• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Adam Pearce and Magno to Appear on Gut Check

MINISTRYrising

Championship Contender
So on Impact this week it was announced that Adam Pearce and Magno would be the next two Wrestlers to be appearing on Gut Check. Both guys have been Wrestling for a number of years and while Magno has appeared on TNA a few times before as a member of team Mexico during World X Cup, Adam Pearce is Probably the better known of the two because of his work with ROH and the NWA where he was a five time NWA World Heavyweight Champion. I think both men are good choices to have appear on Gut check But at the end of the day I believe that Adam Pearce should be the one facing the judges the following week on Impact, With him hopefully getting a yes.

So what do you guys think. Are they good choices to have appear on gut check and out of the two, who would you like to see get a yes from the judges.

I love the dynamic of the battle, as most of my experience with Magno leads me to believe he will surely wrestle this match "technico"(for example he worked against RJ Brewer in most of his LLUSA appearances).

This in turn lends for Pearce to play to his ultimate strength, his great natural heel instincts. Despite being far less known I expect Magno, with his flashy offense, to endear himself to the crowd quickly. Pearce on the other hand should be able to easily draw their ire and garner good heat.

Ultimately Pearce has more to offer and would even be a quality assett behind the curtain. He is a consummate veteran with a great mind for the business. I believe he will surely be facing the judges, and a no vote would likely only be to set up an angle, as rumors were circulating weeks ago that he had already signed with the company.

As for Magno, though he hasn't made much of a mark on the American indy scene anywhere beyond a couple hundred miles of the Mexican border, he is 28 years old and a capable flyer with aestectically pleasing offense and solid size(about 6'1'' 220) for a luchador. Even with a Gut Check loss I could see him garnering a spot in a future X-division contender's three-way.

I'm glad that both are getting this shot at international exposure. Pearce and Magno are very talented and have a lot to offer as they have unique offensive maneuvers that most don't utilize these days and both men have an aura that hearkens back to an earlier time in wrestling, which is a trait most can not lay claim to.

All in all, I'm excited that these two have been picked for the chance for a national contract and hope that both get a lot more work out of this opportunity.

When comparing the two, Pearce ultimately looks like the one who brings the most to the table. Pearce is roughly a 17 year veteran whose well known on the indy circuit but the standout about him is that he's been frequently in the NWA World Heavyweight Championship picture for the past 6 years or so. He's had 5 runs with the title for a total of 1,078 days. Granted that would have meant sooooooo much more 25-30 years ago, but it's made him arguably the biggest star on the indy scene.

Magno has been wrestling since 1999 and....well...to my knowledge, the guy really hasn't done much of note aside from being part of the TNA World-X Cup tournament in 2006. That was roughly 7 years ago and he's been floating around the indy scene ever since.

So yeah, Pearce is the easy choice here.

I don't know who Magno is but I've become a big fan of Adam Pearce since the beginning of NWA Hollywood (now CWFHollywood). The last time I really wanted TNA to sign a wrestler was when Austin Aries was in NWA Hollywood and Adam Pearce falls into that same boat for me. Willie Mack would be another but with the X-Division weight limit, I don't really see any use for him at this time. Pearce on the other hand could be established as one of the top heels by BFG13 IMO.

I really hope The Scrap Daddy does get to face the vote and gets a unanimous yes! There's no need for OVW or anything like that with Pearce. If he's signed, he needs to be put straight on Impact. I can't see TNA passing up on this opportunity, in all honesty, and look forward to hopefully seeing Adam Pearce vs. Kurt Angle somewhere down the line.

TNA seem to be upping the level of talent with Gut Check each time and this is another positive step IMO.

Adam Pearce is someone who can possibly be a main-eventer for TNA. Guy has pretty much held down the NWA Heavyweight Championship scene for as long as we can remember, and has basically been their John Cena. He's great at playing the old-school heel both in the ring and on the microphone but can place face as well. Overall he's the complete package, who can prove servicable to TNA in the present, and in the future. Wrestles the old school NWA style, and his mic work is a mix of Austin & Flair.

[YOUTUBE]YyMWCR7LK9w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]TQmX2I_RNwY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]cRe7m_FuqBY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]7fuck3Heng8[/YOUTUBE]

I've seen Adam Pearce. To me, he's really nothing out of the ordinary. Average on mic, average in ring, average pretty much all. I hope he's as good a booker as people say but truth be told, I don't buy the hype all that much.

