90's Region - 4th Round - South Park vs Seinfeld

South Park vs Seinfeld

• South Park

• Seinfeld

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU may think that, but if you look up at the scoreboard more people on here disagree then agree with you. Of course according to you everyone that voted for South Park is an idiot and they only voted that way because they aren't smart enough to understand Seinfeld's humor.

To be honest, it may sound a little bit hasty on my part, but it's accurate in this case. Because the reasons given for voting South Park are immature at best. Saying a show is a 'piece of shit' is insulting the intelligence of whomever likes that show. That being said, not saying you said this, but in the case of this tournament, the majority of people here weren't really old enough to watch it in it's first run, or simply don't 'get' the show. Fair enough.
Lol. No one wants to have one of the most successful shows in television history? That's like saying no one wants to win the lottery because they wouldn't have earned the money. No one can do what South Park does because it is one of a kind. No one can combine all of the elements that South Park does and make it as successful.

Umm, you're making South Park sound like Star Wars. The show's basis and plot is simple. It's not a marvel of TV history. The show is popular among people, but that doesn't make it the best. Critics kill this show on a weekly basis. Just because it entertains you, doesn't make it 'good'.

What does length have to do with fucking anything? Just because it doesn't take long to make doesn't make it inferior.

No. But it being an inferior show with inferior writing, dialogue, characters, and everything makes it ... inferior.

I was comparing your statement that creativity doesn't always make a show the best. The most creative show in the world could also be one of the shittiest. Seinfeld isn't shitty, but it also isn't the greatest show ever.

Glad you see it's a good show. And the reason I like it is because there's not another show that can duplicate it. Anyone can duplicate South Park and be just as big of a hit. It's a cartoon, which makes it limited in what it can do and doesn't limit who can use similar writing and animation to make the same show. Can't do that with Seinfeld.

When did I COMPARE awards. I listed the awards South Park had because you said: "It's low quality, sophomoric humor. It's lowbrow writing." I was just showing that if South Park was really that bad then there is no way it would have won or been nominated for anything.

It won awards for animation. Not it's writing. It was the best animated show. Seinfeld was a best SHOW. Won numerous awards. Simpsons managed to win an Emmy for being the best show. Not ANIMATED show. It's apples and oranges on awards, which is the point I was trying to make.

I prefer South Park. To me (and as it looks now the majority of the people on this forum) it is a better show. I'm not going to shit on Seinfeld and say it was the worst show ever. Like I said in a couple previous posts I actually think it is a fairly good show, just no where near as good as South Park. Your criticism for South Park is mostly baseless bullshit.

Actually, my criticism is based on my opinion. So it's not bullshit. If I made up facts, which I never did, I'd say you're right. But I didn't. I have an opinion and supported it by listing the reasons I like the show, the awards it has won, and why South Park is inferior. And I don't think South Park's awful. I like it. But to compare it to Seinfeld and for it to beat Seinfeld is laughable. But it's a forum tournament. So I'm not losing sleep over this. Good debate though. And even if you're show's winning, I win this debate. :D

Umm, you're making South Park sound like Star Wars.

No, I'm making it sound like a great show. Which it is.

The show's basis and plot is simple. It's not a marvel of TV history. The show is popular among people, but that doesn't make it the best.

What kind of bullshit is that? The fact that a ton of people like the show DOES reinforce the fact that it is great. Shitty TV shows don't stay on the air because people don't watch them. Good TV shows stay on the air because people do watch them. It's a very simple concept.

Critics kill this show on a weekly basis. Just because it entertains you, doesn't make it 'good'.

There is going to be critics that hate every show. And a lot more people are entertained by South Park not just me. Hence the reason it is winning.

No. But it being an inferior show with inferior writing, dialogue, characters, and everything makes it ... inferior.

South Park is better then Seinfeld in every way.

Anyone can duplicate South Park and be just as big of a hit

Again if it is that easy to duplicate then why hasn't anybody done it?

It won awards for animation. Not it's writing. It was the best animated show.

Umm, the writing is part of the reason it did win awards for the best animated show. You can't win the best animated show award if the writing sucks.
Simpsons managed to win an Emmy for being the best show. Not ANIMATED show.

The Simpsons has NEVER won an Emmy for best show. It has never even been nominated. Get your facts straight.

Good debate though. And even if you're show's winning, I win this debate.

That is quite possibly the most false statement you've typed yet.

