• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alex Rodriguez and others involved in (another) doping scandal

Fire Marshall Bill

Let me show ya somethin!!!
Alex Rodriguez, Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera, Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal, Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez and former Padres pitcher Cesar Carillo have all just entered a steroid scandal. Their names were discovered in the personal notebooks of Anthony Bosch, the director of the since-shuttered Biogenesis clinic who was not licensed to practice medicine in Florida. These notebooks contain all their names (some coded) and detailed regimens. It also goes into how doping in sports is done and how testing alone will never stop the cheaters.

This has a serious impact on not only the upcoming baseball season, but on people's lives. They're already talking about possible charges upcoming. Furthermore, what does Bud Selig do? It seems that the Steroid Era was finally starting to move to the rearview mirror and now this. I'm sure hefty suspensions are forthcoming.

I know a few people around here love baseball. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this. I'm not nearly as articulate as a lot of posters on here, so I leave it to you.

EDIT:

Part of me just wants to say, does this really surprise anyone? I mean, that's like saying it was a surprise when Lance Armstrong said he did. Not saying it's right, just saying as a sports fan, I know on issues like this, I'm very jaded.

This is really going to fuck up Gios career. Cabrera already got busted recently and he embarrassed himself. A-Rod is ruined with this one. Shame.

This is no real surprise here. Alex Rodriguez already tarnished his career so even if he didn't do anything. I don't believe Alex would of been elected into the hall of fame after admitting to steroid use. He would have had a better chance of making it than guys like Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, etc.. But now he's going to be stuck in the same category. Unless they change the rules for the entrance of hall of fame, I don't see why any of these guys should be elected known steroid users and people who did steroids.

People are always going to try to get an edge in any sport no matter sport it is. New ways may be discovered and work or some may not work, but it will always be there regardless. Bud Selig should of been implementing harsher rules in the 90's and done better testing than what was in place at the time. Most of the owners probably cared less because all the home run hitters were putting butts in seats and made baseball a lot more popular than it once was.

All and all baseball will keep going on and people will still attend games regardless of what's going on. People may believe players have less credibility if they hit a lot of home runs but other guys ruined that for people who aren't taking steroids or any other type of performance enhancer. This era will blow over some day and will probably be remembered as a scandal just like the 1919 Black Sox scandal.

I think A Rod's reputation has pretty much been run into the ground by this point anyway. His best days are clearly behind him and it's going to take him a few years on the ballot before getting into the Hall of Fame; if he ever gets in.

The one that disappoints me is Gio Gonzalez. He's one of my favorite pitchers in the game today and he's just getting into his prime. I thought he had a bright future so I really hope this isn't true. Even if it is proven to be bogus once your name is even mentioned in the same sentence as PEDs you seem to be branded for life. If this claim is proven false I hope people forget about it and it doesn't follow Gio around thoughout his career.

I don't believe Alex would of been elected into the hall of fame after admitting to steroid use.

Possibly, but it would have been an interesting vote each year after he became eligible. Remember that these guys have teams of lawyers and public relations people to pave the way for them, who counsel their clients to admit to making "mistakes" in an effort to stem the true facts from coming out. In A-Rod's case, he made what I considered a masterful PR move by voluntarily admitting to steroid use over a relatively short period of his career, figuring the limited admission would keep the steroid watchdogs from going after his past indiscretions. It seemed to be working until this latest finding. Probably, A-Rod probably spent all his most productive years juiced to the eyeballs.

I don't think Rodriguez will ever break Barry Bonds tainted home run record.....and no one knows it better than he. His body is shot and the only reason he's trying to rehab at all is to keep collecting his obscene salary. But even if the Yankees somehow find a way to use this latest scandal as a way to void the man's contract, Alex Rodriguez ain't gonna starve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back