• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A new wrestling promotion???

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Credit WZ.com

In an interview with The Sun in the U.K. (www.thesun.co.uk) Hulk Hogan said that he and Eric Bischoff are about to sign a network deal for a new pro wrestling show.

"Last night me and Eric were getting ready to sign a deal with one of the TV networks here in America. We had a little bit of a problem with the licensing and merchandising, which has delayed it. But I totally expect we're going to sign the TV portion of this very soon, because there's no point in starting any sort of wrestling organization without the TV locked in place

Would you guys watch?? Do you think Hogan and Bisch can run a successfull company?? Do you think its even true?? And what are suggestions you would offer as to how to run it???

Personally I hope its true. I would definately watch, especially if they put the programming on seperate nights than WWE programming. I think they both have pretty good knowledge of the buisness, saw the things that made WCW fail, and thus, may have learned. And we know that bischoff damn sure knows how to do a wrestling show from a production standpoit. Im just not sure how many people they can get to jump over, as many people have heat with both Hogan and Bischoff. I would love the competiton, and really hope its true.

Thoughts guys???

I'd hope that if this is true that Hogan and Bischoff do make a TV show, they don't try and head hunt talent from either TNA, WWE or RoH. But he brings in some of the names on the Indy scene. It would make sense as that would mean Hogan can bring in some of the WCW guys and build up a new lot of new names at the same time. The only thing that I really hope doesn't happen is that Hogan Wrestles or Becomes champ. It would be totally unrealistic right now as Hogan is beyond the point where a belt would look realistic with his routine now.

I think it's interesting, and I'm really interested to find out what Network is getting behind this promotion. Hogan has drawing power. I personally believe that the name Hulk Hogan is just as big of a name as the WWE, so people are going to watch solely for him. I wouldn't mind seeing him talent raid the big two to kick their asses out of the complacency the business is mired in at this point. Competition only makes things better, and guys like Hogan and Bischoff are two very driven people that don't like to finish second.

On the other hand, I tend to agree this is an attention grabber by Hulk Hogan to distract from not being on the WM24 card. It seems that Hogan starts this stuff every year around this time, so it cna't be taken too seriously at this point.

I don't think it's true. It would be nice though. A big problem would be getting good talent on. I don't see a channel that would consider running a wrestling show. Who knows though, maybe on TNT or TBS. Put it on Monday nights just to piss of the WWE.

I'd like to see Hogan do something like this. He's the ultimate icon in the sport, and probably the only person left on the planet who could actually shake up the business enough to bring real competition to WWE's doorstep.

That being said, the drawing power beyond the Hulkster is null in pro wrestling. Trying to book an "old stars" roster would be a disaster, and there is no one even close to Hogan who could be a suitable challenger. It would take months and years to establish a fan base for most of the roster, so like the WZ article itself said, unless there is a long-term TV deal than this is just Hogan & Bischoff blowing steam.

The one thing that comes to mind though, in establishing a relationship with new fans, is to get a quality, veteran-wrestler announcing team with flash & charisma. Maybe Piper & Dallas Page, something along that line, because if I see Schiavone, I give up from the get go. The guy is a meathead when he calls matches.

well obviously it will be built around hogan, but who else would be added to the roster? Rikishi, Chris Masters, Buff Bagwell, DDP, i mean those could be some major players, and to be honest, i wouldnt mind watchin it, if the main event was good, and the undercard had great wrestling

I find it really interesting that Hogan wants to start up a promotion. while he obviously has the drawing power do you really think he can start up in a market that now has two TV companies. I think the best thing that could happen would be to joing TNA with Hogan and use Hogan to make it mainstream just as WWE is. The talent and veterans would make for a pretty good show with Bischoff behind it. I hope this happens.

I think everyone is majorly oversiting one name...that name being BOBBY LASHLEY!!!!!!

Thats a definate huge, and very possible pickup for Hogans company, may it really start up. Other names that are out there, are Chris Masters, Sid Vicous (who has been talking about a comeback) possibly maybe RVD??? Sting has said to be unhappy with TNA for quite some time now, and I dont think he has been on TV much lately. I think him and Hogan are pretty good buddies in real life, so Sting might be another add on. Add that to the fact that WWE just cut ties with OVW, and there are probably a decent amount of young talent now with no ties to WWE. That, and they could cultivate the indies of course. I think another idea would be to start off taping and touring in areas that dont see wrestling often, such as Washington state, wyoming, north and south dakota, wisconsin, colorado. You mean to tell me a show headlining with Hulk Hogan, Bobby Lashley, Sid Vicous (possibly RVD and Sting) wouldnt sell out a 10,000 seat arena in Boise Idaho??? Hell yes it would. I always see reports of low morale in TNA, and once Hogans promotion starts to gain momentum, Im sure it wont be difficult to lure guys such as Christian, and Booker T to the company. They could also cultivate the luchas, and japanese guys, to have a sick cruiser division.

