Album of the year 2008

Its that time of the year again, magazines/radio stations/TV channels all come out with lists of their best albums of the year. But enough about them, everybody knows that the people who know music the best are the Great WrestleZonians. So which was your favourite?

I'm going with Falling Off the Lavender Bridge by Lightspeed Champion.

2_lge_Light_080110032005247_wideweb__300x300.jpg

Relatively unknown I admit, I was going to go with the Last Shadow Puppets but it didn't seem right given that this little piece of genius was released earlier on the year. The thing that strikes you about this album is its originality, I can honestly say I've heard nothing like this before in my life, its not my usual indie rock either, I think the correct genre used is "electro-folk" or something like that. Basically its folk music infused with elements of rock and funk music to create a great album that tells the story of Lightspeed Champion's life so far. That's what's so good about it, its a story played out in music, I could listen to any song individually but it doesn't give the full effect unless you play the whole album in full.

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

cover_840202112008.jpg

They're not always radio friendly, but that's what makes them a great band. They experiment with so many different sounds, and they make it work really well. It's structured while being completely chaotic. They are bringing back true progressive music, and continually come up with new surprises.

If you can't guess this then you are an idiot.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay.
VivaLaVida.jpg

Each song in this album is different. You can go from Viva La Vida, dominated by a string section playing the main riff, to Reign of Love, which is essentially a song with just piano and vocals. Each song is unique and different in its own way, but each song retains a slight mysterious quality. I haven't ever heard an album like this one. And it gained lots of success on the charts, and turned a lot of people into fans of Coldplay, me being one of them. A great album by a great band.

Fortress- Protest The Hero

picture.jpg

A great album by a technically sound band. Many people compare it to there last album, and say it is worse, but I don't think so. I don't think it is better, I think it is different. This album was incredible, and my favorite songs of 2008 came off of this album. Album of the year is not a big thing in this year where I can count the albums I enjoyed on one hand. But this is my favorite, and I would recommend it.

If you can't guess this then you are an idiot.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay.
VivaLaVida.jpg

Each song in this album is different. You can go from Viva La Vida, dominated by a string section playing the main riff, to Reign of Love, which is essentially a song with just piano and vocals. Each song is unique and different in its own way, but each song retains a slight mysterious quality. I haven't ever heard an album like this one. And it gained lots of success on the charts, and turned a lot of people into fans of Coldplay, me being one of them. A great album by a great band.

I must be an idiot then because I found the whole album to be pretty sub-par and disappointing. It turned out to basically be a non-event, the album came out, people went crazy for about a week, and then no one cared. It was a significant decrease in quality from X&Y, and didn't really live up to the expectations that Coldplay had made for themselves following their first three albums. So I don't think you can really call this one album of the year.

I must be an idiot then because I found the whole album to be pretty sub-par and disappointing. It turned out to basically be a non-event, the album came out, people went crazy for about a week, and then no one cared.
Alright to start off with you must be an idiot if you didn't guess I was going to say that this album was the best album over the year. A lot of people I know like I said, were turned into fans and I convinced a lot of people to get this album and none of them were disappointed. And the sales say otherwise. They sold 2,144,000 copies in 2008, with 720,000 in the first week. Sure people went crazy in the first week, but the craze contiued for a long time afterwards.
It was a significant decrease in quality from X&Y, and didn't really live up to the expectations that Coldplay had made for themselves following their first three albums. So I don't think you can really call this one album of the year.
I can't argue with the X&Y comment, as I feel that is there best album, but i believe that this album is better than Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To THe Head. And to make the album even better, they released Prospekt's March as part of the deluxe edition, or just as an EP with songs from Viva La Vida recoding time. I think they met the expectations easily, and surpassed a few of them as well.

Escape The Fate - This War Is Ours

ThisWarIsOurs.jpg

Well, this is going to be fairly biased since these guys are one of my faveourite bands.

For those who might not know about Escape The Fate, they are a post hardcore band from Las Vegas and the album I picked is their second album, but first album with new lead singer, Craig Mabbit, formerly of Blessthefall, but joined Escape The Fate because former lead singer, Ronnie Radke went to prison (He will be out soon).

Anyway, this album is great because there are some soft songs and there are also some crazy songs with amazing screams, catchy lyrics, awesome guitar work, just an overall great album, although the new singer can't touch the old singer, Ronnie.

Most of my faveourite songs from this year came off this album, so that's why I would have this as my album of the year.

the carter 3
lil-wayne-tha-carter-3.jpg

This ablum truly explains why rap and hip-hop are the number 1 genre with some singles that may be forgotten in a year like lollipop or mrs.officer that was made so u cane move to the beat to songs that will be rembered for a long time like mr.carter dr.carter and playin wit fire because of thier style and meaning of getting to da top distractoins added and bascily the struggle.

My favourite album of the year was Black Ice, by AC/DC. This album proved that AC/DC wasn't going away and they could still rock out like they were young. The tracks sounded just like the band's glory days, as if they ever ended. This album was fun and I enjoy listening to it. It's been a while since I've heard an album I can truly call a rock album, but AC/DC acomplished it. The best tracks would be Runaway Train, Big Jack, Spolin' For A Fight and Money Made.

My favorite album of 2008 has probably got to be The Formation of Damnation by Testament. Truly awesome album by one of my top ten favorite bands of all time. Great comeback for Testament after not having an official studio album out since 1999. Chuck Billy's vocals are top notch, the riffs are killer and overall it's just a sweet album. Close in second I'd have to go with Korven Kuningas by Korpiklaani. Awesome album from another awesome band. Although both Testament and Korpiklaani make totally different music, lol.

The Guillemots- Red...

Rarely do I go for music that's so *gasp* happy, but these guys can write awesome songs...
And they're starting to get noticed in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back