Apocalypse: Celeste Crimson(c)/??? vs. Los Magnificos Dragones-Tag Team Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scene opens to a dimly-lit gym where the sound of panting is prevalent. The cameras enter the gym and we see the familiar sight of El Califa’s gym. The shot quickly shoots over to the ring where we see El Califa standing outside the ring while Amber Warren is inside the ring working up a sweat in a sparring match with one of El Califa’s students. Amber is clearly struggling a little, seemingly having done a massive workout before she got in the ring for a sparring match. Her opponent is a solid 6’2, 220 pound guy and has been Amber’s sparring partner for a while. However, this time felt different.

The two circle each other trying to get the advantage over the other. They lock up and Amber is quick on her feet scoring with a go behind to try and take down her bigger opponent. Instead, Amber simply pushes her sparring partner forward and even laughs at him as he turns around to her as if saying, “What was that all about?” The disrespect shown by Amber clearly shocks El Califa at ringside as he tilts his head, wondering if Amber Warren really just did that. Just then, El Califa turns back to one of his students calling him over.

El Califa: José, sube al ring y mástil con Amber. (Jose, get in the ring and spar with Amber.)

Jose: Pero ella ya está sparring con Manuel. (But she's already sparring with Manuel.)

El Califa insists Jose to do so anyway and Jose can’t do anything but follow his mentor’s command. Even Manuel, who was initially sparring with Amber is a bit confused. Manuel looks to exit the ring but El Califa goes over to him and puts his hand out to signal Manuel to stop. He motions for Manuel to stay in the ring which garners a glare from Amber to El Califa.

Jose and Manuel look at each other and back at El Califa who simply nods his head. They stare at Amber as well but get into their fighting stances. Amber shoots a look at El Califa, completely flustered at the actions of her tag team partner. Nevertheless, she gets into a fight stance of her own. Jose and Manuel both charge at her but Amber takes a step to analyze what to do. Amber side-steps Manuel and scores with a lariat before throwing a high elbow that connects to Jose’s chin. Manuel is first to get up and again charges at Amber but she uses her wit, using Manuel’s momentum to throw him over the top rope. Amber can’t let up though as El Califa send in another student, this time a female named Mia who Amber has grown close with. This keeps going on and just when it looks like Amber has got the upper hand, El Califa continues sending in more students.

Amber does well at first but when there are four other people charging at her, it’s too much for her to handle. The numbers game has finally caught up with her as we see Amber snarling, letting out screams. El Califa looks on as if this is exactly what he wanted to see happen.

El Califa: Deje de parada. Ustedes pueden parar ahora. Bajarse ella. Creo que ella lo consigue ahora. (Stop stop. You guys can stop now. Get off her. I think she gets it now.)

El Califa has sent about ten of his students in the ring with Amber before the numbers game finally caught up to her. After hearing El Califa’s command to stop what they’re doing, they clear out. However, Amber didn’t take too kindly what El Califa just did. Seemingly out of spite, Amber grabs the nearest student, who happens to be Mia. Amber pulls Mia towards herself and connects with a hurricanrana but stays at it to perform the Livewire Stretch! Several students rush back into the ring to try and get Amber off of Mia but Amber isn’t letting up. She screams in rage and so does Mia but in pain of course. El Califa is taken aback at what it happens as he seems frozen at one point before entering the ring himself. El Califa takes Amber’s arm and lock in a standing Kimura Lock! His students back away as Amber has finally let go of Mia who holds onto her left arm and shoulder at the pain caused by Amber. El Califa pulls back on his submission maneuver on Amber but releases it as soon as he sees Mia is safe. Amber is still raging and exits the ring. Her eyes are of the devil it seems as she shoots a glare at El Califa. She pants and pants, continuing her staredown with El Califa.

El Califa: Amber Warren, leave this gym at once. El Califa sees that you are not in the right state of mind and this exercise clearly hasn’t taught you anything. Leave right now before El Califa takes you out himself.

As El Califa started talking, Amber began listening for a brief moment before exiting the gym before El Califa could finish talking. With Amber out of the picture, El Califa goes to check on Mia who is still in pain after that submission maneuver from Amber Warren. El Califa touches her left shoulder blade just a little but it’s enough to garner a scream from Mia. He motions for his students outside the ring to get some help before the cameras zoom in on El Califa shaking his head, disappointed at the actions of his tag team partner.

--

The scene shifts to Amber driving up to El Califa’s villa. She opens the door and slams it hard which summons Nate from the living room. Nate goes to see what’s going on after he heard the loud slam by Amber. Amber sees her brother who has his hands held out motioning what’s wrong with her but Amber just brushes by her brother which enrages Nate as well.

Nate: Hey! What’s your problem?

Amber turns around and looks at Nate with those big, bro, piercing eyes. It seems as if she’s staring a hole through her brother which intimidates even Nate a little.

Amber: You know what’s the problem Nate? El Califa is the problem. You should’ve seen what he did to me back in the gym. I mean, what the hell what was that? Did he want me to get hurt? I see no good reason for what he just did.

Nate: What, what happened? Did he hurt you?

Amber: Don’t act as if you care! You weren’t there Nate. Just like how no one was there for me in my time of need...ever!

Nate: Hey hey, calm down will ya? Just tell me what happened. I’m sure El Califa had a good reason for whatever he did. Just calm down alright? C’mon.

After hearing Nate’s reply, Amber sees a white vase with an argyle pattern holding up beautiful, white lilies in them. Her rage has completely taken over her which is evident when she knocks off the expensive vase off the table. It shatters into a myriad of pieces and Nate stands there just stunned.

Amber: Oh right, take his side. You weren’t even there yet you take his side? Typical. How typical of you Nate. That’s just how things are huh? No one is ever there for me when I need someone. Not El Califa, and not definitely YOU! I HATE YOU!

