American Football Discussion

Larry

Getting Noticed By Management
I don't know how many of you are Football fans or how into it any of you are, but there is no time of year (other than Ramadan) that I look forward to more than that special time when NFL Football returns and commands the undivided attention of the nation.

In the off-season so many teams have improved, so many big moves have been made, everyone should be geared up for an amazing season of NFL football. From the Peyton Manning saga, to the most recent T.O. resurrection, there's been no shortage of stories and development to keep the starved fans chomping at the bit to finally see these iron-men take the field and play what I feel in the greatest team sport in the world.

Even in this first week of pre-season football there has been so much buzz surround the league, every little nuance regarding what's happened in these games that don't even count on the official record, and so much excitement in general; it's hard not to get pumped up as the reality sinks in that football is back.

I will be revisiting this thread to discuss varying topics surrounding the NFL, different games, breaking news, etc... And please feel free to come in and start some discussion yourself about whatever peaks your interest with the NFL. It is an open discussion so whatever it is, chime in. We'll chop it up, share our thoughts, and hopefully have some healthy and entertaining discussion.

As promised I've come back to talk about some of the recent developments in the NFL and look back at this last week of football.

*One of the latest stories to break that you may or may not have heard about revolves around none other than Chad Johnson (formerly Chad Ochocinco). Late Saturday night he was arrested for domestic assault against his wife, having apparently head-butted her during an argument that started in the car on their way home after a receipt for condoms was discovered in the vehicle. It's not clear as to who supposedly bought the condoms as both have accused the other as being the perpetrator. Johnson initially plead to police that he did not actually head-butt his wife, but that they did clash heads during the argument, then later said she actually head-butted him, with his wife obviously saying he intentionally did it to her. In light of these recent events, the Miami Dolphins have released Chad Johnson whose NFL career is now hanging in uncertainty.

* After taking the field for the first time with the Indianapolis Colts, Andrew Luck already has critics and experts lauding his performance and singing his praises after a promising showing against the St. Louis Rams. Luck scored a touchdown off of his first pass in the post-Manning offense, and successfully lead the team to a 38-3 stomping over the Rams giving many a positive outlook on the future of both the Colts and their new star, Luck.

* The New York Jets have enjoyed much attention after acquiring Tim Tebow in the off-season, but their debut against the Cincinnati Bengals probably made them wish the attention was aimed elsewhere. During training camp this past week fights broke out amongst the team two days in a row, showing signs of distention between players to add to the problems in NY. The Jets couldn't get their offense going much to the misery of QB Mark Sanchez and Time Tebow, scoring no touchdowns and managing only 6 points with a combined 48 yards on 14 attempts. The Bengals did not exit the game unscathed however, as they lost 4 of their starters in the first 20 minutes to injury.

* The debut of the Washington Redskins newly acquired top draft pick Robert Griffin III (RG3) was what many would call a great success. The young QB combpleted 4 of 6 passes against the Buffalo Bills defense for a total of 70 yards, and looked comfortable and poised in doing so. Things weren't as cheerful for the Bills however, as neither Vince Young or Tyler Thigpen proved effective at QB and had trouble hitting their open receivers. The Redskins won 7-6.

* Peyton Manning took the field for the first time after full year of absence from the NFL with his new squad, the Denver Broncos, in a promising showing against the Chicago Bears. The promising part was that Manning carried the same kind of command over the offense that was his trademark in Indianapolis, and his arm strength looked to be good. His first and only drive of the game however ended with an interception from Bears defender Major Wright after slightly off target pass was tipped by teammate D.J. Moore. The Bears still lost 31-3 despite this good start, and none of their top talents played in the game.

* Don't forget to watch the Dallas Cowboys take on the Oakland Raiders Monday night on ESPN as well. This should be a good game and give us at at least a glimpse of what we might be able to expect from both teams in the up-coming season.

Keep watching for more news as the pre-season continues.

I think this season is a tough one to call. A lot of teams have improved, divisions are a lot closer than last year, and there are a lot of unpredictable factors like injuries, losing streaks, divisional competition, and whatnot that may come into play leading a team that would otherwise likely go to the playoffs to fall off. This is my best guess as of right now. I will release this in 2 parts. One for the NFC, one for the AFC.

