• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AS 66: "Showtime" David Cougar vs. Drake Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit

the Frog
Your main event of Ascension this week brings you two of the three competitors who will be involved in the main event of Kingdom Come V for the World Heavyweight Championship and a match that has headlined many shows already: Drake Callahan going up against "Showtime" Cougar in singles action. The Lethal Lottery winner has had Callahan's number for most of their encounters recently and the former World Champion will be looking to increase his win/loss ratio whilst tuning up for what could possibly be the biggest main event in history.

Deadline is Wednesday, June 26th 2013, at 11:59 P.M. (Central Time Zone) Soft Extensions Only.

Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead,
Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell
And the profit and loss.
A current under sea
Picked his bones in whispers. As he rose and fell
He passed the stages of his age and youth
Entering the whirlpool.
Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

- "The Waste Land", T.S. Eliot

------

A lone candle burns in a dark room. The suggestion of a table, of a chair, and of a man lie within the flickering light of the candle, all of it merely shadows and gray. The rest is darkness.

"Do you remember this?"
I said, leaning forward so that my smile can be seen in the light.

"Do you remember when I sat in a room, lit only by a candle, and became another man? When everyone loved Drake Callahan, there was another part of me, on the sides The part that everyone ignored, because the rest of the man was good. It was you - you and Ty, my old friends - who brought this out in me. When I was pushed to the limit, that little bit of me that was something different came out.

"Some would say that's who I am now. But you and I, Showtime, we know better."

I pulled out a cigarette and held it over the flame to light it, put in my mouth and took a drag.

"I'm neither of them, not anymore. Maybe they're still part of me, somewhere, but I don't think so. The hapless drunk and the would be monster. The perfect Jeckyl and Hyde. I thought - I was a little afraid, to be honest - that when I came back to WZCW, I would bring back with me the man in the darkness. But I didn't, you see, because...

"...because I brought another into the darkness with me."

The brief strike of a match is heard and another candle is lit. The camera pans out to reveal a woman sitting next to me. Stoya laughs a little, as I take her hand.

"It's difficult to become so lost when another holds your hand, Showtime. But that's just what's wrong with you, isn't it? You're all alone. You have a wife and a son, but you cast them aside so you can come back for...what? Vengeance? The big shiny belt? The spotlight you love so much? Whatever it is that convinced you to come back, you no doubt think you're walking back into the light, into the hearts and minds of the people, into a good place. But you're wrong, Showtime.

"You're walking into the darkness, with me. And that's not exactly a good place for you to be, right now. I'll give you some advice - forget about Holmes. He doesn't exist in here, as much as he might think he does. Because I want to be clear, Showtime - this isn't the darkness of evil. This is the darkness of men who know. Who've won and lost, who've climbed the hill and come back down again, who've suffered and learned and seen the way it works. Holmes is drunk on his own glory, reveling in his success, at the top of a mountain of his own creation. He has no place here.

"But you and I...well, we know better than that, don't we? I made you painfully aware of what it was like to lose everything, and I gave you the glimpse of this darkness, and you returned the favor to me. We just can't seem to get away from one another, can we? What I am given, you take. What you are given, I take. What you have, I want. What I have, you want. On and on and on forever. They keep telling us we're moving forward, they keep saying next week on Meltdown, as if next week is any different from last week or a hundred weeks ago. We just keep coming back to this. I don't know why, Showtime, I didn't choose this. I didn't choose you. Maybe it's fate. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's just Vance Bateman throwing darts the wall. I don't have the answer, but here we are."

I tapped some of the ash off the end of the cigarette. Stoya clutched my hand a little harder. I looked at her. In the darkness, I saw the faint outline of a smile on her lips.

"What I do know is I'm ready to face you again, Showtime. I'm ready to face you, and I'm ready to beat you. And I'm going to enjoy it. Because, you know, last week, I asked why everyone thought Titus was some big god damned hero. And I'm asking the same question of you - why does everyone think you're so great, Showtime? You leave your wife and son at the drop of the hat. You chase glory relentlessly and never care who gets in your way. You're cocky, you're brash, you're arrogant. The only possible explanation I can think of is that people liked you because you held the title for so long, but now that's gone to. So why? Why do they cling to you?