I feel that its pretty obvious that Hogan would have to carry the company to start off with, as he is by far the biggest draw out of anybody. They would have to put their belt on him, and I would imagine he would be at the top of the company for at least the first year. Maybe Lashley could take over the lead after a while, Im just not sure how much of a draw he would be outside of the WWE. I think if they packaged him as being a dominant Goldberg type, it would help him draw.

Since Hogan and Bischoff are running things, I think they would have a good, traditional structure, IE World title, secondary title, wether it be a US or Intercontinental, a Cruiserweight, and Tag titles. Bischoff knows how to produce a damn wrestling show, and I am really hoping this actually happens.

This has been said plenty of times. It wont happen, and if it does it wont be anything special.

Hogan is a big name. But his big name barley sold out a Memphis event. And who else other than Hogan would be part of it? Beefcake, Nasty Boys, Jimmy Hart? Nah I'm good thanks. It's not like they can get any TNA talent to help. It would be made up with the wrestlers from ROH that nobody really cares about.

It would be a waste of Hogan's money, and my time. I have better things to do, like nothing.

If this promotion worked out, it could blow TNA out of the second place spot. However, I also don't think it will happen due to Hogan's and Bischoff's egos. Bischoff would put the belt on Hogan, (which would be ******ed), and have Hogan destroy all the young guys coming up. Hogan would probably go on a dumb undefeated streak and never do the job until he retired and dropped the belt. While this is the most likely scenario, Hogan and Bischoff may not do that, as they know what happened to WCW in its final years. Raiding talent from Japan, Mexico, ROH, TNA, WWE, and getting free agent wrestlers, (Chris Masters, Andrew Martin, Bobby Lashley, RVD, Nick Dinsmore, X-Pac), would be it's best bet. But, you have to look at the last two companies who tried to bump TNA out of its second place spot (Jimmy Hart's XPW and MTV's WSX). Both companies failed miserably (and Hogan was the figurehead of XPW!). I have a feeling that if they do make a new promotion, it's going to be a re-hash/attempted revival of WCW, which won't work. Well, we'll just have to see.

This company wouldnt work for one reason and thats Hogan. If Hogan was a full time wreslter on the roster and owned part of the company he would hold the title the whole time. Hogan would bring in all his old buddies that are wrestler ex. Beefcake, Nasty Boys. Im sure it would be nice for a month but after that i could see the same thing that happend to WCW to many egos. But you never know especially if Hogan has his own money involved it could be different. I do think this would kill TNA anyime you have the name Hogan its a draw and i hate the guy. He just appeals to, to many people. He is a household name.

This is not going to happen. Hogan has been saying this for years, and nothing ever comes of it. The man should just give it up and stick to American Gladiators and reality TV.
On a side note, would you start a wrestling company while you were in the middle of a bitter divorce??

I would really love this to be true. I am guessing that this network would be either VH1 because of Bischoff and Hogans relationship with the network or My9 because they need more programming. I can see Hogan being an occasional wrestler. What interests me would be who would join this promotion. The only Main Event free agent right now is RVD and possibly Sting. This could become a really interesting situation.

I'm going to disagree. I don't think Hulk would put the belt on him just to say he is the champ. I think he would build up others and pass the torch on ie Warrior at WM6. Hopefully, he would pass the torch to someone that could take the company to the next level.

If this was true, why would Paul Wright sign with the WWE? Paul and Hulk are boys, wouldn't you want Paul to work for you?

XWF was well-run, booked well, and had the talent/names. XWF just didn't have the sponsorship or the tv network. Every time, the XWF could not promote their pilot tapings to television executives as they were no longer able to deliver the same big star wrestlers from their pilot shows, whose presence would attract viewers. The major problem for the XWF was the much-anticipated national television deal did not materialize. This was in part due to stars Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Roddy Piper, Rena Mero, and Jerry Lawler among others being quickly snapped up by the WWE.

