• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are There Limits In Comedy?

Xemmy

of the Le'beau family
I was watching the video where Chris Jericho was on Opie and Anthony, and got really pissed at Jim Norton for making a joke about quadriplegics. What Jim didn't realize until afterwards is that Jericho's mother was a quadriplegic the ten to fifteen years of her life. Jim gave an apology of sorts and that if he'd known he would have been respectful, but also argued that no subject is off limits in comedy. Chris got continually angry, saying that he had warned him and that there are certain things that you can't joke about.

While I think Norton was insensitive, he wasn't aware of the situation and I agree that anything can be funny if the joke is good enough. But that's just my sense of humor- doesn't mean I'm right.

My Grandfather died a long and miserable death from cancer. For about six months, I took offense to any jokes that involved cancer, or cancer patients. Same occurrence with a friend that died in a car accident. But after several months had passed, I regained my sense of humor. While I understand being sensitive to jokes, I looked at certain people in desperate situations and realized that most of them haven't lost their sense of humor. My other Grandfather's in a wheelchair- and he has the best jokes about it. If he can grow a sense of humor about it, why should I be bitter about it? Death and Disability are different situations, but regardless I think that in both there's a difference between making a joke about situations, and directly insulting the person.

What Are Your Limits To Comedy, and Who's Side Are You On?

Are There Certain Things You Won't or Stopped Joking About Because of a Personal Experience? Why?

My limits? There are none. I will laugh at anything if the joke's good. If it's someone just being racist or attacking a Religion think they're funny, then it's a different story. With the Jericho case, I am most definitely on his side. People should always do their research on others and make sure that what they say doesn't happen to offend anyone else around them at that time and if they do, they should be HIGHLY apologetic for it.

Are There Certain Things You Won't or Stopped Joking About Because of a Personal Experience? Why?
Yes, there are. Since my Mum died just under 4 Years ago from Cancer, I never joke about it any more, or laugh about it. When you experience something in real life, it just doesn't become funny anymore. I laugh about death, because that's something that's inevitable, but this is an illness that I now take to heart, so if someone jokes about it around me, I usually get very, very defensive and sometimes can be quite emotional, but I'm not afraid to tell/show that.

I would first of all like to apologise for anyone that i offended by my Ryan Dunn/Macho Man Randy Savage joke. It was miss timed by myself and normally have a cooling off period of about a day before i make any jokes about a tragic event.

In my defence, I have had friends who have died in car crashes and i know the pain involved. The key word there was "Friend". Ryan Dunn and Macho Man Randy Savage were not friends of mine, they were celebrities. One of the main jobs of celebrities is to be talked about and i believe making jokes about a death are a tribute to the life they lived.

I don't think there should really be any lines in comedy that people can cross, it's a personal thing. Comedians should be alowed to censor themselves on what their audiance expects. Personally i don't normally use offensive jokes, i normally tell silly one liners, and i'm not a fan of racist jokes.

In conclusion, if you're going to be offensive. You'd better be funny!

I don't really have any limit, I think it depends how you say it. If you come out and for example start making fun of African Americans and then at the end go, "We should take a hint from the Nazi's and get the Chambers ready," you're obviously a massive ******** and your career is done. It depends on how things come across. Am I offended by anything in comedy? Not really. Comedians always seem to go on about the same stuff, I know a few who do nothing but make fun of the mentally challenged. I'm sure that offends somebody, but it doesn't offend me. You need to take some things with a grain of salt.

I used to; I'd like to stress as a joke I would say it to close friends in a comedic situation, for example when they poured beer on my face while I was asleep, I got up, walked slowly into the living room and said, "I hope you all die a horrible death," in a comedic tone, and they broke out laughing. After a friend of mine commited suicide, I won't say that anymore. After that I don't really cross many lines.

I was watching the video where Chris Jericho was on Opie and Anthony, and got really pissed at Jim Norton for making a joke about quadriplegics. What Jim didn't realize until afterwards is that Jericho's mother was a quadriplegic the ten to fifteen years of her life. Jim gave an apology of sorts and that if he'd known he would have been respectful, but also argued that no subject is off limits in comedy. Chris got continually angry, saying that he had warned him and that there are certain things that you can't joke about.