"Don't worry, I'll answer. Because someone told them to, that's why. Because they've been conditioned to know who the heroes and the villains are. Because they've been taught over and over that the good guys are the ones who eat their vitamins, say their prayers, and most importantly, kiss their ass. That's the only difference between us, in the end, Showtime. When I say 'You people', you say 'You fans.' When I say 'you morons', you say 'my friends.' When you pander, I insult. When your nose is brown, mine is in the air. But the message is the same, in the end, isn't it? The message is 'I want it'. I want the world title. I want the win. I want my name in lights, I want to be the superstar, I want to be on top, I want to be the greatest of all time. And yet, how ridiculous that it's not our actions but our words that make us loved or hated. Because while your family is left behind at best and dragged into your wars at worst, my only companion is a woman who wants everything I want, who wants to see me succeed as much as I do. When I point out the liars and the frauds hiding in the shadows, I earn only spite, but when you prop them up, you get their love.

"This entire sport, this entire industry, Showtime - all of professional wrestling, is a fucking joke. When the liars are heroes and the honest are the villains, what else am I supposed to call it?"

I tapped some more ash off the cigarette before continuing.

"So let me tell you the truth. Whatever they perceive, whatever delusions they suffer, there is a single, universal truth that I've come to understand. In this game we play, Showtime, there are no heroes and no villains. Morality lies only where men think it lies. They think it lies with you, because you're nice to them, and because you're on the souvenir cup, and you signed their program. They think it's abandoned me, because I tell them things they don't want to hear, I snarl at their children, and I make people like you hurt. In the end, morals are just an illusion of the mob.

"I've done everything I ever could to justify why I want to beat you, Showtime. I've called you a monster, I've called you a puppet of Ty Burna, I've called you a million other things. Some of them true, some of them not. But none of the matter, in the end. Because all I've really been trying to do is pretend you're the villain and I'm the hero, but I know better than that now. You don't, still. I know. I understand. As I always have, Showtime, I'll lend you my wisdom in this. And you'll take the lesson, in time, as I know you will.

"I don't need a justification to beat you any more, Showtime. I just want to, and I'm going to. I could say defeating you is the first step toward me winning the world title, but you know what? I don't even care about that right now. I just want this. One more win over you. One more night I walk away on top. Because that's become the sweetest feeling in the world to me, Showtime. That feeling when, despite all of it, I still win. I still do what I was born to do - win. And there's nothing better than beating the one man who has dogged and vexed me since the beginning of my career. I'm sure you know the feeling."

I reached out a hand and snuffed at the candle. In unison, Stoya did the same with hers. We became shrouded in darkness.

"The hour is late, Showtime, and the night is dark. It's time we were about our business. The mob wants a show."

I laughed briefly, letting the sound linger for a moment.

"Yeah, the mob wants a show, and it's showtime."

The Making of an Arch Rival​

Showtime: In every type of fiction, comedy or drama, there is a protagonist and an antagonist. In many stories this is represented by real characters where one is the hero and the other is the villain. Sometimes hero's can have many different villains challenging them and in most cases there is an arch rival that is most associated with them. Batman had the Joker. Sherlock Holmes had Professor Moriarty. Mine... was Ty Burna.

Cougar hits a quick dropkick that sends Ty staggering back into the ropes. Cougar charged and clotheslines him right over the top! Ty is on the outside and Cougar poses for the crowd, taunting them. Ty gets to his feet and he looks angry. Cougar taunts him and lets him back in the ring. Ty charges him but Cougar knees him in the gut. He quickly hits a standing spinning clothesline that drops Ty. He stands over him, taunts, and hits a leg drop. He covers for a two count. He gets to his feet and turns his back to taunt the crowd, and while he’s busy, Ty sits up and he looks angry! Cougar turns around and is startled. He quickly closes the gap and starts trying to chop Ty down, but Ty’s barely noticing! Ty catches one of Cougar’s arms, kicks him, then elevates him up…he plants him into the ground with the Ouija Flame! He covers Cougar for 1, 2, 3!

