• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Abstinence vs Contraception

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
With the abortion debate raging on with (as always) no end in sight, I think now is a great time to bring up the OTHER age old birth control questions - how should society go about PREVENTING unwanted pregnancy in the first place. While I am sure there are MANY options, they tend to fall under the umbrella of two major categories:

Abstinence. A favorite of the Catholics and many other religious or moral organizations. The baic belief here is that sex should only occur between a man and a woman who are bound by wedlock with the desire and ability to procreate. Sex is not for enjoyment between random people. This stance says that schools should teach abstinence only, and that teaching contraception encourages sexual experimentation, thus increasing the number of sexually active teens and young adults and the risk for unwanted pregnancy. The belief here also states that abstinence is the only 100% effective way to prevent STD's and pregnancy, and that promoting sexual abstinence will not only prevent these issues, but also strengthen society's moral fibers and lessen the reliance we have on sexuality.

Contraception. This viewpoint states that kids should be educated on sex, top to bottom and left to right. Some liberal courses even discuss unconventional sex (oral and anal) as well as *********ion. Many of these classes are separated so that females and males can hear about situations of or pertaining only to them. A major focal point is discussion on the risks of pregnancy and STD's, as well as education on available contraception, uses, and risks. The belief here is also that kids will have sex themselves and find out about it from friends / movies / etc. and the best way to prevent problems is to prepare them with knowledge of contraception.

Which stance do you take, and why?

Contraception - I find it naive for people to think other people, especially teenagers are going to refrain from having sex. It's a natural feeling to want to engage in sexual activities, and most will follow what their body feels is right. I don't think sex should be a 'taboo' subject, as it should be something that can be discussed with people, and worries and questions can be addressed easier this way.

The main reason I disagree with abstinance only education, is because it doesn't take into account the fact people WILL have sex. And when they do, they won't know enough about contraception to take the necessary precautions to stop themselves getting pregnant or catching an STI. It amazes me that people are shocked with the amount of teenage pregnancies, when this is the only education taught in some areas. A simple lesson in school, once a week, about contraception, could drastically reduce the amount of teenage pregnancies and abortions taking place now.

The abstinance only education is stuck in the past. The times where girls moved straight from their house to their husbands, and lost their vrginity on their wedding night. That is rarely the case nowadays, and it most places it's accepted people will have had more than one sexual partner. So, why not teach children in school how to use a condom? Or, what a condom is for those really bad places?

Contraception: Sex is a beautiful thing between two people who care for each other. It is natural and it is fine. However, it's not right to bring an unwanted child into the world, nor is it right to give your partner the clap!

I think condoms and other form of contraception are fine. I get pissed when guys say it ruins sex or the feeling of orgasm. That is not true. They are so thin it doesn't hamper anything.

I support birth control, and feel it should be an even playing field, with both men and women responsible for taking care of it.

The middle ages are over. You will not go blind if you *********e. If that were the case, my eyes would have been melted puddles of radioactive slime YEARS ago. Plus, I was born half blind, so screw it. ;)

There is nothing wrong with sex. There is no reason not to educate children about expressing themselves physically. I bet most of these killers and nuts didn't get laid enough, or *********e enough, or whatever.

Screw all you want, have fun, used whip cream, chocolate, whatever, but use protection. Just use it!

Both:I believe in both and my school teaches both. They teach abstinence not because of the religious aspect, but in hopes we wait until we find somebody we really love and until we are mature enough to know it is special. Then they teach us contraception so when it is finally time, we know how to be safe. You get to decide what you want to learn as to not interfere with your views or religion.

Abstinence: Because it’s a better method than Contraception. With Abstinence you have something special to give to the one you love when you get married, you are not at the risk of STD’s or the worst sex disease of them all as a young person, K.I.D.S. Condoms can fall off, can break, girls can forget to take pills so Contraception is not an 100% method of preventing unwanted Pregnancy, Abstinence is. I wish I went down the Abstinence path, but what can you say, peer pressure is a bitch.

Abstinence: Because it’s a better method than Contraception. With Abstinence you have something special to give to the one you love when you get married, you are not at the risk of STD’s or the worst sex disease of them all as a young person, K.I.D.S. Condoms can fall off, can break, girls can forget to take pills so Contraception is not an 100% method of preventing unwanted Pregnancy, Abstinence is. I wish I went down the Abstinence path, but what can you say, peer pressure is a bitch.

You're syaing yourself you didn't stick with this form of 'contraception'. So why should schools only teach this? You gave peer pressure as one of the reasons you didn't, well that's up to you. But you're proving, people often find it hard to stick to this, and will at some point want to have sex. If they haven't had the proper contraception teaching, they're at even more risk of pregnancy or STD's. So while abstinence should be mentioned, it shouldn't be the only education they are given.

I think both should be taught in school because ignorance in either subject is never beneficial for anyone, especially students. Personally I would choose abstinence just because it's what I've been taught since I was little and I think it's overall the better option until you get married. I know a lot of people don't feel the same, but at least then it'd be something special.

Flames Out
Dragon

I think both should be taught in school because ignorance in either subject is never beneficial for anyone, especially students. Personally I would choose abstinence just because it's what I've been taught since I was little and I think it's overall the better option until you get married. I know a lot of people don't feel the same, but at least then it'd be something special.

Flames Out
Dragon

Same way I feel, that it something special to old on to, that you don’t realize till it’s gone. I wished I was strong in faith back in the day and maybe I would be a better man today. I think Abstinence should be taught as it’s the only 100% way to protect yourself. You don’t have to worry about missing a pill, breaking a condom or worrying bout taking a monthly STD test. Plus with abstinence at least you’re not rolling the dice, because what may be great pleasure could become great pain later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back