Al Davis dead at age 82

tommyh

BEER MONEY
According to espn raiders owner all davis has passed away at the age of 82.He joined the raiders as a head coach in 1963 and then he became principle ower of the team in 1976.He was famous for hiring the first african american coachHe was also the the commissioner of the afl in 1966.He was famous for the motto of just win baby.He was a great owner.Sure his teams havent been that good the last 10 or so years but they were finally turing the corner i believe.He was the raiders head coach from 1963-1965 and he had a record of 23-16-3.He was also the afl coach of the year in 1963.He won 3 super bowls also.All i can say is you will be missed.Al davis 1929-2011.A true owner if there ever was one

I'm from the city of Oakland. And right now the people are in mourning because of our lost. Al Davis was the rebel of the underground. I can't really explain how I felt when I first hear the news about Al Davis death from my sister this morning.

But Mr. Al Davis was a true O.G! A Oakland Gangsta! So R.I.P. Al Davis, Raider in Peace!

Al Davis is a legend and a HOFer. He earned every thing that he got. For around the last decade it was clear that the game had passed him by but he always had the mind set that once you were a Raider, you were a Raider for life. Even if it was in the franchises best interest, there was no way Al Davis was going to step down until he was forced to.

The last 8 years have been a struggle but with his first 43 years in the game of pro football he was a trailblazer and a success. He hired the first black head coach, first latino head coach, and the first woman CEO. He has been a head coach, general manager, owner, and commisioner. He is also a three time Super Bowl Champion and a five time AFL/AFC Champion. Truly a pioneer and a legend.

I feel it is a shame that most people my age (24) and under don't appreciate what this man did for football. He was unapologetic, brash, and, most of all, a passionate man. He forced the NFL to grow a pair when he was the AFL commissioner. In the 70's, he gave guys a chance to play when most, if not all, of the NFL didn't give them any creditability.

For people who live in the western part of the country, this man was more known probably more than any other person associated with football. Growing up in Denver, this man was as commonly talked about as Mike Shanahan. And the Broncos are the only team that matters there.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, and former/current Raiders.

I'm glad the Raiders were able to get a win for Al this past Sunday in Houston. Although his moves over the past few years puzzled most, they're slowly starting to pay off. They go 8-8 last year, sweep the AFC West, lose Asomugha, Gallery and Miller, and are off to a 3-2 start. And somehow, Hue Jackson has found a way to make Darrius Heyward-Bey relevant.

I hope they get into the playoffs this season. RIP Al...I'm sure he would've enjoyed watching this season play out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back