Here's something an interviewer needs to do: Research, Research, Research.

While I think Norton was insensitive, he wasn't aware of the situation and I agree that anything can be funny if the joke is good enough. But that's just my sense of humor- doesn't mean I'm right.

Humour is subjective

My Grandfather died a long and miserable death from cancer. For about six months

I'm sorry for your loss

I took offense to any jokes that involved cancer, or cancer patients. Same occurrence with a friend that died in a car accident.

That's a human tendency. You expect people to share your sorrow over a particular event and not laugh about it. Personal experiences shape who we are, so at that point "cancer" for you meant the death of your grandpa and "car accident" was the death of your friend

But after several months had passed, I regained my sense of humor. While I understand being sensitive to jokes, I looked at certain people in desperate situations and realized that most of them haven't lost their sense of humor.

Laughter is the best medicine

My other Grandfather's in a wheelchair- and he has the best jokes about it.

He's the comedian on wheels

If he can grow a sense of humor about it, why should I be bitter about it? Death and Disability are different situations, but regardless I think that in both there's a difference between making a joke about situations, and directly insulting the person.

I think you are right

Comedy is the free-est form of free speech we have. I never compromise in something like that. Humor should have no boundaries because the art of turning something incredibly tragic and making it into a joke is an art in of itself, even though it might offend some people. At the time Lenny Bruce was doing stand up the "7 words" were almost sinful. Taboo subjects that weren't touched by any other comedian 'cept Bruce. Carlin took that mantle and ran with it. That's the thing with Comedy: It targets the taboo subjects and makes it into something funny.

That said, there's comedy and there's research. Opie and Anthony should have known that about Jericho's mom. If Opie was doing stand up in a sold out crowd and made a quip about quadrapalegic person, people would laugh, because its a stadium of hundreds of people. The statement is not directed at you. For chris, it was, because he was being interviewed.

My dad died in 9/11, I watched it on TV. Today, if someone mentions 9/11 in a joke. I'll laugh. I criticize the middle eastern campaign. With further research, even though I wanted to not believe it, I realized 9/11 was an attack that was incited by the United States due to their relationship with the Mujahadeen (See soviet Afgan war timeline). I still laugh at 9/11 jokes, terrorist jokes, everything surrounding it. I think most people stop joking about things when it stings them directly but what they need to realize is that what has happened has happened and there's nothing one can do about it. They can remember the memories and laugh some, or they can be bitter about it.

I feel that humor should have no boundaries provided its done on stage and is not referencing a particular person with some misfortune and targeting them as the butt of the jokes (celebrities and politicians don't count cause well...they're celebrities and politicians)

If he refrained from making a joke about a Quadriplegic because he was talking to someone whom he knew would be offended by it, then I have no issue with it. But for Jericho to say that some things are off limits is horse shit. You know black and asian people probably don't take too kindly to comedians making jokes at their expense and I doubt Jewish or Christian people are raving about Bill Maher. If you make one subject off limits, you have to make everything off limits. I don't want to hear any bullshit like, "Well making fun death is different than making fun of someone's race." Shut the fuck up. Every one has their own moral code and if some crosses your line of decency, then don't fucking listen to them anymore. I'm okay with Chris being offended and I'm cool with Jim apologizing. But Jericho is flat out wrong if he thinks that making jokes about anything is off limits. By the way, to that muzz-rocks dude- I fucking lost my shit over that Ryan Dunn Macho Man joke. I've been telling it to people all day.

I'm not sure I have any limits, I'm a pretty messed up guy when it comes to humor. Too me, nothing is off limits. But then I purposely won't crack a joke that I know will offend somebody just in an attempt to get a laugh. If somebody just recently went through a tragic moment in their life. An example would be your grandfather. I wouldn't go out of my way to make any sort of cancer wise cracks around you. I do have more respect for people who go through life changing experiences and won't try to be the funny guy in situations like that. I know I recently watched the roast of flavor flay. I forget who but somebody made a wise crack about Benoit saying that Chris Benoit was a better father than flavor flay. That, too me was just in piss poor taste and I found no humor in that whatsoever. So I guess that's where I draw my line..if that makes sense. As far as side, I'm on my own silly side. I don't take sides in comedy. If its funny then its funny, if its not then oh well.

