• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AF17: Bearded Gentlemen vs. New Church (Battle Bowl Semi-Finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viola Moonlight

I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW
The winning team of this match will advance to the Finals that will be contested at All or Nothing for the vacant World Tag Team Championships.

The first of two Battle Bowl semi-final matches will be taking place possibly as the kick-starter to the show where the Bearded Gentlemen will take on the villainous New Church in regular tag team competition. Both teams earned the right to qualify at Unscripted where they beat the FGA and Alhazred/Capone respectively and will be looking to continue on and be one of two teams to compete for the championships at All or Nothing. Although the crowd at Aftershock will no doubt cheer for the fan favourites, the New Church might possibly have a back-up plan in the Grand Mystique should things not go their way.

Deadline is 11:59pm Central Time, Tuesday 22nd January. Extensions as per thread.

For meeks:

Chapter 9: Dust to Dust​

Derek Jacobs has a headache.

As Derek sits in his hotel room following Ascension, he looks back on the events of the match, which are still a little foggy following the vicious chair shot he received at the hands of Mikey Stormrage. While most people would feel anger towards someone for bashing their brains in with a chair, it awakens another feeling inside of Derek.

Humor

As Derek sits on the massive leather couch in his room, again graciously paid for by Brother Westhoff, he can’t help but to chuckle over the rage that was in Stormrage’s face when he swung the chair, a rage that he helped to create.

It was very funny, in fact.

The only thing that wasn’t very funny was Derek’s headache that he had at the time. Brother Westhoff and the Grand Mystique both had congratulated Derek on a job well done, even going as far as saying that his “sacrifice” by taking that chair shot wouldn’t go unnoticed.

“If it’s not going unnoticed” Derek thought, “then why do I have such a freaking headache?”

As Derek pondered the events of the previous round, he was browsing wzcw.com on his iPad, and most of the comments he was reading pertained to his upcoming match on Aftershock against the team of the Bearded Gentlemen.

While most people begrudgingly thought that The New Church would pull of the win and go to the finals, Derek didn’t think it would be so easily. As a matter of fact, Derek thought that it would be a bigger challenge than he was giving credit for. It wasn’t too long ago that the Masked Gentleman was making his WZCW debut against Derek, and Derek plays back the results of that match in his mind as he reads the comments.

Maybe he does have some brains after all.

Jacobs staggers over and grabs the Gentleman and goes for a t-bone suplex, but on the follow through the Gent lands on his feet. Jacobs turns around and is nailed by a slap from the Gentleman followed by a kick to the midsection. The Gentleman runs back and nails a wicked running curb stomp to the back of the head of Jacobs, who crashes face first to the mat. The Gent makes the quick cover, shooting the half. 1…2…3!

Ever since then, the Masked Gentleman has had his successes, while Derek has had his as well. Derek couldn’t help but feel a little jealous of the attention that Gent has received, though. Even though Derek still felt happy in TNC, he still had somewhat of an ambition of being an eventual star on his own, not in the shadow of Brother Westhoff or the Grand Mystique.

He has to fight those feelings, though; because the ambition of one could be the downfall of many.

Even though it was still early in the morning, and Derek still had a major headache, he decided that the best way he could prepare for his match against Bearded Gent would be to train as hard as ever, both physically and mentally.

So Derek did the only thing he knew how to do.

He trained, and trained hard.

*Derek is shown in the gym, first at the bench press. He is bench pressing over 500 pounds.*

He pushed his body to its limit, and then pushed it some more.

*He is now shown running on the treadmill. Although he’s not very fast inside the ring, his cardio is amazing, and he’s almost at a dead sprint*

He sparred with opponents paid by brother Westhoff to simulate the size of the Beard and the speed of Masked Gent.

*Derek is now seen hitting a man the same size of the Gent with a Payday, and one the same size as the Beard with a vicious T-Bone suplex*

He studied his opponents weaknesses in past losses.

*Derek is shown watching tape of various matches that involved Masked Gent and the Beard, and he is writing down mistakes that he sees them make*

A couple of days later, Derek is back in Texarkana; and he is awaiting the arrival of Brother Westhoff and the Grand Mystique. Prior to the last match, Derek had to make a sacrifice, once and for all killing the relationship that he once held so dear with James Parker.

This week, it was Brother Westhoff’s turn.

Reactions: TBK
Thought of the Day: The hardest part of ending is starting again.

It’s the morning after the fire, and the ashes are still smoldering. A big, magnificent church, the sole entity in the skyline of Texarkana, Arkansas has been reduced to a pile of rubble. All that’s left in the big open field are the charred remains of Bridge to Salvation Church and Brother Mason Westhoff standing just outside of the hot zone in a grey suit, taking in the scene.

