• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A John Cena Heel turn WON'T be bad for finanical reasons!

WimpyKid4Life

Occasional Pre-Show
Lots of people think that turning John Cena heel (villain) will affect his merchandise sales and therefore cost WWE a lot of money. That in fact is WRONG!!!! You see, there are a lot of kids on the internet dressing up as Stardust for Halloween and they rooted for him in Hell in a Cell last night. Stardust is very popular with the kids right now even though he turned heel (villain) over 2 months ago! The Stardust character is just awesome, it doesn't matter if he's heel (villain) or face (good guy) because he's generated a nation wide fanbase who appreciate his antics and personality. Just look at Stardust merchandise sales ever since the mask/gloves came out. They are through the roof, probably the highest grossing Cody Rhodes merchandise in his entire career and he's a heel right now!!!! Lot of kids like dressing up as Stardust and that's what's not just best for business but also best for Cody Rhodes' work. Dedication to one's gimmick does pay off! So a John Cena heel turn WON'T cause a drop in his merchandise sales. Heck, most kids would rather dress up as Darth Vader than Luke SKywalker! Thanks for reading my thoughts- WimpyKid4Life

So, your theory revolves around the notion that you've read somewhere, know of a few kids, read about kids, etc. who're dressing up as villains and wrestling heels?

Here's the thing: the John Cena brand, according to reports I've read, is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million to WWE. I don't claim to know all the ins & outs of WWE or any major corporation for that matter, but I'm of the opinion that WWE has looked into the pros & cons of a potential heel turn for Cena quite a few times over the years. As I said, it's just an opinion, but something tells me that WWE doesn't base business decisions that could potentially cost them a fortune without doing some research as to whether or not it'd pay off. Sometimes you have to take a gamble on things to see if it pays off, it's something Vince obviously believes in or WWE probably wouldn't be the multi billion dollar industry it's become. Maybe they simply don't believe that a heel turn for Cena is all that profitable because in spite of what you might read from some internet fans or hear from them at live shows, John Cena's actual level of popularity is stronger than it'd seem. If Cena didn't generate revenue in merchandise, if his segments & matches didn't draw well, if he didn't help sell a lot of house show tickets, etc. his character would have been changed a long time ago or he wouldn't have been on top for as long as he's been.

This is one of those instances where I think there's a very good possibility that WWE management knows more about what works and what doesn't as far as their merchandise is concerned.

O hey a thread about Cena turning heel...very new. I think Cena heel turn should just be one thread that gets brought up. I think the term is a sticky thread?

Anyway, Cena heel turn isn't gonna happen any time soon. Even if it does, it won't be because of us complaining about it on the internet. Why do we need a heel Cena anyway? Can't we just have some character progression? He is the best at being the face of the WWE, I'm not saying he should be the number 1 guy but he should stay a face in the company. Let him stay as the spokesman, the person he's been for the last 10 years except grow a bit and fall out of the main event

Wwe has the most invested in cena. They push him more then anyone and no doubt push his merchandise more then anyone. He has creative control over his character and has said many times he doesn't see it happening.

He's just One of those guys that can't be a heel imo. Like a Sting. Sting was wcw golden boy and just never seemed to be a heel either.

I respect the talent then can go both heel and face as I think it takes a lot talent to be able to pull it off.

Cena will never ever go heel anytime soon.. 100 million in merch sales is huge.. Holy shit that is a lot of money probably more than Hulk or SCSA drew combined.. Despite from what you read or hear on the streets,a heel turn is not the best thing right now.. No way would management gamble on their 100 million cash cow by turning him heel,to please some smarks out there..

Management I am quite sure has weighed the ins and outs of such rumored heel turn.. If they thought it was beneficial they would have switched him a long time ago.. Dont fix what isnt broken! C-Nation

Yeah I really have to say I've seen Cody Rhodes tweeting pictures of kids dressed as Stardust and I can see the appeal - but he doesn't come off as a legitimate scary monster, fuck you up heel. He is more of a prankster (see my thread). He's also NEVER going to generate sales like Cena who is most comparable to a modern day Hogan.

That being said, I can see it late in his career to reinvent himself, I just never think it will happen. It took a lot to convince Hogan to do it and Hogan said "You'll never know what it's like to lace these yellow boots, brother". He was late into his career in a different climate and lots of money involved.

I imagine he'll stay the All American, clean cut Face for his career. It could be shocking to turn Heel but also disastrous and he'd need a great supporting cast... being that every Heel is eventually fed to him and he's the most reliable guy in the company.

