• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alex Riley gets his DUI dropped

Remix

Is a thin rope
TMZ said:
Alex Riley has a big WWE match with The Miz on Sunday, but he'll fighting with one less thing to worry about -- he won't be charged for driving under the influence stemming from an arrest last year.

As TMZ first reported, Riley was busted for driving under the influence in Tampa, FL back on November 17, 2010. He was booked into a local jail and eventually released on $500 bond.

But Riley's lawyers went before a judge earlier this month and argued that police had no probable cause for a traffic stop. The judge agreed, rendering the field sobriety test and the officer's observations (detecting the odor of alcohol) inadmissible.

Let's hope he has the same good fortune against The Miz.

I am speechless.

Whether or not Riley should have been pulled over, he was and he was found to be under the influence. Letting him off like that just shocks me.

But I suppose people have been let off for worse, on more rediculous technicalities so I probably shouldn't be shocked.

Whether or not Riley should have been pulled over, he was and he was found to be under the influence. Letting him off like that just shocks me.

But I suppose people have been let off for worse, on more rediculous technicalities so I probably shouldn't be shocked.

Uhh...that's not a technicality. That's the Fourth Amendment, protecting citizens against unreasonable search and seizure. Americans are quite fortunate to have that "technicality", as you call it. Not sure where you're from, but if not in America, then perhaps it would make less sense to you, but to Americans it's a very important concept.

Things like this get thrown out all the time. My cousin currently works as the only city prosecutor (it's a small town, and she deals with mostly trivial stuff like this), but before she work as a prosecutor, she worked at a criminal defense firm. They did stuff like this all the time.

In England, there's always some kind of follow up. I didn't think that he'd just be "Let off" so to speak.

That's a reason why I'm quite surprised by this. I think that maybe there should be some consequence in this anyways. Yes, he's a "celebrity" and maybe that has some effect (Although I doubt it), but he should definitely take some punishment. Maybe do a day's service?

In England, there's always some kind of follow up. I didn't think that he'd just be "Let off" so to speak.

That's a reason why I'm quite surprised by this. I think that maybe there should be some consequence in this anyways. Yes, he's a "celebrity" and maybe that has some effect (Although I doubt it), but he should definitely take some punishment. Maybe do a day's service?

But had the officer not violated his constitutional rights, he would never have known Riley was under the influence.

Constitution > other laws. Always.

Very true.

Let's see if he's got a very large grin on his face tonight, that isn't because he thinks he can beat The Miz.

So if they pulled him over with no due care and found a dead body in the boot (trunk for you Americans), he'd be fine under the fourth amendment?

LAWLZ

So if they pulled him over with no due care and found a dead body in the boot (trunk for you Americans), he'd be fine under the fourth amendment?

LAWLZ

In an instance like that, there would be other things which would likely factor into it, but yes, it is possible that would be the case.

What's even funnier than that is the reason we have the Fourth Amendment in the first place. You see, back in the days before the war for American independence, British soldiers would often randomly barge into the settlers homes just trying to find something to arrest them on, whether they had a valid reason to or not. It was an invasion of privacy, it was used to induce fear amongst the common folks, and it was tyranny at it's finest.

So what's even funnier than the fact we have the Fourth Amendment (which protects citizens against government tyranny) is the reason we have it, which comes from the bastards of the old country.

Funny, right? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back