Harrys: Here is your winner, Ty Burna!

I had been defeated a few times before that contest, but this loss really stuck to me. I walked into the tournament thinking the EurAsian Title already had my name etched on it. Then Ty Burna entered the ring. Second match in WZCW since earning his contract and with one move he beat me. It was the most humbling loss in my career at that point. For all the bad that I thought he did, the loss did do something good for me. It set the bar for where I knew I had to be to become World Champion.

Apocalypse 2010

Both men are on the canvas and as they lie motionless, the referee begins his count. Both men grab the ropes that are nearest to them and manage to get back to their feet on a count of seven. Both men stumble towards each other and Ty, from nowhere, goes for the Consecrated Banishment. However, Showtime manages to move out of the way and as Ty falls to the canvas after committing to his finishing move, Show grabs his legs and applies the Commercial Break. Ty struggles in his agony as the weary referee asks him if he wants to continue. Ty screams that he does and there doesn’t look to be an ounce of quit in him as he tries to move towards the ropes. Slowly but surely, Ty begins to crawl towards the ropes. He stretches his hand out but he is still a little bit away from his goal. As he tries to crawl forward again, a look of wrenched pain etched upon his features, Show pulls him back into the centre of the ring as a loud cheer from the fans goes around the arena. More pain and pressure is applied into the submission by Showtime, who is giving it everything he has. Ty begins to crawl again but some way across the ring for a second time, Ty stops and with one final pull on the legs of Ty, Ty taps on the canvas.

Harrys: Here is your winner, by way of submission… “Showtime”, David Cougar!

Beating Ty Burna that night, sorry... ego booster coming up, making Ty Burna tap that night was the greatest accomplishment in my career up to that point. I’m very proud to have held every single title in this company, including the EurAsian and Mayhem titles which I had already won by then, but beating Ty was something that I had worked so long and so hard to do and for a brief moment I felt invincible after. My hard work was rewarded when I won a shot at the World Heavyweight Title inside the Unscripted Hell in a Cell. I was ready to go past the bar I had set and become the new standard in WZCW. Once again though, Ty Burna came into the picture and threw that bar into the stratosphere.

Unscripted 2010

On top of the Cell, Showtime goes over to Kurtesy who tries to sluggishly get an attack is but is met with a Ratings Crash and both men are laid out flat on the roof as Ty thinks what he needs to do with his former partner. He gets up very slowly as does Vengeance and as Ty turns to face Vengeance who hits a sudden Judge, Jury and Executioner, but he isn’t able to get the cover due to the exhaustion. He eventually rolls over to get an arm over but Ty counters it into the Finale Séance, locking Vengeance tight who refuses to scream but grit his teeth tightly, the exhaustion wears in on his face and reaching out to the ropes doesn’t bring him closer as he’s in the centre of the ring. Vengeance looks exhausted, looking around at where to grab but he eventually turns to look at Ty, who holds the move tight and he lets out a faint smile before he slams his hand to the mat and submits to Ty with the referee signaling for the bell.

Harrys: The winner of this match, and NEW World Heavyweight Champion, Ty Burna!

----------

All or Nothing 2010

Gordito crashes to the mat, and Ty quickly grabs his arms and locks in the Final Séance! Gordito tries to struggle out of it, but Ty shakes his head, absolutely refusing to let go! Gordito tries to edge towards the ropes but he can’t quite make it! Gordito thrashes, trying to get out, the blood dripping off his face, forming a pool underneath his head. Finally, Gordito goes limp for a moment before tapping out! Ty lets go and lies back on the mat, breathing heavily.

Harrys: Here is your winner, and STILL WZCW World Heavyweight Champion, Ty Burna!