Nate’s eyes widen after those hurtful words from his sister. Sensing that she may have made things worse, Amber leaves the scene to run to her room. Nate has a sad look on his face as if those words that Amber just spoke out were true. He gets down to one knee and picks up the biggest piece that broke from the vase. He spots the nearby trash can and begins to pick up the bigger pieces before throwing them away. But the story on Nate’s face says it all, broken.

--

The scene picks up in Amber’s room. The young dragon is standing in front of a huge mirror where she looks at herself. With her hair all messed up looking broken and battered, she looks disappointed at herself as well. She looks down, closing her eyes before she begins punching on her head repeatedly.

Amber: Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! Amber, you’re so stupid!

The rage begins to build up in her as tears begin falling down her cheek. She lets out a loud scream to which the scene shifts to Nate who is downstairs finally done cleaning up the vase. He looks up and drops the trash can before running to Amber’s room. The scene shifts back to Amber’s room where she begins crying even harder. Her muffled breaths are a concern for sure but she can’t stop. She looks at herself once again in the mirror before punching the mirror into pieces as well. Shards of glass stay on her knuckles which are evident to the scars that are now seen.

She shrieks as her phone ringtone goes off. Amber calms down a little but her muffled breaths are still prevalent. She gets to her bed and turns her phone on. The text message reads, “Meet me outside the gym in three hours. – El Califa.” Amber puts her phone down afraid of what awaits her at the gym. Before long, Nate comes through the Amber’s door. He sees her sister on the bed not looking too good. He slowly walks towards her but it’s Amber who runs up to him and gives him a long, tight hug.

Amber: I am so sorry Nate. You know I didn’t mean those things I said. I’m so sorry Nate, please forgive me. I’m so sorry.

And so the young dragon shares a warm embrace with her brother Nate who looks concerned about his sister and he should be. Amber begins crying but her breaths are short once again after all the crying she has done. But it seems as though the embrace from her brother has done the trick to calm Amber down a bit. After this kind of mess up from Amber, can the young dragon bounce back?

The scene comes back to outside Califa's gym, Amber Warren pacing back and forth as she awaits the arrival of her partner. Soon a black Escalade with tinted windows and chrome rims pulls up, the bass from the sound system making the ground vibrate. The engine is killed and the door opens and El Califa pops out. Amber looks up to Califa, a look of puzzlement washing across her face.

Amber: Califa, I'm sorry...

Califa walks up to her, his hands behind his back until he reveals his hands, taped up with black tape as if ready to fight. Amber looks at his hands and her eyes go wide for a second.

Amber: Califa...wait what are you doing?

Califa stares her down, tilting his head slightly before tossing her a roll of black tape. Amber fumbles with the surprise toss before catching it. She looks at the tape and then back to Califa, her eyes still bewildered. Califa points to his Escalade and nods his head.

El Califa: You and El Califa shall finish what was started earlier today Amber Warren. Let's go.

Califa turns swiftly and begins walking to the vehicle. Amber rushes up to him and grabs his arm, Califa looks down to her and shakes his head. His voice sharp and pointed.

El Califa: What is it Amber? Perhaps we should finish it here?

Amber: Where are we going?

El Califa: You will find out soon enough. Get in now.

Califa shrugs his arm away and hops into the Escalade, and with a turn of the key the SUV roars back to life. The music is turned down as Amber stands outside, unsure of what to do. The window rolls down and Califa looks to Amber.

El Califa: Now Amber Warren!

Amber snaps out of it and quickly runs to the other side of the Escalade and jumps in, Califa peels out and takes off towards the inner city. He clasps the wheel with one hand, his head staring straight ahead, paying no mind to Amber. Meanwhile Amber has her head down, staring at the floorboard with her hands clasped in her lap.

Amber: Whatever this is Califa I can make up for it. I can apologize to the students tomorrow and we can move on.

El Califa: This is far bigger than that Amber Warren. You blatantly disrespected my gym, my students, and most importantly, your own tag team partner. Teams have broken up over less and I will not allow it to happen to ours!

Amber flinches at the tone in Califa's voice. She knows that if El Califa speaks about himself in the first person then he is certainly serious. She looks up and notices that the amount of street lights have decreased significantly, the quality of the building diminishing with each passing moment. Graffiti tags begin to become more prevalent, shady character standing at each corner. One man looks up from his phone and happens to look Amber straight in the eyes. She shudders as she withdraws her gaze from the window, only to look up as Califa turns down a different road, a large warehouse sitting at the end of it. Chain link fencing surrounds the building, and a number of people seem to be standing around outside. Califa pulls up through the gate and parks, the crowd of people immediately walk towards the vehicle. Califa hops out and motions for Amber to stay put for the moment. A large man with a long goatee walks up to Califa, a baseball bat leaned against his shoulder. The two study each other for a moment before the larger man smiles and laughs, the two clasp hands and an intricate handshake begins. Amber watches from the vehicle until Califa pats the man on the shoulder before turning and motioning for Amber to follow. Amber exits the car slowly and takes off behind Califa.

El Califa: You wonder why El Califa has brought you to such a place?

Amber simply nods her head, her eyes not able to move away from the line of thugs surrounding the warehouse.

El Califa: You will see soon enough. El Califa was just like you Amber Warren. He was the aggressor, running with gangs and fighting anyone that would even look at him wrong. He was young then Amber Warren, he had no control, no focus. It nearly lead to him spending most of his life in prison had he continued down that path. Let's go inside.