Had Brother Westhoff been in the church that night, as he had been for so many over the years, he would be dead. He was questioned about the fire, but he was out of town for WZCW, thank you very much. The police and fire department were unable to find any indication that the fire was intentional, and it was left at that. Officially, the fire began in the room that Brother Westhoff loved so much, his office. A bad piece of wiring had shorted, creating a spark. That spark jumped near a strong, open bottle of ceremonial wine, causing the bottle to explode. The flames were spread across the room, beginning the end. The books, certificates, and furniture that he loved so much and took so much pride in were little more than fuel that took his life’s work.

As he looked across the smoking ground, Brother Westhoff seemingly could do nothing but think back to everything that had led to this moment. The followers he had lost and gained, the sleepless nights, the internal struggle over if he was doing what The Almighty wanted, all of it. Not that it mattered now, as his life’s work was gone. Somehow, Brother Westhoff needed to pull himself together for The New Church’s match against the Bearded Gentlemen. Not just for himself, but for the people of Bridge to Salvation Church in Texarkana, Arkansas. Those people need a leader and an inspiration. Brother Mason Westhoff was determined to be just that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

It’s the morning after the fire, and the ashes are still smoldering. A big, magnificent church, the sole entity in the skyline of Texarkana, Arkansas has been reduced to a pile of rubble. All that’s left in the big open field are the charred remains of Bridge to Salvation Church and Brother Mason Westhoff standing just outside of the hot zone in a grey suit, taking in the scene.

Had Brother Westhoff been in the church that night, as he had been for so many over the years, he would be dead. He was questioned about the fire, but he was out of town for WZCW, thank you very much, or, at least, that’s what he told the authorities. They didn’t need to know that he had been removing his most prized possessions piece-by-piece from the church for weeks. They also didn’t know that he had filled the holes on his shelves with hollowed out book covers containing kindling and small containers of gasoline.

The idea belonged to Grand Mystique, but in reality, all three men knew it needed to happen. For The New Church to move forward, all ties to the past had to be destroyed. Brother Jacobs had already done his part by flying back to Chicago to confront James Parker, now Brother Westhoff had to do his. Knowing it needed to be done didn’t make it any easier on Brother Westhoff, however. Still, it wasn’t about him, the building, or the congregation. It was about the good of The New Church.

Mere hours before Brother Westhoff arrived at the scene, a wire that had been intentionally compromised to the point at which it would shoot off sparks did just that, igniting the fake books and beginning the blaze that would bring down Bridge to Salvation Church. The books, certificates, and furniture that he loved so much and took so much pride in were stored in a home a couple towns over, safe from the fire that took what he had once considered his life’s work.

As he looked across the smoking ground, Brother Westhoff seemingly could do nothing but think back to everything that had led to this moment. Joining WZCW, meeting Brother Jacobs and Grand Mystique, and realizing that he was doing what The Almighty wanted. It mattered more now, as his life’s work was just beginning.

The Bearded Gentlemen will be prepared for this match; I have no doubts. What I do doubt, is how far they are willing to go. I sacrificed my life’s work for The New Church. We will not stop until WZCW is molded in our image. Steamboat Ricky, Joe Mason and James Howard were just the beginning. The sacrifices will not end until our goals are met.

Brother Westhoff was fully dedicated to The New Church’s match against the Bearded Gentlemen. Not just for himself, but for Brother Jacobs and Grand Mystique. They need a brother and a martyr. Brother Mason Westhoff was determined to be just that.

Mozart’s Requiem plays as we see The Beard sitting in a abandoned stairwell, headphones upon his hair. A feint voice can be heard in the background noise.

Beard…Beard…BEARD!

Beard is startled as he removes his headphones and we see the voice belongs to his partner, Le Gentleman Masque.

May I ask my friend, why you have called me to this manor of sorts?

I’m sorry Gent, I’ve been doing some serious thinking. This manor represents a place that I haven’t frequented in quite some time. This place was once a home for those less fortunate, a home for those not capable of caring for themselves. I was here once and was offered some very delicious French toast and had quite the conversation with a young man named Sean. This was also the place I stayed the night I met Emily and the night after Talent and I had our first victory.

So this place holds a special place in your heart?

Not exactly this place, but the memory yes. You see this place is a shell of its former self. The owner has gone his own way of handling the business and cared more for the money than the needs of his people. This was a home to many and now it represents the abandonment of one to ruin the lives of many.

Tis quite the sad story.

