• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Artists That Didn't Exist For Long, But You Want To Return

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Now first of all, this applies to more or less any musical act. It can be a group, a band or a solo artist that didn't exist for very long (For example 3 years) and then more or less vanished / broke up.

It has happened to quite a bunch of artists all through time. They get together, they get successful and one of them either wants a solo career, doesn't want to continue or anything like that which brings them out of the musical business. They then eventually go on to never be heard from again, living off the money they made, or by doing something else (Producing, movies, writing. God knows what).

So, what artist(s) would you like to see make a return to the musical business? Release one final album (That isn't some damned money leeching Greatest Hits album) or one final concert / tour / whatever?

My personal choices would have to be the two following.

SR-71: Now I only got into this band years after they disbanded. They weren't necessarily greatly successful yet they did make some great music. After a while though they suddenly went on a hiatus and Mitch Allen decided to do some producing and make a solo album. A final album or something would be absolutely great.

And sure there's said to have been a reunion from them. Yet there has still not come any album out of it. Which if it is indeed gonna happen I can only say that I'm looking forward to.

Savage Garden: Yes, don't give me that look. Savage Garden was pretty awesome. And very popular as well. Darren Hayes has a great voice, and I think that it was an absolute shame that Daniel Jones wanted to break it up due to the fame that the band was getting (At least according to reports). Just like SR-71 a final album would be pretty cool.

I'd like for Derek and the Dominos to do a reunion tour, alas bassist Carl Radle died from kidney infection, drummer Jim Gordon was an undiagnosed schizophrenic and killed his mother which landed him in a psychiatric ward where he still is, and Eric Clapton and singer/pianist Bobby Whitlock still can't get on the same stage and the break-up was 40 years ago. Plus the unofficial 2nd guitarist, Duane Allman died in a motorcycle crash a year after their only LP was released. So something tells me this reunion won't happen.

Their single album, "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs", is still possibly my favorite album of all-time ever since I heard it a few years ago. Eight minute songs layered with guitar solos and Eric Clapton's "broken heart" tone, the story behind the album; this kind of album just doesn't get made anymore. Powerful stuff.

[YOUTUBE]NDycxnPh2IY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]aBi0vMVHvHM[/YOUTUBE]

Such an underrated band, I would love to see Temple Of The Dog record together again. Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell have such different voices but I think they go so well together. If they have spare time in between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, they need to get this band back together!

Also Mad Season , Layne Staleys "other" band. Obvsiously, due to Layne no longer being with us, this one will never happen. it is just a shame that both Mad Season and TOTD have only ever released 1 album each.

[YOUTUBE]SC3K_BSPJ3Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0c-j_ibMoF4[/YOUTUBE]

Dammit Natural stop picking stuff I like :p

Mad Season and Temple Of The Dog are great bands. I liked Temple Of The Dog's hybrid Pearl Jam/Soundgarden style (even though Pearl Jam weren't around at that time) and I liked how Mad Season allowed Layne Staley to show his more sensitive side in a way being more mellow and less heavy than Alice In Chains.

Mother Love Bone

Obviously its not going to happen because unfortunately Andrew Wood passed away, but it would still be great, I still liked hiow Andrew Wood called them 'Love Rock' they were unique and I haven't heard a band similar at all (unless you count Wood's other band Malfunkshun) mixing glam with 70s rock it was a great fusion, and some class them as the catalyst of the interest in Seattle music in the 90s, imagine where they would have gone if Wood was still around.

[YOUTUBE]k7CPIXnaeeQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HffbME_B7JQ[/YOUTUBE]

Stone Roses

Having made one of the best debut albums ever, following it up with a decent follow up (although many people say its shit, its not) and influncing Oasis, the Stone Roses were great, having one of Britain's greatest guitarists in John Squire, a guy called 'Hendrix on drums' in Reni, a really good bassist in Mani and a frontman who (while a bit of a twat) has a commanding presence and a great voice in Ian Brown. All they'd need to do is get Squire out of retirement (he's an artist know) and get him and Brown to patch things up they'd be good to go.

[YOUTUBE]1g09GzbctlA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]FuPfbfJm2rc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pZy19QzqUKk[/YOUTUBE]

Dammit Natural stop picking stuff I like :p

Haha we do seem to usually post similar types of music. BTW I went to rep you, but I am gonna have to spread it round first mate!

STONE FUCKING ROSES!!! Absolutely awesome choice man. As a Manchester lad, I love The Roses, and Ian Brown as a solo artist. I have a huge canvas painting of him in my flat. He actually filmed his "Stellify" video right infront of my building, which was great!

The Roses debut album is one of the all-time classic 1st albums, but "The Second Coming (great title btw) is unfairly criticised IMO. While it may not be as good as "The Stone Roses" it is still a fucking good album- "Breaking Into Heaven", "Driving South", "Love Spreads" and "Begging You" are all brilliant tracks.

I really hope they reunite at some point. Reni and Mani want it to happen, but Squire and Brown, former best mates, still wont talk. Brown has said he will consider it once Man City win the European Cup (He is a big Man Utd fan lol). He said this when City were in the old 2nd division (3rd league down), and obvsiously had no idea they were going to end up the richest club in the world thanks to the takeover by Sheikh Mansour lol

Maybe they will win something soon and we can have a Roses reunion?! They have been offered millions to do it, and a reunion tour would be MASSIVE!

I don't think it'll happen and I'm glad Soundgarden has reformed but I wouldn't mind if Audioslave recorded another album someday. However, since they didn't seem to be getting on too well with each other when they split, I assume it won't happen.

I don't think it'll happen and I'm glad Soundgarden has reformed but I wouldn't mind if Audioslave recorded another album someday. However, since they didn't seem to be getting on too well with each other when they split, I assume it won't happen.

Yeah I read that too, that Cornells relationship with the other guys in the band had really deteriorated.

Sad to see the demise of Audioslave, I thought they were a great band. Their first and third albums were fucking awesome, wasnt too keen on their second though. I regret not going to see them live when I had the chance, I chose to do something else instead of spending my money on a ticket :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Rocking out to "Cochise" or "Gasoline" would have been brilliant. Hopefully Soundgarden tour the UK soon so I can go see Cornell live that way! :)

Stone Roses would be possibly be #2 for me, but I have to go with freaking The Libertines!

A British Indie rock Band consisting of Pete Doherty and Carl Barat, but they were one of those bands whose success was simply eclipsed by personal problems. Doherty was a drug addict, and he and Barat bickered frequently over the songwriting process, and their creative ideals. Still, Up the Bracket is one of my favorite albums of all time.

The Libertines- Up The Bracket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_g6zNuP_I

the Libertines- Time For Heroes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAusT_Yl1gE

I loved these guys when I was a senior in college in 2002(I know, Im dating myself:shrug:), and thought they were brilliant. Their self-titled follow up was pretty good as well, but they were one of those bands where the two founding members just didnt get along, and Doherty's Heroin and Cocaine problems ultimately lead to their demise.

They've supposedly mended their differences and are set to reunite, but I havent heard anything in terms of touring or new releases. Here's hoping. These guys were amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back