That's what I meant. XWF. Thanks for that correction. XPW was Rob Black's hardcore promotion. Anyway, if that's what happened to XWF, why wouldn't it happen to Bischoff's promotion? It's going to start up with all this big name talent, and WWE is just going to give them all long-term, big money contracts. They just recently said that they wanted to expand on the amount of talent on their roster, and this promotion would be perfect to start off with. Just obliterate them before they start, much like XWF. Also, Hulk is apparently putting a huge amount of money into this new promotion, so of course he's going to put the belt on himself, at least for a little while. They would have to do that, because it would draw more fans from the WCW days that have since stopped watching wrestling.

Im am really hoping for this to be true, but at the momnet im not getting my hopes up, another promotion on the block is good, but one run by the most famous wrestler ever and probs one of the best wrestling produces ever could really up the ante for TNA and WWE. I do really hope though history doesnt repeat itself and Hogan makes himself the be all and end all.

Meh, Hogan does this shit all the time, I'll believe it when I see it.

He'll say this shit until he needs a paycheck or until he needs to plug a new show (Hogan Knows Best, American Gladiators) then he goes back to his new show bullshit.

I for one am hoping this is NOT true, imagine what Jeff Jarrett did with TNA, only instead, the focus is on old talentless roiders who Hogan is friends with and Hogan is the star, moreso than what JJ was in earlier TNA.

wow, that sound intensly bad. I mean, as a tv show, it may work just becuase people seem to enjoy bullshit, especially if they get some "celebreties" who might make it somewhat funny. Personally, I hate the idea, and am very very disappointed that this is what we are gonna get THIS instead of a new promotion I would say that it will absolutely flop, but Americans LOVE garbage ass reality TV. So it may not. Probably will not.

ooh man, I'm so disappointed when I saw that, I thought now it will
be WWE, TNA and Hogan's promotion, but really I think this is desappointing
but I don't understand why last year hogan says that he will take on
desperate vince mcmahon !

I mean the idea of launching a wrestling-themed celebrity reality show
is really bad for the wrestling fans, and it's clearly that this thing
is not for wrestling fans what so ever, I think hogan thinks that wrestling
fans will watch this because of him and because of the idea of "wrestling"
even though it's not the traditional pro wrestling but he thinks maybe
that he can catch the wrestling fans along with the none wrestling fans
cause it's all about the celebreties that they want to see.

hopefully hogan was not lying when he originally spoke about the promotion he wanted to use to take on vince. maybe he is trying to make money from this show and build up a fanbase before the promotion starts. and the extra publicity would help him possibly negotiate a nice pay off for wrestlemania which could help pay for the promotion!
also does anyone else think the best idea ever for a new promotion would be for hogan to be at wrestlemania, win a match, then get on the mic and say "hey guys my new promotion debuts on vh1 next week!"...probably wouldnt happen but ud have to have a giggle if it did! especially when the locker room empties to genuinly kick his ass for betraying WWE

Acquiring the finances and services of one and only creative wrestling genius, Paul Heyman, and pitting him in collaboration alongside clever businessman, Eric Bischoff. Adding to the mixture, the popular, Hulk Hogan to govern, the acquirement of talented, unmainstream-untilized wrestlers enlighted on great fundentals, and who know how to conduct their work. Heck, some of those competitors on American Gladiators could be trained and utilized. Also, they could obtain few former and current WWE and few former and current TNA talent such as Jeff Jarrett, Ron Killings, RVD, and Kofi Kingston (just to serve as a dillusional idea) to kick-start and elevate the promotion off the ground in a good direction. Quite potentially, we could have a good product on our hands.

But honestly, I reckon plugs and celebrities would likely become the program's very fabric if even created. I don't think I'll be genuinely serious, that's my doubt, and factually speaking, Hogan remains in a state of depression, coming out of a long-term marriage with his wife, and more importantly, exactly where does the finance come in to procure wrestlers from the free agency? That's even if he and Bischoff can and not just any. I'm sure Hogan's got a loaded account of financial funds in storage, but I question the amount, both his and Bischoff's in combination, is it sufficient? And even if so, is Hogan willing to risk the factor of potential program failure and lose out? You know what? I'll leave this topic alone because nothing convinces me right now that what is uttered between the gap of his lips may become reality until seeing is believing, and that's just my take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back