Sad, but it represents a true reality. One that I see when I look myself in the mirror every night. I see this place. I am a representation of this place. What I see here is more real than life itself.

Beard, please.

Please don’t interrupt me. There was once a time where all I cared about was where I was going in this insane world of professional wrestling, but I let my emotions get the best of me. I’ve had a partnership and best friend taken from me, the relationship with my mother is now nonexistent, and Emily is all I have now. There is no more therapy. He tried to get in the way as you saw last week and I put an end to that.

Oh dear God Beard, you didn’t kill him did you?

I didn’t kill him Gent, no much worse. I put the fear of the Beard in his eyes. I found that side of me again, the side that you need as a partner. All my focus is back on us as a team, much like it was back in the days of BLT. The Bearded Gentlemen is my passion.

Emily?

She’s fine with it. She knows this is my true happiness and she doesn’t want to be the reason for holding me back. As I listened to Mozart’s Requiem I realized that piece really is what I’m looking for.

A fine piece my friend, but do you care to explain?

Requiem was Mozart’s final piece, but a piece left unfinished. So much surrounds this piece, the myth and controversies a plenty. I feel connected to that. I feel my career would have been left unfinished if I kept myself on this path. Now I see the light and I see a bright future, not just for me, but for us. A future that starts with our Battle Bowl semi-finals match with The New Church.

Now this is the Beard I like to see. A focus, yet hungry young chap that sees nothing but red meat in front of him and tears it apart while enjoying a fine glass of red wine on the side. This is why I like you my friend.

Your excitement amuses me Gent. The New Church will be no small feat. They are vicious and they are the true hunters right now in WZCW. No one is safe when they are around. They smell the blood and the fear of the rest of the roster and they strike. It is something that worries me a bit, but I’ve seen nothing but good coming from facing your fears. Today I faced my fear of life itself and now I’m in a happier and much calmer place. But a place where I still feel bubbling inside. The feeling to which is the Jekyll to my Hyde. A side so vicious that my opponents have no choice but to-

Fear. The. Beard.

Bingo.

What about Grand Mystique?

If he shows up, we have no choice but to take care of him. Westhoff and Jacobs are a threat in their own right, but prepare for the unexpected and Mystique is just that. Big and scary, that’s my kind of fight Gent.

I have this feeling you think Aftershock is going to be quite the party.

That’s right Gent. As the kids these days would say, it’s gonna rock socks. It’s gonna be fun Gent and it’s gonna lead to great things. At Aftershock, we put our names in the history books. We move one step closer to immortalizing ourselves as a tag team. But that history part won’t come from being tag team champions. We’ll save that for later. History will be made when we take the New Church and we run their asses right out of this business. We put an end to them when we put our foot down and tell them to bring the fight. Get ready to fight Gent, it’s gonna be a doozy man. We aren’t just going to be fighting for our lives out there, but for the lives of the whole WZCW roster. We don’t let the New Church play the role of Requiem to our Mozart. At Aftershock we play the role of Mozart coming back from the dead to put the finishing touches on Requiem. We finish what we started and what we started is sure to be something epic.

Beard throws his headphones back on as Le Gentleman Masque watches, mouth opened, as his partner makes his way out of the abandoned home. Gent shakes his head in disbelief as Beard disappears from sight. Gent puts his hand up for an imaginary toast.

To new beginnings…

Deep down in the heart of Texas there is a bar known for being one of the toughest of the tough down in the Chihuahuan Desert, the little patch of sand that separates the United States from Mexico. The name of the place is innocent enough, 'Blake's', but behind the innocent name and the average looking building is one of the places for the toughest, angriest, short-tempered people in Texas and the stubborn recently immigrated from Mexico. It’s here at one of the tables surrounded by the burliest of the burly men, we see the Bearded Gentlemen, the team of the sophisticated yet tough The Beard, and his partner, the eccentric and chivalrous Le Gentleman Masque sitting across from each other dressed relatively casual for them, Beard in a blue dress shirt with khaki pants and a pair of dress shoes, and the man known as ‘Le Gentleman Masque’ dressed in one of his average black suits packed in his suit pockets with his calling card, a tiny replica mask.

Beard: Pardon me, Gent?

The Gent: Yes, Beard?

Beard: Is it me or do the patrons here seem to be giving us the stink eye?