As I've just finished explaining above, if somebody loses a loved one or finds out they have cancer or some other kind of life threatening illness then I will have enough respect for that person to lay off. Its things like that I will not joke about unless I'm sure they are okay and completely comfortable with it. But as I've said, I have a pretty fucked up sense of humor and will find something amusing in almost any type of situation. The only time I back off is when I'm sure it will offend but sometimes you can't be too sure and you cross the line. Too me, its not to offend but it is all in good fun as long as the person doesn't say it in the context where they completely stand by what they said and actually meant it.

The only limit I see is simply making a joke about something controversial simply because it's a hot subject, without a quality joke behind that. I think it's partially pandering and far more reaching than a legit comedian is willing to do. I don't like that.

In terms of subject matter, however, it's all there to be used. Just depends on if it's done well. Still, not all comedy is meant for everyone and that should be fine.

Two things people need to remember about comedy: 1. jokes don't give offense, you have to take offense and 2. most of the time, the joke isn't about the subject, but the person speaking.

When a comedian makes fun of..... let's say... ******ed kids.. the joke is usually about the comedian. Not the ******ed kid(s). The joke is about how stupid a person would be to talk about ******ed kids like that. And how stupid someone would be to not understand the disadvantages these people deal with on a regular basis. Some jokes are mean or mean spirited, but if the comedian doesn't truthfully mean the things he or she is saying, it matters very little.

So long as the intent is to make people laugh.

I don't care what you're joking about, so long as the intent is to be funny and the jokes are well done. I've heard jokes about burn victims, rape victims that make me laugh. Because the joke isn't about rape or people suffering horrible burns. That's what makes people uncomfortable. But the joke itself is typically on the comedian.

A great example of this is a David Spade joke. This was around the time of the JonBenet Ramsey trial/murder. Here, essentially, is the joke...

"You remember reading about that story. I remember I was reading about it in the Enquirer and I remember thinking..... 'JonBenet's not that hot without make up. Seriously... I mean, she's OKay. She's alright. Kind of average, though..... She's talented. Not a stunner."

The crowd was noticeably uncomfortable while soft laughter was scattered throughout. But, was the joke really about the way the little girl looks or that David Spade is essentially playing a character so stupid and insensitive that he judges a dead girl based on her looks?

No, I actually rather hate when people do this. It's a bit self-absorbed, to a certain extent. While it's understandable, I hate doing it and tend not to do it.

You see it in a different form when celebrities suffer from a disease or lose a loved one prematurely and than rally against THAT. As if it only mattered when it affected them. They can only be bothered with it when it's something brought to their attention by way of personal suffering.

If you could joke about something abstract when you weren't affected, then you should still joke about it after it affects you. Otherwise, you're saying that when it didn't affect you, it didn't matter.

I have no limits when it comes to comedy. I will joke and laugh at everyone and everything. Gays, Blacks, Women it doesn't matter to me.

Nope, my grandfather recently died from Lung Cancer and the entire time he was fighting for his life I was making cancer jokes. The jokes and laughter helps me deal with the pain and if I had stopped making the jokes I would have not stopped crying.

This, there are no lines to me, but there's certainly a difference between poor taste and downright unfunny.

Poor taste often = comic gold.

While I was with my last girlfriend I did make sure to steer well clear of abortion jokes, because she hated that shit.

When a friend of mine hanged himself recently I took a good few days off from suicide and strangle-wank jokes. Then again, Gary was a a sick bastard, he'd have probably appreciated them. Fuckin legend. I'm gonna miss that man.

To be Honest there are no limits except where you are. Black Jokes and Harlem dont mix and neither do women jokes with a Girlfriend. Take the Simplest Joke E.G Wanna hear a joke? Womens Rights. Dont say that to Girls unless you know they are more Laid Back. It Depends on the Audience. Gay Jokes at a Gay Rights rally = big No No.

And no to me i dont get Offended by any Jokes as im a laugh at myself kind of Person.

