Arrow

Shotaro

WZCW's James Howard
So, I just watched the pilot for the CWs new superhero show "Arrow" which is all about Green Arrow (aka Oliver Queen and my absolute favourite comic book character) and I thought it was pretty damn good actually.

It's far enough in tone away from Smallville (the tone echoes Nolan's Batman films if anything) for it to not be quite so girly, he straight up kills several guys in the pilot including snapping one guys neck.

Loads of nods and references in the pilot including Slade's Mask; Speedy; Dinah Lance; Merlyn and several others. I have high hopes for this show.

Has anyone else watched it? What did you think of it?

Theres an add in every one of my comic books, so i'm pretty sure i'm gonna check it out soon!

I wasnt a huge smallville fan (are they made by the same guy or anything? I havent done my research.) so i'm glad to hear its not too similar. I may use my GF as a buffer cause she's a big green arrow fan!

Its going on the list atleast!

It's nothing like Smallville. It's far darker in tone (I despised Smallville - but then I also dislike Superman so it's swings and roundabouts I guess)

It's very much in line with the new 52 version of the character rather than the version Kevin Smith revived in the early 2000s.

If you missus likes GA because of Smallville this might not be her thing - then again the guy is fucking ripped so maybe she'll get used to it.

It's nothing like Smallville. It's far darker in tone (I despised Smallville - but then I also dislike Superman so it's swings and roundabouts I guess)

It's very much in line with the new 52 version of the character rather than the version Kevin Smith revived in the early 2000s.

If you missus likes GA because of Smallville this might not be her thing - then again the guy is fucking ripped so maybe she'll get used to it.

Nah she hates Smallville too, maybe thats what drew me to her. Too many vivid colours. Shes a fan of the comics... By the by, any suggestions for whats good reading for Green Arrow?? Havent followed up his new 52 adventures yet.

Darker tone might be sweet, I like my gritty. I assume I'll watch it illegally cause god knows when it'll be out over here. But i'm glad to here some good one way or the other. Cheers man!

Nah she hates Smallville too, maybe thats what drew me to her. Too many vivid colours. Shes a fan of the comics... By the by, any suggestions for whats good reading for Green Arrow?? Havent followed up his new 52 adventures yet.

Darker tone might be sweet, I like my gritty. I assume I'll watch it illegally cause god knows when it'll be out over here. But i'm glad to here some good one way or the other. Cheers man!

How far back you willing to go? I'd say Quiver is probably the best GA comic there's ever been (it's at least up there with Longbow Hunters) but there's also Sounds of Violence (which has an AWESOME villain) the problem is anything I suggest to you now isn't canon anymore since it's not post new 52. I'm waay behind on monthlys right now so I couldn't recommend anything too recent as I've not read it. A bag-load of DCU comics just sitting there on my shelf waiting to be read, bagged and added to the other 1000+ comics I've collected...

To be quite honest, I wasn't expecting much from yet another superhero tv show. I liked Smallville and thought it was the best superhero series up to that point. Arrow looks pretty promising if it can keep up the pace of what occured in the pilot episode. The pilot was good at setting up Oliver's island survival and his life back from it. There were definite twists in the story, however. Like Oliver's father dying by killing himself and the other survivor guy so Ollie could live. Or how about Ollie's mother being the person behind Oliver's attempted kidnapping and interrogation? I totally didn't see that one coming! Also, the twist with Ollie's girlfriend's sister dying on his yacht was different to see. I liked the dark direction of the show and it seems more gritty and realistic compared to the green arrow that was in Smallville. I dunno how the comics did it, but I thought Oliver's parent both died? Maybe that was just a Smallville thing. Whatever the case may be, I thought Arrow was good. If it can find a good balance between pace and execution, it could be the CW's best new show.

I liked the show, I felt it was paced perfectly, had good action, & was respectful of the source material. I never felt bored & when the episode ended I was ready for the next one, can't wait to see where everything goes. I also felt it very appropriate the show based on a comic book character airs on a Weds., the same day new comics hit the stands, granted I'm sure it's purely coincidental, but still a very small thing that I find pretty cool.

Here's a pretty decent "where to start list"

http://ifanboy.com/articles/green-arrow-where-do-i-start/

I'm planning on getting Year One, & Long Bow Hunters this weekend, assuming my LCS has both in stock.

The nice thing about CW is that after the ep. airs on TV they post in on their site within the next 24 hrs. so you can just watch it that way, & it's all perfectly legal

http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/arrow/pilot/?play=757c9164-3c62-45b3-8c11-acb9659271a9

After I read this, I immediately went to go check this show out. It's a pretty good show, had a good mix of action in it. Was really enjoyable. Are there any other shows besides Smallville that's based on comic book heroes? Or even ones that you know are coming that haven't made its debut?

I'm not good with DC comic characters (you know, aside from Batman, Superman and chatacters related to them) so I literally know nothing about Green Arrow. But the adverts for this show have really grabbed my attention, and I am actually pretty excited to see what this show is all about. Starts next week over in the UK, and I can't wait to give it a go.

Watched it there last night with the lady herself. Have to say it was great, good action, little bit of humour and some great little hooks to keep me coming back next time. Actually, the action was great!

As an aside, I was glad to see the detective played by Paul Blackthorne. He played the lead in a terrible (or, ok) tv series of my favourite book series 'The Dresden Files'.

The lead guy is super hot, like unnaturaly. The freakish pull-ups climbing thing was freakish. But i loved how he actually jumped in the way a comic book guy would.

And I guess this is just for Shotaro, or anyone else that watched but
What was the deal with the Deathstroke mask? TV doesnt often make me flip, but that was great. Just wondering if its something from smallville as I know he made an appearance? Or should I just keep watching?

Hmmm... an incredibly layered, complex DC comic book character cast in a dark, gritty, Nolan-esque new television series...

COUNT ME IN!

I just watched the trailer and it looks great. I love anything dealing with comic book superheroes, so I'll definitely check this show out.

Watched it there last night with the lady herself. Have to say it was great, good action, little bit of humour and some great little hooks to keep me coming back next time. Actually, the action was great!

As an aside, I was glad to see the detective played by Paul Blackthorne. He played the lead in a terrible (or, ok) tv series of my favourite book series 'The Dresden Files'.

The lead guy is super hot, like unnaturaly. The freakish pull-ups climbing thing was freakish. But i loved how he actually jumped in the way a comic book guy would.

And I guess this is just for Shotaro, or anyone else that watched but
What was the deal with the Deathstroke mask? TV doesnt often make me flip, but that was great. Just wondering if its something from smallville as I know he made an appearance? Or should I just keep watching?
No this show and Smallville are completely unrelated. I have no idea what it was about (they've crossed paths in the comics a few times but not where they seem to be implying) I hope it'll be revealed as the season goes on.

Responding to a spoiler is awkward, I put it in a spoiler to avoid anyone getting butthurt but I don't think it was absolutely necessary (it is referring to something in the first episode anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back