Califa steps up to the man in front of the door to the warehouse. The two nod heads and exchange words in Spanish and the man opens the door for them. As they enter Amber looks around, various Mexicans stand around conversing, a dice game goes on in the corner where cash is flashed and arguments can be heard, but the most immediate image is that of a large cage standing in the center of the warehouse. Two men inside are doing battle, fists and feet flying and blood hitting the floor. Hustlers roam the crowd, laying down bets with the audience who are screaming for more blood. A table stands just outside from where the crowd has gathered, too men sitting and taking sign ups. Califa looks to Amber and nods his head toward the table, clearly indicating his desire to sign up. Amber hesitates but Califa pushes her towards the table. He walks up and the two men at the table smirk and shake hands with Califa, again extremely intricate and elaborate in nature.

El Califa: Es bueno regresar chicos. Tendremos tanto firmaremos, pero damos amigo de El Califa aquí el peleador más grande y más malo que llegaras. (Good to be back boys. We shall both be signing up, but give El Califa's friend here the biggest and baddest fighter you got here.)

One man looks over Califa's shoulder and raises an eyebrow as he looks Amber Warren up and down. He turns his attention to Califa and shakes his head.

Man: Usted no puede ser grave homie. Ella conseguirá dobló como una vieja billetera. (You can't be serious homie. She'll get folded up like an old wallet.)

El Califa: Las apariencias engañan, ya lo sabes muy bien. Regístrate con nosotros para arriba. El Califa se llevará el primer partido. (Looks can be deceiving, you know that all too well. Sign us up. El Califa will take the first match.)

The man shrugs and writes some things down on paper before shaking his head.

Man: Es su hombre entierro.

Amber watches the conversation going on, cursing herself for not picking up the words quick enough to keep up. Califa nods and handshakes are exchanged once more when the announcer calls El Califa's name. The crowd roars as Califa leads Amber to the edge of the cage. The door opens and Califa enters slowly, lifting his arm up high and again elicits a cheer from the crowd. Amber wraps her fingers around the cage as she watches intently. Califa's opponent is a man about the same size, his hands taped up as well. The referee signals for the fight to begin and the fighter and El Califa circle around the cage, studying each other's movements. The fighter goes for the initial strike but Califa moves and connects with a quick uppercut, sending the man backwards into the cage. He runs towards the man and uses the cage as a springboard, connecting with an enziguri like kick to the fighter's head. The fighter falls to the floor but Califa doesn't let up, raining down shots from above before motioning for the man to get up. Califa backs up and as the fighter gets to his feet Califa connects with a spinning kick, knocking out his opponent with ease. The ref covers over the fighter to signal the end of the fight and Califa raises his arm high into the air again. The crowd roars as more money is exchanged quickly, the referee helping the fighter out of the cage. Califa takes his place next to Amber Warren and nods his head to her.

El Califa: Quick, precise, devastating. This is what using your force in a controlled manner can get you Amber Warren.

Amber looks up at Califa but soon the announcer is quick to the mic again, calling out Amber Warren's name. She hesitates again and Califa looks down to her, nodding his head. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes before making her way into the cage. The crowd buzzes loudly at the sight of her standing in the cage. She looks around, trying to find her opponent when the announcer speaks again.

Announcer: Y ahora, su oponente, Oscar, El Salvaje, Aguilar! (And now, her opponent, Oscar, The Savage, Aguilar!

Just then a large man makes his way through the crowd, easily standing six foot nine inches tall, and around 300 pounds. Long hair is untied and unkept, a large bear covering his face. He walks into the cage and immediately dwarfs Amber. He stares down at her before his eyes widen and he let's out a blood thirsty roar to the delight of the crowd. Amber backs up a bit as El Califa watches quietly from the outside, his arms still crossed over his chest and not a movement is made. Amber's eyes widen as she stares up at the beast before her. She looks to El Califa for help but he shakes his head to her, motioning for her to fight. The ref signals for the fight to begin and The Savage goes right towards Amber. Amber turns towards him and quickly rolls out of the way, using her speed to her advantage. He rushes towards her again and she slips out from underneath him, delivering a hard kick to the leg. It doesn't phase him at all as he turns around slowly, laughing loudly.

The Savage: Es eso lo mejor que tienes pequeña? (Is that the best you got little girl?)

Suddenly a hard right to the stomach and a left to the face has Amber sprawling across the floor. She holds her stomach and coughs, blood trickling down the corner of her mouth. The Savage roars once more and lifts his arm up, playing up the crowd as Califa lowers his head. This is exactly what he had intended for his partner. An opponent with a physical prowess much greater than her own. She would need to learn what her new found aggression could do. The only way to learn how to channel it right, was a fight to survive. Amber pulls herself up to the surprise of the crowd, wiping the blood away from her mouth as she stumbles a bit. The Savage turns back towards her and growls, rushing towards her again. Amber waits patiently and suddenly goes low, sending The Savage forward face first to the mat. He turns around but Amber now let's out a roar of her own before dropping down blow after blow from above. The Savage tries to cover up to no avail as Amber yells out after each strike. Finally he shoves her off as he holds his face but Amber isn't done. She goes right back after him, a kick right to the knee sends his leg back awkwardly and he drops to one knee. She brings her own knee up to meet his chin, dropping him to the mat once more. She jumps at him but he counters, getting Amber the ground for strikes of his own. The impact is devastating, even with Amber covering up. The ref looks to wave off the fight but Amber yells at him not to. The Savage doesn't stop but Amber grabs his arm and quickly wraps her legs around it and with surprising strength flips The Savage over and locks in an armbar! The Savage yells in pain as Amber uses all her strength to pull back on his arm, refusing to let up on the pressure. However her opponent is too strong and slowly gets to his feet, lifting Amber up with his one arm and ramming her back first into the cage. She finally let's go and drops to one knee as The Savage grasps his arm in pain. Amber steadies herself before running to the cage, jumping off of it and in position for a huracanrana. The Savage counters however and tosses her up into the air, hitting the top of the cage with the back of her head. Amber lies on the ground, holding the back of her head as she writhes in pain.

El Califa: You cannot fly in a cage Amber Warren. Rely on your instincts and what El Califa has taught you!

