• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are Female Rockers Not Getting Enough Credit?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Whenever a band gains any popularity, and features a female, either on vocals, or playing an instrument, the media and music fans alike, tend to say that it's only because there's a girl in the band. They never acknowledge the music, or the woman's talent.

Kittie gained fame rather quickly following the release of Brackish, and almost instantly, they were deemed a one-hit "chick band" with no talent. I, however, am a big fan, and could care less if the people playing the instruments have a set of tits or not. They're lyrics are well written, and they've showed lots of maturity from album to album.

Lacuna Coil is another band that has had a tough time getting past the female in the band. While they've acheived some pretty good underground success, they're not exactly all over the radio, either. Cristina Scabbia isn't even the only vocalist in the group, yet there's a large group of people that feel she's the reason they made it big.

Another band that catches flack for having a female lead, is Walls Of Jericho. They're one of my favorite bands, but every time that I've seen them live, there's a ton of people saying "They're that band with the chick, right?" What I want everyone to do, is listen to them, and tell me if there's anyone that could lead that band better than Candace.

In This Moment is one of my favorite bands, and I've made it no secret on these forums. Their first album got them a measure of success, but they really started to take off following the release of their second album. And then, on every radio interview, the focal point was that they had a hot female lead, not that they were writing music that connected to their audience.

A band that has had pretty good success, but still is having trouble getting past their female lead, is Flyleaf. Their music is some of the best stuff out right now, but people go to the shows to see the girl, not listen to the band. I'm sure the band doesn't mind, because they're rolling in the dough, but I always thought writing music was for the love of it, not for the green in it.

On a smaller scale, Bleeding Through has suffered from having a female in the band. Marta Peterson joined the band as their keyboard player, and the band instantly was booked for tours all over the country. The Truth was a solid album, and easily their best at the time, but they got the recognition because of the girl in the band, who just happened to be friends with Kat Von D.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have a girl in the band. I like it, because it's very different, and has an all-around different sound to it. I just don't think bands should have their hard work overlooked by a pretty girl holding an instrument in a poster.

What do you think?

Yeah i think that they tend to overlook the impact and affect that female lead singers have in comparison to their male counterparts, and i think the problem can be somewhat related to a historical view of rock and all its sub-genres.

Because bands have always traditionally had male leads, with female involvement usually limited to back-up or guest singing, that when people see women, which traditionally would have softer and more dulcet tones, that when people either see that in front of a rock band, or if it isn't dulcet and soft that people can't handle it.

I have friends for instance that won't listen to a band if it has a lead singer, but i feel that what a female lead singer can bring to band, even if just in conjunction with a male back up vocalist, because sometimes the softness is a welcome change to every generic male vocalist in say a metal band.

I hope that female rockers will slowly start to get the recognition that they deserve, and people will appreciate that the difference and what these lovely ladies can bring.

but i feel that what a female lead singer can bring to band, even if just in conjunction with a male back up vocalist, because sometimes the softness is a welcome change to every generic male vocalist in say a metal band.

I agree with all of this. Most of the time, it is a very big change to hear a softer voice over the louder, heavier music. It takes a lot of talent to be able to sing over some that music, instead of screaming, or growling, along with the beat.

I also love the women that can scream. Angela Gossow, Candace Kucsulain, and Maria Brink are all good examples, as is Otep. Except for Angela, the three ladies all mix in clean vocals really well, but their screams are what helped e notice them. They're as good, if not better than most of their male counterparts, and deserve some recognition for it.

I think the biggest thing is look at the bands you had listed there. Now consider the "scene" or group of people that listen to said bands. A lot of people into that kind of music try to buck the trends, and having a hot female vocalist or keyboard player often times gives bands free attention from media outlets. So those people that are elitist bastards say that the band is popular only because of said hot female. It's bullshit really and it's really unfair to those bands that are talented and include a very talented female. I happen to be a very big fan of female vocalists as they give a whole new dynamic to their music.

Walls of Jericho is simply amazing, I remember hearing their first CD a few years ago and was very impressed by them. I did get into Lacuna Coil a bit, but I think they have to cut out the male vocals because I think the male vocalist is holding them down. Flyleaf I've listened to but not enough to form an opinion on. Another band that's not necessarily metal, but has a female vocalist is Boys Night Out. What is interesting about their music is their first CD was without the female in the group, and it received positive reviews. Their next album is when they brought in a female vocalist/keyboard player and suddenly their music became 20x better than the first album.

