• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An Old School Gimmick that would not work in present day

Disturbed

Championship Contender
Title pretty much covers it.

Are there any gimmick that was over years ago but would not be over in present day?

I am not really sure if the Ultimate Warrior's gimmick would be over in today's time. His promos were very cartoonish and his matches sucked. I just don't think the fans could get behind him. With WWE focusing on kids in the PG era, some kids might like him but it would be hard for a regular fan to get behind Warrior.

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake's gimmick, in my opinion wouldn't work today either. I mean, who in the blue hell would want to cheer for a barber? It seems very boring and cartoonish like Warrior's character. I just couldn't see a kid or an adult cheering him if he was face.

You could run off a list of dated gimmicks that wouldn't work today.

Nikita Kolloff (The Russian Nightmare)
The Southern Boys (southern rednecks who still think it's the 19th century)
TL Hopper (plumber, oh wait, do these gimmicks have to had been over when they first came out?)
The Yamazaki Corperation (A Japanese corporation buying up the good talent)
PY Chu Hi (an American turncoat who sold out to the Japanese)
Val Venis (only because it's PG now)
The bWo (cause "nobody" would get it, although a group that just did parodies of other wrestlers would work)
New Jack (only because it's PG now)
PN News (a white rapper.............oh wait)
Outback Jack (right, I forgot about TL Hopper.....)

etc, etc

kamala, would not work for the simple fact that there are more promos cut more than ever, and to see a man slap his belly for 10 minutes would not work. can you imagine if he were to open up a raw segment, it might be classic

Cena's promos are somewhat cartoonish and his matches suck so maybe The Ultimate Warrior would work in the present day. If the WWE are going to move more and more away from the attitude/hardcore era then I would like them to revert back to the over the top, larger than life, colourful cartoonish characters of old. I think a good character gimmick can at times outweigh in ring ability..aslong as you can pull it of well and entertain. I'm worried the WWE want to move closer to MMA and amateur wrestling styles and cut out most of the make believe stuff. I have nothing against MMA but I would watch that if I want to see that sort of thing (They need to find a balance)..I think Cody Rhodes as gone up many levels since being a cartoonish gimmick to run with..granted he does have some in ring talent too. I think many Old School gimmicks would not go over too well today.. The Boogyman for example is a gimmick that could have been taken straight out of the early 90's (papa shango?) but it did not seem to go down too well.

I am not really sure if the Ultimate Warrior's gimmick would be over in today's time. His promos were very cartoonish and his matches sucked. I just don't think the fans could get behind him. With WWE focusing on kids in the PG era, some kids might like him but it would be hard for a regular fan to get behind Warrior.

Come on Disturbed. I think this is the most bullshit statement I've ever heard. The Ultimate Warrior's gimmick wouldn't work in today's time? The facepaint, stringy boots, colorful rainbow colors, the crazy style, his physique, I mean what more do you need? This gimmick would work perfectly in today's era. Just think how much he could sell. How many kids you think would wear the strings and facepaint? If you ask me, this gimmick is what's missing in today's era.

I think old school gimmicks could still work today and in fact would make the product better. The way it's headed right now everyone is starting to be the same... Kozlov for instance should be more like nikolai volkoff than every other wrestler. I personally hope they go back to the gimmicks just not the stupid ones like the plumber etc. As for the Warrior... he could absolutely work these days... it wouldn't be the gimmick that's the problem it'd be the lack of muscles haha... but warrior as he was back in the 80s could definitely come out today and still be a top favorite

Title pretty much covers it.

Are there any gimmick that was over years ago but would not be over in present day?

The adult fans do not get behind Cena, but they are not the WWE's target market now. The kids are. And Cena (who cannot wrestle a good match, and is cheesy as hell) is the young fans biggest star. The fact some older fans may not like Warrior would not stop WWE from pushing him to the moon.

The kids would love his superman-esque physique (just like Cena), they would dig his crazy promos...and he wears facepaint and stands out. They would also love that too. The Warrior did not do anything in his promos that was not PG, he talked a lot of crap but he did not cuss or do anything innappropriate. He would definitely be able to do the gimmick today.