As she hears these words from her partner, a switch flips inside her and she grabs her opponent's leg and wrestles him to the ground. She begins delivering knee after knee to The Savage's face, blood begins pouring from his face as rage takes over her. The Savage suddenly goes limp and Amber let's him go, his face hitting the mat as the crowd is stunned to silence. Amber stands up and limps away and finally the crowd begins cheering loudly. She drops to one knee on the other side of the cage, holding onto it with one hand. She lowers her head as she breathes in deeply, but the crowd roars again as The Savage slowly pulls himself up to his feet. Amber grits her teeth and her face contorts into that of anger that the monster won't stay down. She stands up and delivers a picture perfect kick straight to the head, sending the big man sprawling across the cage. The ref finally waves the fight off as Amber walks around the ring, yelling to the crowd as they cheer her on. Suddenly the sound of the cage door closing can be heard and Amber turns around and right into El Califa, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

El Califa: You face me now Amber Warren. Do you understand why he brought you here now?

Amber stares a hole through El Califa before poking him in the chest with her finger, clearly angry at the whole ordeal. Blood drips down from her forehead, her hair matted with it as well.

Amber: Is this your idea of punishment El Califa? You drag me out to the ghetto of this damn city and feed me to the wolves? For the enjoyment of these people?

El Califa: These are MY people Amber Warren! These are the people that he has struggled to survive with for many years. The people that supported El Califa throughout his career! And these are the people that will support us at Apoclaypse. No Amber Warren. This is your final lesson.

Califa suddenly throws a quick jab but Amber ducks out of the way. The speed of Califa's strikes are suddenly increased dramatically, Amber had never seen him throw this fast before. She does her best to duck but each punch begins to graze her with each successive attempt.

El Califa: El Califa is proud of this new found fire inside of you Amber Warren. But you have no control over it! It must be used in bursts and when necessary. What you did at the gym showed him everything he needed to know. Hurting those that cannot defend themselves with this violent streak inside you is not the answer! You will be no better than Celeste Crimson and I will not allow you to become another bitter and torturous soul like her!

Califa continues to press the assault, but as it continues Amber slowly begins picking it up, avoiding the attacks easily before throwing her own. The combinations continue without anyone gaining the advantage.

El Califa: Without control Amber Warren, you becoming exactly what Steven Holmes is. You believe yourself to be the best, and that you must prove it inside the ring. Every single opponent you will ever face will think the same way. If they do not, then they have no business fighting for the very thing we strive for, championships and glory. Yet we fight for one other thing Amber Warren that Celeste Crimson does not!

Califa suddenly pushes her back with a front kick, no damage done but enough to create separation. Amber paces back and forth in front of Califa like an animal stalking her prey.

Amber: And what is that El Califa? Honor? They show no honor to us, why do we fight for it ourselves then?!

She lunges at Califa but he side steps her, only to get caught with a kick to the midsection. He backs away and deftly dodges her attacks yet again.

El Califa: We fight for honor because without honor, you are nothing but a thug! You are above that Amber Warren, you are destined for greatness but you must not fall to their level! Is this what you want to reduce yourself to? Fighting in a cage like a trapped wolf for scraps? No Amber, We are Dragons, and we will fight just as glorious as they do!

Califa catches her fists and pushes her back once again. Amber lowers her head, breathing heavily as she reaches up and wipes away the blood. She looks down at her red coated fingers. She nods her head slowly and looks up to El Califa only to see him not where she thought he was standing. Suddenly she finds her airway constricted as Califa stands behind her, catching her in a choke hold. She struggles against it but Califa leans down and whispers in her ear.

El Califa: Let's go home Amber Warren. Tap and this will all be over and we can leave.

Califa slightly loosens his grip just enough not to hurt her but Amber nods her head, lifting her hand to tap when suddenly she elbows Califa off of her. Califa stumbles backwards and is met by a spinning heel kick. Califa hits the ground but gets up quickly. Amber speeds around him before catching him with The Livewire Stretch! Califa struggles against the hold but Amber again keeps it locked in tight. Califa stops struggling and suddenly taps out. Amber doesn't let go, knowing how he escaped so easily before. Califa struggles again before yelling out in pain and tapping frantically before Amber finally let's go. The crowd cheers her on as Califa sits on the ground, holding his arm as Amber gets to her feet. She raises her arm up to the crowd who responds in kind before turning to El Califa. Califa has his head lowered but looks up as Amber holds her hand out to him. She nods her head to him and he nods back, clasping hands with her as she helps him up. She immediately hugs him and he does as well She whispers to him just so he can hear.

Amber: Come Apocalypse El Califa, that's going to be Celeste Crimson tapping out.

Califa listens intently before nodding his head, whispering back to her.

El Califa: And we shall take flight once more Amber Warren. The Dragons shall rule over the tag team division, our souls burning brightly through the darkness in WZCW!

El Califa slowly pulls away from Amber and exits the cage, holding his arm slightly as Amber looks around at everyone cheering for her. She finally smiles and claps her hands as she plays up to the crowd. Califa meshes into the crowd, only to clap his hands in celebration for his partner while watching on as the scene fades to black.

The events of that day kept repeating over and over again in my mind. Everything had happened so quickly that I didn’t even have time to stop and think about it. We were at Ascension 72, and Steven and I had been facing off against Titus and his mystery partner. While I really was clueless about the mystery man’s identity, Steven wasn’t. The whole night I had listened to him carry on and on about these conspiracy theories like a lunatic. When David’s music hit my mouth dropped open in surprise, but Steven’s hadn’t. Glancing over I could see he wore a wild smile as if he had been expecting this the whole time. I wasn’t; the thought of those two powerhouses banding together against us made me very nervous. After Titus and I had tussled for a bit I took a break on the apron to watch my beloved take his turn against his old rival. Early on I could tell that something wasn’t right. Steven hadn’t been feeling all that well for the past few days. And even though he hadn’t bothered to tell me anything, I could tell. I had decided to give him an earful after the match. Showtime locked in an abdominal stretch and right away I could see Steven’s body lock up. Seconds later he began to cry out in pain.