Magno on the other might be a good name for the X Division. If they bothered to put some actual thought into it.

Well this Gut Check match is in the history books and I can't say that I wasn't at all impressed with either guy.

Magno seemed to get gassed and that's not saying much as the match was just 4 minutes or so. He looked pretty sloppy performing a couple of spots during the match, which put me in mind of Sin Cara, only Magno isn't nearly as fast or agile.

Adam Pearce was just...well the guy was just kind of there. Everything from his looks to what we saw him do inside the ring, which was mostly taking Magno's moves, just seemed completely, flat out ordinary. His most impressive moment was catching Magno and delivering a spinebuster.

Since Pearce cheated to score the win, even though he never really seemed to be in all that much trouble, will probably earn him a No for next week. He'll probably get Taz's vote, which could be a prelude for him to be brought in as a member of Aces & Eights.

As for Magno, I honestly can't see why TNA would want him. Just going by first impressions, he just seems like a generic Mexican wrestler wearing a mask whose not all that fast or agile. That being said, I'd say the face judges will give Magno the thumbs up and they'll just stick him somewhere in the X Division.

I enjoyed the video packages building up to the Gut check match much more then the actual match itself. I thought Adam Pearce especially was good in his package, and he clearly has ability to talk and is very comfortable doing so. He has charisma, and anyone downplaying his ability on the mic is being silly.

That being said, the match itself wasn't phenomenal. Mango botched quite a few times and looked to be nervous, although he wasn't awful. The springboard into the spinebuster looked great, in my opinion. While people are saying Pearce didn't look impressive in the match.. he was playing an old school heel, and what he DID do was effective and performed well. The finish was even fine, as it was playing to his character of a weasly old school heel. He didn't NEED to perform some finisher and pin Mango cleanly, as that wasn't the story that was being told, or the character he was portraying. People saying Pearce will get a "no", based on him stealing a victory illegally, seem not to remember the history of wrestling and all of the heels before Pearce. I think the mentality of winning by any means necessary, is something different, as this scenario hasn't happened before with Gut check (from my knowledge, anyway).

I thought Pearce was extremely impressive. More so than any other Gut Check competitor in it's pretty sub-standard history. He's a total throw-back heel. He reminded me of sort of an indy version of JBL in that regard, both in terms of his promo he cut before the match (which was the best part of everything, and the best Gut Check promo we've seen yet), and in how he works in the ring.

Pearce is a guy who they can really work with, IMO. I'm not gonna say he has "it", because it's cliche and means nothing, but he has something they can actually work with. Magno does not, unless TNA is gonna be putting out their own Botchamania videos in the future. I don't care if he was nervous, or whatever, but he looked well below the standard line.

Pearce is a guy I could find myself really rooting for in no time, if what we saw out of him last night is any indication of his future. I felt the same exact way about the last Gut Check winner as well (Jay Bradley).

Honest question though — with 17 years under his belt, would Pearce be asked to go to OVW first? I don't see why he'd need to, personally. He's the kinda guy I think you could immediately inject into a feud.

Honest question though — with 17 years under his belt, would Pearce be asked to go to OVW first? I don't see why he'd need to, personally. He's the kinda guy I think you could immediately inject into a feud.

I think it would be a slap in the face to him, personally. He's very good on the mic and it's not like TNA has a "style" that he would need to adapt to. Put him on Impact and see what he can do.

I thought Pearce was extremely impressive. More so than any other Gut Check competitor in it's pretty sub-standard history. He's a total throw-back heel. He reminded me of sort of an indy version of JBL in that regard, both in terms of his promo he cut before the match (which was the best part of everything, and the best Gut Check promo we've seen yet), and in how he works in the ring.

Pearce is a guy who they can really work with, IMO. I'm not gonna say he has "it", because it's cliche and means nothing, but he has something they can actually work with. Magno does not, unless TNA is gonna be putting out their own Botchamania videos in the future. I don't care if he was nervous, or whatever, but he looked well below the standard line.

Pearce is a guy I could find myself really rooting for in no time, if what we saw out of him last night is any indication of his future. I felt the same exact way about the last Gut Check winner as well (Jay Bradley).

If you see yourself rooting FOR him in no time, that's reason enough to not take him. He was playing a heel. You're supposed to root against him.