Jim probably should have had some better judgment with that joke. If the guest you are interviewing that you actually respect had a mother who was a quadriplegic, why would you make any jokes about that? There is good taste and bad taste. I don't get offended by any jokes even if they are the usual jokes about pedophilia. Jim Norton isn't funny any way so he has to compensate by being a dick.

When the comedian at the Iron Sheik roast made a joke about how Sheik's career fell faster than Owen Hart, it wasn't in good taste or that funny. I don't think the film crew should have censored him or even an inebriated Scott Hall should have been involved.

Lisa Lampenelli makes racist and homophobic jokes about every race and sexual orientation. Since she is a woman and stands up for gay rights its okay. If Tracy Morgan makes a gay joke then he has to apologize. It really doesn't make sense. The Obama impersonator at the Republican Leadership Convention in New Orleans was pulled because of "race" jokes. When in actuality he was pulled because he made some jokes about the Republican front runners.

The main thing for anyone who speaks is to know their audience. Some people might prefer offensive humor over the next. Brian Knobbs would have been better off if he told his Savage joke to Hogan instead of the rest of the crew.

I don't really have any limits. Life is too short, just make the most of it and have as much fun as you can. Even if it reminds of something sad, if the joke is funny, laugh. Crying wont make anything better, laughing is the way to go! I used to be a serious type of guy and then after a while I became highly insensitive and lost any sense of feeling and since then, although I've become a little more human, I still am kinda lacking the sensitivity some people think everybody needs to have but I definitely have some feelings. If something makes me laugh, I'll laugh at it regardless of how wrong it can be or how much I disagree with it.

I have no limits in comedy. Anything and everything is fair game as long as the joke is good. If it's a tasteless joke just to be tasteless joke, then it's no good. But if it's a tasteless joke and it's actually funny, then I have no problem with it. But if someone is going to make a risque joke about something, they better be ready to face whatever backlash they ar going to receive. They better be able to dish it out and take it.

Is there any experience I have that would keep me from making a joke? No. But I know there are things that my friends are sensative about and I don't want to offend them. You have to know who you are telling jokes to. Just because you're not offended by something doesn't mean the people you're telling the joke to won't get offended. I have no problem with people joking about anything and everything, but I know some topics are sensative to some people and I try to refrain from telling those jokes around them.

I think humor in general is something given by evolution to help us cope with how difficult and ridiculous the world can be. Humor is mostly based in things that are unfortunate, taboo, or ridiculous.

I don't think there are limits in terms of material, but you should be aware of who your audience is. The goal of any joke should be to make someone laugh, if you say something that you know won't make your audience laugh then it is in bad taste.

I believe there are no limits to comedy, if by comedy you're refering to stand up or funny shows, etc. If you watch a comedy show you have to be aware that the basis of comedy is the insult, and that in modern comedy there always has to be a victim, and sometimes that victim might be you or someone you love.

Now if Opie honestly didnt know Chris would take offense to the joke then theres no reason for Chris to be upset. Its their job to be comedians. However, if Opie knew and was trying to piss off Chris then its just downright wrong. If someone doesnt feel comfortable with a joke it doesnt mean you have to stop saying it, but if they're offering you the courtesy of their time then you need to be respectful.

I stopped making fun of people who had bad grades. I used to get really good grades, and I was quite the snob about it. I looked down on others if they failed. One year the circumstances in my life distracted me from my school work and in fact I came really close to failing classes and in fact I failed some important tests. I also dont make fun of diseases like cancer and HIV/AIDS because nobody asks to have that. You could call someone careless for catching an STD or smoking until they get cancer but kids who are born with these conditions arent at fault.

I dont believe there are limits in comedy as any subject at all when done right can be made funny. A great example of this is when Joan Rivers put a joke in her act about women who lost their husbands in 9/11. This was one of the biggest tradgedies in American history and Rivers was able to joke about it without getting one shred of abuse because she was clever enough to make it funny without being insulting or ignorant towards the people who lost a lot that day.

Of course common sense has to come into the equation also.
I dont blame Jericho for getting mad with Norton because it must have looked like Norton was taking a shot at Jericho, out of all the topics he had to joke about when Jericho was on the show he had to poke fun at quadriplegics. It's too much of a coincedence for Jericho to brush off.