So to sum it up, I think it's not right to classify a band into a different category just because a woman is involved either vocally or instrumentally. They have every right to be in a band, hell take a look at Janis Joplin or Joan Jett and you can see they gained fame with their bands as lead vocalists back in the 60's and 70's/80's respectively. If it wasn't a big deal then, why is it such a big deal now?

Does Amy Lee count as a 'Rocker'? I'm going tot ake it as she does. I love her music, and I don't think Evanescence are hindered by her at all. I doubt they'd even be a band, as she is by far the most talented of them. Not because she's female, she's just great.

In general, I think it's down to the Rock and Roll lifestyle supposed to be about sex, drink and drugs and people don't visualise a woman as being into the last 2 at least.

Look at the sheer number of mainstream bands that are made up of all males, then look at the number of bands that feature a female in the band doing anything, there simply are just far far far more bands that are made up of all males compared to bands that feature a female in the band, I really don't think that if a band features a female that radio or media or whatever simply don't play them or give them attention for that sole reason, Evanescence and Flyleaf are proof of this, I just think it simply has to do with numbers, there just more all male bands it's just that simple, especially when you look at "mainstream radio friendly" bands

BTW the new Lacuna Coil came out yesterday, and I must say tis a very good album, I've only listened to it once all they through so far but it may very well be some of their best work, I highly recommend it

Reactions: NSL
I think females rockers get pointed out simply because their are still the minority by a large margin. Especially if you are throwing out bands that have female members such as Arch Enemy, Walls of Jericho and Bleeding Through. These bands will never be mainstream because of the type of music they play. Female rockers that play a more radio friendly style of metal such as Evanescence and Flyleaf have had much more success and I think that Amy and Lacey have gotten alot of credit for their talents.

Everyone has made very good points. I'm not trying to single out bands for their success, though. I know Evanescence and Flyleaf have gained some notoriety, and I know a large part is that they play more radio-friendly music.

But, for bands like Walls of Jericho, and Bleeding Through, they're not even getting recognition among their "scene" as a good band. I still go to WOJ shows, and hear people say they're there because of the "hot lead singer". I'm fine with them getting into the band for the females, but I wish they'd like the band for their music.

Seems crazy, but something about it makes sense to me.

Could have something to do with the fact that WOJ and Bleeding Through really don't do anything that makes them stand out from the rest, other than having a woman in the band they sound like most other generic metal bands, loud, fast, and basically just screaming their vocals, I'm not saying they're bad bands I'm just saying there's nothing really all that special about them

But, for bands like Walls of Jericho, and Bleeding Through, they're not even getting recognition among their "scene" as a good band. I still go to WOJ shows, and hear people say they're there because of the "hot lead singer". I'm fine with them getting into the band for the females, but I wish they'd like the band for their music.

I get what you are saying, but someone being attractive is not going to get people to the shows. I talk alot of shit about RVD and Bryan Danielson being hot, but their talents are what I respect. They would be my favorite wrestlers even if they had 3 eyeballs. I also think Phil Anselmo is one of the hottest guys in the world, but that's not what I love about Pantera and Down. Phil's hotness is a bonus to the kick-ass music. Don't let some guy's comment about "a hot lead singer" fool you. They're there for the music.

What a terrific thread. But the classic chick rockers aren't getting enough play. The chicks who influenced the Amy Lee's and the Kittie's, et als.

Pat Benatar remains the definitive chick rocker. Her voice is epic. And even now, at age 56, Benetar can still put on an amazing concert and sing her heart out. She has two multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, and three gold albums. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Heartbreaker," and "Love is a Battlefield" are awesome anthems, and the extremely powerful "Hell is for Children" about the pains of child abuse. Benetar absolutely influenced the female singers of today.