Vince loves a big man, Warrior was a big man and Warrior would appeal to the young fan base. I know if I was 10 years old and saw a jacked up man with facepaint like Warrior screaming and shaking the ropes and then Gorrilla Pressing other massives guys, I would think he was cool as hell. I do not think I would be in the minority either. Batista was as ripped as Warrior, and ended up copying his idea of shaking the ropes. Was he over? Yes he was.

The WWE would do HUUUUGE business in Warrior masks in the shape of his makeup, tassles for the kids arms, or actual Warrior make-up etc. He would be a merchandise machine. The reason Cena has not turned face, and Mysterio is still around is because Vince knows the value of these guys when it comes to bringing in the dollars. Kids buy anything with these wrestlers faces on, and if Warrior would appeal to the kids, then he would be a face with a massive merchandise line. Just like Cena and Rey.

The fact that Vince pushes Cena and had major plans for both Lashley and Batista shows that match quality is not his biggest concern. Money is. And Warrior in PG era WWE would make it, in bucketloads. He would be Champion without a shadow of a doubt.

Come on Disturbed, you are better than this

I don't think a I.R.S. gimmick would work at all today. With them going after a young folks who don't know anything about taxes, this would go over their heads. Also in my mind I can picture a handful of people who wrestled on Superstars in the mid 90s. I can't remember names, but I guess they were never over.

I want to say an undertaker-like gimmick but idk half half on that one.

Thinking about it I can hardly remember anyone though a Rock or Stone Cold gimmick could go over but it would be harder since the swearing has to be taken out and no beer drinking.

I think the only gimmicks that actually wouldn't work would be ones that don't fit in with the PG rating. They would have to be watered down quite a bit..like Stone Cold, Val Venis, The Rock and a lot of the Attitude Era gimmicks.

I do not think any of the ridiculous "job" based gimmicks such as Duke "The Dumpster" Drose, The Goon, Repo Man, Brutus The Barber Beefcake or The Godwinns would get over today.

The characters today are much more cookie-cutter, all just playing the part of wrestlers, not workers who happen to find themselves in the ring one day and keep dressing in their work attire?! The older fans want more realistic characters, not over-the-top gimmicks like them. While these may be popular with some younger fans, there has to be a balance and introducing gimmicks like these would not be a good idea right now.

I was just thinking about this yesterday when watching Royal Rumble 93 and barbarian gimmicks like The Berserker, Warlord, The Barbarian are the first to come to mind.

Honky Tonk Man- It worked because we had a frame of reference, most of our parents listened toElvis, had his photos and records so we knew who his gimmick was based off of. Kids these days really have no frame of reference and would be unlikely to get it.

Evil Russian gimmicks- It didn't work with Kozlov and doesn't work anymore. There's no longer a serious threat from Russia and kids wouldn't get it.

The American Dream Dusty Rhodes- I don't just mean polka dots guy, Dusty's entire common man persona wouldn't work in this era. For it to work in 2011 he would need to be a 130lb vegan pulling up to the arena in his electric car and would need to cut promos on how he's being exploited by Vince McMahon
and plans on unionizing the WWE.

Junkyard Dog- How many kids these days knows what a junkyard is? How many of these kids parents do? Would go over their heads.

Cowboy gimmicks- Outside of a few pockets of fans and fans in Texas most kids wouldn't get it.

Andre The Giant- The kids would love him while being scared to death of him, the IWC would rip him apart for not being a 98lb spotmonkey.

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake- How many kids these days know what a Barber even is? I guess maybe if you named him Supercuts Salamicake it may work.

Demolition- Sadly I don't think my boys would make the cut. Horror movies aren't quite the spectacle they once were, the media has buried metal music and the kiddies wouldn't understand the gimmick.

Miss Elizabeth- A quiet, elegant female manager? Sadly no dice I don't think.

Attitude Era gimmicks wouldn't work in the PG enviroment, but I they could still work if WWE decided to go that route. If WWE did decide to go that route I don't think the Undertaker could be recreated. I was going to say UT period but since the WWE is PG I think they could pull it off.

Whoever said job gimmicks is right on the money. I don't understand how IRS ever worked.

Will we ever see female characters like, Trish Stratus(T & A Era), Steph(**** Era), Kelly Kelly(Expose era), lol, probably not although those were the days.

I think most of these things only go for WWE, I wouldn't put anything out of TNA's realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back