When it comes to dealing with sensitive topics in comedy firstly leave a cooling off period first. Like when i mentioned the Joan Rivers 9/11 joke she waited a year to joke about it. She understood people needed time to grieve. Like the OP said himself he was insulted by cancer jokes for the first 6 months but eventually learned to deal with it.
Secondly if your going to joke about a sensitive topic make sure the joke is very funny and very well tought out as it is very easy to sound ignorant and tastless by taking a shot at people suffering from serious ilnesses or diseases.
A lot of good comedians have tried and failed to get a cheap laugh by insulting the ill or disabled only to fall flat on their face.

I have no limits. One thing high school taught me was to laugh at myself. People aren't perfect. They can't guess and we expect them to. A comedian's job is to make the general public around him laugh. He's expecting you to come in and watch him and take the jokes in stride.

I hear hundreds of jokes on Latinos. And laugh knowing they are true. I'm not gonna get pissy for hearing, in a joking manner, a joke about a Puerto Rican being a "border jumper". It's supposed to be a joke. This is obviously opposed to when the person says it in a serious tone. I remember reading on the news about a Texas politician who called Dallas Maverick player, Jose Juan Barrea a "border jumper". Considering it was not in a joking matter, he insighted the wrath of an entire country. But here in the forums, a fellow member pulls off the same thing on me on occasion. I don't get mad. It's just a joke.

There are really no limits in comedy. When it comes down to it, every single joke will offend somebody somewhere somehow. I dislike jokes that offend me or my beliefs, but I still respect the fact that the comedian has the right to tell basically whatever joke he wants due to freedom of speech. I am sarcastic in my humor and will joke about nearly anything in the form of a pun or a parody. I try to be careful not to offend those who are around. It turns into me telling different styles of jokes to different friends. The only types of jokes that I will absolutely never tell are those that make relationships and marriages look bad. The style that Jeff Dunham uses with his Walter puppet. Those jokes offend me more than any other type of joke. So I am on the side that supports freedom of speech and the fact that comedy has no limits, but show some limits in my own jokes.

My philosophy concerning humor is that if you can't laugh at yourself or your life experiences, then I'll gladly do the job for you. If you can't laugh at your imperfections/insecurities, you need to get over yourself. I had a parent have a very serious stroke and has spent the last 10 years recovering. She can't use her right arm. She asked for the Clapper for Christmas.

Pull the stick out of your ass. Making fun of things that are unfamiliar is a hell of a lot better than bringing hate into your heart. Laughter releases endorphins. Hatred creates war. Which side would you rather be on?

What I don't understand is when the mentality came about that in order to be funny, you have to be offensive. I'm not sure when that started, but I sure as hell don't care much for it. I had a debate the other day with someone in a thread, and as part of the thread, they claimed you can't be a comedian without being offensive.

And I remember thinking how fucking absurd that is, and how sad people are to think that's the only way to be funny anymore. How much has the human race regressed to think the only way to be funny is to be offensive?. I've seen plenty of comedians who are funny without having to resort to "cheap" humor. Just as an example, and because I'm a fan, here's a famous comedy routine from Andy Griffith.

There you go. Something which is incredibly funny and doesn't have to be offensive.

Again, something incredibly funny and not even remotely offensive. This idea that things have to be offensive to be funny just boggles my mind, and just shows a complete lack of ingenuity.

As far as what I'm offended by? Not much really. There aren't many jokes that offend me personally, but at the same time, there are jokes which just make me shake my head at the fact the comedian can only be funny by telling the offensive joke.

At the end of the day, I'm far more offended by the offensive joke genre than I am at offensive jokes specifically.

I agree with this statement in part. The only reason I hesitate to fully agree is for that fact that humor is subjective. What one may find funny, others may just roll their eyes at. For example, I have some friends who think Family Guy is the funniest show to grace the airwaves. However, I can't remember the last time I actually laughed during an episode of the show. A lot of their attempts at risky humor are simply shots at shock value with nothing clever to support the joke. But I don't fault them for their opinion, it's cool, I just don't happen to feel the same way.