----------

Lethal Lottery 2011

Barbosa looks at his handy work and smiles, getting up to finish it off with the Locoplata... but Ty is on the top rope recovered and jumps at Barbosa with a SUPER CONSECRATED BANISHMENT!!! The force whiplashes Barbosa back through the ropes and he gets tangled on the bottom rope, unable to unlock his leg. Ty sees this and looks at the fallen Gordito, locking in the FINAL SEANCE! Gordito tries desperately to find something... anything to escape. Barbosa looks on the titantron what is happening and he too tries to escape his predicament. Gordito can't hold on any longer and begins tapping out.

The referee signals for the bell, Ty Burna's music hits and the crowd is applauding both the win and the match. The referee hands the championship belt to Ty and holds his arm before checking on Gordito, then going over to Barbosa to help him.

Harrys: Here is your winner and STILL the WZCW Heavyweight Champion of the World....... TYYYYYYYY BUUUUURRRRNNNNNAAAAAAAA!!!

----------

Apocalypse 2011​

Austin continues to pull himself closer to the ropes as Ty pulls father back with the Final Seance. Austin is about a foot away from the ropes. He pulls himself once more and is now inches away. Ty rears back farther than before on the arm and pulls Austin’s body further from the ropes. The pain is too unbearable and Austin has no choice but to tapout. Ding ding ding.

Harrys: Here is your winner and still WZCW World Heavyweight Champion, Ty Burna!

There was no greater rival to have than Ty Burna. Everything about him said he wanted to destroy you. To survive was an accomplishment in of itself. To beat him... made you feel like you were on top of the world. We had many battles over the years, some great matches, and after I finally won the World Heavyweight Title, I had the ultimate honour of being able to not only defend against Ty Burna, but to beat him as well in what would be his second to last match. Even after Redemption, when Chris K.O. closed the casket on him and set it on fire, I still believed that Ty Burna was alive and would one day return to WZCW. I was right, but it all happened in a flash and before I knew it he was gone again. This time I know that he is gone for good and the first time in a while, I felt alone. A hero without a villain fight. A Ying without a Yang.

Enter Drake Callahan

In movies these days, you rarely ever see the same villain return in the sequel to face the hero. The audience wants to see the main character overcome different challenges, but still come out on top. Every hero though has that one villain that they are most associated with, but sometimes someone comes along and performs better and provides an equal or even greater challenge. Take the two most recent Batman movies for example. Many people have said that the character Bane, inside the movie and performed by the actor, was on par to that of Batman’s greatest villain The Joker in the previous film, some saw he was better. If Ty Burna is my Joker, then Drake Callahan is unquestionably my Bane.

Show drags Callahan to the corner and slowly but surely, gets himself and Callahan up to the top preparing for his finisher Final Act. Show is about to set up Callahan for the finish but Drake manages to rack the eyes of Show, causing Show to grab his eyes and leaving Show open for Callahan to hit the Hangover from the top. As they crash to the mat, the crowd is left in shock as the two men lay on the canvas with Show almost out of it as Callahan is very slow to recover. The crowd chants holy shit as the two slowly move.

Copeland: Oh my God! That was a huge impact from Callahan to Showtime. An avalanche brainbuster isn't something to take lightly: is Show okay?

Cohen: Wow... I didn't know Callahan had it in him to do something that ballsy.

Callahan manages to get to his feet and is breathing heavily. Whilst most of the crowd are still in awe of what happened, some boo Callahan's tactics he took to gain the advantage. He however does not care as he stares of Show, who is using Callahan to get himself to a vertical base. A small smile comes across the face of Callahan before Drake picks him up and nails another Hangover. Callahan sits up as Show is out, smile on his face and some laughing as well. Callahan turns to the ref who is checking on Show and pushes him aside, locking in the Last Call on Show. The ref has no choice but to immediately end the match to preserve the condition of Show.

The match ends as the bell rings with Callahan letting go of the hold and getting to his feet, taking a deep breath as his music plays. A wide grin on his face indicates that he is happy with the victory although the crowd isn't.