NFC North - I find it hard to say the Green Bay Packers don't win the division since they did dominate last year going 6-0 in the division and 15-1 overall. However as a by-product of that success, they are largely the same team while the others in their division have improved. Detroit and Chicago were 3-3 in the division, but with both teams improving this year I see 2 teams from this division going to the playoffs no matter what. Division play might determine which team does, but as of right now I'd have to give the nod to Chicago because they have a very complete offense now and an always dangerous defense. I would like to say Detroit as I have been a big fan of their resurgence, but they do have a suspect secondary, they get penalized a lot, their schedule is harder than it looks at first glance, and I don't know if they'll be able to win games by simply out-scoring other teams if they can't stop them from scoring effectively enough.

NFC South - This division is probably the most cloudy of all from my perspective. You've got the Saints who are a giant question mark right now honestly. We won't know if they are still the ass-kickers they've been until we see them in full swing. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta are all easily poised to be stiff competition and solid contenders. If Carolina's defense improves even just a little bit and Cam Newton delivers the same kind of performance he did last year; I feel sorry for the other teams in this division, but they might just get off lucky this season because Carolina has a NASTY schedule and will have little room for error. Tampa Bay added some vital weapons in the off season and Josh Freeman is set for a comeback year. The Bucs have put together a pretty well rounded team on paper, and if they play smart and disciplined, they could definitely make a run at the playoffs. Atlanta is the team that many are probably looking to to be a make-or-break team this year, having shown glimmers of greatness but never sealing the deal. The playoff picture will likely be between them and the Saints, and in that battle I have to give the Saints the benefit of the doubt.

NFC East - This is MY division as I am a lifelong Cowboys fan. This year is going to be as competitive as ever. The Redskins with RGIII at QB will likely be a better offense, the Eagles are going to be tough as usual but their season rests on Michael Vick staying healthy and the team finally gaining some group cohesion, the Giants are going to have a tough time keeping at the top if they are to do so as everyone else has vastly improved while they haven't for the most part, and the Cowboys have made a lot of changes that we don't yet know the outcome of. This division is full of so many question marks the Riddler would be envious. I think this division will have 2 teams go to the playoffs like the NFC North, but it's hard to say who. My prediction is that it's all going to end much like last season. It's going to be a dead heat down the stretch with no true front-runner, or a revolving division leader. All four teams play within the division in week 17 with Dallas vs Washington and Philadelphia vs New York. These two games will determine who wins the division, or the second wild card team. I think Dallas will beat the Redskins to clinch the division, while Philadelphia will beat New York in an upset to gain the wildcard spot.

NFC West - The NFC West will be more competitive this year than in seasons past, but I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that San Franciso will be the clear winner here. St. Louis, Seattle, and Arizona are all improved and you will likely see just that, but the 49ers are far and away so much better than the competition it's hard to imagine that any of these other teams could actually beat them for the division. Arizona and Seattle have QB issues, underrated but not top notch defenses, weak offensive lines, and depth issues. St. Lois is a team in recovery being rebuilt by Jeff Fisher. Sam Bradford is still developing, this team is still getting its pieces together, and they are just not a complete team yet. Give it a couple years though, and they will be a serious divisional threat.

NFC Wildcard - As I stated earlier I think we'll see the two wild card teams coming from the NFC East and North because they have the most high powered teams. It is very possible that the NFC North produce 3 playoff teams and you see the Packers win the division, with the Bears and Lions taking both wildcard spots, but I wouldn't bet on it. I expect the Bears to eek out a wildcard spot, as well as the Eagles. If that isn't it, that it will be the Lions who slide into the wildcard spot, and the Cowboys. I don't think the Giants are going to be able to "Forest Gump" their way through this season, and I don't think they'll be have the luxuries afforded to them that they did last season with the Cowboys late game breakdown, or the Eagles in ability to work together. I think this season, those two teams will bring it all together and be what they were last year but failed to live up to, both better than the Giants. Meanwhile, I think the Bears misfortunes of injury might well be past them, which is the only reason they didn't make it last year. This time around, I think they are more hungry and ready to make a serious run at the Super Bowl.

Early on, I'm convinced Andrew's middle name is "Beginner's". As for Ochocinco, that's more fans than he has right now.

...Trying to watch what happens with the new Browns owner, who (last I checked) owned a small piece of the Steelers. (Wanna know who he sells/gives it to, etc.)

Also wondering if/when Pitt will re-sign Wallace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back