And then there is Stevie Nix. She was a legend from Fleetwood Mac, and had an equally impressive solo career. Nix and Benetar, IMO, are the main event in the female rock-a-mania. She did vocals on "Rhiannon" and "Landslide." Here's a list of female rockers who have cited Nix as an influence: Courtney Love, Michelle Branch, Belinda Carlisle, the Dixie Chicks, Mary J. Blige, Sheryl Crow, Laura Branigan, Sarah McLachlan, Kelly Clarkson, Vanessa Carlton, Georgi Cussick, Tori Amos, Michelle Hotaling, Jennifer Hanson, and Delta Goodrem.

Before we talk about the chick rockers of today, let's raise a glass for those who came first.

[youtube]HtuyYAL-nNY[/youtube]

[youtube]v1qEqsW7D24[/youtube]

Could have something to do with the fact that WOJ and Bleeding Through really don't do anything that makes them stand out from the rest, other than having a woman in the band they sound like most other generic metal bands, loud, fast, and basically just screaming their vocals, I'm not saying they're bad bands I'm just saying there's nothing really all that special about them

While I agree with you on this for Bleeding Through, I can't for Walls Of Jericho. For their first two, yes, you're right. But on All Hail The Dead, With Devils Amongst Us All, and Redemption, they showed a lot of growth, and included a lot of clean vocals. Redemption is some of their best music in my eyes, and it's all acoustic, and has a great cover of House Of The Rising Sun.

What a terrific thread. But the classic chick rockers aren't getting enough play. The chicks who influenced the Amy Lee's and the Kittie's, et als.

Pat Benatar remains the definitive chick rocker. Her voice is epic. And even now, at age 56, Benetar can still put on an amazing concert and sing her heart out. She has two multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, and three gold albums. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Heartbreaker," and "Love is a Battlefield" are awesome anthems, and the extremely powerful "Hell is for Children" about the pains of child abuse. Benetar absolutely influenced the female singers of today.

And then there is Stevie Nix. She was a legend from Fleetwood Mac, and had an equally impressive solo career. Nix and Benetar, IMO, are the main event in the female rock-a-mania. She did vocals on "Rhiannon" and "Landslide." Here's a list of female rockers who have cited Nix as an influence: Courtney Love, Michelle Branch, Belinda Carlisle, the Dixie Chicks, Mary J. Blige, Sheryl Crow, Laura Branigan, Sarah McLachlan, Kelly Clarkson, Vanessa Carlton, Georgi Cussick, Tori Amos, Michelle Hotaling, Jennifer Hanson, and Delta Goodrem.

Before we talk about the chick rockers of today, let's raise a glass for those who came first.

[youtube]HtuyYAL-nNY[/youtube]

[youtube]v1qEqsW7D24[/youtube]

I agree with everything you said. I didn't include them though, because I grew up listening to them (Benatar, Nicks, Heart, Joan Jett, Lita Ford), and never thought they didn't get respect. But, if they didn't, or don't, it's a damn shame.

There's not a guy in the world that hasn't been caught singing Magic Man, Crazy On You, or Barracuda. There's also not a guy that can say they don't absolutely love I Love Rock 'N' Roll.

I can, to some extent agree with this. Although look at people like Janis Joplin, she made an impact. But Doro Pesch is pretty well known when it comes to Rock/Metal, but, even though she hasnt sold say a hundred million albums, she is well known for being the frontwoman formerly of Warlock and obv her band Doro.....

But I think women should be goven more of a chance when it comes to Rock....

X, if you'd be so kind, can you rename this thread for me? Something along the lines of Women In Rock. Please and thank you.

This thread didn't gain much conversation the first time around, but hopefully with a name change, it'll draw some interest.

As far as new stuff to add, I must say that females are finally getting the respect they deserve. I was at MayhemFest on Wednesday, and All That Remains absolutely tore the place down. Not one person was anywhere that wasn't their stage. They controlled the entire crowd, and rocked harder than ever.

Jeanne Sagan is their bass player. She's always done backing vocals, but on this tour, she's handling almost all the heavy screaming, leading me to assume Phil is sick. Back on topic, she was fucking great. During one of their older songs, Home to be exact, she took over for a good minute or so, and the entire crowd roared for her as she finished the part. She's a phenomenal bass player, and got a load of respect that day.

Being the only woman on the tour, getting any respect must be nice, but to have 1000+ cheering you, it has to be something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back