That said, both guys were basically average to me. Magno would go X which means join the clusterfuck while Pearce.......who knows. It's not like any guy from the competition has gone on to anything resembling success so what exactly am I pining for? Until somebody does ANYTHING of value, it's hard to get excited about the competition.

I think it would be a slap in the face to him, personally. He's very good on the mic and it's not like TNA has a "style" that he would need to adapt to. Put him on Impact and see what he can do.

I agree. I'd love to see them "Christian York" him. Just get him going right away. No lag. No lay away.

If you see yourself rooting FOR him in no time, that's reason enough to not take him. He was playing a heel. You're supposed to root against him.

That said, both guys were basically average to me. Magno would go X which means join the clusterfuck while Pearce.......who knows. It's not like any guy from the competition has gone on to anything resembling success so what exactly am I pining for? Until somebody does ANYTHING of value, it's hard to get excited about the competition.

Good god, come on, man. Semantics. Stop hanging up on my every word. You knew what I meant. I'm talking about rooting for the PERFORMER. I realize he's a heel. I realize I'm "supposed" to boo him. I'm going to the TNA show in Westbury tonight. I fully intend to boo heels and cheer faces.

What I'm saying is that he has legitimate "television talent". He's a guy you can actually get value out of. Get him into a feud with a high enough profile guy and I think you can make money off the guy.

That's what I'm getting at.

And we've been over the Gut Check failures already. The only guy who they actually USED after he won was York, and he had relative success until everyone realized he kinda sucks (at least for that division). Everyone else gets sent to OVW, which defeats the purpose of the entire segment IMO, because it's about earning an "IMPACT Wrestling contract", which says to the viewer "earn a spot on our roster", not "earn a contract, where we'll send you to the minors first for a while, before we think you're eventually ready for TV, which is probably never".

I agree. I'd love to see them "Christian York" him. Just get him going right away. No lag. No lay away.

Good god, come on, man. Semantics. Stop hanging up on my every word. You knew what I meant. I'm talking about rooting for the PERFORMER. I realize he's a heel. I realize I'm "supposed" to boo him. I'm going to the TNA show in Westbury tonight. I fully intend to boo heels and cheer faces.

What I'm saying is that he has legitimate "television talent". He's a guy you can actually get value out of. Get him into a feud with a high enough profile guy and I think you can make money off the guy.

That's what I'm getting at.

And we've been over the Gut Check failures already. The only guy who they actually USED after he won was York, and he had relative success until everyone realized he kinda sucks (at least for that division). Everyone else gets sent to OVW, which defeats the purpose of the entire segment IMO, because it's about earning an "IMPACT Wrestling contract", which says to the viewer "earn a spot on our roster", not "earn a contract, where we'll send you to the minors first for a while, before we think you're eventually ready for TV, which is probably never".

Well, I got the reaction I was going for. Good day for me. Hehe, thanks bud for taking the bait!

But at least we agree that it's weird to "sign" a guy and not use him at all. We do differ on Pearce though. I don't think he'd ever be all that interesting on the main roster. He'd be an ok heel but that's it. I don't see star potential in him at all.

Well, I got the reaction I was going for. Good day for me. Hehe, thanks bud for taking the bait!

But at least we agree that it's weird to "sign" a guy and not use him at all. We do differ on Pearce though. I don't think he'd ever be all that interesting on the main roster. He'd be an ok heel but that's it. I don't see star potential in him at all.

I'm agreeing with JJ and disagreeing with IDR. Fuckin' Mayans, they were right after all.

Pearce, to me, is the equivalent of a comic book hero coming to life. Captain Generic, I think they called him. Pretty badass. Not Captain Planet badass, but still badass nontheless. Nothing beats a green mullet.

I understand that being a wrestler for 17 years will bring some kind of fluidity to your work and you'll pretty much know how to do things. Pearce does. You can tell he's experienced, he's comfortable in the ring and he does seem to be solid on the mic.

My problem with him is the vibe he gives off. This dude looks like he was working at Target for the last 10 years. Note that I said was. He worked at Target and then got fired and is now a construction worker with a crappy boss.

Moreover, he looks out of shape. Now I know that not everyone can look ripped, but this guy just looks bad. Muffin tops out the ass. It's one thing to have a bit of body fat on ya, it's a whole 'nother story when it looks like you don't give a damn.

He's just not doing it for me. He has a bit of talent and MAYBE it can be developed into something but this dude's been around for 17 years and he's never wrestled for any legit company? There must be a reason. Lookin' like Stone Cold's stunt double is probably a part of it.

