Actors/Actresses you cannot take seriously now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I was talking to my flat mate yesterday about actors we will never be able to take seriously as other characters anymore, so I'd like to see other peoples responses and actors/actresses who you can't take seriously as other characters after seeing them in something.

I have to say that I will never be able to take Rainn Wilson seriously in any other role he does. He is the man who played Dwight K. Schrute in the American version of The Office. When I saw Transformers 2 and he was the professor, I just thought of him as Dwight and couldn't take his role as the professor serious (despite it being a small role). I will always think of him as Dwight k. Shrute.

Your picks?

To be fair, Rainn Wilson has generally played comedic characters throughout his career. The professor in Transformers 2 was no exception. That character was not created to be taken seriously at all so that may be another reason as to why you didn't take him seriously. However, I do agree. I pretty much see him as Dwight in every movie I see him in. The problem is I see Jenna Fischer as Pam and John Krasinski as Jim. I think that is something that just happens to television characters and the actors that play them. Their on our televisions every week so how are we not to see them as their television counter part.

My choice would be Will Ferrill. It isn't like he ever was a serious actor to begin with but he has done so many comedies where he yells and screams for no reason that I cannot take him serious. I loved him in Stranger Than Fiction but kept anticipating him to blurt out a random combination of curse words or get down to his tighty wighties. He has completely type cats himself, as most comedic actors do. That is why it is so hard to take them serious. It took me a long time to take Jim Carrey serious, which I still have trouble with, but he tries to do more serious roles now a days. Same goes to Adam Sandler. All I want to do his hear him yell at a ball to go in the hole not complain about have a life threatening disease.

Michael Cera.

I can't see him as anything but his character in Arrested Development. And that's me being nice to him, because if I was fair I'd remember him as this generation's John Cusack knock off. I love awkward comedy as much as the next guy, but his characters, their flaws, and their quirks remain the same throughout each role he's in with little to no variation.

He will never be anything other than the kid that wanted to sleep with his cousin to me.

My pick is John C. Reilly

In his acting career he was in more serious roles like, Gangs of New York, Boogie Nights, For Love of the Game, The Perfect Storm, and The River Wild to name a few. Then came Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, Walk Hard, and a straight to dvd release movie called The Promotion. After seeing him as Cal Naughton JR. and Dale Dobeck it's very hard for me to not laugh and take him seriously in any of the first movies I mentioned him in. I know it shows that he's a diverse actor in all, but I still chuckle when I see him in his more serious roles. It's a good thing he did do the serious stuff before he broke into the comedy scene cause then he never would be taken seriously at all.

My pick is going to have to be Mark Wahlberg. This is the same guy who played a physco teen in Fear(1996), he was Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights, and he played a hard-ass cop in The Departed. Most recently, he's played a wimpy teacher/husband in The Happening, and he was a playboy in the movie Date Night. Wahlberg usually plays the tough guy/asshole in almost every movie he's in, but after those two roles, I just can't believe him as a bad-ass anymore.

Another actor I can't take seriously anymore is Cuba Gooding, Jr. This is the same guy who put on such strong performances in movies such as Boyz In the Hood, Gladiator(1992), Jerry Maguire, and Men Of Honor, but over the years, he's been in some completely ridiculous movies. How am I suppose to take him seriously after he's done movies like Snow Dogs, Norbit, and Daddy Day Camp?

Chris O'Donnell: This guy was mediocre at best when playing Robin but my God, NCIS Los Angeles is the single most annoying show on T.V. It's just so bland and annoying. I mean he and LL Cool J have no personality together and are just aren't entertaining. LL can't act very well to begin with so O'Donnell doesn't help. Nothing in that show works for me and I like NCIS so it's not the concept.

Vince Vaughn.

I've never found him that funny to begin with, but the guy just stars in absolutely shitty movies, and plays the exact same character in every single one of them. Wedding Crashes and The Break-Up are the only two that were passable; the rest of them absolutely suck.

I really think the guy should try some drama roles and see what he can do. He had a very small role in Into the Wild, and I thought he did okay (plus he had some good dramatic scenes in The Break-Up). I'd like to see him do more stuff like that, but for the meantime, if I see a comedy with Vince Vaughn as the star, I will have literally zero interest in it. All his comedic roles are the same, and it's just tiring at this point.

Vince Vaughn.