Another thing is Stardust's visual look - it looks like a Halloween costume and acts comic book/cartoonish. John Cena would just be "letting down "'C-nation'". His character is already too deep. He would have to be a heel aimed towards 16-35 years old and not kids buying wristbands.

The shareholders of WWE will throw a mighty shitstorm if some nitwit shoots the goose that lays golden eggs. That goose being this kid from West Newbury, Mass. As long as Cena remains the WWE branch of the US Mint, he will keep being the Gamera of professional wrestling: Hero to children everywhere, not to the wallets of their parents.

I can see Cena turning heel at Survivor Series and joining The Authority. One thing that they can do with his merchandise, and it beats me why this hasn't already happened, is make a bunch of "Let's go Cena" shirts and a bunch of "Cena Sucks" shirts. That way, people who want to boo the heel are still buying merchandise.

Honestly who is buying Cena gear? Adults to appease their children? The same way Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers got famous?

Heel or face..it doesn't matter. Cena is awful and having the focus on him all the time is old. He needs to go away for a long time so we can get some new stars.

You all miss the crucial point... however much he is worth etc... THEY HAVE NO ONE TO REPLACE HIM!

Hogan could go heel in WCW cos they had Sting...then they made Goldberg, Austin could go heel and join McMahon because they had Rock and Foley with Jericho in line at the time to potentially be "that guy". Either way there was someone there to replace to golden goose.

In WWE right now and ever since Cena has been around there is no one of that level, who can sell what he sells and front the company as well as he is doing... whether that's cos they don't allow it is for a different thread... but they don't have that guy who can step up and for Cena to be a nemesis to make the turn work financially OR creatively.

The nearest they got was Bryan and he got hurt...

Oh boy, I let myself get pulled into this train of thought again.

Umm, your thoughts require better forms of explanation to come across as reasonable.

My thought, thank you so much for reading it by the way, is that John Cena's fans aren't necessarily fans of him but are fans of what he represents. Any idiot can run out there in camo-shorts and flip an opponent off their shoulders, but at this point ONLY John Cena can ever be that idiot. John Cena represents the Rocky theme of never giving up, his corny hustle loyalty and respect thing is a cute aesthetic, and he hugs people. What he represents is what parents want as an example for their kids, and it's easy enough for those kids to relate to it because it's John Cena as the representative.

Imagine John insults the fans, cheats to win and whines about his losses. For one thing; I really don't see John being able to carry a villainous gimmick by showing undeniable skill in the ring. Beyond that; now John doesn't represent all the positive examples that parents want their kids to follow. Sure, he would retain some die hard fans who either respect his new direction or stubbornly hold onto the idea that he'll turn back soon. I believe that John's massive fan base comes from his willingness to keep being the superhero of the show. Even someone who hates him, like me, is willing to admit that it makes sense for him to be the guy to take the belt from Lesnar. If he becomes a villain, be it a brute asshole or a compulsive cheater, he'll still be the bad guy in a show where the good guy almost always has to get the upper-hand.

If I was a booker, I'd keep John Cena as a face until he retires. If he doesn't retire for another thirty years, it's just more money in my pocket.

The true test of a sports entertainer is if they can do it all. If you cant do it all, if you cant be a heel, then your simply not one of the greats. If you succeed as both, then the star, the company, and the fans know that you are great. If you can only succeed at being one, then maybe creative is responsible for your stardom. If Cena can't turn heel successfully at some point, many, possibly millions of people will think that he may have just been a marketing success, not a great success as an athlete and entertainer.

He's gotta do it at some point to cement his legacy. I disagree with OP here, his sales will hurt because he will not develop as many new fans. (the youngest kids just getting into wrestling will not like him.) Let's face it, kids like the good guys.

But I do not think he'll turn, at least until Daniel Bryan fully recovers, or another potential super good guy face comes into the picture. We'll be stuck with Hustle loyalty and respect, until the sports entertainment scene gets shook up real good again.

The true test of a sports entertainer is if they can do it all. If you cant do it all, if you cant be a heel, then your simply not one of the greats.

My friend, I emplore you to reconsider this conclusion.

Being well rounded is hardly what I would call the "true" test of a sports entertainer.

The only thing you should ever have to be able to do is make money. That's it. John Cena, for all the opinions the internet may have of him, makes real money. He's not breaking an unspoken law of being an entertainer by not branching out into different roles. He's the star of a show where everyone under the age of 12 that watches likely wears at least four forms of his merchandise just to check the mail, his fans pay to see him win and to hear him talk. In keeping with his current creative direction, he is proving that he's passed the true test of being a sports entertainer.