Reactions: Lee
No, I'm making it sound like a great show. Which it is.

No. You're putting it on a pedestal. It's a good show, but not on the level of Seinfeld.

What kind of bullshit is that? The fact that a ton of people like the show DOES reinforce the fact that it is great. Shitty TV shows don't stay on the air because people don't watch them. Good TV shows stay on the air because people do watch them. It's a very simple concept.

Actually, good shows get canceled on a pretty regular basis. Arrested Development, Sports Night, Dead Like Me. All were good shows that were critically acclaimed. But one thing you're dealing with here is a man who has a degree in ... wait for it ... Electronic Media Production! That entails me to know what sells, what advertisers want, and what would be a quality show to make the most money. South Park does that in their merchandise sales. Not their ratings. Seinfeld earned its money based purely on DVD sales and syndication revenue it earns by airing 5 days a week on broadcast TV and on TBS in the United States. Television's not that simple.

There is going to be critics that hate every show. And a lot more people are entertained by South Park not just me. Hence the reason it is winning.

I'll go with the argument that this is the same forum that apparently thought Alien was the greatest movie of all time and thinks that Stan Hansen could lose to Christian, and Benoit could beat Hogan in his prime because it's a Cage match. South Park will probably win, but only because the fan base is younger, which means the show doesn't appeal to them as much as the potty humor of South Park. It's common sense.

South Park is better then Seinfeld in every way.

No. It's not.

Again if it is that easy to duplicate then why hasn't anybody done it?

Family Guy, AquaTeen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, American Dad, Cleveland Show. All those ring a bell?

Umm, the writing is part of the reason it did win awards for the best animated show. You can't win the best animated show award if the writing sucks.

Probably can. To qualify, you must be animated and the Simpsons broke that barrier by being animated AND earning an Emmy nod.

The Simpsons has NEVER won an Emmy for best show. It has never even been nominated. Get your facts straight.

My apologies. Misread my resources. But that doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior show.

That is quite possibly the most false statement you've typed yet.

Nah. But I can say this though. Even if South Park wins, Seinfeld's still a better show.

No. You're putting it on a pedestal. It's a good show, but not on the level of Seinfeld.

If I am putting it on a pedestal then so are millions of other people who think the same way I do.

Actually, good shows get canceled on a pretty regular basis. Arrested Development, Sports Night, Dead Like Me. All were good shows that were critically acclaimed.

You keep talking about critics. The critics are just regular people like everyone else. There is nothing that makes them better suited to judge TV shows over anyone else. The critics don't decide what's on the air, the people do. South Park is going to be entering its 14th season so obviously it is a good show that people enjoy watching.

That entails me to know what sells, what advertisers want, and what would be a quality show to make the most money. South Park does that in their merchandise sales. Not their ratings.

I don't care how much merchandise you sell, if the show sucks it is irrelevant. Shows don't stay on the air because of merchandise sales. And trust me South Park's ratings are fine. It is the show that put Comedy Central on the map. To this day it is still the highest rated show on Comedy Central.

Seinfeld earned its money based purely on DVD sales and syndication revenue it earns by airing 5 days a week on broadcast TV and on TBS in the United States.

You act like Seinfeld is the only show being syndicated. South Park in addition to Comedy Central can also be seen on MY Network TV, and now MTV as well. That's pretty damn good for a cable show that's still on the air.
Family Guy, AquaTeen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, American Dad, Cleveland Show. All those ring a bell?

That's like me comparing The Office, Friends, and Cheers to Seinfled. Those shows you listed may have a few similarities but they are not even close to being the same as South Park.
Nah. But I can say this though. Even if South Park wins, Seinfeld's still a better show.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Although we all know I'm right.

Seinfel is good. But it is overrated. South Park will always be my favourite comedy ever because it finds the balance of immature and intelligence. People who think they are above immature humour are just irritating. If you haven't got some immaturity left in you, then I feel sorry for you. You're the kind of person who'll end up so bitter in your later years. There's nothing wrong with a bit of childishness.

As for South Park's supposed reliance on pop culture, well.... So what? South Park does it properly. It doesn't just occasionally take a jab at a celebrity like Family Guy or Simpsons. It gives real reasons and a real message, which can only bee a good thing. No other show has ever done that, so if anything South Park should be praised for that.

Also, they have some awesome episodes that aren't based on popular culture. Scott Tenorman Must Die, Cat Orgy, Pre-School and Super Fun Time are all great episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back