As The Gent turns his head to one of the many men in the bar, he sees a man somewhere in his early forties, balding but his bald spot slightly hidden underneath a golf cap. Dressed in no more than an undershirt, a pair of jeans and boots, the clothing is it not even close to being the man's main distinguishing features. Instead, that goes to the man's more than impressive physique and a face only a mother can love. As the man stares at Gent and The Beard with only his left eye, open smoking a cigarette, a smile comes across his face as the man sees The Gent noticing him. Chuckling, the man makes sure as The Gent notices as he pounds into his left palm with a fist made from his right one. Tipping his hat to the man, The Gent turns his attention back to his partner.

The Gent: I’m afraid I have a feeling he was either born that way or it is the result of an accident, not due to resentment towards you or I, old chap. The poor soul might even be a wrestling fan and want our autograph. Do not judge a book by his cover, my good friend. After all, a man who simply looks at you, no offense to you, would assume you as a brute. I, however, know you as truly a man of class behind your gruff exterior.

Beard: No worries, Gent. I get what you mean, but I can’t help but have a feeling we’re not exactly in the safest place right about now.

The Gent: Well, I can see where you’re coming from. The valet to this place wasn’t the nicest man I’ve ever met.

Beard: Uh…Gent? This place doesn’t have a velet.

Taking a second to sink in the information, The Gent simply stares blankly at his partner.

The Gent: I suppose I should be happy it was a rental and neither of us left our prized possessions in that vehicle. I can simply just the pay the man we borrowed it from. We’ll focus on that matter soon, I guarantee you. For now, however, I brought us to the closest bar to where we were for a reason, my friend.

From out of his suit pocket, The Gent pulls out a deck of cards, shuffling them on the deck.

Beard: Cards?

The Gent: Ah yes, those who are close to me know that I happen to be undefeated in the game of Poker. I had picked it up when I was a young thief roaming the streets of London as a hobby, however even in Prison and once I had gotten out, I still found myself the target of several men; not for my former life as a thief, but rather the fact I had been undefeated in poker for all these years ever since a man by the name of Noel Bellamy published a non-fiction story about a young gentleman thief who had offered him diamonds had he beaten him in a poker game. So, on the special occasion of the fact we are in Texas, how about we play Texas Hold ‘Em?

Beard: Any reason for this, Gent?

The Gent chuckles as the question comes from his partner, as he throws two cards, landing right in front of his partner, before taking two cards for himself, placing them in front of him.

The Gent: Simple, my good friend. We have found ourselves in the semi-final round to the WZCW Battle Bowl. Now our tag teaming will be put to the test as we are forced to face affiliates of another man who goes by the initials of the ‘GM’, The Grand Mystique. The key to every good tag team is to make sure they work together and very well. I’m going to play this as I normally do, and I sincerely hope you beat me, old friend. Such a victory can only tell me that you and I are ready to take on the challenge of aiming for the Tag Team Championships. It shall not be easy, the team of Derek Jacobs and Mason Westhoff. However, we might have one massive advantage over them, how well we work together. Now then, are you game for this, Beard?

Nodding, The Beard picks up his cards.

Beard: Alright, I’ll play.

The Gent: Excellent. Just remember, if any time you wish to fold, simply tell me.

Beard: Now Gent, you know me well enough by now. Do I seem like a quitter to you?

Grabbing his two cards from off the table, The Gent points his finger at his partner.

The Gent: Now that’s EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

Beard: Just one question, Gent, why we’re doing this in a bar?

The Gent: Ah yes, I forgot to mention. The winner will pay for the drinks of the man he’s beaten.

Beard: Hold on a minute, I didn’t agree to this. I didn't bring my walle--

Before the Beard can finish his sentence, he finds himself interrupted by the whisp of the first card as it’s flipped onto the table: the four of clubs.

The Gent: Ah yes. I’m not a tarot reader, but it seems to me as if it were fate that chose this number. Four clubs like there is four teams in the tag team tournament: Us, The Bearded Gentlemen; Mystique’s boys, The New Church; The former champions, Saboteur and Saxton, and the Empire, Alex Bowen and Justin Cooper. It seems like just as we had started, we were thrown straight off the deep end.

Beard: I take it you don’t think we can handle it?

The Gent: Au contraire, my partner. All I’m saying is it’s quite the challenge. However, let’s reflect upon the fact we’ve had challenges before. To get the opportunity that we have now, we had to face the team of Celeste Crimson and Sandy Deserts. A legendary wrestler in WZCW and one who has had a storied career before her debut in WZCW. Yet despite all that, we’re here now, are we not?

Beard: True.

The Gent: Now then…

Flipping over another card, he’s met with the face of royalty, a king of spades.

The Gent: Ah yes, the king of black. Truly, there was never a more fitting card for their leader, The Grand Mystique. I’m well aware I brought him up a few times, however I can’t shake the feeling because of him it will not be easy to obtain the titles.

