• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ambrose Cracks The Top 5, Though It's Bittersweet

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Today marks the 265th day of Dean Ambrose as WWE United States Champion. He's currently tied with Ric Flair for having the 5th longest reign in the history of the title. Flair's 2nd run began on April 9, 1978 and lasted until December 30, 1978, losing it to Ricky Steamboat. As of tomorrow, Ambrose will take the 5th spot for himself and move the Nature Boy down to 6th.

However, it's unfortunate that Ambrose's run as champion has been marred with infrequent defenses of the title. JBL & Michael Cole touched on that during commentary this past Monday on Raw, as they were discussing that Ambrose is the longest reigning champion in WWE at the moment. Ambrose's last defense of the title took place on October 27, 2013 at the Hell in a Cell ppv, retaining the title via countout against Big E Langston. So, it's been about 10 weeks since Ambrose last defended the title and, unfortunately, it's going to lower the credibility of his reign. It's not his fault, of course, but that doesn't necessarily change anything.

That title isn't long for this world, so I don't think it really matters. Ambrose brings up that he's the longest reigning champ in WWE/5th longest reigning U.S. Champ (though he isn't in my eyes because the title Falir held is different to the WWE one introduced in 2003) and babyface, maybe Big E. points out how little he's defended it. A feud is born.

It is difficult for him to defend it as he has always been doing stuff as a 3 man team and rarely works solo but I think his reign has run its course and I think he should drop it 1 of 3 ways
1. Lose it to Bray on the go home show for Elimination Chamber
2. Lose it to Reigns in a triple threat match at Wrestlemania with Rollins in the match aswell
3. Lose it to Big E in a unification match at Wrestlemania

Great, but like you said really doesn't mean shit because of how infrequently it's defended.

Only thing that can make the IC and US titles important again would be to unify them in a Ladder Match at WMXXX and create the USIC Title.

Through no fault of Dean Ambrose's, the title's credibility has been damaged. It's difficult to carry a singles championship in a stable, especially when that stable's focus is three-on-three matches. Triple H and Randy Orton managed it as part of Evolution because the group's dynamics was so that they had a main eventer (Triple H), a mid-carder (Randy Orton) and a Tag Team (Ric Flair and Batista). The Shield works with them all on the same level, making it difficult for Ambrose to defend the US Championship. I hope he drops it soon not because I dislike Ambrose but because it would be better used in elevating another talent like Bray Wyatt, Damien Sandow or Fandango. Congrats to him on the long reign, though. However, it doesn't mean as much as it should.

Actually it's 6th.

Ambrose - 266
Windham - 283
Koloff - 328
MVP - 343
Rude - 419
Luger - 523

Anyway, the reign doesn't really mean all that much. The title has had the same problem for years: the writers stop caring about it and the champion never defends the thing. I've forgotten that Ambrose was champion on more than one occasion because he never puts it on the line. THrow him out there in an eight minute match with Kofi or Ziggler every now and then and the title will mean something. As of now though, even if he breaks MVP's mark of longest WWE reign, it's really just a line on a resume and nothing more.

The main problem is see is WWE have added an 1 hour to Raw, 1 hour show Main Event and 1 hour show Superstars and still we get no mid card promos or feuds. When was the last time Langston, Ziggler, Rhodes, Kofi, Sandow, Uso's etc had the chance to walk out to the ring and cut a promo on their current situation, a rival or anything. The only one of the men above who have had any form of feud was Rhodes when he battled the Shield which had a good story behind with good promos and better wrestling. I will add that as I see The Shield and Wyatt's as the Number 2 and 3 heels in the company respectively I class them as main events so them getting promo time is not surprising however I will add they only get about 2 minutes a show if that. WWE added an 1 hour to Raw and filled it with highlights, advertising their services and unnecessary matches when that time should be used to build feuds and have good promos

