• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Forgotten Abyss Storyline...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
Okay so, I was in the process of talking to my brother about TNA. The two of us have been watching it for the longest time, and always love to reminisce on forgotten storylines. For example, Tyson Tomko never got his TNA World title shot that he won while in Team Angle (TNA), Curry Man never got his Fired Championship, and what ever happened to the Off the Wagon Challenge Beer Money had (or whatever it's called)?

Eventually, we would let all of these facts and forgotten storylines go and just move on. But there's one question of mine that I personally need answered.

What happened to Abyss' "every match is no DQ" stipulation? It started in, I think, 2009 and was really a nice way to "spice up" the show for hardcore wrestling fans. Maybe I missed something along the lines, but it's still kind of weird seeing some of his matches end under DQ when he's supposed to NOT be DQ'd.

If anyone who could answer this, it would be appreciated.

Just add it to the list of TNA storylines that disappeared without a trace, never to be seen again. I had actually forgotten about that stipulation until I read your post, so thanks for a blast from the past, lol.

Seriously, I don't remember anything specific putting an end to that, I think it just went away like many storylines (and wrestlers) in TNA. Not dissing TNA here, I'm a fan, and I think they've been doing a better job in this area lately, not having so many storylines and people be simply "forgotten", which I'm glad to see. Let's hope they continue that trend, I think they've been doing a good job lately.

everything went away with bischoff...everything new...storylines, stips, etc. Remember that 1/4/10 show was suppose to be a barbed wire massacre match...or monster's ball (cant remember) then bischoff changed it to abyss vs joe reg singles match...and so the hardcore abyss began to diminish

I miss the hardcore insane Abyss. Alays pulling out tacs and things. This needs to return.

Im not sure what happened to this story though.

Lots of things didn't carry over from the pre to post Hogan era. It was a "reboot" in many ways. I know we can't be expected to simply forget or pretend they didn't happen before Hogan et al came in, but that's pretty much what you have to do.

I don't think it's just a thing that changed with Hogan/Bischoff coming in. I don't think we ever found out who kidnapped Joe or what really happened then.

I guess TNA just expects people to forget.

where has Abyss been lately? haven't seen him since the Monsters Ball match with Bully.

I don't think it's just a thing that changed with Hogan/Bischoff coming in. I don't think we ever found out who kidnapped Joe or what really happened then.

I guess TNA just expects people to forget.

where has Abyss been lately? haven't seen him since the Monsters Ball match with Bully.

It's not just TNA that expects people to forget, WWE does the same thing all the time. Who is the secret RAW general manager? why did Taker not want to give HBK a second chance when he asked for one, but now he shows up wanting to fight HHH again? How did Edge and Christian change from being vampire brothers showering people in blood to best buddies in college who spent long times on the road together training to be wrestlers. You could find lots of plot holes in most shows that screened regularly for long periods of time I imagine.

and IIRC, they made mention of the fact that Abyss hasn't been around since Bully beat him in that match last Impact? so although he hasn't been on, at least they mentioned him and sold the fact he was out.

Tomko got his match on Impact. The "Fired" Championship was a joke obviously, the Off The Wagon Challenge ended 3D beat them at Lockdown and was an excuse to write off the released Lance Rock, Jimmy Rave and Petey Williams. Abyss' "All matches No DQ" gimmick was imposed by Dr. Stevie when he was screwing with Abyss. Once he turned on Abyss, the gimmick was obviously over.

Question answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back