Beard: Well, that’s why you have me.

Using his thumb to point at himself, The Beard gives a huge grin.

The Gent: I thank you for that, old friend. I hope you are aware that I have your back as well.

Flipping over yet another card, they come to the middle point of the competition, a four of hearts.

The Gent: Ah yes, maybe I was wrong about the earlier card.

Switching the spots of the King and the four of hearts, The Gent places the two fours next to eachother.

The Gent: four and four makes eight. Together we have four men full of heart versus four black souls. While for now it may seem equal, at the end, we might end up discarding the red and the black…or perhaps two from each shall make their way to the finals. Truly I feel when you look deeply into the cards you find hidden meanings. Of course, it’s said that a man perceives only what he wishes to perceive, so perhaps--

Before he can finish, The Gent finds himself cut off by his partner, growing slightly irritated.

Beard: Gent, can we hurry this up? Nothing towards you, but we’re not going to have time to drink if we do this, will we.

Nodding in agreement, The Gent places his hand on the deck.

The Gent: You’re right. Plus, in the end, an average match comes down to two things needed in nearly every game whether it be chess, football, wrestling or poker, itself.

Flipping over the fourth card in the sequence, an eight of spades, The Gent stands up in excitement.

The Gent: Strategy.

Finally, as he flips the last card, a Seven of Spades The Gent places one foot on the chair before shaking his fist and yelling at the top of his lungs.

The Gent: [size=+1]AND LUCK![/size]

With the last scream by The Masked Gent, the people around the two wrestlers’ expression for the two WZCW Wrestlers.

The Gent: …Apologies my fellow customers at this establishment.

Looking down at his hand, he gives a smile as he looks at The Beard.

The Gent: I’m afraid I might have this again, my old friend.

Placing his two cards on the table, the cards are that of a 9 of spades and The Ace of Spades.

The Gent: An Ace high flush. Not my best pick, but regardless, not a bad card in the slightest. Now then, Beard, tell me, how did you do?

Shaking his head, The Beard looks at The Gent solemnly, before laying down his cards, The King of Hearts and The King of Diamonds.

Beard: Looks like your streak is over, chum. Maybe you are right on the whole fate thing. I ended up picking the two cards with the best Beards in the game.

The Gent: Perfect. There is no doubt in my mind now. Together, the team of Le Gentleman Masque and The Beard will finally be the ones to teach New Church some class.

Slamming his hand on the table, The Gent screams as loud as he can.

The Gent: [size=+2]BARTENDER! TWO OF YOUR FINEST DRINKS FOR ME AND MY PARTNER, AS WE CELEBRATE BEFORE GOING INTO OUR MATCH TO FACE THE NEW CH--[/size]

Cutting off The Gent, we cut to outside the bar, where The Masked Gentleman himself is thrown out of Blake’s. On his own free will, The Gent’s partner, The Beard follows him to the outside.

Beard: Well, then. I take it the offer is valid at any bar, Gent?

The Gent: That it is, Beard, my friend. Now if only we could find ourselves a ride.

???: HEY, YOU!

Turning their faces back to the bar, they notice the familiar face of the balding man in the bar from earlier.

Beard: Look, I’m sorry if he caused a disruption but I assure you, we’ll be on our way. Now back off or I’m going to be forced to resort to violence.

Slapping his knee, the bald man laughs hysterically at the comment by The Beard.

Man: Don’t worry, I’m not here to hurt ya. Me and my family’s a big fan of WZCW. You’re them Bearded Gentlemen, ain’t ya?

The Gent: We are indeed, Sir.

Slamming the fist into the palm of his hand, the man's reaction becomes one of overwhelming joy.

Man: Oh man, if you didn’t see me before, I hope you whoop the tar out of those New Church boys. Don’t like them none at all.

Holding out his hand to the Gent, he shakes the hand of the balding man

Bobby: Glad to meet you two. The name’s Bobby. I’ve been a huge fan of wrestlin’ for ages. In fact, I used to be a wrestler myself. Had to quit when I lost me an eye during one of my moves, but I still keep up with the shows. Tell me, have you ever met Titus? I love me that Titus.

Beard: That we have. I hate to bother you, but you wouldn’t happen to have a car that can take us to a bar, can you? There, we can talk about WZCW all you wish.

Bobby: I sure do. Got me a pickup truck with four seats.

The Gent: Terrific. Where is that?

Bobby looks around for it, slightly unsure before scratching his head.

Bobby: Not too sure. I think I’m gonna have to ask the valet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back