He recovered and hit a neck breaker, but then his body locked up and he fell to the ground. He cried out in pain once more as Showtime quickly applied a submission. He quickly began to scream in agony as he tapped. I entered the ring and rushed over to him as he clutched his lower abdomen. He barely had the strength to call out for help as I yelled for the medical team. They dashed to the ring as Titus and David gave us some room. They gave him a quick look over before deciding to escort him from the ring. Once on the outside I supported him as the medical team helped me get him up the ramp. The entire time Steven could not tear his eyes away from David. He continued staring a hole into his rival until Showtime blasted Titus in the face with the microphone. Amidst all the pain I could see a hint of what was a small smirk on his face.

Once in the back the doctor on call had examined Steven and had found his condition to be much worse than expected. He had reason to believe Steven’s appendix might have become inflamed. It had been his recommendation that he be rushed to the hospital for evaluation. Everything after that became really blurry. I only remembered bits and pieces of the dash to the hospital, Steven being admitted, and the doctor there confirming my fear that Steven would need to undergo an emergency appendectomy. I was scared. This lifestyle of always traveling and performing without ever being able to fully recover our health had been taking its toll on both of us for a while. And this was the last straw. I waited in the emergency room for hours, even though they felt like weeks. All at once these thoughts began slamming down on top of me like the weight of a giant boulder crushing my head. I felt like my heart was going implode and collapse inside my chest. And just when I was reaching the end of my sanity the doctor approached us. The surgery was a success and Steven was going to be fine.

When I was finally allowed to see him he had fallen asleep. I spent the night in a chair beside his bed and it was all I could do to force myself to sleep. I awoke the next morning to the sunlight pouring into the window directly across from me.

“You’re finally up.”

I looked up to see that Steven was now fully awake.

“You’re awake,” I said with surprise. “How long?”

“A little after dawn; I didn’t feel like going back to sleep. Watching you sleep has helped passed the time.”

“Why didn’t you wake me?”

“I couldn’t do it. I figured this must have been really hard on you so I let you have your rest. Plus you look hot when you were curled up snoring away.”

I shuddered, “I must look like a train wreck.”

He shook his head, “No, you’re beautiful.”

I smiled and leapt up from the chair and went over to hug him but I stopped short remembering his situation. Instead I looked down out him with pity in my eyes. He shot me a grin.

“Hey now don’t give me that look. Even something like appendicitis isn’t going to stop me.”

I wasn’t budging. This was not the kind of injury that someone could just bounce back from so easily. And with the constant traveling and physicality we encountered on a constant basis, could he even have the time to fully recover properly?

“I know what you’re thinking and you don’t have to say anything. Last night before I went into surgery the doctor had mentioned that this would put me out for a while.”

“But what about our tag team title match at Apocalypse? If you can’t compete then surely they’ll have us vacate the titles.”

He growled. It wasn’t really fair. “I suppose I could try and persuade Bateman to let us hold the titles until I’m recovered enough to defend them with you; however, that might require a silver tongue that I just don’t have right now. What do you want to do?”

I mulled it over for a second or two.

“We worked so hard to earn those titles that it feels like a waste to just forfeit or surrender them with no fight.”

We stood in silence without really knowing what to say to each other. I knew that Steven would not be able to compete by the Apocalypse. And that meant the titles were either going to be up for grabs or I’d have to find a replacement partner. This was a little too much to hash out at the moment, so I decided to talk with Steven about it later. Despite his absence the WZCW machine was still going to keep moving, and if I wasn’t careful I’d find myself left behind too. With a heavy heart I said my temporary farewell with the promise to return that weekend. I left the hospital in Ireland and flew from there to London where the WZCW officials and the rest of the brass were having a conference. Upon my arrival Big Dave greeted me warmly. True to his professional nature he did not let his past issues with Steven stop him from expressing concerns over his health. I thanked him and followed him to the conference room with both titles in tow.

The men got straight down to business right away: Steven Holmes was injured, and was going to be out indefinitely. This meant that Magnitudinis was not going to be able to defend against the new number one contenders, Los Magnificos Dragones. Vance Bateman was the first to speak.

“Although unexpected Steven Holmes’s injury has left us with quite the problem, what should we do about the tag team titles? Personally I am favor of simply vacating the titles.”

I eyes shot open. One grunt in suit had the idea of vacating the titles and doing another tournament to decide Dragones future opponents. Another suggested that I be allowed to find a new tag team partner, with the titles being awarded to Dragones, but with me still retaining my rematch clause.

“What about allowing me to simply find a new tag team partner until Steven is healthy enough to return?” I asked.

Bateman shook his head. “That request is against protocol. Other tag teams have requested the same thing but we’ve shot them all down on the basis of it violating their contract.”

“But this isn’t the same thing. Steven wasn’t fired or suspended. He was injured! He was forced to take a leave. Surely that must count for something?”

I watched as Bateman scrunched up his old wrinkly face before answering with a resounding no. I was going to respond but Big Dave held out his arm to calm me down.

“This is a special circumstance Vance,” he said. “What is the harm of allowing Magnitudinis to hold onto the titles until Holmes is well enough to make a return?”

Bateman folded his arms, “That isn’t what’s best for business. Los Magnificos Dragones is hot right now, and if we don’t capitalize on that then we may lose the support of the fans.”

I scoffed, “Best for business? Magnitudinis is still the number one team in the company. Vance, please. Let me find a partner to replace Steven. He’s only going to be out for eight weeks, tops.”

