A possbile way to make the Bash @ The Beach nWo formation an even bigger deal

Hollywood Naitch

The current reigning and defending
Following on from KB's question about the potential of the Outsiders storyline up until the formation of the nWo, I have a question of my own, which I was going to post in his thread, however as it mentions the Hogan turn it would not have been relevant.

We all know how the nWo formed, with Hogan coming out at the BATB PPV and turning on the fans....well, here is a way I think it could have been even better, which would have established the Hall and Nash invasion as an even bigger deal, and made the Hogan heel turn even more shocking.

Nash and Hall playing the role of WWF invaders catapulted WCW into the position of the number 1 wrestling promotion in the world, and the fact they were not just a wrestler bringing a belt from another promotion, but actually referred to as not being members of the WCW roster but contracted to another company made it a huge deal.

As far as I am aware something like this had never been done before, and that is why it was such a big deal. There were so many possibilities to this storyline, and several of them could have been even bigger than the actual Outsiders storyline.

My personal favourite is this. Nash and Hall "invade" WCW as they did, with Hall arriving first and then Nash joining him soon after. However, rather than just working as a duo until Hogan joined later on, I would have liked to have seen either Nash or Hall (probably Nash as he was already a bona-fide main eventer) beat up the WCW champion in the parking lot at the end of a Nitro show, in a really brutal, realistic way to make it look like a real assault. It would be filmed on a grainy, low quality camera because using the real TV camera would clearly show it as a pre-planned event.

Then Nash could have taken possesion of the belt, and done a worked "shoot" into the camera, saying he was taking the belt back to the WWF, and how WCW was going to fail, he could have cussed and given the finger, again doing something that people did not expect to see on WCW tv. Then Nash, could have smashed the camera and not be seen for several weeks. This could have really looked like these invading forces had come from the WWF and really stolen the gold. It would have been amazing.

WCW would have been without a belt for several weeks to make this look real, the company would have looked in dissaray until someone like Flair who represented everything good about WCW challenged Nash to come to Nitro and wrestle him in a no-holds barred match for the belt, saying that if he lost then Nash could keep the belt and do what he wanted with it. He could emphasise the importance of the belt to a wrestling promotion and how if it appeared on WWF tv the WCW would be in major trouble. This would have to be done in a shoot fashion, with Eric Bischoff alongside Flair, showing the importance of the situation and how vital it was that WCW reclaim their belt from Nash.

During the match, both bloody men would be down, with the ref also unconcious.... THEN Hogan comes out. As Hogan gets near to the ring, Flair drapes an arm over Nash, Hogan revives the referee so he can see the pinfall....

BUT, Hogan suddenly blasts Flair with a chairshot and then drapes Nash's arm over the Nature Boy, and gets the ref to count. Nash gets the 3 count, and then celebrates with Hogan, and the nWo is born.

Bischoff and some WCW officials come out, with some security/police, and Eric takes a vicious beating from the nWo, busting him open, and then Nash, Hall and Hogan announce that they are taking over the company.

So, to recap....we have Hogan as a heel, and we have the invaders with the WCW world title quickly. You have the actual BATB turn, PLUS the storyline of Nash stealing the title, threatening to take it back to the WWF, and then the formation of the nWo, with a violent beating of the guy who runs WCW.

what do you reckon? Would this have worked? Could this have been bigger than the real Bash at the Beach Hogan heel turn?

Let me know what you think!

I just sort of skimmed it, but I think that the big flaw in your idea is that they desperately didn't want to actually say the initials, "WWF," at the time. You could say, "World Whining Federation," or, "Vince," and get away with that in court, but if you actually start saying the company's name or Vince McMahon's whole name, then Vince would have been calling his lawyers the second he knew. He sued WCW for even acting like they had stolen Diesel and Razor, which he lost terribly, if I'm not mistaken, so he definitely would have sued for that.

I just sort of skimmed it, but I think that the big flaw in your idea is that they desperately didn't want to actually say the initials, "WWF," at the time. You could say, "World Whining Federation," or, "Vince," and get away with that in court, but if you actually start saying the company's name or Vince McMahon's whole name, then Vince would have been calling his lawyers the second he knew. He sued WCW for even acting like they had stolen Diesel and Razor, which he lost terribly, if I'm not mistaken, so he definitely would have sued for that.

Ahh ok. I should have clarified what I meant.

I know they were not allowed to say "WWF or World Wrestling Federation" in the storyline, but there are several ways around that.

In my scenario, Nash and Hall could refer to WWF as "the competition", "the OTHER wrestling company", and could talk about taking the title back to "The Big Man", "New York" or even mentioning "Vince" as you said. They could even just say they are going to take the belt back Conneticut, where the WWF offices are.

Not being able to say the actual company name wouldn't really have been a problem. The real Outsiders storyline worked without mentioning WWF by name, so this one would too.

Foshinzo took a few of my points, but my only other real flaw is the whole Nash-stealing-the-belt fiasco. While it sounds good, there's a major problem in that WCW would have to create some form of filler for the next several weeks, as WELL as come up with an explanation as to why Nash wasn't on WWF TV parading the belt around. I doubt he'd say he was gonna take the belt to WWF, just to not show up for a month or so, and then just walk back to WCW with the title. It just doesn't quite make sense.

The nWo wanted to hold all the belts, so Nash having the title would have prevented the Outsiders having the tag belts. I dont think Hogan would have wanted Nash holding the World strap when Hogan was the "leader" of the nWo.

You guys are nitpicking the small details... For instance, Nash could have just said "I'm taking the belt back home." So that ends that...

You're missing the big points, though ... First, if Kevin Nash referenced in any way that he was taking the belt to the WWE, the effect would have been that people would watch Raw to see if and when he showed up ... How would that have helped WCW win in the ratings?

..The other big point ... There's no way Hogan helps someone else win the belt. More than likely, Hogan uses his creative control clause in this scenario and Nash hands him the belt after the match.

..The other big point ... There's no way Hogan helps someone else win the belt. More than likely, Hogan uses his creative control clause in this scenario and Nash hands him the belt after the match.

That was another scenario I was considering. However, I went against that one due to the "invaders" taking the belt, and Hogan was already in WCW. But I take your point, it would probably have been an even bigger shock had Nash just handed the belt over to Hogan.

I know there are some major flaws in my idea looking back at it now. It just came to me, and I thought I would share it. Obviously it needed to some more thinking, but I think the nWo stealing the title immediately after forming is something that could have worked. The difficulty would be tying up all the loose ends and as a previous poster mentioned- not helping WWE in the ratings by encouraging them to watch the show to see if Nash shows up.

if i do recall they did "steal" the world title a month after forming..... the best way to have kept that stable really credible would be to only let former wwf stars into thier ranks, so when a wcw guy did defect it was so much more impactful, already u had dibiase, virgil, and 123 kid, shouldve just kept it former wwf guys and kept bischoff out of it till later on in the angle for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back