I've done stand-up comedy a few times and have performed in improv shows that went pretty blue. I delivered a few Thomas Jefferson slavery jokes in Charlottesville, Virginia (Jefferson's hometown) and was greeted with the loudest silence I've ever heard.

I think an important thing for comedians and comedy writers is to understand your audience, as I clearly didn't. You can't be completely oblivious to the opinions of others. This does not mean you have to care, but you shouldn't be surprised if the audience at an NAACP meeting doesn't guffaw at your slavery joke. We have to understand the society we live in is often very sensitive, and in an age when everyone has a blog or a twitter account or a rifle, letting one's feelings be known is easier than ever.

Nothing is really off limits to me. Some of the shit we joke about after a comedy show, with a couple drinks in our bellies has certainly guaranteed us a toasty spot in hell. I don't get offended easily, especially not by humor. I only get offended by humor when it's not funny.

I think the limits to comedy depends on your audience. Your not going to tell jokes about the holocaust to a group of jews(bad example, I know, but you get my point.) You should know who your audience is before you create/use your material and adjust it accordingly to make it fit your audience and thier taste in humor.

I won't stop joking about stuff because of a personal experience because doing so means that you can't move on with your life. To be honest, if it hasn't happened to you, you shouldn't be joking about it in the first place and in most cases you'll come off as an asshole. But if what you're making jokes about something that has happened in your life, it shows that you've moved past it instead of being bitter about it. So what I'm trying to say is that you've earned the right to joke about something if it has happened/affected to you personally. Then again I'm not one of those senstive types who can't take a joke, and are pffened by the smallest and stupidest of things. In our society today, it seems that no matter what you say or do somebody is gonna be offended. You might as well as have a reason to tell them to go Fuck themselves when they try to give you shit for it.

What I don't understand is when the mentality came about that in order to be funny, you have to be offensive. I'm not sure when that started, but I sure as hell don't care much for it. I had a debate the other day with someone in a thread, and as part of the thread, they claimed you can't be a comedian without being offensive.

Obviously, I'd agree that that is an absurd comment. However, they aren't completely wrong. Just like you're not completely wrong when you showcased video clips of videos you claimed were incredibly funny.

It's subjective. So, you can't be wrong. To him, comedians do need to offend to be funny. To you, Andy Griffith is incredibly funny.

Personally, with both of you, I'd disagree.

And I remember thinking how fucking absurd that is, and how sad people are to think that's the only way to be funny anymore. How much has the human race regressed to think the only way to be funny is to be offensive? I've seen plenty of comedians who are funny without having to resort to "cheap" humor. Just as an example, and because I'm a fan, here's a famous comedy routine from Andy Griffith.

I disagree with the notion that we have to have regressed in order to find "offensive" humor interesting. Offense isn't something a comedian or anyone else gives for that matter. You TAKE offense. While the comedian might be pushing buttons, he isn't controlling anything else. You determine how you inevitably respond to it.

Sure, at first, your initial reaction might be one of outrage or even disbelief. However, in the end, you decide whether to take it seriously or not. Chances are, if you're at a comedy show, you'd be wise to not take it too seriously.

I also don't consider it cheap humor. Yes, you can get a laugh with a shit joke. But, you won't build a genuine career that legitimately matters with shit material. You need more. Throughout time, comedians have attempted to be as edgy as possible, it just pales in comparison to the edgy material of today. Still, this isn't a new phenomenon.

And it's not cheap. Most jokes that come across as offensive aren't even intended to offend. The point to the joke is to point out the actual issue at hand, rather than the vocabulary used to bring it up. Still, I wouldn't try to convince anyone to like something.

From professional comedians at a show people came to see? No. Don't go and don't listen if it offends you.

However, in everyday life, yea there are limits. Watch what you say. Be cautious of other people's feelings. If it's you and a bunch of friends then go for it. Personally I'm okay with any kind of joke. I like the Mel Brooks quote, something along the lines of "me falling in a manhole and dying is comedy, a papercut is a tragedy"

Also, this idea that offensive humor is new is bogus. It's been around forever. In the 50s, the corrupt 50s, people were just as offensive, it just wasn't as obvoius because everyone liked to pretend it was this politically correct time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back