He shot me a devious grin and leaned forward. “That’s not what your contract says though. Magnitudinis is Steven Holmes and Celeste Crimson, not Celeste Crimson and a temporary replacement. The answer is no, and that’s final!”

I snarled and slammed my fist on the table, “I’m just a big of a star as Steven! If he can’t compete with me and you boneheaded creative drones won’t allow me to have a partner then I’ll defend these titles by myself!”

We stared at each other, locked in a showdown of wills. The room became a little hotter as I noticed some of the other creative grunts were beginning to sweat. Steven was right. Sweet-talking Vance Bateman would require a silver tongue, one that I didn’t have. Oh god I wished Steven was here to put this old geezer in his place.

“I think might be a good idea,” said Big Dave, wedging himself between us before our tempers could explode.

“Celeste could defend the titles in a handicap match the same way Saboteur did.”

Bateman relaxed and sat back in his chair, and began to laugh. I clenched my fists into balls and stared daggers at him.

“But that only worked because Saboteur is one of the best draws in the company. Celeste Crimson,“[/COLOR] he paused, “is not.”

“Don’t look at me like that my dear. You are undoubtedly the best women’s wrestler in the company right now but you aren’t the best among both sexes. People paid to see Saboteur because the man is a hero, but what are you? Some arrogant alley cat that has lost more big matches than she has won, and if it weren’t for the former WZCW champion Steven Holmes carrying you, your career would have been over long ago!”

His words burned me as his finger pointed at me in ridicule. Each stressed syllable was a lash that struck me in the face repeatedly. I backed down.

“And people expect you to be able to defeat both El Califa Dragon and Amber Warren by yourself? That’s nonsense.”

“Dammit Vance your disrespect for this woman is uncalled for. Celeste may not be the best wrestler in the company, but she’s certainly among the top ten. The fans know it, and all the wrestlers backstage know it. Throughout the history of this company there hasn’t anyone like her, and even though we’ve got other women working for us now she’s still managed to retain her autonomy. She’s the best novelty WZCW has ever had, and will ever have, and that’s the truth!”

I was shocked to hear Big Dave of all people stand up for me. Bateman was taken aback as well. Big Dave’s words seemed to linger; me, the greatest novelty wrestler that WZCW has ever had? I was flattered but at the same time was mildly offended.

“Let her defend the titles by herself Vance. The fans are not going to count her out, and neither are Los Magificos Dragones. It is not fair to the number one contenders to just hand them the belt after all the effort they’ve put into making it this far. And it’s not fair to Magnitudinis because Celeste is still here willing to defend the belts in a proper match.”

“It doesn’t matter if I have a partner or not, I want to fight. Not just for Steven, but for myself and everything that we’ve accomplished.”

I had to interject, and I was grateful to Big Dave for going to bat for me. I watched as Bateman pondered and sat back in his chair. Suddenly he came to a decision.

“Really Dave these titles should be vacated. Steven isn’t here so technically Magnitudinis is crippled until he can make a return, but I don’t want to give those belts to Dragones either. Fine Celeste, defend the titles in a handicap match if you must, but we’re billing you a partner, because novelty or not, your name alone just doesn’t strike the terror that it used to.”

I glared at Bateman and shot him the most intimidating look that I could muster,“Then I guess I’ll just have to return to the old Celeste, the one that did, just this once.”

After another standoff he relented, “I guess you will. Otherwise you won’t survive Apocalypse with those titles intact.”

I breathed a sigh of relief as the meeting finally came to an end. I turned to Big Dave and shot him a grateful smile. As we all turned to leave I couldn’t help but wonder just what this was going to mean for me. The “old” Celeste, I pondered. She was gone. In many ways, I was at my very strongest years ago when the fed was smaller and there wasn’t much competition. I had never utilized any of my potential. Now everywhere I look there was some new talked about talent creating waves within the company. And when that wave met the waves of another up and comer the result was a tsunami that created a shockwave that could be felt in all directions. I feared that I’d further embarrass myself because if one of those waves hit me then I’d surely drown. Gone was my confidence. I knew my place now, and so did my opponents. The truth was I was much stronger now than I used to be, and I knew that reverting back to something weaker was pointless.

Once more; I could push hard and deliver one more time. The “wow” factor that had always been missing surely had to reach the mark this time. If it didn’t then Steven and I would lose everything that we had fought so hard to achieve. Oh, the sacrifices that we both made. They seemed so insignificant months ago, because back then we had each other. And now that Steven wasn’t going to be around to support me I felt myself becoming full of regrets. I had to travel back to Ireland to see him again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------​

That night I slept in a motel and didn’t get a flight back until the morning. I made it to the hospital that afternoon. Steven was already looking better, but I knew he was still in no condition to leave. As soon as I entered the room his eyes shot up, but then he quickly looked away. I approached him and took a seat on the seat next to his bed and draped the belts across the top. He turned to me with optimistic look.

“How did the trip back go, did you miss me?”

“It certainly wasn’t as lively that’s for sure,” I responded.

Then I smiled and told him how his one time rival Big Dave had not only asked about his health but had defended me. Needless to say he was quite surprised.

“What about Bateman?”

I stopped and reflected. Steven’s smiled disappeared.

“What did he say? If he disrespected you I swear I’ll…”

“No! I’m defending the titles against Los Magnificos Dragones by myself. The company is only billing me a tag partner for added suspense.”

He raised an eyebrow, “By yourself?”

I nodded, “That’s correct. It was either that or we’d have to vacate the titles.”

He shook his head, “That’s what I was afraid was going to happen.”

“But it’s alright babe. It won’t be easy but I’m sure I can win. I was giving myself a pep talk on the flight back so I’m ready to go! Don’t worry; once you recover Magnitudinis will continue to move forward and…”

He had already drifted off; his head was tilted the opposite direction.