Harrys: Here is your winner; Drake Callahan.

Cohen: This is a new, more assertive side of Callahan we've seen tonight. You think he's taking his Fluttershy character too seriously?

Copeland: I'm not familiar with ponies but this isn't something I'd show my kids to learn from. What's going through the mind of Callahan to do something like this?

Cohen: His history with Showtime, stress from Kingdom Come?

Copeland: Whatever it is, I'm not liking this new attitude. Better keep an eye out on Callahan from now on.

Callahan exits the ring and slowly walks up the ramp as the ref still checks on Show, who is only just starting to stir.

The ironic thing about Drake Callahan assuming Ty Burna’s place as my biggest rival is that he was right in the middle of me and Ty’s early battles. Ty Burna and I both beat Drake to win the EurAsian and Mayhem Titles respectively and were looking to settle a score with each other when Drake was added into a match for all the titles. Drake and Ty traded pinfalls, but it wasn’t long until I got at Drake and the EurAsian Title. I put him away in impressive fashion and he wasn’t seen or heard from again in years. When Drake returned it looked like he was picking up right where he left off, but there was a hidden anger inside of him. Call it jealously, call it vengeance, call it hate. It was there inside of him and at the right time he directed it at me, he cost me damn near everything, including my health. He even took away the title I worked so hard for.

Redemption 2012​

Drake suddenly wraps his arm around Showtime's neck while on the top turnbuckle. Showtime struggles against it and is actually able to counter, lifting Drake up into the air in a suplex position. Drake is able to get a knee to the top of Showtime's head and floats back over onto the top rope. He lifts Showtime up and delivers a top rope Hangover! The back of Showtime's head hits the mat hard as does Drake's! The crowd is stunned at what just happened, but begin booing loudly as Drake crawls over to Showtime, draping an arm over his chest, 1.................2...............3!

Harrys: Here is your winner, and THE NEWWWWWWWWWWW WZCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, DRAKE CALLAHAN!

Drake had it all and he gloated about it. He felt he had every right to, he had beaten the man who put him away. He had taken everything from me and left me for dead. He thought he had won. He didn’t win, not yet anyway. There was still a beat, still a pulse left inside me. In true dramatic fashion it took everything, including putting my career on the line, to get back what he had taken from me, to counter what he had done to me, to right a wrong that he had caused.

Apocalypse 2012

The crowd is cheering loudly for Show to get to his feet as Powers does not know what to do here. He watches on intently as Show gets to his feet first but Callahan pounces, trying to lock in the Bitter End desperately... but Show rolls out of it. He stands up and so does Callahan: clothesline from Show. Cougar looks to set up the Commercial Break on Callahan but Powers is quick to jump in, looking to save his client from the submission. It was unwise though as Powers gets thrown out to the floor for his troubles, hitting the ground hard thanks to Showtime. The crowd goes wild as Powers is out and Showtime goes for the submission, locking in the Commercial Break successfully and keeping it tight. Callahan has no way of escaping the hold as he tries crawling to the ropes. He grabs the bottom but it does nothing! Show pulls Callahan into the center of the ring and wrenches back, the crowd craving for Drake to tap. He thinks about tapping but just as he goes to, the referee is pulled out of the ring. Callahan taps and Show lets go but no bell is called. He turns around and sees the referee on the outside thanks to Vance Bateman!

Copeland: Damnit! Bateman just cost Showtime the match! He could have won the World championship but Bateman took out the referee! He's going to cost Showtime his career!

Cohen: I never knew Vance had the balls.

Showtime steps out of the ring and approaches Vance, telling him off and questioning as to why he is doing this to Show. Bateman remains silent and tall as Show pushes him back. Cougar forgets about Callahan who slides out of the ring and takes out Cougar from behind, a heavily booing audience shows their disgust for what is taking place. Callahan picks up Show and throws him into the ring. Before he enters the ring, Bateman gives him the World title and smirks. Callahan smirks back and enters the ring, looking to stalk Show. Bateman revives the referee and pulls him back into the ring, then watches on as Callahan waits for the right moment.

