• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A match that should be the main event instead.

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I hear that there is a chance that Brock Lesnar may re-sign with WWE (I don't think he will), and that, if this is the case, based on fans' reactions to Roman Reigns, Brock may retain the belt.

However, this presents a problem to WWE. You see, WWE likes to have Wrestlemania finish with the fans' cheering. Most Wrestlemanias have had the face win the main event, and send people home happy.

There are only three Wrestlemanias I can think of where the heel won the main-event. Wrestlemania 2000, where Triple H retained, but the fans still left happy when the Rock gave Rock-Bottoms to Vince, Shane and Stephanie. WM17, where Austin went heel. But this was such a monumental moment, that people left shocked, rather than angry, and Austin was popular even as a heel. And WM27, where Miz beat Cena, but the Rock again gave both the Rock Bottom and left fans happy.

People may like Brock better than Reigns, but if Brock stays and retains, I think that this match should be put second-to-last on the card instead.

Instead, I would have the main-event be another match. A more monumental match.

STING v TRIPLE H

Why? Because this is a moment few in WWE ever thought that they would live to see- Sting, the last major holdout to WWE, finally appearing in a Wrestlemania ring, achieving the one thing he had left in his career.

Sting and Triple H can headline a Wrestlemania. I think this match will sell more tickets than Reigns-Brock. People want to be a part of history. Sting at Wrestlemania IS history.

Why does the title match always have to be the main event? Often, another match at Wrestlemania has main-evented instead, and treated as more important. Most recently, at WM28, where the main event wasn't the WWE or World Title match, but Rock v Cena, another historic match that people thought that they would never see. Sting v Triple H is like this match.

Also, I think Sting will go over at WM. It is unlikely that Sting would sign a WWE contract, to lose at Mania. I think that either Sting will win, or if Triple H wins, Sting will take to Triple H and stand at the end of Wrestlemania, with the fans on their feet at this piece of Wrestlemania history.

Although I agree with you 100%, the thing that sucks most is that it doesn't matter which match we or anyone in WWE feel SHOULD go on last, it's what match Vinnie Mac wants to go on last. Besides, despite being a heel, the fans can still go home happy by seeing Rollins cashing in on either Lesnar or Reigns after the main event, as he is far more over than Reigns and I think most people have had enough with the WWE title being held hostage since SummerSlam. It's one thing to not have your champion defending the title every few weeks, it's another entirely to not even see him for months. Besides, this isn't the 80's. Things like that don't fly anymore. I mean, jeez, Lesnar retained his title in September and I don't think we saw him again until just before Royal Rumble. I know I will be fine with a Rollins cash-in. And besides, if he doesn't between now and March 30, I got a feeling we will see the first ever expiry of a guaranteed title shot. Sorry I got a little off topic there, but whether or not Sting vs. HHH will be the main event is up to Vince, regardless of how much power Trips has now.

Will I hate it I do agree with you about the Lesnar situation. Although with the way things are going, Lesnar will be cheered more so over Reigns.

I can't see Sting/HHH going last. The internet would explode if HHH with his position within the WWE headlined another Wrestlemania. They would say he pulled rank and put himself ahead of everyone again.

It's an interesting question; which type of match should main event a major PPV card......the most interesting match-up or the one for a world championship?

Personally, I'm more interested in Lesnar-Reigns because of the title implications and possible ascension of a young superstar, which is a factor so many of you have been yelling for ("Let the veteran job to the younger guy!") In this case, though, the jury is still out on Roman Reigns.....but I'm saying this could (and should) be the match in which he proves one way or the other whether he should rule the roost. In addition, Brock defends the title so rarely that a match in which the belt is up for grabs becomes that much more important. The stakes in this match are really high, whether it's to be Lesnar's last contest in WWE, or not.

Triple H-Sting, on the other hand, has no stakes at all from the point of view of rankings and building up to title contention. Yes, I'm super-interested in watching Sting finally perform in WWE, yet while it seems unlikely Sting will lose, what difference does it make if he does?

So, while both matches are must-see, I think they're billed correctly..... with the world title match going last.

Sting v. HHH, while loaded with nostalgia, and while I pop and mark like a kid when Sting is on WWE TV, is a garbage feud. HHH is supposed to represent the WWE, the WWE that beat WCW, the WWE that wiped WCW out of existence, and the WWE that is the definite winner in a decade long feud. Sting, on the other hand, is the invader, he's the one trying to take what isn't his to take, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the feud, but it's booked so illogically. You mean to tell me that HHH is going to hang the entire reputation of the WWE on a feud with a guy that lost the big battle 15 years ago? You mean to tell me that HHH is willing to risk everything to have the wrestling match that would have been super over in 2001? And so, if Sting wins (which has to happen, you can't bring Sting to the WWE and let HHH beat him first match) but if Sting wins, doesn't that insinuate that the WWE didn't deserve to win in 2001? That WCW's top dog just beat the WWE's top dog from 2001 even though it's 2015? I mean, that's the only thing that HHH has talked about, WWE beating WCW, Sting being the WCW holdout, etc. If they were booking it as two incredible legends getting a match that was a dream 15 years ago, then that's completely different.

Trust me, I know that it's history and nostalgia, but it isn't outselling Reigns v. Lesnar, "Bellee Dat."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back