He'll probably get the contract and then not do jack shit for 6 months. Either way, he's better than Mag-howabout-nooo so let's get it over with.

He reminds me quite a bit of JBL. Bradshaw was likely the bigger star, but I see quite a bit of charisma and confidence in Pearce, and he's hard-hitting too, which really helps to sell him, since his look is relatively generic "big buy" – sorta like Mike Knox or D.O.C.

Pearce has really nice size, and he's a great brawler from what I saw, so I don't see how he doesn't pan out if you get him in a feud with a high enough profile performer.

Putting him in there with Christian York? Yeah, you're getting duds. Get him in with Angle? You're getting a helluva match. Just look at what Angle did with Wes Brisco (or is still doing, for that matter).

I'm agreeing with JJ and disagreeing with IDR. Fuckin' Mayans, they were right after all.

Pearce, to me, is the equivalent of a comic book hero coming to life. Captain Generic, I think they called him. Pretty badass. Not Captain Planet badass, but still badass nontheless. Nothing beats a green mullet.

I understand that being a wrestler for 17 years will bring some kind of fluidity to your work and you'll pretty much know how to do things. Pearce does. You can tell he's experienced, he's comfortable in the ring and he does seem to be solid on the mic.

My problem with him is the vibe he gives off. This dude looks like he was working at Target for the last 10 years. Note that I said was. He worked at Target and then got fired and is now a construction worker with a crappy boss.

Moreover, he looks out of shape. Now I know that not everyone can look ripped, but this guy just looks bad. Muffin tops out the ass. It's one thing to have a bit of body fat on ya, it's a whole 'nother story when it looks like you don't give a damn.

He's just not doing it for me. He has a bit of talent and MAYBE it can be developed into something but this dude's been around for 17 years and he's never wrestled for any legit company? There must be a reason. Lookin' like Stone Cold's stunt double is probably a part of it.

He'll probably get the contract and then not do jack shit for 6 months. Either way, he's better than Mag-howabout-nooo so let's get it over with.

The shape thing doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't affect your work in the ring. This is why JBL continued to wrestle despite his gut and shaking pecs, or why Anderson is still a draw, or why Flair was still going at 60+ and Brayden Walk—err, sorry, Chris Harris came back for one match and was handed his walking papers.

Hell, Samoa Joe has been a fat guy for years. Doesn't stop his fans from getting behind him, or stop him from putting on good wrestling matches. That's all that matters.

Just so we're clear, though, the grandpa-style trunks thing is an ugly look. I'd sooner just give him a singlet if he wants to cover his stomach up.

The shape thing doesn't matter to me, so long as it doesn't affect your work in the ring. This is why JBL continued to wrestle despite his gut and shaking pecs, or why Anderson is still a draw, or why Flair was still going at 60+ and Brayden Walk—err, sorry, Chris Harris came back for one match and was handed his walking papers.

Hell, Samoa Joe has been a fat guy for years. Doesn't stop his fans from getting behind him, or stop him from putting on good wrestling matches. That's all that matters.

Just so we're clear, though, the grandpa-style trunks thing is an ugly look. I'd sooner just give him a singlet if he wants to cover his stomach up.

I think the trunks are the problem. Some guys have a gut and a singlet seems to fix it. Gear can cover up a loooot of flaws.

And as far as the other guys you mentioned, sometimes having a weird body just helps, or at least fits the image. It fits Joe, it fits JBL, it does not fit Anderson or Pearce however.

Pearce can always start dieting and slim down though. If Bully Ray can, anyone can. Even Jericho is ripped and he's never seemed to care about that.

Don't think his physique is all that bad, just skinny fat guy syndrome.

And not wrestling for any legit company, doesn't mean he doesn't have any talent. He could've rejected offers from the Big Two.

I think Adam Pearce is a good wrestler and like you said, he's a throwback to another era. But here's the thing i've seen matchs by him that were good but I think during the Gutcheck match itself I thought he failed to impress. He didn't bring in his A game. Look in comparison you mentioned Jay Bradley, did you see what Bradley did in the short amount of time he performed? He acted like a red hot heel, taunting the crowd, acting like a jerk during the match to his opponant and so forth. People could not help but boo him. But Adam wrestled like it was just another match where there was no faces and heels. That's why it got no reaction. And the only impressive move he did was the spinebuster. And the match ended where the heel predictably hold on the ropes, something that had been done, on the very same night in a match, in fact.