I've never found him that funny to begin with, but the guy just stars in absolutely shitty movies, and plays the exact same character in every single one of them. Wedding Crashes and The Break-Up are the only two that were passable; the rest of them absolutely suck.

I really think the guy should try some drama roles and see what he can do. He had a very small role in Into the Wild, and I thought he did okay (plus he had some good dramatic scenes in The Break-Up). I'd like to see him do more stuff like that, but for the meantime, if I see a comedy with Vince Vaughn as the star, I will have literally zero interest in it. All his comedic roles are the same, and it's just tiring at this point.

I don't know if you've seen The Cell or not (With Jennifer Lopez) but he's in it in a serious role as an FBI agent or something like that. He was alright, nothing stellar or anything but if you haven't seen it you should check it out to see him do something serious.

Rowan Atkinson.

I know he starred in Black Adder and made success out of it (as well as being a talented actor in my eyes), but when he pops up in any acting role and starts talking, the entire movie is ruined due to him playing the Mr. Bean character. Him being a general airhead and carrying his teddy bear around has solidified himself as being a few tools short of a shed. Though I have enjoyed his work from then on and will pay to see him act not as Mr. Bean, it's just not the same. How can you take Rowan to play the part of an intelligent person after some dumbass like Bean seriously?

I am surprised Cuba Gooding Junior, that man is the epitome of a promising actor that has now become the poster-boy for poor straight to DVD movies. After hitting it big with Boyz N the Hood (1991) and Jerry Maguire (1996), Gooding has produced these "hits": Rat Race, Snow Dogs, Boat Trip, Daddy Day Camp, and Norbit. The man apparently does not turn down any roles, which is clearly hurting his career, as he is no longer seen as a desired actor.

Vince Vaughn.

Come on man! Dodgeball was awesome!

Peter LaFluer Her White, I didn't think Nazi camp kicked out 'til 8. Did you skip Arts and Crafts?
White Goodman [Pause]....... Yes i did.

Class-ic!

Anyway, an actress i've never taken seriously is Michelle Rodriguez, and you know why? Because she always plays the butch, gun toting, Latino bitch in EVERY ROLE SHE EVER PLAYS!

It's like when they select the casts for thses things, the producers must sit there and say to themselves:

Producer #1: So, who shall we cast as the lonely female cop with a lust for revenge and take no prisoners attitude? Baring in mind that she can't be attractive enough to draw focus from the other female cast members......
Producer #2: Is she of Hispanic descent?
Producer #1: Er..... it doesn't specify here, so no.
Producer #2: Ok let's think of something else........

10 hours later......

Producer #1: Man this is taking forever.
Producer #2: Are you sure she can't be Hispanic?
Producer #3: Let's say hypothetically that she can.....
Everyone else in unison: MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ!!!!!!
Producer #1: Fuck man. I should've just said yes the first time you asked, then i could've attended my son's first little league game!!!!

Lost, Resident Evil, Too Fast, Too Shit...er, i mean.... Furious.... no wait, i did mean 'shit', and Avatar, ALL THE SAME CHARCTER. Different jobs, different names, different character histories all merged into the same fuckin' acting from Michelle Rodriguez.

Amy Smart is another one. I thought, hey she wasn't too bad in Raod Trip. Ok she was the ****ty one that caused the whole problem, but i can see her in a role with more substance in it........ but sadly i haven't.

Both Crank! movies and Starsky and Hutch both depict her as a filthy slag with less brains than underwear, and I've lost all hope for Amy Smart landing a decent role that doesn't involve her getting half naked and faking blow jobs or making out with other chicks (not that i'm complaining or anything, would just be nice to see a little variety in her performances......)

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Surprised he hasn't made the list here yet.

Coming out of manly roles as The Scorpion King, Walking Tall, The Rundown, and Gridiron Gang, I am surprised that he took the somewhat Disney roles of Race To Witch Mountain, The Game Plan, Get Smart, and Tooth Fairy.

I can't take him seriously as a PG actor...he's The Rock!!! He is humorous, don't get me wrong, but eh...he will always be the badass brash Great One to me.

It's like watching Vin Diesel do movies like The Pacifier. You may find yourself enjoying it, but you know the guy should be doing something a bit more macho than babysitting kids. Like maybe racing cars or shooting people.

Tom Cruise

He is roughly 5'5" and batshit crazy. I'm all for religious freedom but I think Scientology is more of a cult. I can never take him seriously as an action star again. Maverick should have died instead of Goose.

