Constantine: I think about that night sometimes and how my father and mother had probably thought that they could iron out some sort of deal. They probably naively thought that they could wine and dine the Don so that he would forget everything he had done for my father and the debt that he was due. And probably for a while that night, maybe they believed it would work...

Constantine stops.

Constantine: But there is no changing things, Mia. You either are or you aren't. You either do or you don't. And that is why I am not looking past Tony Mancini and the prospect of taking Vis Imperium down in the later rounds of this tournament. Because I know what people like Tony Mancini are like. They are not the type of mob bosses you see on TV. They are the sort of people who would sit with you to eat a meal, whilst thinking about how they are going to sink their claws deeper into your skin; pulling you down deeper into the mire with them.

Finally, The Power Trip looks up at Mia with tears in his eyes.

Constantine: Tony Mancini's father act does not fool me, Mia. And nor should it fool you. The things I seen that night as my mother was beaten in front of me will haunt me forever. True to the promise I made to my mother, I didn't say a single word that night. But the time for retribution is now, Mia. Tony Mancini will soon learn that actions speak louder than words!

With that, Constantine lowers his chin and wraps his hands around his head. Mia slowly walks over to him and sits on the arm of the chair. She puts her arms around him and pulls him close, feeling the pain of her fiancée and the storm that brews within.

Philippians 4:13 (MacArthur Study Bible NASB) said:
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me
The camera turns on and we see Tony listening to a voicemail someone left on his phone. It's loud enough for the microphone on the camera to pick it up.

voicemail: Mr. Mancini this is Helen at WZCW headquarters. During the random drawing for the 2nd round of the Gold Rush Tournament it has been decided you will be facing Constantine at Ascension 118. Please be at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, GA ready to go or you will be removed from the tournament.

As Tony finishes listening to the message the look on his face is a mix of fear and happiness. As he thinks about his upcoming match he starts pacing and talking to himself.

Tony: Of all the people I did not want to face, Constantine was at the top of the list. Me against a former Elite Openweight, Mayhem, Tag Team and World Champion. I'm lucky to have beat Vee A.D.Z. last Meltdown and now they're throwing me in there with the hands down favorite to win the entire fucking thing.

Tony: But on the other hand this is the perfect chance for me to avenge that tag team loss at Kingdom Come. Things have been going down hill since then and have only just picked up again. If I beat the favorite then people will have to notice me.

Inner Voice: Be careful of that pride Tony. It's true you're fighting Constantine for a reason but you don't know what that reason is only God does. He also doesn't like when people take it upon themselves to think they know what his plans are for their lives. So before you go and mess up what good has happened in your life you should go talk to Father Meloni and see what he has to say about all of this.

Heeding the voice in his head Tony gets Amelia ready and pushes her out the front door in her stroller. He waves at Melanie, who is sitting in her front yard reading a book and watches the cars drive by as he walks down the sidewalk. He gets there in the usual 10 minutes and he walks in the front door to hear Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies) by Chris Tomlin play throughout the Sanctuary.

[youtube]qOkImV2cJDg[/youtube]​

He crosses himself as passes the front of the sanctuary and goes into the back office area. He traverses the maze of hallways and knocks on the door to Father Meloni's office. When told he can enter he opens the door and sits down in front of Father Meloni's ornate oak desk as he lets Amelia out of her stroller and sets her on the floor before he looks back up and explains why he came.

Tony: Thanks for seeing me Father. The truth is I need some advice. I found out earlier today who my next opponent is for the Gold Rush Tournament and it's Constantine.

Father Meloni: The same Constantine that, with his partner, beat you and your tag team partner at Kingdom Come?

Tony: The very same Father. A lot has changed for him since then in the fact that he's no longer the leader of Vis Imperium so this will be a legitimate one on one match up but he is still one of the best wrestlers this company, this business, has ever seen. He's held every championship WZCW has to offer except one, he's the odds on favorite to win this entire tournament and he's a man I've never been able to beat. I don't know if I will ever be able to beat him.

Father Meloni: It sounds to me like you're afraid Anthony. Of what I don't know but what I do know what God calls us to do when we feel that fear. He calls on us whenever we feel fear to run to him. He knows what he has planed for us and he has promised that those plans are meant to prosper us and not to harm us. If you give that fear to Him then it will disappear and hey, you may even beat him and move on to the semi finals, only He knows for sure.

Thinking it's over Tony gets up and wrangles his daughter back in her stroller but as he turns to thanks the Father for his time he gets stopped at the door.

Father Meloni: One other thing before you leave Anthony. It wasn't just you who suffered a loss to Constantine at Kingdom Come. Maybe God has you facing him again to bring her back into your life.

Tony gets a thoughtful look on his face as he closes the door and pushes Amelia back through the corridors and leaves the church. By the time he is walking through his front door he is unable to shake the feeling that Father Meloni is right and for some reason God wants his old friend and Tag Team partner in his corner when he faces Constantine. He takes the time to put Amelia down for a nap and sit down in his living room as he just stares at the number he has yet to delete from his cell phone. He takes a few deep breaths and hits the call button. He doesn't have to wait long for a familiar voice to pick up on the other end.

Xaitlyn: I thought I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with you after Kingdom Come Anthony.

Tony: You did but please hear me out. If you don't like what I have to say I will never bother you again.

After about thirty seconds of silence that Tony takes a consent to continue so he starts talking again

Tony: Knowing you I doubt you've kept up with WZCW since you left so you have no idea that I was put in the Gold Rush Tournament again this year and I already beat Vee A.D.Z. To advance to the second round.

Xaitlyn: That's great Anthony now what does this have to do with me?

Tony: Nothing yet, it's the next part I think you'll be interested in. Unlike last year they're doing a random draw every round and for the second round they have me facing Constantine.

As soon has he says the name Constantine Tony can almost feel an icy chill through the phone line that causes him to pause for a second before he continues.

Tony: I just thought that you would like to be in my corner when I avenge our loss by beating him and moving on to the semi-finals of the Tournament.

Xaitlyn: So what you're saying is you want someone there for when Vis Imperium gets involved?

Tony: Constantine is no longer the leader of Vis Imperium. He was taken out by Justin Cooper and now he wants to take them all out. And that is part of the reason I want you in my corner. Constantine is still not a nice person and he wants to face Cooper and destroy Vis Imperium himself. I don't trust him to not try something if he feels he has to in order to win.

Xaitlyn: So I was right, you do want back up in this match. The answer is...

before she can finish her answer and hang up Tony brazenly interrupts and gives his other reason for wanting her in his corner.

Tony: I also want to fix things between us. If I hadn't done what I did and cost us that match you would still be here and I know we would still be tag team champions. It won't fix it overnight but having you in my corner when I beat the man that cost us our shot is a start.

If it wasn't for the breathing on the other end of the line Tony would have thought she hung up but instead he waits for her to process everything that he sprung on her.

Xaitlyn: I will do this for you Anthony. I can't promise that this will fix things between us or that anything like this will happen again but I think I would enjoy watching you beat that despicable John Constantine. I will see you in a few days so we can talk in person.

When she finishes talking she hangs up and leaves Tony staring at the dark screen on his cell phone as he says a small prayer.

Tony: Lord I hope I'm doing the right thing because I just don't know.

Saying that he hears Amelia start fussing so he puts is phone down on the counter and walks out of the kitchen as the screen fades to black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back