Connor: It can't end like this, surely?

Cohen: It's no DQ rules here with the General Manager of Ascension. There isn't much anyone can do about this.

Callahan goes to whack Showtime with the belt... and Show ducks the contact. Drake turns around... sweep by Show again... Commercial Break locked in again! Callahan desperately crawls around but its pointless and before Bateman has a chance to react... Callahan taps!

The crowd is on their feet and roars at the loudest volume for the entirety of the night as Showtime picks up the victory and the referee signals for the bell. The match is over and Bateman cannot believe it! He is disbelief and before he can grab a microphone to over-rule the match, a team of security personnel nab Bateman and escort him out, with Myles and Big Dave watching from the ramp. Showtime is on his knees and holds his hands high in the air in victory.

Harrys: Here is your winner and NEW WZCW World Heavyweight Champion; "SHOWTIME" COOOOOUUUGGAAARRRR!!!

Drake Callahan didn’t win that night, the hero ended the journey victorious as always, but still the battle has continued. Despite winning the biggest match of all our matches, Drake continues to have my number inside the ring. Every match we have goes right down to the wire, but Drake continues to find ways to beat me. He is a rival far different from Ty Burna. Ty did things that made me crazy, Ty did things that were crazy. He was out to spread chaos everywhere, not to destroy me. I was often times the foil in his plans, though sometimes he ended with the last laugh. Ty Burna set the bar so high that I will always be reaching for it. Will I ever reach that bar? Maybe, but it will forever be up for debate. What is good about it is that I will always be pushing myself to reach it, and even if I never do, I will always be proud of my time in WZCW. I have accomplished it all and done it with the support of my family and millions of fans that I didn’t have to start. My career can end on Ascension and I will have no regrets, but because of Ty Burna I will always push to be better for as long as I keep competing inside the ring.

The audience cheers loudly and for the first time we get a live visually. Showtime is seated behind the desk on the set of The Show. The camera being shown is not from the stage camera up front, but from a side camera off curtain filming documentary style.

Drake doesn’t care about chaos, all he wants is revenge. In Drake’s world nothing is ever his fault. Drake blames me for his loses, he blames Ty Burna for his troubles, he blames WZCW for holding him back. To Drake I am a target, a target for his frustration. Drake has no one to blame for anything that's gone wrong in his career, except maybe himself. If Drake views me as a target, then perhaps I need to view him as one as well, only I won't view him as a target for my frustrations or my disappoints. I will view Drake as a target for what needs to be done. Drake is trying to down play his match verse Holmes at Kingdom Come. I can guarantee to all of you that he is thinking about it every single day. I know I have, he both held the title once before and yearn to have it back. The World Heavyweight Title is the bar I set for myself now. It is the most important prize in this company. That's my goal right now, to defeat Holmes and recapture it. Ever since Celeste cold clocked me with the title belt I've been thinking about getting my hands on Holmes inside the ring. I want that measure of revenge verse Holmes, but I also know that if I can't defeat Drake then I don't deserve the chance to defeat Holmes. If I can't beat Drake one month before Kingdom Come, what chance do I have to beat him and Holmes in the same match? So that's my target. On Ascension 66, I have to beat Drake Callahan. I have to dig deep and find a way to win, just like I did at Apocalypse. That's the only way I will view myself ready to take on him and Holmes, is to defeat my newest arch rival. Because of that my only focus right now is that match verse you Drake, and let me tell you all, anytime I set a goal for myself I find a way to accomplish it. Beating Ty Burna. Winning the World Heavyweight Title. All things I've worked for and all things that I have done.

The bar has been set, my goal is now clear. Drake Callahan, you are my next target. Try not to get too upset this time.

The audience cheers and claps. Showtime stands up from behind his desk and takes a bow. He looks to the side and sees his wife and son there smiling and clapping. Showtime smiles towards them and then waves to the audience as the scene ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back