The main problem is see is WWE have added an 1 hour to Raw, 1 hour show Main Event and 1 hour show Superstars and still we get no mid card promos or feuds. When was the last time Langston, Ziggler, Rhodes, Kofi, Sandow, Uso's etc had the chance to walk out to the ring and cut a promo on their current situation, a rival or anything. The only one of the men above who have had any form of feud was Rhodes when he battled the Shield which had a good story behind with good promos and better wrestling. I will add that as I see The Shield and Wyatt's as the Number 2 and 3 heels in the company respectively I class them as main events so them getting promo time is not surprising however I will add they only get about 2 minutes a show if that. WWE added an 1 hour to Raw and filled it with highlights, advertising their services and unnecessary matches when that time should be used to build feuds and have good promos

I agree. Less about that damn WWE app from Michael Cole, more promos! With this app though, and WWE.com, a lot of post-match interviews with mid-carders/tag teams/divas etc just get shoved on there.

There's only need for one mid-card title, just like there was only need for one world title. Maybe removing one of them, or unifying them will remove the curse. Anybody who holds one of those belts goes from moving up to stale because WWE doesn't write stories for those belts. Big E is the latest victim of this. He was moving on up, now he's stuck to that belt.

The only reason Ambrose has managed to avoid it is because he's part of the Shield, and people can easily forget that he's champion. Otherwise he'd be suffering just the same.

I wouldn't be adverse to a different kind of title though, not a general one but one that pertains to a specific sub-sect of the roster. In TNA,the world - legends/global/? - x division title hierarchy works well in theory because they can mostly be won by anyone but all instil a different ethos. The ethos for the mid-card titles in WWE is that holding them means you are a mid-card wrestler, forgetting guys like Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Bret, Shawn, Austin, Rock who've all been so prestigious that they were in competition to the world title when they held the belts.

It needs to be viewed as the second most important title in the company. Anybody who isn't right in the world title picture should be aiming to get that belt. A third lesser and more specific belt would further define wrestlers so that it's clear that a Heath Slater is totally outclassed by a Sheamus. Perhaps having the NXT title appear on Raw or Smackdown once in a while to showcase the king of the rookies would work.

Either way, one of them belts has gotta go. Preferably the US title because Ambrose can afford to lose it and it's the less traditionally prestigious from WWE's viewpoint. Them maybe the IC belt can start being regarded as the belt for guys that can't be world champs, and more those that have potential to be.

Credibility in a work? A-buhhhh? Bittersweet for whom? He's getting paid while you're having a sad about his infrequent defenses.

The US Title unfortunately is doomed sooner than later. I do forget time to time,that Ambrose is the champion,its not his fault that the writers dont care about the titles history. Its a given that Ambrose is gonna Pass MVP as the WWE's longest reigning champion. Its a title that needs to be unified with the IC title rather quickly. I think the only reason why Ambrose hasn't defended it,is because the WWE has basically decided that there going to unify both mid-card titles.

Theres only room for one mid-card title. It will make the IC title mean something again as the NO2 title in the company the way it should always be. But his reign,means almost nothing its just a footnote but its not his fault! Ambrose is a fine wrestler i wish they had something for him as far as defending the US title goes

why does the us title have to be doomed. i would love to see ambrose defend that damn title, even if its on smackdown. have him successfully defend it against Ziggler, Ryder,Woods, miz etc. than have Barrett declare some bad news and have him win it fairly thus starting a face Barrett run. They can have epic feuds through several ppvs. eventually ambrose wins it back to lose it to bray wyatt.

why does the us title have to be doomed. i would love to see ambrose defend that damn title, even if its on smackdown. have him successfully defend it against Ziggler, Ryder,Woods, miz etc. than have Barrett declare some bad news and have him win it fairly thus starting a face Barrett run. They can have epic feuds through several ppvs. eventually ambrose wins it back to lose it to bray wyatt.

Epic feud over the US title, What are you smoking that could never happen because if WWE cant even do a half decent feud over the WWE title they are not gonna do anything over US title. Let Ambrose drop it to Reigns in a triple threat with Rollins and then have Reigns be a fighting champion and let him cut a promo in which he says he knows hes the best and will defend it every weeks on Raw and then have him successful defend it for about 4 months having title defences every Raw and PPV against just about every mid carder. A feud is not necessary, a fighting champion is

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back