My pick is a bit out there, but ever since he did Indiana Jones, I can't see him as anything else. Transformers was okay, but it's hard to work with a Barbie doll as your partner. He was great in Distubia. But after the 2 franchise failures, I just can't take him seriously.

My pick is a bit out there, but ever since he did Indiana Jones, I can't see him as anything else. Transformers was okay, but it's hard to work with a Barbie doll as your partner. He was great in Distubia. But after the 2 franchise failures, I just can't take him seriously.

Shia LaBeouf is a star of blockbuster films. He always plays the same role. He's always this witty, and cocky young guy, who goes on amazing adventures. The roles he plays really don't require all that much as far as acting goes. For the type of movies he always does, LaBeouf always delivers because his characters are the type of guy who are made for Hollywood blockbusters. I think he's a decent actor, and he's slowly become one of the popular guys in Hollywood over the years.

As far as the franchise failures go, If you're referring to Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, then yes, that movie was bad, but because both Transformer movies raked in a ton of cash, there will be another made, and Shia LaBeouf will be the star again. I don't know if they plan on making another Indiana Jones movie, but if they do, I would have to beleive LaBeouf would be in the movie again.

Tom Cruise

He is roughly 5'5" and batshit crazy. I'm all for religious freedom but I think Scientology is more of a cult. I can never take him seriously as an action star again. Maverick should have died instead of Goose.

Cruise is just not the big box office draw he once was. I liked him in Valkyrie, and his role as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder was something different. Cruise's movies usually tend to be good or decent, and that's not something you can't say about other actors who are box office draws. Cruise is a pretty good actor, and he has put on some amazing performances.

Come on man! Dodgeball was awesome!

Peter LaFluer Her White, I didn't think Nazi camp kicked out 'til 8. Did you skip Arts and Crafts?
White Goodman [Pause]....... Yes i did.

Class-ic!

Dodgeball had its moments, but that mostly due to Ben Stiller IMO, not Vaugn. Overall I thought it was overrated though.

Amy Smart is another one. I thought, hey she wasn't too bad in Raod Trip. Ok she was the ****ty one that caused the whole problem, but i can see her in a role with more substance in it........ but sadly i haven't.

Both Crank! movies and Starsky and Hutch both depict her as a filthy slag with less brains than underwear, and I've lost all hope for Amy Smart landing a decent role that doesn't involve her getting half naked and faking blow jobs or making out with other chicks (not that i'm complaining or anything, would just be nice to see a little variety in her performances......)

Have you seen Just Friends by any chance? As overrated I thought Dodgeball was, Just Friends was even more underrated. That movie was fucking HILARIOUS, and her character was nothing like what you described above. Check it out if you haven't already; you might like it.

Also, she wasn't bad in the Butterfly Effect either, another underrated movie IMO (and this is coming from someone who cannot stand Ashton Kutcher).

Speaking of which, fuck Vince Vaugn, my answer should have been Kutcher, thinking about it. My God he sucks ass. I have never found him funny, and everything I've ever watched him in, with the one exception of The Butterfly Effect, absolutely sucked. And I've had the misfortune of watching most of his stuff, and the guy is just not funny, nor talented in the least bit. If I never see anything with Ashton Kutcher in it again, it would be too soon.

Cruise is just not the big box office draw he once was. I liked him in Valkyrie, and his role as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder was something different. Cruise's movies usually tend to be good or decent, and that's not something you can't say about other actors who are box office draws. Cruise is a pretty good actor, and he has put on some amazing performances.

He was great in Tropic Thunder, I'll give you that. I think I liked him in that because it was so un-Tom Cruise like.
I usually enjoy the movies he is in but I can't take him seriously anymore. And I really enjoyed Valkyrie, but I didn't like his performance. Everyone else in the movie had an appropriate accent from the country they were from, except Cruise.
I think he still draws at the box office, but not like he once did because of his perceived weirdness.

Ben Affleck after that shit film with J-Lo. Just expect his films to end up crap after that, although he was ok in State of Play.
Robert Downey Jr because i think back to Tropic Thunder and just laugh my arse off. But his films are always great

dwayne johnson cause i loved him in the movie Doom and Walking Tall but now he's a fuckin toothfairy. unless he stars in a movie thats not made for little kids and leans more towards r rated movies i will not and will never take him seriously again. although he was pretty funny in Be Cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back