• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any gimmick matches at Wrestlemania this year?

Rckstrtmmy

Yabba Dabba Bitch
Now for the past few years we really haven't seen any good gimmick matches at Wrestlemania. I get that it's all about the one on one matches typically, and a match like HHH/Undertaker will stand on it's own and interest people. But what about something like putting Orton and Punk in a steel cage? Obviously they could do that to keep the Nexus from getting involved and such. Could probably do the same for Cena/Miz so Riley isn't involved and it could let Miz use his wily ways to retain, otherwise I'm pretty sure everyone thinks Cena will just overpower him. I know the WWE is high on their gimmick ppvs (which I hate), but some of these stories are tailor made for a gimmick match of some sort. I also think that it can help add a little more excitement and intrigue to the current card. Now this is just one example but what do you guys think?

Should there be gimmick matches at WM this year?
Do you think gimmick matches can help at all?
If so which angles work best for which gimmick match?

Haven't had a steel cage match (hell in a cell doesn't count) at Wrestlemania since the only one at Wrestlemania 2. Which actually makes me wondering why.

But they'd have to make a good structure to hold the cage and lower it, or do it the old way and bring it out and build it.

WWE also rarely uses big gimmicks (triple threat isn't that big of a gimmick) at Wrestlemania, since it is usually the first match for the title in a feud. (Cena won the title at WM 25, lose it next month in a last man standing match. Or Edge/Undertaker matches in 08 after their fist match at Mania 24).

Wrestlemania 22 was the last one that had a ton of gimmicks, and before that it was mania 17.

Also remember they'll totally have rematches at Extreme Rules, where everything is a gimmick.

What about money in the bank? :wtf:
I think it would be cool to see a TLC match with Alberto Del Rio vs Edge. It would allow weapons and maybe outside interference from Ricardo Rodriguez and Christian. It would really put over Del Rio having him beat Edge in his own match. Imagine Ricardo getting speared through a table :).

I've always enjoyed having a gimmick match at WrestleMania along with the Money in the Bank.

I think 1 is the perfect number because it can mix things up because singles match after singles match gets a tad repetitive. Having two or three gimmick matches gives the card that level of diversity I think that it really needs. Lets look back on prior WrestleManias.

WrestleMania 26 - MITB and McMahon vs. Hart(No Holds Barred)
WrestleMania 25 - MITB, Hardy vs. Hardy(Extreme Rules) and if you count it, Jericho vs. Legends
WrestleMania 24 - MITB, JBL vs. Finlay(Belfast Brawl) and if you count it, Big Show vs. Mayweather
WrestleMania 23 - MITB and if you count either of these; Hair vs. Hair and ECW Originals vs. new Breed
WrestleMania 22 - MITB, Edge vs. Foley(Hardcore), Taker vs. Henry(Casket) and McMahon vs. Michaels(No Holds Barred)
WrestleMania 21 - MITB, Big Show vs. Akebono(Sumo Match)

I think gimmick matches are needed at WrestleMania as well as Tag Matches and Triple Threats, etc. You don't want too many plain singles matches and the gimmick matches break them up and spread them out adding much needed diversity.

As far as what gimmick match should take place this year, I was hoping for a Last Man Standing between Triple H and Sheamus (which would have been billed as a Last King Standing Match). But now that that isn't happening, I'd have to agree with you for Orton vs. Punk in a Cage match. Championship matches don't need it, Triple H and Undertaker are big enough to not need a gimmick match and having Orton and Punk in a cage makes their rivalry seem more personal. The cage makes sense as far as keeping them in the ring and Nexus out of it and it would be an historic event as it'd be the second ever cage match at WrestleMania.

Other than that, I know it'd never happen but I'd love to see a United States championship open, similar to the cruiserweight open at WMXX. You have maybe half a dozen guys in the match, they all get to have their WrestleMania appearance as well as a title shot. I'd have Daniel Bryan(obviously), Sheamus, Ted DiBiase, Tyson Kidd, David Hart Smith, Mark Henry and William Regal. You can start out with the Harts, give them a small showdown and work your way out until it ends with Sheamus vs. Bryan.

I think that Orton vs Punk have the best chance of being in a gimmick match. Whether its a Steel Cage, Lumberjack, I Quit or Street Fight, the bout stands a pretty decent chance of being in a gimmick match, especially with The New Nexus watching Punk's back. IMO, singles matches after singles matches after singles matches is a bit of a bore, evident in last year's Mania. Gimmick matches definitely can help, especially when Orton vs Punk in a pure singles match don't sound like it will be the perfect ending and resolution to the fued.

I'd like the Undertaker-HHH match to be last man standing. No career vs streak stipulation. Plain and simple I don't want HHH's career to end at Mania so I think this would serve as a great alternative. This is a match that they could really draw out a bit and make you wonder with. I can imagine the suspense even now, watching either man try to beat the count back and forth. They could use weapons, which always means the sledgehammer could come out.

MITB is a must at WM. They've had one every year so far right? Why change a good thing? This has become one of my favorite matches at Mania. You get to see a lot of crazy spots and it adds some real excitement to the show. I would be looking forward to John Morrison winning this one. I don't see how it could go any other way really. It just feels like the right time for that.