“Steven?”

He turned to look me in the eyes with a look of insecurity on his face. It was startling because I had never seen him do this before. Steven was the type of man that was secure and confident in everything that he said and did, so I had no idea what was wrong.

“Look Celeste, we have to talk. I don’t really know how to say this but…”

He took a deep breath and placed his hands to his side. I stood and walked over to his side.

“I’ve been a wrestler for a long time. I’ve travelled and have seen all sorts of sights. I’ve been the Elite Champion, the WZCW world champion, and a two time tag team champion. I have faced many opponents, made a few enemies, and even found love when I thought all that remained was hate…”

He reached out and grabbed my hand before continuing.

“… but now I think it time. Time that I moved on.”

I was confused; I had no idea what he was talking about.

“What are you talking about, time to move on from what?”

“This isn’t my first injury Celeste, but it’s first that’s required major surgery. No doubt it was brought on by stress and the fact that we’re on the road all the time my body’s starting to break apart. While you were gone I began to think about this, and I want to retire as a pro wrestler.”

I gasped and jerked my hand by as if someone had tried to stab it.

“I don’t understand what brought this on. Is it something I did?”

I was starting to get emotional and worked up, but Steven quickly lifted his arm to calm me down and the process winced in the pain from moving too quickly. I stopped and stared down into his eyes. His beautiful eyes that always seemed to comfort me whenever I needed them were doing that just now.

“I don’t want to suffer another injury like this again. And I feel that if I keep going my body will break down even more. I’ve already spoken to our lawyers and have forwarded my letter of resignation along with a document detailing the termination of my contract.”

The weight of his words were just now starting to hit me full on as I leaned over his bed to brace myself. I was starting to get teary eyed. So just like that the glorious run of Magnitudinis was coming to an end. Everything that we had accomplished together, was it worth it to throw it all away?

“Listen love, I don’t mean to upset you. This was my decision to make.”

“But what about us and the tag team titles? What about Magnitudinis?!”

He sighed, “I care about all of that, but we’ll still be together won’t we? Just not as much, you still have your career to think about.”

“I don’t care about my career!” I shouted.

“Not unless you’re there by my side. The only reason why I stuck around through all my failures was that I had finally found something worth fighting for.”

He shook his head, “No, I got you to join me because of your skills, but I never thought I’d actually fall in love with you. That’s why I was still happy when I lost the world title because I still had you. And that’s what really mattered.”

I started to cry, “Joining you gave the will to continue, Steven. I was happy and having fun. If you aren’t there then what will I do?”

“Please don’t fight for me Celeste, I’m nobody. It’s thanks to you that I turned out to be somebody in the end. Fight for yourself this time.”

“How can I? Bateman was right. I’m nothing compared to you. I’m not all that talented and I have nothing going for me other than the fact that I’m a novelty women’s wrestler. My reputation has been so damaged over the years that hardly anyone takes me seriously anymore. You were everything that this tag team had to offer! I was nothing! I am nothing! I don’t why I even bother to carry on!”

*Whack!*​

And then suddenly my emotions reset. I looked down as Steven lowered his trembling hand. My hand grazed the spot on my cheek where he had lightly slapped me. I stared at him in a daze.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t have the strength to yell over you.”

“It’s alright Steven. I don’t know what came over me. This is a little too much. I love you. I don’t want to be away from you. The lives we lead as wrestlers will take a hard toll on everyone around us. It’s because of that lifestyle that my ex-husband left me and I can no longer see my son. I’m afraid of losing you the same way I lost him.”

I dried the rest of my tears as he smiled. “I will never leave you, Celeste. It doesn’t matter to me if you decide to keep wrestling or not but I’m prepared to take the next step with you.”

He reached down under the sheets and pulled out a red velvet box. Immediately my mind went blank and my eyes became as wide as saucers.

“I was planning to do this after we retained our titles at Apocalypse, but with the unfortunate circumstances I figured there was no time like the present.”

He opened the box to reveal the most beautiful engagement ring. It was a red colored diamond set between four smaller blood red rubies. I opened my mouth to speak, but I was completely awestruck.

He grinned up at me with that sly smile that I’d come to love, “Celeste Crimson, will you please do me the honor of marrying this soon to be decrepit old fool?”

I smiled brightly as I took the ring from him, “Yes, Steven!”

At that moment I was so happy that I couldn’t think about anything else. I reached down and hugged him the best I could, and then we embraced. The kiss we shared ignited the passion and drive I felt had been missing. The satisfaction was perfect, and I was still awestruck. He slipped the ring on my finger as we admired it together.

“Can I see my title belt please?”

I grabbed the belt off the bed and laid it across his lap. I draped mine over my shoulder as I continued to admire my new ring.

“Two pieces of gold and a diamond ring. It’s not quite how I picturing the moment, but to see them all together at least once is great. In a way it’s rather sad to think what could have been if things in the company had worked out differently.”

We both turned away. There was no use thinking about what-could-have-been’s now. I turned back to Steven.

“Well my King how should we celebrate?”

“The fact that at Apocalypse my dear Queen will defeat the ruffians knows as Dragones in the name of Magnitudinis.”

And so began the coronation of a queen. I knew what I had to do. There was no time for petty self loathing. I had to be willing to lay it all on the line one last time. Because I was at a crossroads where the odds at stake far outweighed mere gold or pride, I needed to put my love on the line. Not the love I had for Steven, but the love I had for this business and being a wrestler. I needed to place my career on the line.

--------------------------------------------------------------​

Coronation of the Red Queen​

I found myself alone in a dark room with no windows and a door hidden by the darkness that surrounded me. It was almost so suffocating that I suddenly felt myself fighting the sensation of being drowned. And then suddenly I could see. Flames erupted around me igniting two giant lanterns. I was sitting on the throne that my King had presented to me on Ascension. I looked down to find that I was dressed in my ring attire and I was wearing my new engagement ring. I gazed out into the sea of darkness, hoping to address my subjects that were listening on the other side.