If Pearce is old school then he should have gone all Arn Anderson on the guy, single out a body part and work on it the whole match. Then when the Mexican wrestler does one too much of his flips, he use it against him. Maybe it was him or the booker of the match that failed but he would have come off much better this way.

Also, yea the look. I'm not saying he should have a tan and so forth but at least have something that distinguish you from the rest. For guys like me that saw Pearce wrestle before, I don't want that much more from him, but from people that watched him for the first time, they saw just a bland guy. Have him carry a glove in one hand, maybe a leather glove. He wouldn't need much else, just that simple thing and it would go a long way of making him look a little more badass.

I think Adam Pearce is a good wrestler and like you said, he's a throwback to another era. But here's the thing i've seen matchs by him that were good but I think during the Gutcheck match itself I thought he failed to impress. He didn't bring in his A game. Look in comparison you mentioned Jay Bradley, did you see what Bradley did in the short amount of time he performed? He acted like a red hot heel, taunting the crowd, acting like a jerk during the match to his opponant and so forth. People could not help but boo him. But Adam wrestled like it was just another match where there was no faces and heels. That's why it got no reaction. And the only impressive move he did was the spinebuster. And the match ended where the heel predictably hold on the ropes, something that had been done, on the very same night in a match, in fact.

That's a very fine point. I wouldn't have given it an A, but I guess what I was really saying was that wrestling-wise, Pearce was probably the best guy to come through Gut Check yet, and I was really high on Bradley.

I don't remember it being as generic as you're saying, but at the same time, it certainly wasn't as hot as Bradley had the IZ turning on him, so that's saying something.

If Pearce is old school then he should have gone all Arn Anderson on the guy, single out a body part and work on it the whole match. Then when the Mexican wrestler does one too much of his flips, he use it against him. Maybe it was him or the booker of the match that failed but he would have come off much better this way.

Agreed.

Also, yea the look. I'm not saying he should have a tan and so forth but at least have something that distinguish you from the rest. For guys like me that saw Pearce wrestle before, I don't want that much more from him, but from people that watched him for the first time, they saw just a bland guy. Have him carry a glove in one hand, maybe a leather glove. He wouldn't need much else, just that simple thing and it would go a long way of making him look a little more badass.

The robe was fine, but his wrestling gear itself is just overly generic and boring, and he lifts the waist way too high to get away with wearing trunks. I've gotten on Daniels about this in the past, and he has no reason to wear his so high, because he doens't even look like he has an ounce of fat on him.

They called him "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce — why not have attire that sorta ties into that? Get him a good singlet design with solid, stark greys and blacks, or a design of some type that re-inforces it?

He doesn't have to go RVD here and take it to the air-brush guy at Times Square, but there's definitely a way to make it work.

They called him "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce — why not have attire that sorta ties into that? Get him a good singlet design with solid, stark greys and blacks, or a design of some type that re-inforces it?

He doesn't have to go RVD here and take it to the air-brush guy at Times Square, but there's definitely a way to make it work.

That's really funny that you say that, because he has worn singlets for most of his career. In fact, that's how I picture him.

18.jpg

images

Strange that his name has been brought up a couple of times but the ultimate link has not been made. Jay Bradley has recently won a Gut Check and operates a JBLesque ass kicker heel persona and Adam Pearce has come in with a similar character. Surely the logical way forward is to put these two guys together and see how they progress? That way they don't have to go straight in with either the pressure of facing a Kurt Angle or (worse still) trying to garner heat with a Robbie E.

I have to say that Magno didn't impress but, then again, he wasn't facing a XDivision wrestler. A stint in OVW and streamlining his look for the XDivision and, who knows, maybe he could fill a Mysterio role in the merchandise stands... although, personally, I'd be happier to see Chris Daniels (on double duty) bring back Curry Man!
[YOUTUBE]XL_tdy3Ok3s[/YOUTUBE]​

Does it really matter who wins as we never get to see any of them except joey ryan and the other guy with dreadlocks and even then its very seldom adam pearce the last guy to win it aswell forgot his name but both have experience to go straight in and yet they don't hmmmmmm alex silva nowhere sam shaw nowhere tealer hendrix nowhere lady tapa or whatever shouldn't have won its a pointless waste of tv time unless they actually use these people

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back