Punk-Orton in a cage would be a great one too, I agree with everyone on that for sure. I always dig cage matches and I'd imagine these two could put on a nice one. My one request though, is that they use the old cage. You remember the blue one with actual bars? or the Black one? I don't care for the chain link fence one. You already have that for the HIAC, so the cage should be different. Bring back the old one for this match and shock everyone with that alone.

I'd say since you are pretty much guaranteed a MITB match giving you one gimmick match already, one of the two others up there would suffice to give you a little added flavor. You've still got Edge-Del Rio, and Miz-Cena to play with too, you could put some crazy stipulations on either of those. They have a great opportunity to make a great card this year. Let's hope they give a little more action.

I definitely think that Punk vs. Orton will be some sort of gimmick match.

At the very least, no countout, no DQ. I'd like to see a steel cage match or hell in a cell to keep out Nexus but that's not going to happen.

What's more likely is a last man standing match or "I Quit" match.

If Randy Orton v.s CM Punk is gonna happen (which at this rate, it will), it should be at least a No-Disqualification match. Both men will be able to take advantage of the added use of weaponry because all in all, both men are no strangers to them. It would also give much needed brutality to their match because I believe a simple one on one match would be far less intriguing to watch. Plus, with the stipulation of no-DQ's, it will allow Nexus to get involved in the match at some point.

The only gimmick match needed at WrestleMania is the Money in the Bank ladder match.

I think with WrestleMania, they need to stay away from a lot of gimmick matches. WrestleMania 25 with two matches with ladders, Money in the Bank and Hardy vs Hardy was the limit with gimmick matches with weapons as I feel WrestleMania should be all about straight up wrestling talent and putting on awesome pure wrestling matches and leaving all the hardcore gimmick shit until Extreme Rules a month later.

There's no other matches so far which need a gimmick either, all the matches will be fine as straight up singles matches.

Yea I agree MITB is a great gimmick match, but theres no guarantee there will be one this year because of the ppv just 6 months or so ago. I personally feel 3 MITB winners are too many. And its just such a lazy way to push people to the main event. I don't think there should be another one. Even tho John Morrison will likely win which would be great, but he has enough talent and crowd support to get to the main event all on his own. So just keep in mind that there's not a MITB match announced for WM yet this year.

Richard had just touched on this fact and I agree with him on the fact that there is a reason why you don't have too many real complicated gimmick matches at Wrestlemania and that in my mind is because this is the biggest PPV of them all! It is where young talent can prove themselves, and veterans can do the same with a little less pressure. As a fan, I want it to be as even as you can make it. And to be honest, while for some it may be the opposite, I think gimmicks almost take away some of the intensity of a match. Because what I think is cool is that both men are going for the same thing, there is only two ways you can win and they're going to have to fight until they have nothing left to get there. With things like cage matches, you have the door and in No DQ matches, especially now with the "crackdown" on weapon use and things, you can get the fans just as into it without the stipulation. However there is one match I don't mind as much as the others and that is the one on one ladder match between two even competitors because it never is just a two minute match and while weapons are allowed and everything, very few wrestlers end up using them, not including the ladder itself. The Hardy match worked strictly because that is what they've both been doing for years and because they are probably better in a TLC match than in a regular match, well Matt is anyways, and it is sorta just expected of them. Randy and Punk don't need stipulations or gimmicks, they're talented enough to draw the fans in with their moveset alone.

With Punk/Orton you can have a gimmick match with No Holds Barred, I Quit or something like that and just add some stipulation if Nexus "inteferes" then they will disband or someshit. You dont need a steel cage to keep out interference. You have Extreme Rules after Mania so it wont be a big loss to lack a major gimmick match (triple threat or tag team doesnt count). Steel Cage or Last Man Standing is for after Mania as far as Im concered.

Have there ever been any truly great gimmick matches at 'Mania? I can't think of any.

WM should be about displaying what WWE does best - matches with good storytelling and drama. Gimmick matches are better used to add spice to lesser PPVs. Would Michaels/Undertker or Steamboat/Savage have been better matches if they had a gimmick added? I doubt it.

Adding gimmick matches would just turn 'Mania into just another WWE PPV. And we really don't need that.

Have there ever been any truly great gimmick matches at 'Mania? I can't think of any.

WM 10, Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon - Ladder
WM 12, Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart - Iron Man
WM 13, Steve Austin/Bret Hart - Submission
WM 15, The Rock/Steve Austin - No DQ
WM 2000, Hardys/Dudleys/Edge & Christian - Ladder
WM 17, Hardys/Dudleys/Edge & Christian - TLC & The Rock/Steve Austin - No DQ
The MITB series

That said, excluding MITB, gimmick matches should only be done when they make sense, as they did in all of the above cases. Otherwise, it comes out sloppy and pointless.

They have some stip matches for 'Mania. They have Money In The Bank hopefully. Streak vs Career for HHH vs Undertaker. The stip for Punk vs Orton is the whole "Nexus interfering". I am sure there will be a stip for Rhodes vs Mysterio as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back