“It’s no longer a secret. The King is dead. Long live the King. But the Queen is still here, and I will not rest until I accomplish exactly what I’ve set out to do.”

I gestured to the tag team titles that were draped across each arm rest. I grabbed the one to my left and laid it across my lap.

“There are some that believe that at Apocalypse that I cannot defend these belts on my own. Magnitudinis is not dead, and I am determined to prove to everyone that believes that the enemy will be victorious at Apocalypse is mistaken. I am still more than capable of taking care of myself.”

I shifted my weight and crossed my legs looking down on all the lowly commoners that groveled at my feet within the darkness. I could see their faces as they fought blindly; their hands clawing forward just for the opportunity to touch my throne. Their bodies were of ash and smelled of soot and grime.

“This is an address from WZCW’s new Red Queen. To those that underestimate me I say be gone! May your flesh be burned by my very touch, so that you may see the folly of your words. To those that would oppose me I will smite thee upon thy own canvas and drag your corpses back to my throne as an example to the rest.”

Slowly, like a rising bird of prey I rose from my throne. I spread my talons wide, holding both titles within my grasp. As I made my decent the eyes of the peons shrieked in madness as my mere presence caused many to shrivel up and die on the spot. The mark of war was upon my brow. The sea of darkness became like a raging inferno, the air became so hot that anyone not bound to my will would gag and begin to choke if they were standing that close.

“The King and I worked tirelessly to win these tag team titles. They represent Eden, our paradise, and the flames are a symbol of my will to keep those that would besmirch our achievements out. Call me Uriel if you must. I alone stand against the would-be conquerors that want to take these treasures away. I will not go down without a fight! I stand ready to put them on the line.”

The sea began to churn, warping the space around my throne.

“And those that have earned the right to fight for these titles are have become deluded. They think that because the Red Queen stands alone without a King that she will go down easily. And to that I laugh in their faces. Who are they to intimidate me? Their petty words mean nothing. Their futile attempts to pump up their egos mean nothing. What they haven’t realized is that Magnitudinis isn’t just some ordinary team. It is a symbol of unity. Even if I stand alone I still have Steven beside me in spirit. His strength will become my sword. His speed will become my spear. And his stamina will become my shield. He has bestowed upon me all the tools that I need to win, and I do not fear defeat.”

I took the title belt from my shoulder and held it up high. To me this was no longer a trophy, but a symbol of my very essence.

“Los Magificos Dragones. These belts are still firmly in my grasp and there they will stay. What you have failed to realize is that while I stood united with my King neither of us reached the full potential we had together. For all your efforts the two of you merely stalemated the two of us. You never fought us at our full potential. But come Apocalypse I will show you both what that potential looks like. Even though there’s just one of me, my heart beats with the rate of two people!”

The flames within the lanterns began to grow brighter and brighter until they exploded. The sea of magma became even more violent than before.

“Amber Warren, you are still young and naïve. You have never fought me at the peak of my determination, so I will be sure to leave a lasting impression and show you the size of the shoes you must fill should you ever decide to follow me after this. El Califa Dragon, I know you well enough to know that you’ll be the man that I have to take out of the equation as soon as possible. The two of you are like dogs that need to be put down, for dogs can take down nearly anything when working together. The Red Queen is also a hunter. I am smart enough not to engage you both at the same time.”

I walked back towards my throne and the raging fires kept burning. This is was not the picture I had been hoping to paint. But it was the only thing that I had that had been symbolic enough to be meaningful. Some feared the flames as a godlike entity, while others relished it for the destruction it caused. As for me I could not feel the heat, so the entity meant nothing to me. I placed my hand on the mahogany.

“With the blessings of my King I march forward to slay the both of you. At Apocalypse I will make sure that you both experience the fires of Hell. Follow me if you want, but end the end we’re all going to burn.”

I turned around and laughed at the absurdity.

“Would it bother you to have the flesh melted from your bones as your organs liquefied? To me it wouldn’t matter as I wouldn’t feel it. On that day I will not be defeated. I cannot be defeated. I won’t stand for such injustice!”

I stamped my foot onto the ground and then suddenly everything disappeared. I was standing in a whitewashed room with a dim light hanging overhead with my throne placed in the center. The lone door was to my rear. The fires were nowhere to be seen. I climbed up and took my seat back on the throne.

“Don’t let this illusion fool you, because it’ll be nothing like the real thing. You two may think you may know me well enough, but really you don’t. I gave my King my word that I would not fail, and together we would be victorious. But that was before he left. And now I have something more precious to put on the line than just pride. My King gave up his career, and entrusted me to with his spirit so that I could defend what we fought so hard to achieve. And now I will do the same.”

I took both titles and clutched them both to my chest.

“I can only see one way to atone for my constant failures of the past, and if that bad luck should follow me into Apocalypse then I vow to retire. I am not long for this world without my King by my side. My heart is already heavy enough and if this should be my final hour then I am prepared to go out fighting.”

I leaned back into my chair and sighed. I soaked up the moment, and all the adrenaline following through my body in anticipation. Never before had I felt such elation, and it was all due to the fact that this was now my chance at a defining moment. To put the last explanation point on my long career. In the back of my mind Steven’s words continued to echo. And he was right.

“Los Magnificos Dragones, at Apocalypse you will try to win. But you will fail. The team work that you have won’t be enough to overcome my determination to win. United you will stand, but divided you will fall.”

I draped the titles across the arm rest of the throne. I held out my right arm before making a slashing gesture across my throat, signaling the end of everything. In one last act of defiance I held out my hand and pointed my thumb downwards.

“The Red Queen has sentenced you both. Now off with their heads!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back