My friend, I emplore you to reconsider this conclusion.

Being well rounded is hardly what I would call the "true" test of a sports entertainer.

The only thing you should ever have to be able to do is make money. That's it. John Cena, for all the opinions the internet may have of him, makes real money. He's not breaking an unspoken law of being an entertainer by not branching out into different roles. He's the star of a show where everyone under the age of 12 that watches likely wears at least four forms of his merchandise just to check the mail, his fans pay to see him win and to hear him talk. In keeping with his current creative direction, he is proving that he's passed the true test of being a sports entertainer.

It seems like Vince McMahon Jr. himself made this post. lol. True, within the industry decision makers, the ability to generate revenue is the chief concern. I was thinking more along the lines of hearts and minds of fans, smarks particularly. For example most would say Hogan or Savage is and was better than the ultimate warrior. Hogan has had 3 basic gimmicks in his day, Super face hulkamania, now heel, and now the legend persona. Savage would switch between face and heel and be single, in a group, or with a manager, Warrior was always one dimensional. This is a matter of personal opinion of course, but most don't view warrior as being as great as the other two.
Being able to switch, I think, helps you become a long time favorite of dedicated fans.

Hulk Hogan sold a lot of red and yellow shirts and bandanas and toys and Belts. You know what else he sold a lot of!? Hollywood Hulk Hogan sold a lot of black and white shirts and bandanas and toys and Belts. Now, before anyone says Hogan jumped on the bandwagon, let me say this first. The New World Order was cool with Hall and Nash, no doubt about it. Just like how D-Generation X was cool. The thing is DX was the second attraction behind Stone Cold Steve Austin, much like the Outsiders was the second attraction behind Hollywood.

My point is, regardless if John Cena turns heel or not, he will sell his name. If Cena recreated the NWO right now, there would be a $#!+ load of kids wearing the black and white. Sure they’ll boo him at first, but then it’ll become the cool thing. Remember, 10 years ago, his fans were 10 years younger than they are now. This could be the way to make him timeless, even if it was just for a year or three. Even Hulk came back to his roots. I say give it a chance and let Cena be not only the actual Face of the WWE, but also the storyline Face of the WWE, under the Authority.

It seems like Vince McMahon Jr. himself made this post. lol. True, within the industry decision makers, the ability to generate revenue is the chief concern. I was thinking more along the lines of hearts and minds of fans, smarks particularly. For example most would say Hogan or Savage is and was better than the ultimate warrior. Hogan has had 3 basic gimmicks in his day, Super face hulkamania, now heel, and now the legend persona. Savage would switch between face and heel and be single, in a group, or with a manager, Warrior was always one dimensional. This is a matter of personal opinion of course, but most don't view warrior as being as great as the other two.
Being able to switch, I think, helps you become a long time favorite of dedicated fans.

Trust me mayn, I'd be taking a very different tone in regard to John Cena if this was a discussion regarding whether or not he could pull off a heel role and keep making money.

Obviously the only real test of anyone's opinion on the matter is if John just jumps into a heel role and the fans take it however they will. In Hogan's case (if my memory serves me correctly) his popularity was starting to wane catastrophically up until going full heel, and Randy Savage would always give the fans their money's worth in the ring and on the mic heel or not. The Ultimate Warrior was one dimensional, but it was a dimension that people wanted to see indefinitely. John Cena earns his fair share of boos, but his lucrative fan base kept showing up to answer the "CENA SUCKS" chants.

The numbers don't lie, if a heel turn is ever necessary it sure as Hell won't be for a long long time.

Well I can't think of one major long time face that never turned eventually. It is not a case of if, it is simply when and how. I think he will be defending hell champ come mania. I think he will turn at survivor series, win the belt at the rumble lose the title at mania and Seth will cash in the brieface at the end of that match to keep the title in the authority.

Turning heel never hurt Hogans career, if anything it revitalised it also nWo shirt sales were through the roof.

It didn't hurt that Heel Hogan had Sting, Lex Luger, Ric Flair, & Roddy Piper as his main adversaries, that's a great collection of big time main event talents to draw with.

So who is heel Cena going to feud with ? recently face turned Randy Orton ? Man, we've seen that before. Seriously, there are no strong faces on RAW right now, the whole dynamic is basically a bunch of mid carders and nobodies anchored by Cena, at least The Authority has some strong cred as mega heels (though they lose a lot without Orton).

So turning Cena heel doesn't work because he has no opposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back